skillet_fan2011
04-21-2006, 02:07 PM
I think we all know the answer to that, yeah it is good to be a Jesus freak. Who cares if you get called a Jesus freak? I certainly don't. I get calle the most religious 12 year old girl sometimes. I like being called that. It makes me feel better and let's me know I am influenicing(sp) other people. I have converted a few people to Christ, and when you do that, it feels really good. So being a Jesus freak is good. :)

zeroneff
04-21-2006, 05:23 PM
Cool I have one of the four books

drumchick101
04-22-2006, 04:12 PM
Phew, I thought you were starting an awful debate about how being "too forward" with your faith can be a bad thing. Personally, I think that is an annoying aurgument because we were called to be sanctified and called to give the message. I really don't want to remember what life is like when I'm not one.

Rant over...carry on.

><sarah><

Isildur9473
04-22-2006, 08:15 PM
I like being who I am.

sky_flashings
04-23-2006, 03:54 AM
Phew, I thought you were starting an awful debate about how being "too forward" with your faith can be a bad thing. Personally, I think that is an annoying aurgument because we were called to be sanctified and called to give the message. I really don't want to remember what life is like when I'm not one.

Rant over...carry on.

><sarah><
*shrugs* I dunno...coming from a "non-Christian" view, when someone calls themself a Jesus Freak, they are usaully looked upon as a fantic, bible thumper, or retard. Perhaps it is only my experience that says that, but if you look at movies and stuff, a majority of Christians are veiwed as nutcases. It never really seemed to help when they were walk around calling themselves "Jesus Freaks" either. I understand what it means and have no issue with people calling themselves that, but I know a lot of people would be put off by it. Many of my friends, for example, would make fun of or avoid someone who deemed theirself a "Jesus Freak" because they don't want to get preached at. The only reason these people didn't see me as one of "them" was because I didn't try to throw my religion in their face, which is how they view it. Later on, however, they would ask questions about why I was a certain way or why Christians did this or that, and I'd answer their questions, but not until I knew them personally and knew where they were in life. To me it just seems that proclaiming to the world that you're a "Jesus Freak" will only make people laugh, and seperate yourself from relating to those who need God...

sky_flashings
04-23-2006, 04:23 AM
Ok, before I even let anyone respond, I think I should make myself a little bit clearer. Being a Jesus Freak, as described in the books written by DC Talk, etc., is not in itself a bad thing. I agree that we should be living our lives, ready to die for our faith or whatever. But the point I'm trying to make, is that when people run around calling themselves Jesus Freaks, others tend to be put off by it. In my experience, most people don't wnat to be preached at or hear "the good news", so they don't want people in their face about God. To some, when a person gets a little out there and starts spamming their Jesus Freakness, they look at them like Bible thumpers and don't often want to hear what they have to say on religion.
These are just things I've observed...

lamb_servant72
04-23-2006, 05:00 AM
I know what you are saying, Katye. Nothing is better than living your life for Him. I was in your shoes when I was 12.

But, I see what Sky is saying, too. I can look back and see where I turned off alot of people. I wish I had been more sensitive to the Holy Spirit's leading in every situation back then.

Remember that Jesus actually hated the religious people (Pharisees) of His day. He hated religion.

I don't like to be called "religous". Reliegion says you have to be a certain way, do things a certain way, you have a list of do's and dont's to be "good enough". I'd rather be spiritual than religious.

terrasin
04-23-2006, 12:14 PM
I think I am rubbing off on Sky a bit. hehe

I think that one thing that has always irritated me about Christianity is that a lot of people do feel the need to throw it in everyones faces. You see it on t-shirts, in books, in music, etc. And while I'm not opposed to "not being ashamed to let people know you are a believer", I'm also not in favor of looking like a billboard. As the story in my signature talks about, the best way to reach people is by keeping your mouth shut and just letting them watch the way you live.

The mistake that all these big events like Acquire the Fire, Crusades, and all these other christian events make is that they think this is a numbers game. "Lets get as many people saved as we can." And then they go boasting about "well, we had 80,000 people saved at our crusade last year." Good for you. Go see how many of them are still on the right track a year later and I'm willing to bet that at least 98% went back to their old way of living. They seem to think a phone call is all they need to do to follow up or that "finding them a church and mailing them spam for the next 50 years" will help them keep on the right track when they need to have deeper involvment with them from the time they accept through the next few months. You don't put someone in the army and send them to the war the following day without training and mentoring. These people need to have that one on one relationship with people in order to stay on track and you can't do that with a phone call a week or a month later. The following day they will just wake up and be back to the same things as two days before without giving a real thought about what happened the previous night. after all, we live in a fast paced, apathetic society that is impatient and selfish.

I've also heard the nutcracked theroy that "Well, as long as those 2% stay, that's 2% that wasn't saved before." Those people should be either slapped or shot for saying that, I'm not sure which. Think of all the people they are leaving behind and could have reached if they would have just taken more care and time into doing a deeper followup. Think of all those people who went back to their lives who had a real desire, but it was lost a week later because they didn't have those people to help them their first few weeks so they basically said "screw it". It's wrong and twisted and a shame that they do things this way, because they leave all those people in the dust to fend for themselves.

Some people may not see things in the way I do. Some people here may have a story of becoming a believer at one of these events. That's good for you, but that's a minority. Chances are that you already had some involvment in the church before that. Chances are, you had a really good friend who was there for you after it. But that is the minority at these things. And I know the train is getting derailed at this point, but I just wanted to get this across. I've seen first hand the results and they would be considered the worst if there were a Consumer Reports for religions.

