skilletosis
05-29-2006, 05:50 PM
When we were driving through the country in Texas I saw 4 road kills in just 4 days. Now this is an area that only has 30k people in the county. There was a couple of cats, a possum, and a racoon. We in fact almost made number 5. We were driving along and I kid you not there was a turkey on the side of the road. The dingbat turkey decides to take off toward the road. Turkeys aren't very graceful when taking off. We had to swerve to miss it. I joked to my hubby that if we would have hit it we would be taking it to the pit bbq joint and say "cook it up".

So have any of you been the cause of road kill? If so what did you nail?

Undomiel
05-29-2006, 05:52 PM
nothing yet thankfully...i would feel bad for my car.

skilletosis
05-29-2006, 05:54 PM
Oh and we had a rental car. It was a bright yellow 2006 Mustang. You know the ones that are all retro looking with a fastback. The car was sweet.

john316
05-29-2006, 06:06 PM
You know i hate hitting an animal with the car and have come near to having an accident trying to avoid it but I have hit a few small ones rabbits,grounghogs etc. My wife creamed a deer one time.

skilletosis
05-29-2006, 06:09 PM
Oh no John. Bet that tore up the car. How was your wife?

john316
05-29-2006, 06:14 PM
Oh no John. Bet that tore up the car. How was your wife?

You know what God was really with her that day...she had a Dodge Omni and was taking Heather who was about 7 at the time to the baby sitter.

The deer hit the right front corner of the fender and broke its neck and shoulder but the only damage to the car was the fender,headlamp and a corner of the grill...not bad for a small car like that.

skilletosis
05-29-2006, 06:16 PM
Wow I've seen a great Dane take out a Civic before. She definately had Gods hand on her that day.

skilletosis
05-29-2006, 06:17 PM
Oh what happened to the deer. Did she leave it?

Isildur9473
05-29-2006, 06:42 PM
I was driving home from a friends house at about 1 in the morning and I ran a cat over. I've also run a squirrel over. That's about it.

Bassplayer
05-29-2006, 07:37 PM
there is sooo much roadkill around where i live. it's insane. i see at least 2 kills everytime i go driving. we have squirells, possums, cats, dogs, deer, birds, the occational cow, and other animals. my fam is temped to open up the RoadKill Cafe. U kill it, we grill it. lol

404not_found
05-29-2006, 07:55 PM
My aunt went bike riding with some friends and a squirl ran across the pass and she hit it. So my mom bought her an animal horn for her bike so she could warn the squirls shes coming through :P-

unshakeable15
05-29-2006, 09:09 PM
i was in a car with a guy when he hit a bird that flew right into the hood of the car. Kinda ricocheted off the car into the ditch by the side of the road.

Oh, and i hit a biker once. He was trying to cross in front of me as i was trying to turn right onto a busy street. Didn't do anything but bend his front tire and use his leg to rub off a bunch of dirt off my bumper.

pizza brain
05-29-2006, 09:14 PM
My dad has hit so many deer it's not even funny.

john316
05-30-2006, 02:50 PM
Oh what happened to the deer. Did she leave it?

Thats another story...I took the thing, skinned it and processed it but for some reason I could not eat it...i know it was all in my mind but i thought it didnt taste right. I wound up giving it away to some friends and they thought it tasted fine.

I had to cut away a lot of ruined meat when i cleaned it and i think that just stuck in my head when i tried to eat it. That was the only time i can remember not liking venison and to this day i wont eat a road kill deer.

skilltroks
05-30-2006, 03:26 PM
I hurt/might have killed a bird on my way to school once.
It seems that a cat was freshly killed by my house. Very pleasant.

john316
05-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Oh, and i hit a biker once. He was trying to cross in front of me as i was trying to turn right onto a busy street. Didn't do anything but bend his front tire and use his leg to rub off a bunch of dirt off my bumper.

I assume he was a bicyclist...because if you had bent the front tire of a Harley biker he might of used your leg to clean something ;)

unshakeable15
05-30-2006, 06:40 PM
Yes, a bicyclist, not a biker. Sorry.

MeNtAlCaSe
05-31-2006, 05:18 AM
Yeaaaaaaah. Real Harley riders (not the biker wannabe's) have a tendency to take any unauthorized contact with their bikes is a somewhat negative light. The potential exists for them to stuff you up the tailpipe of your car.

disciple
05-31-2006, 01:02 PM
i was in a car with a guy when he hit a bird that flew right into the hood of the car. Kinda ricocheted off the car into the ditch by the side of the road.

