planet_kosmos
04-30-2006, 03:44 PM
I was wondering what you guys thought about Sunday and keeping it holy. What do you guys think we should and shouldn't do on Sunday?
I do understand that this has changed because of the culture and was wondering what you thought about that too. Has Christianity become slacker over generations? and if so what can we do to prevent this?

Isildur9473
04-30-2006, 04:20 PM
I treat Sunday like any other day. I don't really see much of a reason to do otherwise.

skilltroks
04-30-2006, 04:48 PM
If you want to work on Sunday then work. If you complain about how burnt out you are...then you shouldn't have worked on Sunday. And shouldn't every day be holy?

as~i~lay~dying
04-30-2006, 06:57 PM
Wow ... good thread~ I am interested to read different opinions, I myself don't really have an opinion, I generally treat sunday as any other day~ Am I wrong in this? I am not sure...

NightCrawler
04-30-2006, 07:34 PM
Umm... devote every day to God, glorifying Him and displaying His love and wisdom. Work 6 days of the week, and keep one of them free from work.

It is simple. There is no better day than another, just as Jews are no better than Gentiles, yet they are treated differently.

unshakeable15
04-30-2006, 09:33 PM
Whether your Shabbat (Sabbath) is Sunday, Saturday, or Thursday, it doesn't matter. But you need a day to rest, to separate yourself from your usual routine and not have a to-do list longer than your arm. If mowing the lawn is resting to you, go for it; if it's work, hold off.

I, for one, don't like doing homework on Sundays, but i occasionally (like today) end up doing it (thankfully today's is just reading a novel for a mini-paper due Tuesday). Whenever that happens, i feel cheated out of a Shabbat.

planet_kosmos
05-01-2006, 12:21 AM
Shabbat? I've never heard of that before.

NightCrawler
05-01-2006, 05:59 AM
Hebrew for Sabbath...?

riz
05-01-2006, 08:12 AM
Jesus kind of nullified the idea that we MUST observe the Sabbath on Sunday (or Saturday, which is that Sabbath in the Jewish faith). He even performed miracles on that day, which kind of irked the Pharisees.

Having a day to rest isn't a bad idea to have though; I like Sundays being very relaxing and work-less. Sadly, when it comes down to the end of the semester, these 'relaxing days without work' are few and far between.

amodman
05-01-2006, 08:50 AM
Jesus kind of nullified the idea that we MUST observe the Sabbath on Sunday (or Saturday, which is that Sabbath in the Jewish faith). He even performed miracles on that day, which kind of irked the Pharisees.

Having a day to rest isn't a bad idea to have though; I like Sundays being very relaxing and work-less. Sadly, when it comes down to the end of the semester, these 'relaxing days without work' are few and far between.

Or maybe he was teaching them a lesson about caring for the poor and needy first before worrying about their own well being? I don't like the Christian sentiment that Jesus is so great because he "abolished" all the "commands" given to us in the Old Testament. Christ was here to re-affirm the principles that the Jewish people were supposed to be exhibiting to the rest of the world as well as give himself up on the Crucifiction. What one has to keep in mind when reading the commands God gave ancient Israel is that the commands were given to ancient Israel (though some, like the Sabbath, were to be a "statute for God's people forever"). First we must understand the literal - That God commanded a day of rest and worship to him on the seventh day of the week, and then extract a principle, that God expects at least as much attention to him as we can give in our lives. However, when you are not caring for others and doing what's needed of you, your worship is offensive and counter-intuitive to God (though this may be another message entirely...it all goes together). Maybe rather than say, "Hah! Jesus defied the Pharisees and didn't observe the Sabbath!" We should say, "Huh, what was Christ trying to teach us when the Pharisees accused him of violating God's commands?"

p.s. And since we're on the subject, I don't believe Christ rose on a Sunday. Not that it really matters (the day), I just think it's ridiculous how hard some Christians hold onto that notion when it's pretty clear it's something that was implemented into the church to have the Christian holy day the same as the Sun god, the same as Easter and Christmas had their days arbitrarily chosen to line up with pagan holidays. If God's Son tells us he rose again on his Father's appointed Sabbath day, I'm gonna freaking believe him.

unshakeable15
05-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Hebrew for Sabbath...?
Yup. (http://www.jewfaq.org/shabbat.htm)

skilletfreak101
05-02-2006, 12:56 PM
the sabbath is saturday...not sunday...hooray

drumchick101
05-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Well, I go to church and that is set in stone as a day that I don't "forsake the assembling" because meeting corperatly is important (but I don't believe it's a cause to freak out if you don't go, it's just better to be around other believers). I like to cut out work and only leave a little bit of light homework and chill out. I beleive that God the Father was setting an example when He rested on the seventh day of creation. The word "recreation" comes from the word "recreate" and I believe that it's essential to take time to chill and let your life and self catch up with each other once a week or on a regular basis. It's just good.

><sarah><

NightCrawler
07-11-2006, 09:09 PM
I'd warn y'all to stay away from Seventh Day Adventism.

Even though I am all for the Sabbath being observed on Saturdays

dawn of light
07-12-2006, 05:24 AM
I don't know much about Seventh Day Adventism. What made you bring it up?

skynes
07-12-2006, 12:43 PM
I was wondering what you guys thought about Sunday and keeping it holy. What do you guys think we should and shouldn't do on Sunday?
I do understand that this has changed because of the culture and was wondering what you thought about that too. Has Christianity become slacker over generations? and if so what can we do to prevent this?

If you get bogged down into Do's and Don'ts in Christianity then Saturday/Sunday is the least of your problems.

Personally I don't care too much. the point of the Sabbath was to give us a day of rest, one set aside from the others. What day that is, is gonna vary for different people.

I beleive God does nothing half-assed. It's all or nothing with him and He makes truth solidly clear with no exceptions.

since firefighters, policemen, doctors etc. All have to work Sundays for a good reason, then I highly doubt God is going to smite them if they use a Tuesday instead.

NightCrawler
07-12-2006, 10:59 PM
I don't know much about Seventh Day Adventism. What made you bring it up?

I know a lot of SDAs. I have this underlying tone I get from them in that it is like they think they are more righteous because they do it on the 7th day of the week, having sunday being the first day of the week.

So, talking about the Sabbath, this comes up with them. They point out how they got it right, and most protestant denominations just plain don't listen to the Bible.

But I will call SDAs pharisees sooner than accept that notion. ... that, and I have read a lot online about the 'denomination' of SDA being a wide-spread cult.

dawn of light
07-13-2006, 05:46 AM
Ok. Thanks for the info.

I personally believe that it doesn't matter which day you take the Sabbath. As long as you set aside time for rest, for yourself and for God. I would say for me generally Sunday would be the day, although I usually go to church on Saturday evenings rather than Sunday mornings because I like to sleep in. I only go on Sunday mornings if I'm volunteering.