NightCrawler
05-08-2006, 08:05 AM
I didn't find any other good thread to post this in, so I made a new one cuz I think we needed one.

I know you are joking, but I would HIGHLY recommend you looking into DID (dissociative identity disorder)... It sounds like you have no clue what you are talking about, and DID (formerly known as Multiple Personality Disorder) is facinating!!Yes it is intruiging to study those with their very being haven been shattered by multiple demonic posession :-\. Okay, not always the case, but not always not either.Okay, so we have
Schizophrenia (hearing voices, hallucinations, disconnected speech patterns, catatonia)
Depression (let's include borderline personality disorder here too)
DID (dissociative identity disorder, formally Multiple personality disorder)
Antisocial personality disorder
etc. (any other disorder you wanna talk about)

Demonic possession?

I am of the opinion that not all insanity cases are demonic possession (or even demonically influenced), but not all are not. Same as amodman was saying.

I know someone that believes that demonic influence was related even to his cold. I don't buy that. It explains what he has been seeing and feeling, but I really don't think it was also the cause of his cold and achy body. I could be wrong, but his kind of thinking is what his church pushes. (Potter's House, BTW)

However, reading a lot about DID (and writing a 6 page paper on it for my abnormal psych class)... it sounds very suspicious of demonic possession.
1) They can't find a root cause, just a nice educated guess that it is from trauma. (mind you, in families that have specifically dark and evil environments, demons may be heavily influencing)
2) There is a host identity and alters. The alters know about the host and each other, typically, but the host doesn't know about the alters. (umm... demons knowing about each other, but the host doesn't know about them?)
3) The frail human typically has a maladaptive personality filled with some maladaptive behaviour. The alters are about the same.
4) The alters can be very different! The host could be right handed, speaking english and have a 10th grade education, whereas the alter could be left handed, need glasses, speak fluent spanish and have a college education! (what bothers me the most is that the person could need a different perscription eyeglass... that is physical, how does a mental process extend to PHYSICAL MAKEUP?)

And stuph.

I want some of your thoughts, bounce some ideas off and stuph. I only mentioned DID as having demonic features, schizophrenias have a lot of demonic characteristics too.

Reeper
05-08-2006, 08:40 AM
I'm not sure I agree with you about the common cold not being caused by Satan. Satan is the prince of this world, for now, and so can easily work through things such as germs. Even the common cold can be diabilitating and this might prevent us from serving God in some way. Satan's goal is to mess up God's plan. If he has to do it with something like the common cold he will. I heard a quote somewhere don't know where though, it goes like this... "The greatest lie the devil ever told the world, was that he didn't exist." Now I know that that is taking it to the extreme, but in the bible we clearly see demonic reasons for physical maladies. I think it would be erroneous to assume that the common cold is not demonic in origin. I'm not saying we all place our hands on a person with the common cold and pray for their healing, though prayer always helps, I'm just saying that we should be aware of it.

Peace

weebird20
05-08-2006, 10:04 AM
i also think that Satan can work through something as simple as the common cold...look at Job...he was covered in sores...

Job 2:4-7
So Satan answered the LORD and said, “Skin for skin! Yes, all that a man has he will give for his life. But stretch out Your hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will surely curse You to Your face!” And the LORD said to Satan, “Behold, he is in your hand, but spare his life.” So Satan went out from the presence of the LORD, and struck Job with painful boils from the sole of his foot to the crown of his head.

Satan was able to strike Job with painful boils...though im not sure if he can without God giving him the power to do so...

interesting subject Jonathan...there must be some way to separate those cases that are demonic to those that aren't though...something that they have in common...hmmm...

skynes
05-08-2006, 10:36 AM
I think that some are and some are not.

Demons can cause colds. But that doesn't mean they're ALWAYS behind a cold.

Demons can manipulate people into doing evil things, but sometimes the human is evil enough to do them alone.

(Unresearch random thought)

I think that maybe some forms of 'disorder' can actually be helpful. A child seeing something brain shatteringly traumatic, may block it out of conscious memory, it may or may not resurface at a time when they're mature enough to be able to deal with it.

As a child though, they can't do anything to come to terms with it.

