amodman
06-12-2006, 06:28 PM
It's so 'swonderful! I was almost a Firefox convert, I tell you, with it's enhanced aesthetics and security over IE 6. But wow...the new (ish) IE 7 beta is simply amazing! Totally kicks Firefox in my book :D. It's tabbed browsing done right, and security galore! If your network supports it (it is a beta, after, I have seen certification issues...), and you have XP, get it. At least try it out, even if you do go back to stone age Firefox ;).

p.s. Yes, I realize Firefox may very well upgrade and become better in future versions, and some people detest Explorer/Xp/Microsoft/etc., but if you do have Xp, you at least owe it to yourself to try out the new browser :).

skilltroks
06-12-2006, 07:00 PM
my opinon: IE=still evil. The new IE is soo techy that it's not cool, the back, stop, search/go etc bottons are way too small and hard to figure out.

timmyrotter
06-12-2006, 07:06 PM
gah! i just got everything on firefox! not a new IE screw it, firefox it is. i know they are working on a new one and have had the beta Bon Echo fir awhile now...

Isildur9473
06-12-2006, 07:44 PM
my opinon: IE=still evil. The new IE is soo techy that it's not cool, the back, stop, search/go etc bottons are way too small and hard to figure out.

I've had 7 for a while, it's easy to use... I use Opera, Firefox and IE, it really just depends on my mood.

disciple
06-12-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm just gonna stick to Firefox, even when I get XP some day.

amodman
06-12-2006, 07:57 PM
I'm just gonna stick to Firefox, even when I get XP some day.

Well if you get XP there's no reason not to try it out. Explorer is an integral piece of XPs structure whether you use it or not :P. So you might as well upgrade...(and yes, folks, it is possible to rollback if you -actually-, :o, don't like it. I had to do it at my job a few times with a certain build that was having above noted certification issues with my college's network).

disciple
06-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Why waste my precious time? :D

amodman
06-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Why waste my precious time? :D

*shrugs* I dunno, I guess I can't win on that one. Typing posts such as above here on panheads obviously benefit us all rather than the time that could have been spent browsing over to microsoft's downloads page and grabbing the new IE beta ;). Though, I would reccomend you update your computer's OS anyways if you get XP. There's some pretty darn important ones you might want to get :P.

will
06-12-2006, 09:20 PM
I'm still trying to decide if this thread was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek or not :-\

I've been playing with IE7 and the public betas for Windows Vista and Office 2007 for a little bit. I haven't been too impressed by much of any of it except for possibly the new ribbon bar in Office. Ironically, I was bashing it pretty bad not too long ago, but as I understand it more and use it a bit, it is rather elegant in it's weirdness.

IE7 though? I definitely like the fact that it's more secure than IE6 and adheres to web standards MUCH better, but I certainly don't know what you mean by "tabbed browsing done right" How did the dozens of browsers that have supported tabbed browsing for years get it wrong?

amodman
06-12-2006, 09:33 PM
I'm still trying to decide if this thread was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek or not :-\

I've been playing with IE7 and the public betas for Windows Vista and Office 2007 for a little bit. I haven't been too impressed by much of any of it except for possibly the new ribbon bar in Office. Ironically, I was bashing it pretty bad not too long ago, but as I understand it more and use it a bit, it is rather elegant in it's weirdness.

IE7 though? I definitely like the fact that it's more secure than IE6 and adheres to web standards MUCH better, but I certainly don't know what you mean by "tabbed browsing done right" How did the dozens of browsers that have supported tabbed browsing for years get it wrong?

I've used Opera, Firefox, etc. (the free versions, anyway), but I have yet to use any of them that made the "tabbing" experience quite as seamless as IE 7 IMO. It's just so slick, has the quick button there to open a new tab, the x's to close each tab with one click, thumbnail button to view them all in case you have a million and half of them open (which I at times do ;) ). I honestly just think it's easiest and quickest tabbing experience I've had.

Isildur9473
06-12-2006, 09:44 PM
I agree with you, tabbing in IE 7 is great. When I would tab in other browsers, I felt like something was missing. Good job Microsoft.

terrasin
06-13-2006, 07:49 AM
*blinks*
No thank you very much. Like with every other product M$ makes, they will find holes in the security within weeks. Not that it really concerns me all that much, but I'm not a fan of any product M$ puts out in beta. I always wait about a year.

Plus, I hate tabbed browsing...

CJ

will
06-13-2006, 09:06 AM
I've used Opera, Firefox, etc. (the free versions, anyway), but I have yet to use any of them that made the "tabbing" experience quite as seamless as IE 7 IMO. It's just so slick, has the quick button there to open a new tab, the x's to close each tab with one click, thumbnail button to view them all in case you have a million and half of them open (which I at times do ;) ). I honestly just think it's easiest and quickest tabbing experience I've had.I guess I can understand that... I just kinda glossed over the first two of those since I always use keyboard shortcuts (ctrl-T for a new tab, ctrl-w to close a tab). The thumbnail view is certainly a neat feature though. Their handling of RSS is pretty decent as well.

disciple
06-13-2006, 02:06 PM
I like tabbed browsing. Saves me a little hassle in my mind, because my mind works like tabbed browsing does, oddly.

unshakeable15
06-19-2006, 05:52 PM
I guess I can understand that... I just kinda glossed over the first two of those since I always use keyboard shortcuts (ctrl-T for a new tab, ctrl-w to close a tab). The thumbnail view is certainly a neat feature though. Their handling of RSS is pretty decent as well.
(To go along with that, ctrl-Tab to switch between tabs.)

i'm certain i'll stick with firefox, since it took me forever to convince my dad to get that in the first place (it's his computer after all). Though it is good to hear that competition is doing Microsoft some good.

cloroxmartini
06-19-2006, 07:14 PM
IE 7 is great, I'm using it right now.

Pretendeavor
06-15-2007, 08:09 AM
So im trying out Safari for windows XP. Its preety fast on loading up pages.

riz
06-27-2007, 07:24 PM
Down with IE!!! Long live Firefox!!!

timmyrotter
06-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Down with IE!!! Long live Firefox!!!

AMAN! Mozilla4LIFE

zjf
06-28-2007, 08:08 AM
Mozilla has done wonderful things for the browser market. Firefox is wonderful on Windows, I've even converted my dad to Firefox at home, *AND* on his business laptop. Firefox isn't too great on OS X. It becomes a resource hog and kills even my quad core 2.66GHz Mac Pro. I prefer to use Camino or Safari on OS X personally. Camino is basically Firefox designed specifically for OS X, instead of being a port from linux, then from windows like FireFox is.

terrasin
06-28-2007, 11:36 AM
I just can't wait to see Google OS! :D

alorian
07-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Neither can I :P

timmyrotter
07-02-2007, 05:57 PM
google OS? for real?