In any event, read the story in my sig if you've not read it already. I encourage people to reach others by them watching your own life rather than throwing it at them. Let them come to you with questions to be answered, not you approach them with the answers before they can ask the question.

CJ

as~i~lay~dying
04-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Ok, My thoughts, yes it is good to be called a Jesus freak. We are supposed to let everyone know the salvation we have whether it is by telling them or simply by our acions. No, we should never "beat" it onto anyone or be harsh, but we are not supposed to keep it hidden~ I am proud to be different, to be a hardcore christian girl, to a Jesus "freak" =)

drumchick101
04-24-2006, 05:23 PM
Well, as far as the whole christian tee shirt thing, I wear them because I like them. I wear Detroit Red Wings shirts because I like the Red Wings. I wear christian tee shirts simply because I love Jesus. However, I understand what you are saying. I think it's all about in being yourself. In music, sing about Jesus if it comes natually, not because people call you a "chrisitan band." Trust me, it's easy to tell the difference.

But where my discrepancy comes is with my growing heart for the lost. I love God with everything in me and I see no other reason for living so, naturally I will talk about it from time to time. But I can't bear to think that I have gone to school with the people I have and I have not evangelized them. This hit me hard when I discovered that I was moving away from my school for my senior year. I have no more time with them and I can only pray that those I did get a chance to minister to will grap ahold of God.

I think this is deeper than reputations and what people think about the church and christianity. God will have His way no matter what they think before it happens. It's more about the mission.

><sarah><

disciple
04-24-2006, 05:27 PM
I like being who I am.
More or less, I agree. But, I'm not going to get into complicated details, so for now, I'll just agree and be on with it.

Isildur9473
04-24-2006, 05:37 PM
With that whole evangelism thing, is it really necessary to think that it's our duty to change the way everyone thinks? Things like that tend to keep people away from religions, at least they do for me. Why don't we just live our lives and let people do what they feel like?

PinkGoo
04-24-2006, 05:51 PM
With that whole evangelism thing, is it really necessary to think that it's our duty to change the way everyone thinks? Things like that tend to keep people away from religions, at least they do for me. Why don't we just live our lives and let people do what they feel like?
FORECAST FOR THIS THREAD:

Expect large amount of flaming within the next 24 hours. Could be extremely hazardous. 60% chance of total incineration.

aliengurl7
04-24-2006, 05:54 PM
Its better to be called a jesus freak then a satan freak...

disciple
04-24-2006, 06:25 PM
60% chance of total incineration.
Wow, 60? I mean, did you go through time-constricting analyses to get that figure?

PinkGoo
04-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Wow, 60? I mean, did you go through time-constricting analyses to get that figure?

Well, yes. The actual figure is a little bit closer to 61%, but I prefer to provide forecasts with even numbers. Don't worry, my supervisor agreed.

disciple
04-24-2006, 07:01 PM
Well, yes. The actual figure is a little bit closer to 61%, but I prefer to provide forecasts with even numbers. Don't worry, my supervisor agreed.
Ah, I see. I prefer to round things out, myself. I usually round to the nearest integer of 5.

PinkGoo
04-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Ah, I see. I prefer to round things out, myself. I usually round to the nearest integer of 5.

Ahh, excellent choice. My personal policy is quite similar.

Isildur9473
04-24-2006, 07:09 PM
I like bean burritos more than the number 60.

disciple
04-24-2006, 07:10 PM
All right, all right... let's not allow things to get out of hand... ::]

Jesus_Skater
04-25-2006, 04:13 AM
I like bean burritos more than the number 60.

bean burritos... that was kind of random (FOOOD!!) ;D

drumchick101
04-25-2006, 08:12 AM

First off, I respect your opinion and I will not incinerate you ;).

But our "duty"--if that's what you'll call it--is to give them the message more so than change their minds. Why give them the messege?

"Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit."
matt 28:19

"17The high priest and his friends, who were Sadducees, reacted with violent jealousy. 18They arrested the apostles and put them in the jail. 19But an angel of the Lord came at night, opened the gates of the jail, and brought them out. Then he told them, 20"Go to the Temple and give the people this message of life!" 21So the apostles entered the Temple about daybreak and immediately began teaching."
acts 5:17-21

Now, I'm not too much for badgering people into "believeing" the message, but how can they accept it if we don't give it?

-sarah

skilletfreak101
04-25-2006, 08:34 AM
"Body and soul, I'm a Freak" -Silverchair

sky_flashings
04-25-2006, 09:14 AM
That's exactly the kind of problem I'm talking about...People like Greg come in here and...oh wait... ;)

No really, too many times people feel that if they don't go out and save the whole world, that they're not being a Christian. If you ask Christians how they were saved, most of them don't say, "Well, my friend preached to me one day, and I realized I was an evil sinner who needed Christ." Usually what happens is over time the words and actions of those close to them show them that there's a need for God in their lives.

This kinda relates to the issue of which way is the best to witness. Perhaps it's just me, but if someone came up to me today wearing their Christian shirt and shouting to the world that they're a Jesus Freak, and then telling me that I'm a sinner and needed Christ, I'd shove them out of the house. I mean, how many people like to hear that they're going to hell and sinning and offending God?

drumchick101
04-25-2006, 05:02 PM
That's why you don't whitness like that. Beleive or not, evangelism is an annointing and I'm not a fan of evangelism in the masses. My definition of evangelism is: just love the one in front of you. Don't preach at them...love them. When they ask...tell them why. Simply, not throwing it at them as if it's a pill that they need to take.

><sarah><

P.S. I hate getting into the whole "good christian--bad christian" thing, because there is no such. But I know that that's not what you were trying to get at.