timmyrotter
05-23-2006, 11:18 AM
so what did you think about the book or the movie? please people who havent done either, dont judge or freak out. i thought it was a good movie, pretty exciting and intense, gets ya thinking...

cloroxmartini
05-23-2006, 11:20 AM
I want to see it sometime. I don't know when though, it was pretty packed yesterday when I went to see M:I:3.

timmyrotter
05-23-2006, 11:32 AM
tom cruise is a psyco!

terrasin
05-23-2006, 02:45 PM
We're going to see DVC this weekend. I'm really excited to see it despite the 50/50 devided reviews I've been seeing. Some love it, some don't.

CJ

amodman
05-23-2006, 03:05 PM
I've heard from every single source I know possible that the Da Vinci Code movie is a load of crap. Pure suckage through and through. The reviewers at the world premier were LAUGHING at the plot exposition. It's not worth my time or money. Plus, I don't think this is much of a Mars Hill topic. I mean, it's not like I'm starting threads on the spiritual impact of George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones series or anything. Fiction is fiction...

Isildur9473
05-23-2006, 03:46 PM
It's a pretty bad book. I'm not saying that because of the subject matter, it's just boring. Thrillers are supposed to thrill, Dan Brown should get that down before he tries to write any more thrillers.

And that's why I'm not going to spend my money on the movie.

zeroneff
05-23-2006, 04:53 PM
lie's all of it nothing but a myth...

Isildur9473
05-23-2006, 05:08 PM
lie's all of it nothing but a myth...

Just about every movie that comes out is a lie, since most every movie is fictional.

timmyrotter
05-24-2006, 07:01 AM
I've heard from every single source I know possible that the Da Vinci Code movie is a load of crap. Pure suckage through and through. The reviewers at the world premier were LAUGHING at the plot exposition. It's not worth my time or money. Plus, I don't think this is much of a Mars Hill topic. I mean, it's not like I'm starting threads on the spiritual impact of George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones series or anything. Fiction is fiction...

judgemental...
i agree with Greg, most movies that come out arent true, but its a good movie, kinda like a more mature version of National Threasure.

NightCrawler
05-24-2006, 07:17 AM
Just about every movie that comes out is a lie, since most every movie is fictional.
YOU MEAN I CAN't HAVE JEDI POWERS?!!!!!!!!!111one

Isildur9473
05-24-2006, 08:21 AM
YOU MEAN I CAN't HAVE JEDI POWERS?!!!!!!!!!111one

I'm sorry to have to break it to you.. :(

amodman
05-24-2006, 09:14 AM
You know, Narnia was pretty Goddamn blasphemous...just saying.

timmyrotter
05-24-2006, 11:25 AM
damning God is pretty friggen blasphemous as well...

Isildur9473
05-24-2006, 12:07 PM

He'd have to switch the word order around on that one...

animeraven34
05-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Could the idea that God could even be damned be considered blasphemy?

terrasin
05-24-2006, 01:12 PM
You're not condemning God, you are wanting God to condemn something.

CJ

timmyrotter
05-24-2006, 01:54 PM
well let him Damn what he wants, you dont need to curse it yourself, or attempt to i guess... anyways good luck with the Goddamning, oh holy one.

amodman
05-24-2006, 03:03 PM

First of all, I didn't. Second of all, I'm making a point. People are all ready to defend Narnia and the like, saying it's just fiction and not to be taken literally which would, thus, make it blasphemous. But, apparently, the Da Vinci Code, being fiction as well, must be taken literally and "spoken out against." Well, by that logic, we should do the same for The Matrix, Narnia, etc. as well :P. And, yes, I was being judgemental about the Da Vinci Code. You're supposed to be. It's a movie, entertainment. I'm not gonna go waste a buncha money on what pretty much everyone agrees was a crappy and poorly done movie.

Isildur9473
05-24-2006, 03:14 PM
I say we compose a committee made up of petrameansrock, disciple and our new friend k-pak to figure out what is and what isn't blasphemy.

cinnamonxspider
05-24-2006, 07:48 PM
I say we compose a committee made up of petrameansrock, disciple and our new friend k-pak to figure out what is and what isn't blasphemy.

for once in my life, i actually agree with you (especially regarding our new friend k-pak). it'd be a good committee.

skilletfreak101
05-24-2006, 08:28 PM
did you know that only 10% of americans actually believe that the davinci code is real? hahahaha......why is this in the mars hill? that makes me laugh

riz
05-24-2006, 09:10 PM
I think this actually would be the best place to discuss this topic.

Apart from the Da Vinci Code not being well-written (if you've read it you know what I'm talking about), it also read more like a movie than anything else. One of my good friends also thought the same thing I did, and she saw the movie, and said it was horrible.

