Isildur9473
05-07-2006, 02:25 PM
We don't have a thread about it yet, as disciple so kindly mentioned in the thread about teaching kids about homosexuals in public schools. I have no idea why I said "so kindly", I just think it's a pretty cool phrase. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic with that remark.

I for one am all for public school, I see a lot more merit in it than a home school type enviornment. What about you guys?

disciple
05-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Uh, I didn't say there wasn't, I said I could've sworn there was, but now that I think of it, all the debate was in the Homeschool thread. But I think it's nice for it to have its own thread, no?

zeroneff
05-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Im not sure but you have set the mind of you're child of what you expect from them... that if you send them to public

skilletfreak101
05-07-2006, 02:50 PM
i'm homeschooled. i'm down with either way...i mean, i'm homeschooled and i still have a great social life.

disciple
05-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Both sides of the argument, in my opinion, have valuable points.

It is true that it is very difficult to homeschool a child and get 'im to comprehend some of the social things that a kid in public school could learn soon...

Bleh, I will return sometime when my brain isn't fried to hold up both sides of the argument ('cause that's what I'm good at -- being neutral. :D)

skilletfreak101
05-07-2006, 05:38 PM
the homeschool program i do is where they basically just send you a bunch of homework..so you just do it all and the parents don't exactly need to do alot..it's pretty sweet

Isildur9473
05-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Im not sure but you have set the mind of you're child of what you expect from them... that if you send them to public

Can you reprhase that so it makes at least a little bit of sense?

disciple
05-07-2006, 06:02 PM
He means "When you send your kid to school, you need to set their mind in the right direction, point them to your expectations."

At least, that's what I thought he said.

LORIPETERSFAN
05-07-2006, 06:11 PM
I am homeschooled!

amodman
05-07-2006, 07:38 PM
I went to private scool, and I know some who did the same system at home. Common consensus, it sucks. It was freaking retarded. Ya, we all were able to get through it a lot easier (happened to be good at the system). But, A. Because I was good at the system, I was able to slack off a lot more. & B. I hardly know anyone in this freaking town because, uh, I went to school with like 10 other people. It's pretty retarded. At the very least, kids need to go to high school. A few years in an alternate system doesn't hurt, so maybe priv or home until middle school wouldn't be too ridiculous (because high school style schooling might be a schock to start off in for some).

pizza brain
05-07-2006, 09:12 PM
I think it all depends on the public/private schools in your area. If they suck so hard you can feel the breez in the next state then homeschool the kid[s]. If you have a good public or private school available send the kid[s] there so they can have more of a sochal life.

Undomiel
05-08-2006, 06:23 AM
i'm homeschooled and i have never felt that homeschooling takes away from the social life. i mean you still get together with alot of people including public schooled kids.

NightCrawler
05-08-2006, 07:15 AM
I am feeling similar sentiments as Undomiel. However, my sister has (since high school) felt that she was missing out. So my mom put her in vocational education courses. She slacked really hard on her homeschoolwork, and she got A's at the VocEd... She had a social life, but she hated the drama of boyfriends and people being stupid.

Both have pluses and minuses, I just see more pluses for homeschoolin' side. For example, in Mount Pleasant, MI... the homeschoolers have harder material than the private schools, and the private schools have harder material than the public schools.

The homeschoolers usually get done with school sooner (and start later), and they usually know many skills -- but much less opportunities for skills and things that are expensive (like car mechanics, or broadcasting) and require formal training, depending on various varying variables.

mk kid
05-08-2006, 09:55 AM
i was homeschooled quite a bit. dont mind public school or the kids in public school. but i am still a homeschooler all the way. i think it is the choice of the child and their parent. i also believe that homeschoolers are quite well ajusted, and that we have a social life as well.

terrasin
05-08-2006, 12:31 PM
I've been to public school, homeschooled, and privite school. I see both sides of the story. My public school life was hell. I'll leave it at that but as I said in the last thread, nothing good came from my schoolastic life in public school after 4th grade.