My story on the biker's end is a bit more harrowing. :D

pizza brain
05-31-2006, 09:22 PM
Yeaaaaaaah. Real Harley riders (not the biker wannabe's) have a tendency to take any unauthorized contact with their bikes is a somewhat negative light. The potential exists for them to stuff you up the tailpipe of your car.
It depends how big and fast they are.

zjf
06-01-2006, 07:34 AM
Unshakeable: I've never HIT a biker...but I've *BEEN* hit...messed my poor bicycle up...although, God was with me, so all I got out of it was a skinned elbow from sliding off the hood, and a torn up bike that doesn't quite ride the same today.

...beyond being used as a pinball for a slightly plastered driver in a red saturn that hit me and ran, I've never hit anything (maybe sympathy knowing what it's like to get hit by a car?) :-P

disciple
06-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Unshakeable: I've never HIT a biker...but I've *BEEN* hit...messed my poor bicycle up...although, God was with me, so all I got out of it was a skinned elbow from sliding off the hood, and a torn up bike that doesn't quite ride the same today.

...beyond being used as a pinball for a slightly plastered driver in a red saturn that hit me and ran, I've never hit anything (maybe sympathy knowing what it's like to get hit by a car?) :-P
Same for me, 'cept I had a concussion as well, my bike was thrashed, the driver was an old lady, and she was driving a red Ford Taurus. :P

theelectric3
06-01-2006, 11:24 AM
i've seen too many victims of road kill lately. one was a dalmation... that was really sad. must have been in someone's car and got out or something. because it was on a freeway shoulder not around a residential area...

timmyrotter
06-01-2006, 11:29 AM
sometimes i try to hit cats, but they are fast. but ive had opportunities to hit them in residential areas but that may not kill them all the way, thus making it inhumane.

i did see a fresh deer a couple days ago. but the best one was a couple years back when we were going hunting, and we were drivnign and about to climb a huge hill and there was a streak of blood for about a mile, and at the top there was what was left of a carcass...

disciple
06-01-2006, 11:31 AM
Uh-huh... I hope I misread that. Unless I did not see what was supposed to be apparent sarcasm.

timmyrotter
06-01-2006, 01:29 PM
cats are stupid creatures, pests, what separates them from flies or mesquitoes?

aliengurl7
06-01-2006, 01:46 PM
sometimes i try to hit cats, but they are fast. but ive had opportunities to hit them in residential areas but that may not kill them all the way, thus making it inhumane.

Try to hit them on purpose? You do know that is illegal and morally wrong? People like you really need to get locked up. It's just evil, picking on smaller animals and trying to kill them just because you hate them, you should feel ashamed. If you're joking or being sarcastic, it's not funny.

cats are stupid creatures, pests, what separates them from flies or mesquitoes?

Cats aren't stupid, they are lovable, fun, playful little guys.

disciple
06-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Well, cats ARE evil, like boys and girls, but they don't deserve to be victims of roadkill.

Mikazaru
06-01-2006, 02:30 PM
True true.

john316
06-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Well, cats ARE evil, like boys and girls, but they don't deserve to be victims of roadkill.

i also agree...i am not big on cats either but i still wouldnt want to hit one.

theelectric3
06-02-2006, 12:06 PM
ah, but you don't know my kitty. ;) he's awesome.

unshakeable15
06-02-2006, 01:54 PM
The best cats are the ones that act like dogs. :)

But killing them on purpose is horrible. And you only get 2 points for it! (i got 50 for the bicyclist; squirrels are 30; birds are 45.)

skilletosis
06-17-2006, 06:20 AM
Well we finally made it deep in the heart of Texas. I finally saw my first fawn and armadillo. Why are you posting this here you ask? Because they were both ROAD KILL. It was sad. However I did see two live deer in a medow next to the freeway.

The drive through Texas was interesting. We bought some walkie talkies before the trip because my phone had no reception in the last 50 miles of the trip and my hubbys new phone doesn't have the walkie feature. So we made up a new game called Name That Road Kill. I learned that the best way to tell what a squished road kill is by looking at the tail if it is still attached.

Also there is a bend in the freeway on the edge of Abilene which we named Road Kill Bend. I saw 4 road kills on the little bend. I would estimate about 30 road kills on the stretch from Abilene to Dublin. That's about a 100 mile stretch.

Bassplayer
06-23-2006, 08:16 PM
i think i ran over a little bird on the way home tonight. i was going 45mph and saw the bird about 2 seconds before the car passed over it. i don't know if it was squished, or just passed over.

Undomiel
06-29-2006, 07:56 PM
i almost hit a squirrel, but it got across in time.

riz
06-30-2006, 06:18 AM
Although it wasn't done by car, one of my co-workers at the zoo drove over a groundhog one morning during the train's test run. It decided to dash onto the track on the last minute. Idiot animal.