I hope I enjoy the movie a little bit, at least. Whenever I get the chance to see it, that is.

timmyrotter
05-25-2006, 07:03 AM
ron howard is a great director, and tom hankes is a great actor, so its gotta be good!

NightCrawler
05-25-2006, 08:50 AM
did you know that only 10% of americans actually believe that the davinci code is real? hahahaha......why is this in the mars hill? that makes me laugh...Only 10%? I hope you are joking, I would be horrified at 4%.

Isildur9473
05-25-2006, 09:29 AM
ron howard is a great director, and tom hankes is a great actor, so its gotta be good!

I completely agree. I think that no matter how bad the plot is, if the main character is a good actor or actress, and the director is good, it's going to be a great movie. There is absolutely no gray area here.

somasoul
05-25-2006, 09:53 AM
The guy who came up with the ideas behind the book (I forget his name but it was earlier this century) concluded that he made up all the crud about Jesus and Mary. It's a proven hoax. It's a fictious movie. I'm not oppossed to the movie or book. I just hope people are smart enough to know BS when they see it.

amodman
05-25-2006, 09:54 AM
I completely agree. I think that no matter how bad the plot is, if the main character is a good actor or actress, and the director is good, it's going to be a great movie. There is absolutely no gray area here.

Basically, the reviews said, "Tom Hanks is an excellent actor, but he can't work miracles. The material was horrible." I actually heard Ian McKellan was the only one that stole the show.

skilletfreak101
05-25-2006, 05:24 PM
well that 10% is probably all the big shots and the media...so of course we are going to get bombarded that it's real...but the media is just a bunch of crap and i don't listen to it

amodman
05-25-2006, 05:44 PM
well that 10% is probably all the big shots and the media...so of course we are going to get bombarded that it's real...but the media is just a bunch of crap and i don't listen to it

Seriously, what are you talking about? Do you honestly think 10% of America believes the Da Vinci code is real? Even the author doesn't believe that crap. He's been quoted as saying he doesn't understand why anyone even is taking it so literally...though very few actually are. It's mostly Christians overplaying crap when the few idiots out there who were going to believe anything blasphemous to God in the first place are falling in line.

skilletfreak101
05-26-2006, 09:46 AM
Seriously, what are you talking about? Do you honestly think 10% of America believes the Da Vinci code is real? Even the author doesn't believe that crap. He's been quoted as saying he doesn't understand why anyone even is taking it so literally...though very few actually are. It's mostly Christians overplaying crap when the few idiots out there who were going to believe anything blasphemous to God in the first place are falling in line.
dude you are totally taking me wrong.....i know that the author doesn't believe it's true...and i'm not worried at all about it. that's what i'm trying to say..barely anybody believes it is real. that's why i asked why this thread was in mars hill.

riz
05-26-2006, 10:32 AM

This isn't always true. No director or actor is perfect or smart in their movie choices, and sometimes the actual acting or directing can't save a crappy film. The Ladykillers (Hanks) and How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Howard) both come to mind.

disciple
05-26-2006, 12:47 PM
You only said that because I wasn't around to say something back...

for once in my life, i actually agree with you (especially regarding our new friend k-pak). it'd be a good committee.
...but now I think there's some kind of inside joke going around about me. :P

unshakeable15
05-29-2006, 08:15 PM
i'd be interested to see where you got that "quote" (not the word i want) from Dan Brown. This is straight from his website, danbrown.com (http://www.danbrown.com/novels/davinci_code/faqs.html).

HOW MUCH OF THIS NOVEL IS TRUE?
The Da Vinci Code is a novel and therefore a work of fiction. While the book's characters and their actions are obviously not real, the artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals depicted in this novel all exist (for example, Leonardo Da Vinci's paintings, the Gnostic Gospels, Hieros Gamos, etc.). These real elements are interpreted and debated by fictional characters....

HOW DID YOU GET ALL THE INSIDE INFORMATION FOR THIS BOOK?
Most of the information is not as "inside" as it seems. The secret described in the novel has been chronicled for centuries, so there are thousands of sources to draw from. In addition, I was surprised how eager historians were to share their expertise with me. One academic told me her enthusiasm for The Da Vinci Code was based in part on her hope that "this ancient mystery would be unveiled to a wider audience."
Dan Brown seems to think the theories espoused by the characters (though they be fictional) contain enough truth that he wrote the novel around those ideas.