Privite school was alright, but it was a christian school and I feel I could have gotten more out of it. For instance, my science class was very narrow minded and only taught the christian perspective. The other thing was that there were no arts classes since it was a small school. No music, no art, no nothing. We did have a lot of freedom at that school though.

Homeschool... well lets just say I accomplished nothing. Literally. I found many more interesting things to do with my day rather than school. So that didn't last too long.

CJ

terrasin
05-08-2006, 12:33 PM
When it comes down to it, my children, when I have them someday, will be my own fashion of homeschool. I will not stick to popular and typical curriculums. School needs to be a hands on thing, not sticking your nose in a book and sitting in a room for hours at a time. If people aren't interested, they won't learn.

CJ

somasoul
05-08-2006, 04:00 PM
My wife and I Homeschool our children. Not for religious reasons but because institutionlized and state sponsored schooling is all about money and power.

skilltroks
05-08-2006, 04:56 PM
The private school I attend is a rather large Christian school. It's definately a struggle not to conform...like clothes, and the liking. Public school...never attended one so don't know what to say. Home schooling..not every parent can do it/well. Sure you can hire someone to teach your children but not everyone has the money, and whatnot.

Bassplayer
05-09-2006, 10:02 AM
i like homeschool. I've been homeschooled all my life. and there are different ways to be homeschooled. There are tutorials, traditional homeschooling, and those who do absolutely nothing. I've met a three. Public schools can be ok. it all depends on the person. If their very sociable, not easily pressured, and really strong spiritually, then they could probably handle public school. me personally, i could handle, but i don't want to have to try.

riz
05-09-2006, 03:52 PM
For instance, my science class was very narrow minded and only taught the christian perspective.

Yeah, same here. I went to a parochial school as well, and they did not feel that we should know about the 'lies' of evolution. Whatever good intentions they had, the fact of the matter was that I was not taught other perspectives, only one. Not a very large and unbiased cirriculum, if you ask me. I'm glad I took a course in college that had various viewpoints and elaborated upon the ideas and theories behind evolution.

as~i~lay~dying
05-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Personally, I would never send my children to a public school, I would not want them exposed to the stuff that goes on there. I would hope to find a good christian school with GOOD education. As far as homeschool vs. public school.
- kids can still have a great social life, with kids that will help them grow stronger in there walk with God.
-they can get a better eductaion, they won't have to go at the slower persons pace.
I have to go... for now~ =)but those are some of my thoughts

disciple
05-09-2006, 05:51 PM
Since I educated myself after 3rd grade, I taught myself what little I know of evolution. I did not take a great deal of interest in it, but I still demanded that I at least know something about it. The materials my ex-stepmother tried to force on me were biased Christian homeschooling books and such. I did not accept them well.

Isildur9473
05-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Personally, I would never send my children to a public school, I would not want them exposed to the stuff that goes on there.

Would you rather they get a really rude awakening when they step out on their own?

john316
05-10-2006, 05:49 AM
I believe there are many factors on deciding to home school or not. In our case we live in a rural area and the school is pretty small....my daughters senior class had 88 members. It didnt have to many major behavior problems and the classes were sized right for her to get the attention she needed. So she did pretty good there.

Now if we lived in a high violence area and if i didnt think the school system was providing a good education then we probably would have home schooled her.

I know kids that were home schooled and some of them had no problems with adjusting to the "real world" but on the other hand there are some who are withdrawn and seem to have trouble adjusting.

I really feel that there are many things to consider in this decision and that you just cant say that one way is better then the other without knowing all the variables

as~i~lay~dying
05-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Would you rather they get a really rude awakening when they step out on their own?

uhh no, I would rather have them learn from me and my perespcetive of the things that go on and get a strong foundation than be thrown out there and be temted to do things that will only hurt them later. The reason I feel so strongly about this is because I was kinda "thrown out" there and it hurt me, bad. I want to save my children formt hat kind of hurt. I am not saying that all kids who go to public school do drugs, sleep around and arent godly, but I don't wnat to take that chance, ya know?

alorian
05-16-2006, 08:30 PM
I plan on hybriding. I'll probably homeschool the first couple years, put em in public school, bring em home for a year or two around 13ish, then put em back into public school. That way I have a chance to teach em what I want em to learn, and they also get the benefits of learning what I don't know and other teachers do, and more importantly, probably, the benefits of learning about society and how to be an integral part of it.

cloroxmartini
05-16-2006, 11:25 PM
Screw homeschooling! Public school is obviously so much better than homeschooling in practically every, single way. Where else can you get high, smoke, have sex and all that good stuff? I mean, gosh, can't you see it? If you can't then you are a moron!!!