The physical afflictions does sound suspicious, but it's possible that their eyesight problem isnt caused by something physical but by something mental.

e.g. Their brain stops sending signals to an eye to refocus cause it thinks it won't.

NightCrawler
05-15-2006, 07:27 AM
My friend said that if you cannot get the person to say that "Jesus is Lord", then it is demonic.

disciple
05-15-2006, 09:06 AM
I heard that as well. I wonder if it's true...?

NightCrawler
05-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Well, it says in 1 Corintians 12:2-3 that no one can, by the Holy Spirit, say "Jesus be cursed"... and no one apart from the Holy Spirit can say "Jesus is Lord" ... not quite verbatim.

But that is inconclusive, all it means is that you don't have the prompting of the Holy Spirit. It doesn't mean you have a demon.

Red_gal
05-26-2006, 06:18 PM
I didn't find any other good thread to post this in, so I made a new one cuz I think we needed one.

Okay, so we have
Schizophrenia (hearing voices, hallucinations, disconnected speech patterns, catatonia)
Depression (let's include borderline personality disorder here too)
DID (dissociative identity disorder, formally Multiple personality disorder)
Antisocial personality disorder
etc. (any other disorder you wanna talk about)

Demonic possession?

I am of the opinion that not all insanity cases are demonic possession (or even demonically influenced), but not all are not. Same as amodman was saying.

I know someone that believes that demonic influence was related even to his cold. I don't buy that. It explains what he has been seeing and feeling, but I really don't think it was also the cause of his cold and achy body. I could be wrong, but his kind of thinking is what his church pushes. (Potter's House, BTW)

However, reading a lot about DID (and writing a 6 page paper on it for my abnormal psych class)... it sounds very suspicious of demonic possession.
1) They can't find a root cause, just a nice educated guess that it is from trauma. (mind you, in families that have specifically dark and evil environments, demons may be heavily influencing)
2) There is a host identity and alters. The alters know about the host and each other, typically, but the host doesn't know about the alters. (umm... demons knowing about each other, but the host doesn't know about them?)
3) The frail human typically has a maladaptive personality filled with some maladaptive behaviour. The alters are about the same.
4) The alters can be very different! The host could be right handed, speaking english and have a 10th grade education, whereas the alter could be left handed, need glasses, speak fluent spanish and have a college education! (what bothers me the most is that the person could need a different perscription eyeglass... that is physical, how does a mental process extend to PHYSICAL MAKEUP?)

And stuph.

I want some of your thoughts, bounce some ideas off and stuph. I only mentioned DID as having demonic features, schizophrenias have a lot of demonic characteristics too.
I'm not sure about it. There are many problems sometimes associated with the cold and the various psychological states you mentioned. Also, Depression is sometimes linked with other psychological disturbances. There are many forms of depression as well. Yes, they do beleive DID and multiple personality disorder are caused by some type of trauma (many times during childhood or adolescents). I believe that from reading about this woman who had it.

alorian
05-26-2006, 06:24 PM
It depends. I'd recommend praying for discernment in each case.

theelectric3
05-26-2006, 06:54 PM
good words of advice alorian.

skilletosis
05-29-2006, 09:41 AM
A very fascinating subject. As far as the cold goes it to me could be either linked to Satan or a consequence of the fall.

As far as schizophrenia goes this is where it gets very interesting. I know someone who is schizophrenic. It is extremely difficult to discern the root. Has he completely fried his brain on drugs (which he has done alot of for years). Or is it the fact that putting himself in an altered state so many times opened the door for demonic possesion.

Nightcrawler did any of your research cover bizare ideas concerning God, religion, or biblical teachings. The last I had heard about this person was the person was in a total manic state talking about having only 3 chances at salvation, he was Cain and who he was speaking to was Able and other bizare dillusions. He was commited the next day until they stablized his medication. We could take this to pm if you want. I have some ideas on it.

Red_gal
05-29-2006, 05:32 PM
I'm still not sure about it all. With depression and the other disorders- I think sometimes are caused by certain things. Depression is caused by imbalances of a brain chemical. For example, if someone is depressed the brain may not have enough dopamine produced ( a chemical which makes us feel good). Cerontonin would fit in here as well. However, there probably are other factors involved because there are some cases where patients can't really explain why they are depressed. They can't find a good cause. Seems like that's what this is about.