petrameansrock
04-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Im just not sure....I usually pray, and alot of times he will give me what I ask for, but then take it away not long after. It hurts alot. Why does he constantly give things just to take them away?

Isildur9473
04-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Do you think that it's not God that takes things away, but other people...? At least in this situation.

unshakeable15
04-17-2006, 05:50 PM
The point of prayer isn't to get what we want out of it. Hardly. Instead, it's to communicate with God. And in the instance of asking for something, He already knows what you want, so why ask? We ask not to let God know what we want, but so that, over time, our wants twist and form to be God's wants.

As for getting what you ask for, then losing it, maybe that's the point, not to rely on the things you ask for as the point of prayer.

Or maybe, as Greg stated, God didn't take them away. Through our own choices and the choices other make, we affect the things of Heaven, for good and for bad.

zeroneff
04-17-2006, 05:56 PM
becuse if you always have it you're way there is no point in life..

I ask stuff too and make it up yo him somehow

theelectric3
04-17-2006, 10:43 PM
The point of prayer isn't to get what we want out of it. Hardly. Instead, it's to communicate with God. And in the instance of asking for something, He already knows what you want, so why ask? We ask not to let God know what we want, but so that, over time, our wants twist and form to be God's wants.

As for getting what you ask for, then losing it, maybe that's the point, not to rely on the things you ask for as the point of prayer.

Or maybe, as Greg stated, God didn't take them away. Through our own choices and the choices other make, we affect the things of Heaven, for good and for bad.

i couldn't agree more.

planet_kosmos
04-19-2006, 12:43 AM
I don't understand when people say I asked God about it and he said yes or no or something like that. How do they get this response from him? Any help appreciated.

zeroneff
04-21-2006, 07:31 PM
what are you talking about?....

You pray and ask and there always a response
It cold be good or negative

planet_kosmos
04-21-2006, 10:24 PM
I dunno, like when when people ask God what they should do with their life and stuff.

aliengurl7
04-21-2006, 11:25 PM
I don't understand when people say I asked God about it and he said yes or no or something like that. How do they get this response from him? Any help appreciated.

Well, it isnt him actually telling you, yes or no, verbally, its more like you discerning if your prayer was answered by God or if it was a mere coincidence. Its a matter of faith,and sometimes you just know it was him telling you im going to do this for you, and sometimes he gives signs or maybe for some it was that little voice in their head telling them so. He speaks in different ways but if you listen,you can hear Him.

lamb_servant72
04-22-2006, 01:17 PM
The point of prayer isn't to get what we want out of it. Hardly. Instead, it's to communicate with God.
I agree 100%.

And in the instance of asking for something, He already knows what you want, so why ask? Because Jesus tells us to.

1) In the parable of Luke 18, Jesus was showing the disciples to keep praying and not lose heart by saying the widow got what she wanted from the judge because she kept asking him. He didn't want her to bug him anymore.

2) James 4:2 "You do not have because you do not ask."

We ask not to let God know what we want,
Disagree. I think it could be dangerous to say this to young believers. God has to build their faith. One way He does that is by answering those prayers.

but so that, over time, our wants twist and form to be God's wants.
Agree. This comes as the relationship grows in love and trust. (I think that may have been your point of the entire sentence, but I wanted to break it up so young believers wouldn't be discouraged if they are in the early stages of prayer.)

The last part is an awsome point, Mike. As we grow in God, we can state what we would like to see happen in a situation, but the bottom line becomes what God wants. We want that more than anything because we've learned His ways are higher than our ways. It really changes the way we pray. Eventually, we just tell Him the situation, and don't even have a "this is what I would like to see happen" list.

Relationship is a two way street. We pray, too, to see what God wants: in a situation, for us to do that day, etc. How can we get our "marching orders" as soldiers in Christ if we are not spending time with the Commander?

Yes, this can be dangerous. If we are only following God if He does what we want, we still have alot to learn about servanthood. This is where alot of people give up. I am so thankful that He is patient with us as we learn this!

Perhaps God is giving you what you want, so that you will know He is hearing you, but because it's not the best thing for you, He's taking it away. Just a thought.

To answer the original question: Yes. God answers prayers. Sometimes it's "Yes", sometimes it's "No" and sometimes it's "Not in the way you think."

Some people do hear God more easily than others. There are several reasons for this, and I won't go into that now.

But, as we grow in our communication with God, He says alot more than Yes and No. He has a pretty big vocab.;D

unshakeable15
04-25-2006, 06:36 PM
Because Jesus tells us to.

1) In the parable of Luke 18, Jesus was showing the disciples to keep praying and not lose heart by saying the widow got what she wanted from the judge because she kept asking him. He didn't want her to bug him anymore.

2) James 4:2 "You do not have because you do not ask."

Yes, Jesus does tell us to pray and that's a good reason. But it shouldn't be the only reason. i follow a God of reason (though He not always be "logical"). Behind every command there is a purpose other than the parent fave "Because i said so."

Although, my response is pretty moot because that question wasn't a true question but simply an way to get to my point following it. ("We ask not to let God know what we want, but so that, over time, our wants twist and form to be God's wants.")

And i see your point over the new Christian, praying to see God answer prayers. But i realize i meant what i said, but didn't fully say what i mean.

When we pray to let God know what we want, He already knows, like any best friend should. Before your blood brother says that his father died of a heart attack, you should sense something wrong by his posture, facial expression, unusual behavior... So you know what's on his heart is something burdensome and meaningful, you just don't know what. God, on the other hand, does, having the divine ability to see within the hearts of men. However, in praying to the Lord, He takes your wants and burdens and everything else you pray about and lets you forget about them (if you let him take them). So you don't need to tell him, but it's best to do so since it gives God more freedom to release you of things you've held onto.

There is more, but that's all that i really want to tighten up on that point.

Pretendeavor
04-25-2006, 06:52 PM
i dont think he hears me sometimes....

packmule3
04-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Some times God doesnít answer our prayers because he knows what is best for us ever though It doesnít make sense. When we pray, we need to make sure we arenít demanding everything to be set down on a silver platter. We need to ask for his will to be done in a situation. He loves us and knows what is the very best for us. I cant stress that enough. Remember we have tiny little brains and we just cant see every thing. But God can, he knows the future and he may just be preparing you for it or making you stronger. God is bigger than every problem. He has the answer. Do NOT stop praying. Ask him for wisdom. Ask him to show himself real to you. He will. Have patience. Sometimes he says wait. sure its hard and we may not like it. God knows best. Just believe. Donít give up. He is alway there for you.

monkey-butt
04-27-2006, 08:15 AM
i couldn't agree more.
i agree with tracy, when god doesn't answer a prayer it doesn't mean he don't care, he still does he is just pull away but he never leaves your side you may feel distance but he will never forsake you in that way.

thanks
kelly