Isildur9473
05-16-2006, 11:49 PM
Screw homeschooling! Public school is obviously so much better than homeschooling in practically every, single way. Where else can you get high, smoke, have sex and all that good stuff? I mean, gosh, can't you see it? If you can't then you are a moron!!!

Umm, last time I checked you can go into your house, get high, smoke and have sex. Also, I've found that having sex generally happens more at a private residence than at a public building accessed by a lot of people everyday.

alorian
05-17-2006, 04:52 AM

CASE POINT 1: A girl named Anna lives down the street. She has been homeschooled all her life. Sex? yes. Drugs? Pot, some meth, who knows what else. Smoke? She usually, last I knew, did that at the park.

asparagus
05-17-2006, 05:00 AM
I plan on hybriding. I'll probably homeschool the first couple years, put em in public school, bring em home for a year or two around 13ish, then put em back into public school. That way I have a chance to teach em what I want em to learn, and they also get the benefits of learning what I don't know and other teachers do, and more importantly, probably, the benefits of learning about society and how to be an integral part of it.
Wouldn't this make it hard for them to make strong friendships and keep them?

cloroxmartini
05-17-2006, 09:43 AM
CASE POINT 1: A girl named Anna lives down the street. She has been homeschooled all her life. Sex? yes. Drugs? Pot, some meth, who knows what else. Smoke? She usually, last I knew, did that at the park.
Interesting.

Actually, I was being sarcastic. But it looks like I've been proven wrong in either case.

Heri Altariel
05-17-2006, 09:46 AM
My thoughts...

Homeschooling sucks, I think so and am homeschooled myself. I have a social personality and yet am not around people because of my schooling. That's too bad.

Normal schooling all the way.

It teaches kids responsibility as in waking up early, doing homework on time, and so many other reasons that I can't write down at the moment because I have to go...

So that's why I'm going to try and get into a high school this year.

Aragornsgirl217
05-17-2006, 11:28 AM
I'm homeschooled and hated it until this year. The homeschool program that we have here in Marion is sooooo awesome. They do the hybrid thing(kinda), like Seth said. MSHAP offers classes (for example, this year I'm taking Chemistry, P.E., Spanish, Art, and a Writing class). That frees up time at the house, and I get to meet new friends. They also have a play that I'm going to be in (This year is Peter Pan), and it's got Mock Trial. So, I have a social life, which I had not had most of my life (That was also because we moved so much).

What happens is on those days (for example, on Wednesdays I'll have Spanish) is that Mom will drive me up there, and I'll sit in a classroom enviroment and someone who majored in that subject will teach the class for the certain amount of time. This year I'll be up there every day. After it's over, unless I have another class after it, I'll go home and do the rest of my school work at home.

The Spanish I'm taking this year also is different. In one year I will have learned 2 years of Spanish. That means that by my junior year, I could have 4 years of Spanish, where as all the public or private schools that I know of offer one Spanish class a year, and it only covers one year.

I love homeschooling in IA. Prolly the best thing about IA.

So, would I give up homeschooling for public or private school? No. It's got a way safer enviroment, it's given me a social life (guys and girls both), and I'm going to graduate my junior year. My parents are also great about getting on me if I don't have an assignment finished or not, and the teachers at MSHAP do the same.

GO HOMESCHOOLING!! ;D

PinkGoo
05-17-2006, 11:33 AM
My thoughts...

