TheFireBreathes
05-17-2006, 10:03 AM
During the last week of school my survey of rock class is going to have a seminar on censorship in music. Since most of my class consists of rockers, rebels, and non-christians. I can already guess that they are going to be against censorship and they are going to bring up freedom of speech and such. And then Im going to say something on how cussing is wrong and they will say something on how society is the ones that have tought us that it is a bad word and whatever.

So since this can be a big issue, where is your guys' stand on this? I mean just because freedom of speech exists, doesn't mean its right all the time :-\ .

Pretendeavor
05-17-2006, 10:22 AM
society is the ones that have tought us that it is bad to cuss when those words arent acctualy bad its self.

DustinRocks
05-17-2006, 11:00 AM
I think censored music is a good idea. Make it like smoking. When your 18 you can decide but until then ehhh not your choice.

PinkGoo
05-17-2006, 11:22 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. If you have a problem with swearing, then buy an edited CD. If you don't mind swearing, then buy the unaltered CD. It's your own choice. The entire point of having censored music is so people who are against profanity can still enjoy the music. It's not a right and wrong issue. It's just a choice.

Even though I personally could care less if an artist swears in their music, others have a problem with it. I think it's somewhat ridiculous to remove the words the writer originally chose for that song. The artist chose the lyrics they did for a reason. It's kind of stupid to take them out. However, like I said, it's just a choice one has the responsibility to make. If they believe that swearing is morally wrong, then fine. There is "cleaned up" music available for them.

TheFireBreathes
05-17-2006, 02:07 PM
society is the ones that have tought us that it is bad to cuss when those words arent acctualy bad its self.

But theres really no way to prove that unless you know the history of those words like the f-bomb and how they came to be.

theelectric3
05-17-2006, 02:55 PM
personally, swearing in music shows me a lack of creativity on the part of the songwriter.

can you think of more creative ways to express your feelings besides dropping in swear words throughout your songs (so you can appear to be a "rebel")? look up metaphors. :)

(sidenote: you're not much of a rebel when you do something everyone else is doing and our soceity, for the most part, embraces.)

i believe there are people out there who claim to be musicians, when it appears like their focus isn't to create music. but rather, to see how far they can push the envelop on content and language. say what they think will sell.

to me, that is not a musician.

i mean do we really need songs that degrade women to property and men to dogs... ?? no.

and it's for songs like that where i strongly support censorship.

DustinRocks
05-17-2006, 03:06 PM
But theres really no way to prove that unless you know the history of those words like the f-bomb and how they came to be.

Pull out the time machine.

alorian
05-17-2006, 03:16 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. If you have a problem with swearing, then buy an edited CD. If you don't mind swearing, then buy the unaltered CD. It's your own choice. The entire point of having censored music is so people who are against profanity can still enjoy the music. It's not a right and wrong issue. It's just a choice.

Even though I personally could care less if an artist swears in their music, others have a problem with it. I think it's somewhat ridiculous to remove the words the writer originally chose for that song. The artist chose the lyrics they did for a reason. It's kind of stupid to take them out. However, like I said, it's just a choice one has the responsibility to make. If they believe that swearing is morally wrong, then fine. There is "cleaned up" music available for them.

I agree here.

I am against most censorship.

Under the US constitution, it's important to know that obscenity isn't protected under the first amendment.

TheFireBreathes
05-17-2006, 03:39 PM
The entire point of having censored music is so people who are against profanity can still enjoy the music.

Well I for one thing dont want to be going around hereing little kids shooting the f-bomb right and left. I guess its like sex and violence in movies/games. Parents dont want there kids copying what they here and see on tv.

alorian
05-17-2006, 03:59 PM
So parents should practice personal responsibility and keep their children from watching and hearing such things, eh?

cloroxmartini
05-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Well I for one thing dont want to be going around hereing little kids shooting the f-bomb right and left. I guess its like sex and violence in movies/games. Parents dont want there kids copying what they here and see on tv.
It's not like a lot of "little" kids listen to that kind of music anyway. Also, they're not just going to hear profanity in music. It's basically everywhere nowadays.
So parents should practice personal responsibility and keep their children from watching and hearing such things, eh?
If the parents really cared, yes. Some parents these days really don't care, which is kind of sad.

