timmyrotter
06-06-2006, 02:52 PM
hey everyone, i started this thread for people to ask about where you should buy. and for others to hopefully give an insightful answer.

with this in mind, im looking to buy a laptop computer, im looking to spend no more than 800-900 dollors, less is better. i dont really want it for gaming, i may a little. mostly for media and wi-fi. any suggestions? im leaning towards costco or dell right now...

Starbucks5721
06-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Hm, whatever you do, don't buy Averatec. It's this off-brand that they sell at Staples etc, and it seems like a great deal, decent pricing, good memory & all that jazz, but the fans crap out on you like no tomorrow. I got one for my 20th birthday, and I've had to send it back twice in the last year and a half. Other than that it is a great little laptop....

I'll be happy in a year when I have to get a Mac. (The bank account won't be, but I will XD)

Isildur9473
06-06-2006, 04:33 PM
Yeah, seriously get a Mac. If you want a PC, look into Compaq/HP/Gateway, I've always had the best luck with them.

will
06-06-2006, 04:45 PM
yeah, I'd have to echo the recommendation for a Mac... there's really getting to be very little reason not to get one over a PC. It's a little higher than you were looking to spend, but not by much -- if you're a student, the education price for MacBooks start at $1049.

disciple
06-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Don't get Gateway, in all seriousness. I've used my fair share, and they've been really bad for me.

terrasin
06-06-2006, 08:14 PM
I'd go with the Dell. They have the best company built PCs on the market and you can get a pretty powerful lappy that won't break your bank account.

CJ

disciple
06-06-2006, 08:15 PM
...but if you live in a rural area, expect really bad service.

Isildur9473
06-06-2006, 10:19 PM
I'd go with the Dell. They have the best company built PCs on the market and you can get a pretty powerful lappy that won't break your bank account.

CJ

I've had Dell's in the past, and in my opinion they were the worst I've ever had, with both service /support and general quality.

will
06-07-2006, 12:27 AM
I've had Dell's in the past, and in my opinion they were the worst I've ever had, with both service /support and general quality.I've had similar poor service & support with Dell when it comes to personal equipment. Now they are great with their corporate accounts, bending over backwards to make things as simple as possible for the customer... but that has certainly not been my experience with standard consumer purchases.

terrasin
06-07-2006, 12:48 AM
Hmm, I've been using my desktop now since Feb 2002 and the only problem I've ever had with it was that I needed to replace the fan on my video card. Other than that, I've not had any issues with it and I'm always running high stress programs on it so the workload is pretty high. Granted, I prefer using computers I build myself, but if I had to buy one, it would be a Dell.

CJ

timmyrotter
06-07-2006, 09:37 AM
well i know you guys are gonna kill me but i got an Acer, i researched it and found that they are desent machines. i guess they used to be very expensive, but now they have lowered. anyways its kinda a mid life crisis, so i dont have buyers remorse and i dont think i will. the only thing i dont like about it is the 64mb vid card. but its a great media machine. and i got it at costco and they are easy to return, and have great customer service. and it has like a 2 year warrante. it has an AMD turion 1.8ghz proc. 1 gb ddr memory, and 100gb hard drive... for 850$...

anyways now im looking at a deck (stereo) fo my car...

Isildur9473
06-07-2006, 03:03 PM
I was at everyone's favorite LDS Thrift Store, Deseret Industries yesterday. I was walking around the electroncis section looking around for the usual junk I buy, when I found an almost brand new flat screen CRT 17 inch monitor for $8. It wasn't one of those cheap ones either, the only problem is that it has the eMachines logo. Granted, eMachines is horrible, but they do use good monitors.

terrasin
06-07-2006, 11:41 PM
I do hope you bought it. :>

CJ

skilltroks
06-08-2006, 06:20 PM
don't expect to buy a great laptop with the budget of 800-900. ps dell=bad. get a mac.

timmyrotter
06-21-2006, 02:41 PM
im buying a pioneer cd deck for my car, 159$ pretty sweet!

Isildur9473
06-21-2006, 08:02 PM
I just bought a 2.1 Creative Speaker set, it's pretty great. The subwoofer is really intense.

timmyrotter
06-22-2006, 11:10 AM
is it a desktop? creative is nice! i wish i could afford Bose. my deck sounds great, im hooking up my sub now, 12" rockford fosgate, powered by a 750w pioneer amp!

dawn of light
06-23-2006, 06:55 AM
im buying a pioneer cd deck for my car, 159$ pretty sweet!

Pioneers are great I've had one for a while. Mine even plays scratched up cd's that won't work anywhere else. One time a cd fell on the car floor in the winter, and it got all scratched up and muddy. I think it even had some sticky, spilled, hot chocolate on it. Well anyways, I brought it into the house and washed it with soap and water and it still played in my car!

disciple
06-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Soap and water? You couldn't get a $5 CD cleaner from Wal-Mart like I did a year and a half ago? :P

timmyrotter
06-23-2006, 02:18 PM
dude my system sounds so sweet! bumpin to Jay-z linkin park collision course

Aragornsgirl217
06-23-2006, 02:40 PM
I was at everyone's favorite LDS Thrift Store, Deseret Industries yesterday. I was walking around the electroncis section looking around for the usual junk I buy, when I found an almost brand new flat screen CRT 17 inch monitor for $8. It wasn't one of those cheap ones either, the only problem is that it has the eMachines logo. Granted, eMachines is horrible, but they do use good monitors.
eMachines is so bad!!! Especially when you've had the same one for 10 years:P. I was singing praises when Dad came home with our Dell........I even heard the Hallelujah chorus:P

timmyrotter
06-29-2006, 06:57 AM
i need a digital camera, resonalbe price, quality, user friendly, quick and easy uploads.