Homeschooling sucks, I think so and am homeschooled myself. I have a social personality and yet am not around people because of my schooling. That's too bad.

Normal schooling all the way.

It teaches kids responsibility as in waking up early, doing homework on time, and so many other reasons that I can't write down at the moment because I have to go...

So that's why I'm going to try and get into a high school this year. I completely agree.

Even though I'm homeschooled, I get out quite a bit, but I still think that I could have really benefited from the social exposure that public school could have provided. However, I never got that opportunity because my parents are extremely against public schools. I know that if I ever have children, they will most certainly be attending public school.

cloroxmartini
05-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Yep. I'm was, and still am to some degree, socially retarded because I was homeschooled. I hardly got out at all. Being in college has really changed how I approach things.

NightCrawler
05-18-2006, 09:37 AM
I think I might homeschool until junior year, maybe freshman or sophomore year, of Highschool. (if the Lord wills that I should homeschool my kids, saying I get them at all and have a wife that is supportive and willing to homeschool them as well... gosh, a lot of unknown variables...)

unshakeable15
05-18-2006, 02:17 PM
i was homeschooled from 4th through freshman year. Before 4th i was in private school. Sophomore year onward has been public (including college). So you could say i have seen all the angles. :)

There are definite pluses and minues to each and you need to weigh each of them when deciding which is best for your child (and it might be that each child ends up at a different school, one needing more attention, another needing parental interaction, a third doing just fine in public school).

The only thing i have to say is that when i started public school my sophomore year, i felt out of place that entire year. Not only did i not have all the classes my companions did (i was taking Geometry and had already taken Algebra 1 & 2; others took A1, G, then A2. i took World History my freshman year at home; it was a sophomore class at my high school), i also was through into a community of teenagers where i knew no one and so many others did.

i was a sophomore who acted like a freshman, and there's not much worse (other than a junior or a senior acting like a freshman). At least if i'd jumped in my freshman year, i'd be floating around with all the other freshman who relocated from jr. highs across the city.

NightCrawler
05-19-2006, 09:40 AM
That's a good point, Mike. It really depends on the person. Where you live (is it safe, how populated is the city?), what kind of kid you have (is he strong in biblical theology, is he more sociable, does he want to do sports that travel?), how the relationship you have with your child... etc.

somasoul
05-20-2006, 05:25 PM
I can't see why anyone would want to go to public school. I went for 13 years and the idea of sitting behind a desk all day is insane. Those people own you. They use the children for political capital.

State run education is a farce and nearly a complete and total failure nationwide.

Isildur9473
05-20-2006, 05:55 PM
I can't see why anyone would want to go to public school. I went for 13 years and the idea of sitting behind a desk all day is insane. Those people own you. They use the children for political capital.

State run education is a farce and nearly a complete and total failure nationwide.

Homeschooling isn't any better. You can't think that you're more qualified than 150 some odd people with teaching degrees. Before you say that they're out to get you, keep in mind that some of them do in fact care about the students.

I've attended public school in California, Virginia and Idaho, and all 3 had many teachers that did in fact care about my education, and they strived to make it the best possible. I think I learned more from a lot of different teachers than I would the biased perspective of one person.

No offense, but I think a mix of teachers that have all sorts of backgrounds is much more beneficial than one set of Christian parents that are probably rather biased.

I want my children to decide for themselves what to believe, I don't want to give them textbooks that I choose, since that would be me making my children who they are. I don't care if my children choose to be athiests, gay or Bantu Indians, I'll still love them, and it's their choice. Thinking that alienating them from a large body of possible friends, and peers is the right thing to do is the wrong idea.

The only reason that any of the main religions have so many followers is since parents force their beliefs on their children. Shouldn't kids have the right to decide what they believe in for themselves?

cloroxmartini
05-20-2006, 09:10 PM
The only reason that any of the main religions have so many followers is since parents force their beliefs on their children. Shouldn't kids have the right to decide what they believe in for themselves?
You could say that about any religion really.

Isildur9473
05-20-2006, 09:22 PM
You could say that about any religion really.