Isildur9473
05-17-2006, 07:18 PM
I completely agree, but music isn't taking it far enough. I've found that too many books we consider classic literature are just too much. Like the Bible, people die. I don't know about you, but I don't want my children to know about people dying. Censor the Bible! Ban it!

TheFireBreathes
05-17-2006, 08:08 PM
It's not like a lot of "little" kids listen to that kind of music anyway. Also, they're not just going to hear profanity in music. It's basically everywhere nowadays.

If the parents really cared, yes. Some parents these days really don't care, which is kind of sad.

Im sorry. I guess I should change the thread title to censorship.

But these days according to height Im seeing little kids as sixth grade and below. Thats just me though. And you know what? I guess it depends on the maturity of the person. I see people copying from movies in all ages.

TheFireBreathes
05-17-2006, 08:13 PM
I completely agree, but music isn't taking it far enough. I've found that too many books we consider classic literature are just too much. Like the Bible, people die. I don't know about you, but I don't want my children to know about people dying. Censor the Bible! Ban it!

Greg, Im sorry. I try to make a normal discussion and you have to come and make immature remarks. Either your trying to be a smart alec or sarcastic. And I know you are smarter than that. And I also know that any reply I make on your post will be wrong or some crap like that. Ill just ignore it because I really do not want to argue over the Bible when we both know that is different, and we both know the answer.

Isildur9473
05-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Greg, Im sorry. I try to make a normal discussion and you have to come and make immature remarks. Either your trying to be a smart alec or sarcastic. And I know you are smarter than that. And I also know that any reply I make on your post will be wrong or some crap like that. Ill just ignore it because I really do not want to argue over the Bible when we both know that is different, and we both know the answer.

Immature? If you're going to try to censor one thing that might have questionable subject matter you have to go for everything.

That's why censorship is stupid. There's this thing called free will, and there's also this thing called if you want to see it you're probably going to anyways. Censoring music for children would be completely stupid and uncalled for. It would be another great example of Christian morals ruining this country. You don't censor music just like you don't censor literature and movies.

animeraven34
05-17-2006, 08:46 PM
Christian morals
I think you mean religious morals.

cloroxmartini
05-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Because something that is offensive to one person may not be offensive to another person. There are people who find the word "Jesus" offensive. Are we going to cut it out of music? No, because "Jesus" doesn't offend us, does it? But that's just the problem, censoring music would be rather one sided like Greg said. It'd be all the censoring of only things Christians found offensive. I don't think that's fair.

terrasin
05-17-2006, 09:59 PM
Quite frankly, I find the whole topic moot. No one is censoring the content of music nor will they censor music in the future.

If we are discussing swearing in music, it's still pretty much moot. Freedom of speech has nothing to do with swearing. Freedom of speech is about having the ability to state your opinion without fear of oppression.

Personally, most artists like that Walmart sells edited copies of their music. They make more money from them. But you will still be able to buy unedited copies elsewhere.

CJ

planet_kosmos
05-18-2006, 12:33 AM
I personally dont see the point of buying a censored cd you are still supporting the band and I wouldn't do that

Pretendeavor
05-18-2006, 05:23 AM
ive cussed s o much censorn a cd is pointless because you know what the say.

PinkGoo
05-18-2006, 08:08 AM
I personally dont see the point of buying a censored cd you are still supporting the band and I wouldn't do thatWhat's wrong with supporting a band that swears? If the music is good, why does it matter? People swear, you're never going to stop that. Just because you refuse to "support" them, you'll never put a stop to profanity.