What separates cats from flies and mesquitoes? Numerous reasons, one that might have been a bit less obvious would have been the fact that it is a mammal and that it can do more intelligent things than flying, buzzing, and sucking blood from random humans.

Bassplayer
07-11-2006, 06:44 AM
well, yesterday i was driving home from Shelbyville, and my mom says that i hit a bird. i didn't hear or feel a thump, but oh well. then, on the way back from VBS, a bat flew into our windshield and got caught on the wipers. we got home and pulled him free but he died about 15 minutes later. but we got pics and stuff. but it brings a whole new meaning to "Blind as a Bat!"

theelectric3
07-11-2006, 01:11 PM
aw, how sad!

(i've been seeing bats around me area more recently... which is interesting in that i don't remember seeing them much, if at all.)

Bassplayer
07-11-2006, 07:23 PM
i didn't even know that we had a whole lot of bats around here. but then again, i do live in the mountains. I see soooo much road-kill around here, it's not even funny. everything from deer to possums, from squirrels to birds, and from dogs to cats. it's get's kinds freaky after while

jade
07-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Wow, I think that's the first I've heard of bat road kill.

They are cute, nonetheless.

I live out in the middle of no where so we have lots of road kill ... rabbits, squirrels, and snakes are the most common.

riz
07-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Remember about that groundhog incident I mentioned?

I was driving the train on Monday, and one of those suckers almost got hit. Those rodents have some sort of death wish...

disciple
07-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Dont run animals over, animals are humans too!!! :D

pizza brain
07-12-2006, 06:10 PM
I belive animals were desinged to improve driving skill.

Bassplayer
07-12-2006, 06:30 PM
amen to that. i've dodged so many animals lately. they seem to have lost their fear of loud machines. but if u want to learn how to drive well when dodging things, find a road with animals.

theelectric3
07-13-2006, 01:08 PM
it's sad when squirrels and such run in the street... it's like "do you WANT to be hit that badly?" (kinda like your groundhog incidents kevin.)

pizza brain
07-13-2006, 03:00 PM
amen to that. i've dodged so many animals lately. they seem to have lost their fear of loud machines. but if u want to learn how to drive well when dodging things, find a road with animals.

noo you improve your skill by trying to hit them :)

korey_cooper_jr
07-18-2006, 11:04 AM
I think I hit a bird once. I mean, I saw it sitting there in the road, but they usually take off. This one enevr took off... :-[

skilletosis
07-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Today we took a drive to Fort Worth. The road kill count is as follows. 6 racoons, 1 bird, 1 turtle, and 1 cat. Oh and turtles are interesting road kill. They are smashed and splatered. Our oldest daughter was disapointed to not see any squirrels. I however did see 2 live squirrels.

disciple
07-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Oh yay, someone threw a dead cat in front of our house. How nice of these people.

skilletosis
07-29-2006, 07:05 PM
D, didn't you have an issue with dead cats last year or so? Or was it someone else on the boards?

dawn of light
07-31-2006, 07:39 AM
My bf almost ran over a raccoon this weekend. Luckily I yelled for him to slow down just in time and the little guy got away. Phew!

Maddog
07-31-2006, 12:46 PM
i almost ran over a fly...tragic

disciple
07-31-2006, 02:33 PM
D, didn't you have an issue with dead cats last year or so? Or was it someone else on the boards?
I dunno, I'm pretty short on memory at the moment. Mighta been me, but I'm not sure enough, so I'll just say it was someone else. I do recall a brick being thrown at our house, though, as well as empty alcoholic beverage containers, but this is the roadkill thread, so I'll stop there.

1nonlyjen
07-31-2006, 02:46 PM
My dad hit a bunny a while back. He said that he couldn't help it but we still didn't speak to him for a good hour.

forceflow17
05-08-2007, 10:22 AM
my dad and y brother have both run over squirrels in golf carts when i was riding with them. both times it was funny, cuz from the passanger side i watched the squirrel run at the exact angle needed to get run over by the front right tire. kuthump, thump

I Bite
05-09-2007, 08:02 PM
I almost ran over a squirrel the other day..My mom freaked out cuz i braked hard (there was no one behind me), as apposed to her method of swerving over into the other lane, which holds oncoming traffic.
I think my way is better.

zjf
05-10-2007, 10:02 AM
I hit a squirrel once. It tried to jump from tree branch to tree branch and missed and landed practically under my tire. Needless to say there wasn't anything that could have been done but clean my car up afterwards.

alienyouth9292
05-10-2007, 03:49 PM
i saw a dead snake on the road beside my house today....

the rocker
05-11-2007, 01:13 PM
I almost hit a low-flying bird yesterday, but didn't bother to slow down. He's fine, I'm fine, we're all good.