Yes, I could.

as~i~lay~dying
05-22-2006, 11:50 PM

I think this is a good idea ... I guess it also depends on the kid~ if I saw that my kid was skrewing up his/her life and not being a leader/ not being the better influence I would pull him/her out and go for christian schooling.

as~i~lay~dying
05-23-2006, 12:04 AM
I want my children to decide for themselves what to believe, I don't want to give them textbooks that I choose, since that would be me making my children who they are. I don't care if my children choose to be athiests, gay or Bantu Indians, I'll still love them, and it's their choice. Thinking that alienating them from a large body of possible friends, and peers is the right thing to do is the wrong idea.
Shouldn't kids have the right to decide what they believe in for themselves?

I don't understand this ... at all. How can you not care what your children choose to believe? I can't imagine as a parent(and I think you might change your mind when you become one) knowing the truth, the only way to true joy and happiness, the only way to HEAVEN, eternity with Jesus and not caring, or letting my CHILD be the main decission maker in what they beleive. Yes, ultimately it is there decision, but it is our job (as christians and parents) to protect them and teach them what the one true way is.

cloroxmartini
05-23-2006, 11:19 AM
You should tell your child these things. Tell them who Christ is and what he did for us all. Just don't force it on them. Forcing religion on a child is probably one of the worst things you could ever do to them.

PinkGoo
05-23-2006, 11:38 AM
... it is our job (as christians and parents) to protect them and teach them what the one true way is. Protect them? What does that even mean? I hear people say such things all the time.

It's impossible to protect your children from everything. Even if you keep them very sheltered from the outside world, what happens when they finally break away from their parents and experience the real world? If they have not come in contact with it before, imagine what will happen. They're going to go crazy. They'll go overboard in every area possible just as soon as they have the chance. I've seen it happen before. Protecting and sheltering your children (especially to an extreme) is just going to harm them more later on.

You should tell your child these things. Tell them who Christ is and what he did for us all. Just don't force it on them. Forcing religion on a child is probably one of the worst things you could ever do to them.Absolutely.

somasoul
05-23-2006, 04:28 PM
Homeschooling isn't any better. You can't think that you're more qualified than 150 some odd people with teaching degrees. Before you say that they're out to get you, keep in mind that some of them do in fact care about the students.

I've attended public school in California, Virginia and Idaho, and all 3 had many teachers that did in fact care about my education, and they strived to make it the best possible. I think I learned more from a lot of different teachers than I would the biased perspective of one person.

No offense, but I think a mix of teachers that have all sorts of backgrounds is much more beneficial than one set of Christian parents that are probably rather biased.

I don't disagree that some teachers care about the students. But the system certainly does not. State run education is a sham. Would I put my kids in a private school of my choosing? Certainly. But I would absolutly keep them out of any state run institution.

alorian
05-23-2006, 04:43 PM
The more I hear this topic and discuss it with people, the more I like public schooling. Once a student gets to highschool they can, generally, choose their own teachers. They ask the upper classmen, current respected teachers, etc about teachers offered the next year. Thanks to public schooling I met one of the best teachers I have ever met. Certainly the best I've ever had.
More importantly I've learned to think for myself. In public school a myriad of opinions, thoughts, and ideas fly at you and, if you are intelligent to some degree, or have parents that taught you well, you will think about these things and your current views and probably change them to something that makes more sense etc.

Isildur9473
05-23-2006, 05:09 PM
I don't disagree that some teachers care about the students. But the system certainly does not. State run education is a sham. Would I put my kids in a private school of my choosing? Certainly. But I would absolutly keep them out of any state run institution.

If anything's a sham, it's homeschooling. I guess we don't agree on it.

as~i~lay~dying
05-25-2006, 12:18 AM
Protect them? What does that even mean? I hear people say such things all the time.

It's impossible to protect your children from everything. Even if you keep them very sheltered from the outside world, what happens when they finally break away from their parents and experience the real world? If they have not come in contact with it before, imagine what will happen. They're going to go crazy. They'll go overboard in every area possible just as soon as they have the chance. I've seen it happen before. Protecting and sheltering your children (especially to an extreme) is just going to harm them more later on.