TheFireBreathes
05-18-2006, 08:50 AM
What's wrong with supporting a band that swears? If the music is good, why does it matter? People swear, you're never going to stop that. Just because you refuse to "support" them, you'll never put a stop to profanity.

But you can limit it.

TheFireBreathes
05-18-2006, 08:56 AM
Because something that is offensive to one person may not be offensive to another person. There are people who find the word "Jesus" offensive. Are we going to cut it out of music? No, because "Jesus" doesn't offend us, does it? But that's just the problem, censoring music would be rather one sided like Greg said. It'd be all the censoring of only things Christians found offensive. I don't think that's fair.

Who said it was just Christians? If Christians are so good at getting there way why can they say sh** and bit** on tv? I certainly dont like it when I here non-christians scream Jesus in anger on tv. But you know, I don't think that's fair.

cloroxmartini
05-18-2006, 09:40 AM
Quite frankly, I find the whole topic moot. No one is censoring the content of music nor will they censor music in the future.

If we are discussing swearing in music, it's still pretty much moot. Freedom of speech has nothing to do with swearing. Freedom of speech is about having the ability to state your opinion without fear of oppression.

Personally, most artists like that Walmart sells edited copies of their music. They make more money from them. But you will still be able to buy unedited copies elsewhere.

CJ
I agree with you.

PinkGoo
05-18-2006, 09:43 AM
But you can limit it. No, not really. I doubt that secular artists would suffer at all just because a few conservative Christians refuse to buy a CD because of the language.

TheFireBreathes
05-18-2006, 10:21 AM
You cant label people based on if they think swearing is wrong or not. Just because Im conservative and christian doesnt mean that they all agree with my views. Im sure their are athiests and jews that think the same.

PinkGoo
05-18-2006, 10:38 AM
You cant label people based on if they think swearing is wrong or not. Just because Im conservative and christian doesnt mean that they all agree with my views. Im sure their are athiests and jews that think the same.You have a point. For instance, I'm a Christian, and I don't think that swearing is wrong. That doesn't make me any less of a Christian. I'll continue to buy music that other Christians may disagree with... mainly because I don't think that trying to boycott such music will really have any effect on the success or failure of an artist.

theelectric3
05-18-2006, 11:51 AM
it's good to live out personal convictions though.

if you're uncomfortable with artists that swear, don't support them.

and if it doesn't bother you, then support the band. but don't bash someone else because they are staying true to their convictions.

packmule3
05-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Wow, this thread really frustrated me. I know very little about music censorship but all the discussion about whether it right or wrong to sin. It's sinning people. Swearing is sinning. If you disagree go read you bible.
Im very particular about my music. I make sure that the lyrics are sound; that this is something that God would want me to listen to. Thus, it doesn't affect me if 'bad' music is censored because I stay away from it all together. But I can see kids finding it handy that there parents will let them listen to 'cool' music because all the bad stuff is taken out. Really all the bad stuff isn't taken out; there is still an attitude that is stamped into the music. I think it comes down to the heart. Are you willing to let go of music that is appealing to the ear, because this isn't something that is letting the devil find a way to sneak in? It may sound good but is the message turning your eyes off Jesus?

aliengurl7
05-18-2006, 06:42 PM
when you watch a violent move, isn't that just as bad? We do stuff,listen, and watch stuff that isn't exactly beneficial but we do it anyways.If its a stumbling block don't listen, but its up to the individual.Cursing in music doesn't bother me personally and doesn't mean im going to hell for listening to it...ya know?

animeraven34
05-18-2006, 07:27 PM
Don't you find it funny how people can say that God will forgive you for killing someone, but if you listen to the wrong music you're screwed?