On a slightly different note, there is an interesting review i found (decentfilms.com (http://decentfilms.com/sections/reviews/davincicode.html)) concerning the anti-Catholic message in the movie. Makes for an interesting read.

postingiscool
06-01-2006, 08:28 PM
hmmmm. i personaly dont choose to see a movie that challenges the divinity of Christ under the guise of "entertainment"

unshakeable15
06-02-2006, 02:10 PM
But how else are we to be able to speak intelligently to our friends about the falsehoods in movies such as these if we don't see them? You can't get as much out of, nor achieve the same level of credibility, just reading about it in a review or hearing from your pastor.

disciple
06-02-2006, 02:23 PM
When the author admits it's a load of crap, you know it's a load of crap.

Anyway, I don't need to see the movie, because I have gotten enough of The Da Vinci code on NBC, The History Channel, and online. All of it has spoiled whatever entertainment I would have been able to draw from the movie, if I could have.

burned_inside
06-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Actually, i was going to say it was a load, but i haven't seen it, and also, i thought a bunch of people in here made several good points. My pastor, btw, is totally agaisnt it. But frankly, im sick of seeing all this and that about it, and about DaVinci Code this and how its right. You all said 10%, but, i must bring up, that, people are stupid, and ya. When people start believe all stuff on...idk, Star Wars or, Pokemon, you wonder who does and doesn't believe this movie or book. anyway, im not saying anything against anyone in here, im just saying.

timmyrotter
06-15-2006, 02:45 PM
Actually, i was going to say it was a load, but i haven't seen it, and also, i thought a bunch of people in here made several good points. My pastor, btw, is totally agaisnt it. But frankly, im sick of seeing all this and that about it, and about DaVinci Code this and how its right. You all said 10%, but, i must bring up, that, people are stupid, and ya. When people start believe all stuff on...idk, Star Wars or, Pokemon, you wonder who does and doesn't believe this movie or book. anyway, im not saying anything against anyone in here, im just saying.
ummm... let me be the first to take offense to that...

burned_inside
06-15-2006, 03:21 PM
ya, but half of it im just saying, i don't feel strongly about it, the only thing i do, is that the whole movie and book and whatever, does say something agaist the Bible. Thats my main problem with it.

amodman
06-15-2006, 09:22 PM
i'd be interested to see where you got that "quote" (not the word i want) from Dan Brown. This is straight from his website, danbrown.com (http://www.danbrown.com/novels/davinci_code/faqs.html).

Dan Brown seems to think the theories espoused by the characters (though they be fictional) contain enough truth that he wrote the novel around those ideas.

On a slightly different note, there is an interesting review i found (decentfilms.com (http://decentfilms.com/sections/reviews/davincicode.html)) concerning the anti-Catholic message in the movie. Makes for an interesting read.

I saw him on the today show (at about the premiere, maybe on...). He was saying he was astounded people were taking it literally. If anything was to be taken out of the book, he claimed he wanted it to just to cause people to think about and question they're faith so they know what they're believing. Don't ask me, he was probably responding to all the fire he was getting on it :P.

Isildur9473
06-15-2006, 09:48 PM
I saw him on the today show (at about the premiere, maybe on...). He was saying he was astounded people were taking it literally. If anything was to be taken out of the book, he claimed he wanted it to just to cause people to think about and question they're faith so they know what they're believing. Don't ask me, he was probably responding to all the fire he was getting on it :P.

You know, if we went with my committee of petrameansrock, disciple and K-Pak to figure out what is and isn't blasphemy, we wouldn't be having these silly arguments.

disciple
06-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Would we rule by majority vote? If so, I'm not in for it, because they'd overrule me all the time.

Isildur9473
06-15-2006, 10:07 PM
Would we rule by majority vote? If so, I'm not in for it, because they'd overrule me all the time.

No, k-pak would be the chairman, you'd be the official fixer of holes where the rain gets in, and petrameansrock would sort of just be there.

disciple
06-15-2006, 10:11 PM
I see! I don't like this idea, I don't like patching up holes. :(

Isildur9473
06-15-2006, 10:12 PM
I see! I don't like this idea, I don't like patching up holes. :(

Well, you could be the chairman, and sort of just be there. K-Pak would be the official fixer of holes where the rain gets in, and petrameansrock would be for the benefit of Mr. Kite.

disciple
06-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Sounds fair to me.

terrasin
06-16-2006, 11:45 PM
If anything was to be taken out of the book, he claimed he wanted it to just to cause people to think about and question they're faith so they know what they're believing.
I find that a very good thing to do. People follow, but they don't know or understand why. This is not a good thing because if you don't even know why you are following, why do you bother? It turns your whole belief into a fad. Basically doing it because everyone else is or because I had an emotional moment in church one morning when the pastor made me feel bad about my life. It's very good thing to question why we believe so you fully understand the decision you made.

CJ