I am not talking about sheltering, exactly, but letting them learn at home the things that go on and not go out and experience everything to see what the real world is like. I know several people/kids who have been homeschooled and yes slightly sheltered that are excellant people who are strong hardcore christians that are very effective witnesses today. That is what I would want for my kids. A protected but not exactly shletered home. Whatever I am tired, I woud go on but my brain is fried ....

as~i~lay~dying
05-25-2006, 12:23 AM
You should tell your child these things. Tell them who Christ is and what he did for us all. Just don't force it on them. Forcing religion on a child is probably one of the worst things you could ever do to them.

***I agree.

somasoul
05-25-2006, 09:50 AM
If anything's a sham, it's homeschooling. I guess we don't agree on it.

People have homeschooled their children for thousands of years. The current school system in place was developed by wealthy industrialists who wanted to make factory workers. This was done in the mid 19th century.

Where else in life do you have to ask permission to use the bathroom?

*suddenly remembers standing in a room full of peers pleading with the teacher to let me take a *****

Not even in jail are your own needs regulated to such an extent. I once got suspended for eating in the hallway.

Once again, school is all about control. Whether it be state control of a revenue system or mind control of students. Public education is one of the founding tenets of communism. It's goal has always been, whether here or there, to enable the state control of growing minds.

None for me, thank you.

Isildur9473
05-27-2006, 10:03 AM
People have homeschooled their children for thousands of years. The current school system in place was developed by wealthy industrialists who wanted to make factory workers. This was done in the mid 19th century.

*suddenly remembers standing in a room full of peers pleading with the teacher to let me take a *****

Not even in jail are your own needs regulated to such an extent. I once got suspended for eating in the hallway.

Once again, school is all about control. Whether it be state control of a revenue system or mind control of students. Public education is one of the founding tenets of communism. It's goal has always been, whether here or there, to enable the state control of growing minds.

None for me, thank you.

You fight the power brother. Now I'm going to go pray to Bush as I've been instructed in school.

Religion based homeschooling is one of the founding tenets of stupidity, it's been that way for a real long time. I don't know where you get your information, but to accuse public schools of being communistic is ridiculous.

At least for me, I'd rather have never been born if being homeschooled in a Christian atmosphere was the only alternative.

somasoul
05-27-2006, 10:58 AM
You fight the power brother. Now I'm going to go pray to Bush as I've been instructed in school.

Religion based homeschooling is one of the founding tenets of stupidity, it's been that way for a real long time. I don't know where you get your information, but to accuse public schools of being communistic is ridiculous.

At least for me, I'd rather have never been born if being homeschooled in a Christian atmosphere was the only alternative.

We don't homeschool for Christian reasons, dude. We homeschool because public education churns our reckless, inconsiderate, dopes on a consistant basis. And, frankly, that's a risk I don't want to take.

Perhaps your homeschooling experience was ****. I've met others who felt the same way. But I know more kids who swear by it. Who have done both (including myself outside of a religious home).

I don't know what city or state your from. But here in Baltimore the schools are terrible. Less than 1% of students who took a basic biology assesment test after taking a biology course managed to pass. Reading tests? 14%. Horrible, atricious, complete and total buffoonery. The city managed to lose $50,000,000 last year and nearly had to shut down.

Again, state sanctioned sanctioned schooling across the country is nearly a complete and utter disaster in the realm of educating. Japan and nearly all of Europe beat us hands down. America absolutly cannot maintain it's super-power status for long with education the way it is in this country.

Isildur9473
05-27-2006, 12:36 PM
We don't homeschool for Christian reasons, dude. We homeschool because public education churns our reckless, inconsiderate, dopes on a consistant basis. And, frankly, that's a risk I don't want to take.

Perhaps your homeschooling experience was ****. I've met others who felt the same way. But I know more kids who swear by it. Who have done both (including myself outside of a religious home).

I've never been homeschooled.