Christians are supposed to be "in the world, but not of it"...since when does that include telling people what they can and can't listen to? I am absolutely against censorship. Why? Because it's too freaking subjective. I am sick and tired of high and mighty "Christians" making asses of themselves and pissing people off by going around saying "you shouldn't listen to that", "that music has an evil rhythm! you're gonna go to hell!", "cussing is a sin", "I don't listen to that because it's obscene", "that's demonic music", blah blah blah blah blah. What gives us the right to go around demanding censorship based on a few extreme examples of what we think is obscene?

skilletfreak101
05-18-2006, 07:32 PM
i personally don't like it when bands swear alot...i mean maybe a word here and there....but if you're doing it all the time... then that is a real lack of creativity.

animeraven34
05-18-2006, 07:33 PM
i personally don't like it when bands swear alot...i mean maybe a word here and there....but if you're doing it all the time... then that is a real lack of creativity.
Yet another thing I'm sick of hearing... ::]

Isildur9473
05-18-2006, 08:26 PM

"You're ignorant since you swear, use your vocabulary."

Hmm, wouldn't the person who said that be the ignorant one? You'd have to be ignorant to judge a person based solely off of the words they use. Some of the smartest people I've ever met swear all the time...

alorian
05-18-2006, 08:29 PM
*agrees with greg*

riz
05-18-2006, 10:46 PM
Even though my post here doesn't fully apply to music, I think it has relevance. Some of the most intelligent movies (and personally, some of my favourites) have some - or even a lot of - swearing in them. Sometimes it is needed to get a point across - and sometimes a less intense word won't do, you know?

I personally don't agree with the whole 'if you swear, you aren't intelligent or creative' argument. Although it gets a bit out of hand when you use the f-word six times in a sentence: that's a lack in creativity.

skynes
05-19-2006, 12:51 AM
Christians are supposed to be "in the world, but not of it"...since when does that include telling people what they can and can't listen to? I am absolutely against censorship. Why? Because it's too freaking subjective. I am sick and tired of high and mighty "Christians" making asses of themselves and pissing people off by going around saying "you shouldn't listen to that", "that music has an evil rhythm! you're gonna go to hell!", "cussing is a sin", "I don't listen to that because it's obscene", "that's demonic music", blah blah blah blah blah. What gives us the right to go around demanding censorship based on a few extreme examples of what we think is obscene?

You got a point. Censorship would be subjctive.
What is offensive to one person is not necessarily offensive to another.
So the person who is offended would make all the rucus over it and get it banned. Then those hwo liked it would start whining and it goes on and on and on...

I don't like music with swearing, because I'm easily influenced by music, so I try to keep careful watch over what I put into my head that way.

On creativity? You see the chart bands? Christian and non-Christian? Creativity doesn't exist there, end of story. Swearing or not.

Contemporary Christian bands are majoritly carbon copies of one another.
Same with most mainstream secular music.

TheFireBreathes
05-19-2006, 05:01 AM
Although it gets a bit out of hand when you use the f-word six times in a sentence: that's a lack in creativity.

Man I could list so many movies that do that. But you right, usually the movie with mucho swearing is really good. Like Inside Man or Lucky Number Sleven. Both good but way too much unneeded swearing.

PinkGoo
05-19-2006, 07:04 AM
Although it gets a bit out of hand when you use the f-word six times in a sentence: that's a lack in creativity.Seriously, you have to be pretty creative to say the f-word six times in a grammatically correct sentence. Dat takes skillz.

asparagus
05-19-2006, 12:05 PM
I agree here.

I am against most censorship.

Under the US constitution, it's important to know that obscenity isn't protected under the first amendment.Here's some legalese dealing with censorship, two cases in particular. The first is the Cohen v. California 1971 US Supreme Court decision.
(link) (http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=CASE&court=US&vol=403&page=15)

While this case does specifically mention that "obscenity" can be regulated, the case simultaneously protects the public use of one of the most obscene words.

Miller v. California continued the trend of limiting the government's ability to restrict obscene speech when the court created the Miller Test in it's ruling. The Miller Test specifically prohits the governement from labeling creative works as being "obscene."

TheFireBreathes
05-19-2006, 01:47 PM
Seriously, you have to be pretty creative to say the f-word six times in a grammatically correct sentence. Dat takes skillz.

