NightCrawler
04-26-2006, 08:01 PM
What do y'all think about prayer, meditation and quietism (or anything else about calming yourself/spiritual focus)?

Of course, I believe that the first two are not stressed enough in society.

Then people might say to this, "But I hear 'the power of prayer' so often, what are you talkin' about?"... Well, we don't pray enough. Not because prayer in itself is powerful, but the relationship and the listener IS.

And further, people might go "meditation?... you mean the bullcrap stuph about 'oooooooooooom.........oooooooooooooooommm'?" ... Yes and no. More like quieting yourself and talking to God/studying His word, reflection and application.

Quietism, I believe is more of a monk thing. Vowing to silence and stuph.

What are y'all's thoughts?

disciple
04-26-2006, 08:06 PM
I'm in favor of all of them, clearly. The latter-most is not for everyone, but it's certainly a good way to center yourself.

unshakeable15
04-26-2006, 10:52 PM
A couple weeks ago, i took a day where i practiced being quiet. Didn't work too well because i had instances i needed to talk, but it was something that was interesting to do. i will probably do it again on a day i will be able to truly be quiet.

Of the others, i'd say meditation is the least practiced. People don't want to slow down and take time to just be. *raises hand to show inclusion within that very group* But if we don't take time to listen to the wind, or hear the stars sing, we lose connection with life itself and forget that we are part of a bigger picture.

skilletfreak101
04-27-2006, 08:43 AM
What do y'all think about prayer, meditation and quietism (or anything else about calming yourself/spiritual focus)?

Of course, I believe that the first two are not stressed enough in society.

Then people might say to this, "But I hear 'the power of prayer' so often, what are you talkin' about?"... Well, we don't pray enough. Not because prayer in itself is powerful, but the relationship and the listener IS.

And further, people might go "meditation?... you mean the bullcrap stuph about 'oooooooooooom.........oooooooooooooooommm'?" ... Yes and no. More like quieting yourself and talking to God/studying His word, reflection and application.

Quietism, I believe is more of a monk thing. Vowing to silence and stuph.

What are y'all's thoughts?
well it might just be my opinion, but it seems to me that quietism is more of a religious type of thing. i don't really follow any religions...i just have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. i do believe in prayer tho...i know that prayer is powerful and a means of talking to God. meditation is just forgetting about everything else in life and being with God...because only then can He show you things.

disciple
04-27-2006, 09:05 AM
Of the others, i'd say meditation is the least practiced. People don't want to slow down and take time to just be. *raises hand to show inclusion within that very group* But if we don't take time to listen to the wind, or hear the stars sing, we lose connection with life itself and forget that we are part of a bigger picture.
Yes, that is why the Chozo went to Tallon IV, to get in touch wi...

Oh, sorry... *embarrassed look* Wrong thread to discuss that. ;D

But what you said is true. People don't take time to just sit in silence and meditate...

alorian
04-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Hahah :P

I know that silent meditation has helped me dearly.

NightCrawler
04-28-2006, 08:47 PM
What about places/times for meditation and prayer? I mean, Jesus specified in Matt. 6 how it is supposed to be personal, that it isn't for show (he gave an example of the extreme -- going to a closet). But what have you found to be best personally?

Oddly, I specifically make it so I pray with the shower rushing hot (hottest I can bear practically) down my body when I am curled up into a ball in the tub.

I also like the rock/rapids that is set up in the middle of the river at the park.

Other times, I like to just walk. And still others, driving or in bed.

404not_found
04-29-2006, 01:44 AM
For me, alone in the dark in my room or out back by the pond at night. Basically anywhere at night thats quiet and cool, preferably outside near water or under trees.

Or just walking the trail alone.

alorian
04-29-2006, 09:07 PM
I like to pray and worship in the shower with hot water going. It's peaceful and solitary.

Places to meditate etc: shower, my room though not often, mountains, quiet area outside, the roof, unheavenly hours when all else are asleep

disciple
04-29-2006, 09:09 PM
I use the shower strictly as a cleaning and wake-up apparatus. ::]

Places I often pray, worship, meditate, etc.: Just my room, usually on my bed or in my "thinking chair". If I do it anywhere else it's spontaneous, random, or inspired.

alorian
04-29-2006, 09:10 PM
My room and any place that I can be found doesn't work. Too many interruptions. I like to add 5 minutes to shower time for meditation, when I'm not too sleep :P

NightCrawler
04-30-2006, 07:28 PM
I like the shower because it is solitary, and because it gets me into a routine of going to God at the start of the day.

alorian
05-01-2006, 08:04 PM
*nods* Into the routine of going to God at the start of the day.

TheFireBreathes
05-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Anyone ever heard of saying amen after they wake up from praying the night before?

One of my leaders sometimes does this and I dont get it. Maybe its like if he's expecting God to show him something in his dream but thats the reason I can think of.

disciple
05-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Perhaps he feels closer to God, like he's communicating with God, in his sleep.

NightCrawler
07-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Anyone ever heard of saying amen after they wake up from praying the night before?

One of my leaders sometimes does this and I dont get it. Maybe its like if he's expecting God to show him something in his dream but thats the reason I can think of.

Probably had a bad habit at school.

You fall asleep, when you wake up... you gotta say "amen" otherwise the teachers will discipline you for sleeping in class. But really, they won't have any proof. You were 'praying'.

;)

alorian
07-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Hahah that's excellent. Why didn't I ever think of that? ::] :P

NightCrawler
07-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Umm... do you like mushrooms?... That's why.

alorian
07-13-2006, 06:37 AM
Pfffffffft hahah.

I'd like to practice meditation more often, but it's hard for me to find distraction-free places.

NightCrawler
07-13-2006, 07:38 AM
My friend suggested something. Go to a silent spot. Feel the silence, let it course through you, become the silence. ... Very mystic o_O