I don't know what city or state your from. But here in Baltimore the schools are terrible. Less than 1% of students who took a basic biology assesment test after taking a biology course managed to pass. Reading tests? 14%. Horrible, atricious, complete and total buffoonery. The city managed to lose $50,000,000 last year and nearly had to shut down.

I've been to public schools in California, Hampton-Area Virginia and Idaho, and the're all pretty decent. Plenty of stupid kids come out of them, but how can you necessarily blame the schools? What about home life?

I've had many great teachers who can't make a student succeed simply since the student doesn't have the will to succeed. Home life is the ultimate problem here.

Again, state sanctioned sanctioned schooling across the country is nearly a complete and utter disaster in the realm of educating. Japan and nearly all of Europe beat us hands down. America absolutly cannot maintain it's super-power status for long with education the way it is in this country.

I guess I'm stupid since I've gone to public school my entire life.

alorian
05-27-2006, 04:14 PM

None for me, thank you.

People were "homeschooled" for years. Let's see.. since those crazy industrialists put a school system in place.. hmmm... we've modernized. Crazy, no? Since those school systems have been put in place we've had invention after invention, breakthrough after breakthough. Strange isn't it? Once homeschooling became less of a norm we became more advanced.

In public school you cannot be denied the right to use the restroom. If you are then you have the right to complain. I've been told that I can't go and I went anyway. Why? I had to go. Did I get in trouble? No. It was my right to do so. I would have complained to higher administration if I were you.

Eating in a hallway... isn't it usually against school rules to eat in a hallway. Hmmm... CRAZINESS, wow. Isn't there a little place they let you eat though? Like... a cafeteria? Isn't there such a thing as... LUNCHTIME? Breakfast? Dinner? If you eat these then why do you feel the need to break the rules and eat in the halls? That's your own fault. Every institution has rules, and rightly so! They don't want the carpet stained, and they probably want to contain the trash. Make sense?

Hahahah, you make me laugh. Wait.. that wasn't a joke, was it? ;) sorry, I'm just kidding around. Let's see.. if you work in an office building then you are generally required to dress and ACT professional as per their tenets etc. If you aren't allowed to dance on your desk, don't dance on your desk. If you aren't allowed to make personal phonecalls, wait until lunch break of once your shift is over and use your own phone or a pay phone. School is much the same. Students.. hahah, sigh. Have you ever been to a public high school assembly? If there wasn't any degree of "control" then the place would be pandemonious chaos, no? If there are no rules or enforcement for acts of grafitti, littering, violence, drugs, out-of-control/reckless behaviour etc, what kind of institution would it be? The same applies for any institution whether it be public school, a job, church, a court house, anything.

1) Many, MANY people homeschool for "Christian reasons.
2) High school is largely about personal responsibility. There are those who work hard into every hour of the night studying and doing homework and extra credit projects, and then there are those who take the minimal, extremely easy classes and barely pass all their mandatory classes with minimal credit and all D-'s. It's the student's choice. If you are a parent of a public school student then it is YOUR responsiblity to make sure that your student is doing what is needed to rise above the minimum requirements and achieve more to set them apart. America is set up that way. Many people are "successful", but some are more successful than others. There are people like Mr. Bill Gates who worked "hard" and seized every opportunity he could lay his hands on, then there are those like Brittany down at 7-11 who scrapes off by the minimum (no offense to 7-11 workers). They both survive in America, though one is more comfortable than the other. It's an individual and family-helped choice.

My homeschooling experience was decent, but I never would have become who I am today if I hadn't left it. I met a few good people I never would have met before. Mrs Matthe and Mr Nelson have inspired me in ways I'd never have dreamed possible, almost ;) Without these teachers I wouldn't have the high goals I do now. Because of Mrs Dickens I want to change the world. Of course there are the teachers who smoke pot with some of their students and stare at the ceiling all day while the students talk, but information can still be taken out of the textbook at student perogotive, no?