I dunno...The f-word these days has many meanings and is used as nouns, adjectives, whatever.

skilletfreak101
05-19-2006, 03:02 PM
actually it isn't creative to swear alot...whenever i hear someone swearing "alot" when they talk, they always use the words for something other than what they actually mean...maybe they should find a word that best suites the sentence....if you think about it that actually is creativity.

Isildur9473
05-19-2006, 05:10 PM
actually it isn't creative to swear alot...whenever i hear someone swearing "alot" when they talk, they always use the words for something other than what they actually mean...maybe they should find a word that best suites the sentence....if you think about it that actually is creativity.

Does that mean that the person is less creative than normal? Look at Kurt Cobain, he was more creative than the entire Christian music industry, and he swore a bit. The Beatles are another outstanding example of that, John Lennon had a pretty "dirty" mouth.

asparagus
05-19-2006, 07:58 PM
I think there seems to be a fair amount of agreement on this, and I'm not sure what exactly needs to be debated anymore.

I don't think anyone is saying that just because someone swears in their lyrics means that that person is automatically deemed "uncreative." What has been said, however, is that repetitive profanities can be distracting, uncreative, or pointless. That doesn't automatically mean the author is a bad author, it just means that it might not represent their best creativity.

In all of this, it has been hard for forum members to draw precise lines as to what is acceptable and what isn't. I think this is okay. Let's keep in mind that music and language are more art than science, making it difficult to find black and white lines.

However, the Bible still gives us binding advice to follow when it comes to these gray areas: 1 Cor 8:9-13
9 Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 10 For if anyone with a weak conscience sees you who have this knowledge eating in an idol's temple, won't he be emboldened to eat what has been sacrificed to idols? 11 So this weak brother, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. 12 When you sin against your brothers in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13 Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall.

A third issue discussed in this thread has been the government's role in restricting obscene material. Even in this issue, there seems to be a fair amount of agreement. From reading previous posts, it seems most of us are uncomfortable with trusting the government with the power to decide what offends and what doesn't. Many of us know people who think Christians are offensive, but we certainly don't want the government to restrict the freedom of Christians to share their faith just because a band of people get together and accuse us of being offensive.

That said, I suspect that many of us also feel that there are some things that are totally out of line, and we would like to see ourselves or our families protected. Summing up my feelings, I would say that I want the government to have some control over public obscenities, but almost no control over private obscenities.

If someone wants to listen to grotesque music in their own home, that's up to them. I may not think it is healthy for them, but they may not think reading my Bible is healthy for me. But if they start forcing me to listen to their music by cranking it up to 200 decibles, making it louder than a jet airplane, it should be against the law. And in fairness, it should also be against the law for me to shout the gospel back at them at 200 decibles.

We don't want the government to regulate our private lives. But at the same time, when we are in public, we don't want to be forced at looking at or hearing something that is totally obscene or grotesque.

TheFireBreathes
05-19-2006, 08:45 PM
Does that mean that the person is less creative than normal? Look at Kurt Cobain, he was more creative than the entire Christian music industry, and he swore a bit. The Beatles are another outstanding example of that, John Lennon had a pretty "dirty" mouth.

You cant win an arguement based on your opinion of music creativity. In my opinion I dont like most Beatles lyrics. But I havent heard them all. So you cant say one person is better than an entire industry without first listening to everything yourself, you know?

Isildur9473
05-19-2006, 09:00 PM
You cant win an arguement based on your opinion of music creativity. In my opinion I dont like most Beatles lyrics. But I havent heard them all. So you cant say one person is better than an entire industry without first listening to everything yourself, you know?

Actually I really don't know. I don't think I'm going to convince you guys otherwise.

riz
05-20-2006, 07:49 AM
The f-word these days has many meanings and is used as nouns, adjectives, whatever.

Prepositions and conjunctions have yet to have an f-word form, but I'm sure there are some people creative enough to find a way to make it work.

cloroxmartini
05-20-2006, 07:55 AM
See, even Riz sees it. You have to be creative to use it that way. :P

TheFireBreathes
05-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Prepositions and conjunctions have yet to have an f-word form, but I'm sure there are some people creative enough to find a way to make it work.

And Im sure people are creativity enough to substitute that word for a whole paragraph on what they feel.

cloroxmartini
05-20-2006, 09:07 PM
This is what Linkin Park believes.

TheFireBreathes
05-21-2006, 06:36 AM
No Ive heard em say the f-word in a song.

unshakeable15
05-21-2006, 01:33 PM
Wow, this thread really frustrated me. I know very little about music censorship but all the discussion about whether it right or wrong to sin. It's sinning people. Swearing is sinning. If you disagree go read you bible.
i did read my Bible. Specifically, i read Philippians 3: 7-9 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=57&chapter=3&verse=7&end_verse=9&version=31&context=context). That word in there, in verse 8, rubbish, it's Greek is "skubala" which has an English equivalent in a certain four-letter "s" word that many Christians consider obsene and a swear word. If you just put a blanket over swear words (which is a big blanket because "bloody" isn't a swear word in America, but is certainly is one in England, and the reverse is true with many other words, even though we all speak English), that big blanket says that Paul swore in the Bible and that must mean he sinned. So why keep that word in there? Or that verse, for heaven's sake!

Because it makes a point. Paul is saying that everything he's done is *male cow dung* compared to knowing Christ. Makes a stronger point than if he'd just said rubbish.

Are you willing to let go of music that is appealing to the ear, because this isn't something that is letting the devil find a way to sneak in? It may sound good but is the message turning your eyes off Jesus?
Good point. There are some songs i do not like because of the language, simply because they rub me wrong (Jet's "Cold Hard _-_-_" comes to mind). There are others that i can slide over it (Audioslave's "Set It Off" has the "f" word which i substitute with an "s" when singing along).

But it really does come down to "what is good for me? what should i listen to and what should i not, even if i enjoy it?"

terrasin
05-21-2006, 10:21 PM
In otherwords, this has just turned into another "is swearing bad" thread...

CJ

planet_kosmos
05-22-2006, 03:09 AM
yeah, and how many of them are there ? ? ?

as~i~lay~dying
05-22-2006, 11:42 PM
If you have a problem with swearing, then buy an edited CD.

I agree ... I don't think it's right(swearing), but we do have the freedom of speech ... nothign we can really do about it~

unshakeable15
05-29-2006, 07:32 PM
In otherwords, this has just turned into another "is swearing bad" thread...

CJ
True. But what about the other forms of censorship?

If why want to censor the songs with swearing, what about the songs that talk about rape, or demean women, or cut apart people in a way that does nothing but tear them to pieces? Why is it only swear words we talk about when we talk about music censorship?

alorian
05-29-2006, 07:41 PM
I'd rather hear a song with nothing but &^%&^$^&%&^%(*&%*&# than here a 5 second portion with innuendo of what mike just said.

terrasin
05-29-2006, 08:31 PM
True. But what about the other forms of censorship?

If why want to censor the songs with swearing, what about the songs that talk about rape, or demean women, or cut apart people in a way that does nothing but tear them to pieces? Why is it only swear words we talk about when we talk about music censorship?
That's what I was getting at.

But you have to keep in mind that the world isn't Christian. Other people might not have the moral standards that you or I might have. As much as we would like to see that happen, it's not going to. And while I might not agree with a lot of what is in their music, I have to make a stand against any type of law that would censor what people are or are not allowed to talk about. What will happen when the day comes, and it most certainly is coming, when the Christian religion becomes censored in this country? You will be loving up your freedom of speech. They are already in the process of having religion removed from schools, government, and everything else that has to do with public places and people who might get offended.