My school was among the best in the state. Not surprising with so many others schools flooded with those that can't speak english ::] Whatever, anyway. As I said, textbooks are still available as are teachers who care and are willing to teach. Get to know the upper classmen and faculty and ask which teachers care and actually TEACH their students and do everything in your power to get those teachers. IT'S UP TO YOU.

Nation-wide a disaster? Where are you from? Planet naive-pessimism? Sure, many schools are going to crap, and others are just skating by and barely making it. Still others are generally good schools that try to do what's good for the students. There is no such thing though as an "all-bad" school or an "all-good" school. It's all about searching and seeking. If the child is raised well, or *rolls eyes* not at all sometimes, they will seek to better themselves and get good teachers and good classes, not crap ones.

Isildur9473
05-30-2006, 12:24 AM
I don't understand this ... at all. How can you not care what your children choose to believe? I can't imagine as a parent(and I think you might change your mind when you become one) knowing the truth, the only way to true joy and happiness, the only way to HEAVEN, eternity with Jesus and not caring, or letting my CHILD be the main decission maker in what they beleive. Yes, ultimately it is there decision, but it is our job (as christians and parents) to protect them and teach them what the one true way is.

I've been staring at this post nearly everyday, thinking about how to answer it. Truth is what we make it, that's what I believe. We don't know what we're talking about any better than the guy who stands on the street corner screaming that the pegasus is coming.

asparagus
05-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Somasoul brings an urban perspective of public schools to the table. The urban experience of public schools in Baltimore, Detroit, and other very urban centers is very different from the suburban experience.

I suspect that those that have had good experiences with public schools almost exclusively come from a non-urban environment. Similarly, the reverse could be true for those who are taking an opposite position.

For me, the decisions to do private schools vs. pulbic schools vs. homeschooling is a complex one. It depends on the parent(s), the child(ren), the quality of local public schools, private schools, and the homeschool commmunity.

postingiscool
06-01-2006, 08:47 PM

hey i like your name. but im afraid i must disagree with the comment about religion based homeschooling being a founding tenet of stupidity. I happen to be homeschooled, and yes, it is religion based. and i have yet to wish i had never been born, in fact i wouldnt have my education any other way. Please do not take this as being prideful, but the people i know that are homeschooled/private schooled have a far better education. At least for the public schools in my area, the enviroment towards christians is extreamly opressive and the teaching is QUITE less then satisfactory. When i have children i would rather educate them myself rather then send them to a school that would fill them with anti-christian ideas, not meaning i think we should force a religion on children, but i dont think i will deliberatly put them in a place where they dont hear the truth.

dawn of light
06-07-2006, 07:11 AM
Homeschooling and public schools both have pros and cons, but to say that homeschooling is a sham is extremely narrow minded. It all depends of the parents and their reasons behind it.

I was homeschooled up until I was ten years old. When I started school in Grade 5 I had a much better understanding of math, science, and reading then the majority of kids in my class. I got to grow up close to my family and had the opportunity to spend a lot of my time outdoors and learning practical things that most schools don't teach.

However, when I first started school I was so shy I had a hard time making friends. I was so sheltered during my early childhood that I didn't know how to interact with people I'd never met before. It took at least 2-3 years to get used to being around so many people I didn't know.

For me, the decisions to do private schools vs. pulbic schools vs. homeschooling is a complex one. It depends on the parent(s), the child(ren), the quality of local public schools, private schools, and the homeschool commmunity.

I couldn't agree more.

dawn of light
06-07-2006, 07:18 AM
Truth is what we make it, that's what I believe. We don't know what we're talking about any better than the guy who stands on the street corner screaming that the pegasus is coming.

Truth is NOT what we make it. Truth is truth. You don't have to believe in gravity but it's going to affect you either way. You can jump out a plane and say "I don't believe in gravity" but you're going to fall whether you believe it or not. Truth is not going to change just because you don't believe it.

Sure, you can say that I don't have solid proof for what I believe... but the change that Jesus has made in my life is enough proof for me. I won't be narrow minded and refuse to research or back up my beliefs either though.

alorian
06-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Greg, I agree wih Dawn here

Your reality is what you make it, but God exists no matter your reality