CJ

alorian
05-29-2006, 08:45 PM
I remember a quote from Voltaire a mod (mike I think) had in their siggy. Something like "I may not agree with what you say but I'll fight till the death for your right to say it!"

unshakeable15
05-29-2006, 08:55 PM
Much as i appreciate that little nod my way, it was Will who had that as his sig. :)

alorian
05-29-2006, 09:20 PM
Oops, heh, thanks mike :)

skilletosis
05-30-2006, 09:43 PM
In the late 80's there was a huge political movement to put the little warning stickers on albums that had profanity in them. They held hearings. One of those leaders was in fact Tipper Gore. Now what made this interesting was that they decided to pick Dee Snyder from Twisted Sister to bring into the hearings and question. They asked him various questions on of which was "what is the name of your fan club". Answer SMFF of Twisted Sister (use your imagination and you'll know what the f's mean). Little did they know they couldn't have picked a straighter arrow than Dee, he was one of the very few sober musicians at the time. The result was the stickers got put on cd's and the cd's that had the stickers sold like hot cakes. Will censorship work? No. But that doesn't mean I don't want to puke whenever I hear gangsta rap.

NightCrawler
08-04-2006, 05:45 AM
Aside from music censorship, what about music videos?

TheFireBreathes
08-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Aside from music censorship, what about music videos?

What about them? Are you talking about most rap videos where all they show is women dancing? Heh. I could care less about those. They're also uncreative.

disciple
08-07-2006, 10:08 AM
And the music is creative? :P

alorian
08-07-2006, 12:15 PM
Maybe if you're a rock. Or not a rock. A good rock. A polished rock. Hmm, I'll use a different analogy. I like rocks.

It's creative if you're a blank white wall.

TheFireBreathes
08-07-2006, 07:31 PM
And the music is creative? :P

Haha. I guess it's kinda creative on how many different sexual refrences they can use? I'm also trying to be unbiased.

disciple
08-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Haha. I guess it's kinda creative on how many different sexual refrences they can use? I'm also trying to be unbiased.
I don't know how unbiased I can be about hip-hop.

asparagus
08-09-2006, 12:57 AM
Playing devil's advocate, there was a time when jazz was considered racy. Jazz was seen as sexually over the top. I mean, just the term "jazzing," was a rather provocative term. Take a look at Lewis Armstrong. The man says he was born in a brothel! It's very racy stuff that Jazz is born out of, but today we certainly don't think of it that way. We see jazz as sophisticated and relaxing.

Sure, there's a lot of crazy videos out there, but it does seem like there are some parellels here. And let's not forget that "hip-hop" is not the only genre of music that pushes the envelope.

NightCrawler
08-09-2006, 06:14 AM
Heh... Yats.

disciple
08-09-2006, 12:12 PM
And let's not forget that "hip-hop" is not the only genre of music that pushes the envelope.
Yeah, sadly the radio is a good reminder of things being pushed.

somasoul
09-14-2006, 02:12 PM
The thing with rap is that there seems to be so little positive out of it. Rock music has it's rebels and bad boys but there's no shortage of music with a positive message. It seems like nearly all rap is filled with profanity, sexual references, drugs, violence. The genre as a whole is disturbingly malicious.

Grunge=Fun
09-14-2006, 07:20 PM
i see swearing as more of an expression. singing about sex is one thing but using a profanity as an expression is another thing. you can really feel where the artist is coming from and see their anger or depression. the thing is, what people write is their own decision. there are consequences that will limit their fanbase if lets say swearing offends somebody. thats their own choice :-\. some kids cant get cds with parental advisories and that is also the artists fault for limiting their audience. i dont really care what you do but i know it could affect your album sales :-P

NightCrawler
09-23-2006, 01:16 PM
i see swearing as more of an expression
I see a mason jar filled with urine and a cross as an expression of art!

riz
09-23-2006, 01:27 PM
^ that is a very true 'expression of art'. And you know, Christians trying to censor that was what made it popular when it was put on exhibition.