raiken
06-15-2006, 11:31 AM
well, I've introduced myself in that other topic now it's time to begin posting.

question: which console do you think's going to come out on top in the end?

I personally prefer the 360 'cause as far as I'm concerned nothing else comes remotely close but whatever, I'm asking you guys.

terrasin
06-15-2006, 11:41 AM
I think the Wii will dominate. They have fresh concepts that will enhance gameplay. Plus, they have what looks to be by far the best looking games coming out.

CJ

disciple
06-15-2006, 12:00 PM
I think the Wii will dominate. They have fresh concepts that will enhance gameplay. Plus, they have what looks to be by far the best looking games coming out.

CJ
That, and it'll cost less than half of what the PS3 will cost, and could cost less than the 360. What Soccer Mom would spend $500+ on a PS3? :P

raiken
06-15-2006, 01:49 PM
sice when does it have better games? name me some stuff that can compare with gears of war? oblivion? and as far as cost goes... I'll give you that it does cost in best case for the 360 50$ less but there is also the controls are more of a problem IMO than anything. I mean, who'd want to sit in front of a console for 2 hours waving their arms around like a maniac? and what about multi player? you'd have to stand like four feet away from the nearest person otherwise you'd risk slapping the person next to you in the face.

animeraven34
06-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Oblivion is over rated. Legend of Zelda ring any bells? The next Super Smash Brothers? Besides, would you rather sit around on your butt for two hours in a stupor? I think "waving your arms around" and standing four feet away is a little bit over exaggerated. Besides, who wants to huddle together on a couch with all their gaming buddies? :-\ I'd prefer to have some space thank you.

raiken
06-15-2006, 06:58 PM
lol, zelda is over-rated if anything. I mean, how many zelda titles are there? like five billion? and what new and improved stuff has zelda broght? the only thing I see different about the new zelda is that it's on the wii. Of course I've never played it but I haven't heard anything good about it. oblivion on the other hand, uber smart AI, severly upgraded combat, on the note of combat, you can use magic AND hold a sword at the same time, great story line IMO and, who can forget the graphics?

disciple
06-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Don't form opinions about things that you don't play. :P

The big console Zelda games always bring out something fresh and new. Ocarina of Time is one of the best games ever made. Each game is made deeper than the last; even Majora's Mask fleshed out some of OoT's angles, though it could have been handled a little better (I liked the story a bit, though). Wind Waker... it was fresh and new, I give it that, but it was a bad game. *opinions people!*

The next Metroid Prime game is going to rock my socks off, though. Honestly. Have you even seen it in action? There is no "waving your arms around in the air" as you exaggerated. I watched the video, and even though you aim with the controller, you don't move your hand that much -- movements don't have to be full-body, though I'd probably prefer some movement.

Grr... it's too late for me to continue my train of thought now.

amodman
06-15-2006, 09:27 PM
If this thread turns into another, "That console's games are crap and/or overrated, these are awsome!" I swear I'll >:(...let you all know that opinions are opinions. You not liking the particular games a system has to offer doesn't mean it has no "good" games. The 360 is all we can even semi-neutrally judge since it's already out with several reviewed releases, and, guess what? It's has quite a number of hit (8-9/10 averaged) games so early in it's lifespan. You can say "You don't like it," but don't say, "It all sucks." It's ignorant, it's fanboyish, and all the like. We know nothing about the Wiivolution's games so far other than what they are (mostly sequels ::], whether you like that or not), and we know even less about most of the PS3s games (as in, actual quality, not heresay).

p.s. Not everyone wants the same gaming experiences. Me? I'm lazy. The wii sounds interesting, but it sounds like it'll get annoying as hell to when I just want to sit and relax and play a game. I don't know, I don't care. If I'm getting one, it'd just be for the back library, if the new games turn out to be awsome, that's just a +.

disciple
06-15-2006, 09:33 PM
"To each his own."

The online gaming communities don't understand that.

This is why it's called "Console war" and not "Console battle". Wars can be fought eternally and pointlessly, but battles end and at the end there is a victor. Thus, I would call this thread pointless, since I despise the "Console wars" forums that are all over the internet. They turn out to be "Flame Games" more often than not. It's all opinion.

m_money618
06-15-2006, 09:47 PM
360 is gonna beat all ya'll.

disciple
06-15-2006, 09:52 PM
::] How will it do that? What will it attain by "beating"?

zeroneff
06-16-2006, 04:40 AM
"over-rated " come on Zelda is better and did come first than microsoft only good game HALO..

skynes
06-16-2006, 05:39 AM
The X-Box looks like more of the same really. Same games with better graphics.
I'm not a fan of Microsoft myself, I use Windows, so I have good reason to hate them.

Wii looks like the top dog to me. I think the emulator alone gives it major points. No worries about not having good games to start with, cause you can just download some of the best old ones!

amodman
06-16-2006, 08:29 AM
"over-rated " come on Zelda is better and did come first than microsoft only good game HALO..

Yes, because MSoft made Halo...not to mention the 15 other games I own for my Xbox are trash, you are quite right. Sorry Skynes, I don't buy into this "not a fan of Msoft business." I judge each product by it's make, and there's plenty of things I enjoy made by Msoft, almost as many as I don't enjoy :P. And as I just stated above, Msoft itself hardly makes any games (though Mechassault was bundles of fun and I hear PGR3 got, like, all 9's and 10's :P). As long as it has the third party developer support I like, I'm happy. Lord knows there's plenty of games I'm pumped for playing when I finally get a 360 1+ years from now ::]. As for Wiivolution, the new Zelda looks fun...on my friend's gamecube. Added functionality on the new system gets a big 'meh' from me. Smash Bros. will probably be fun, as well. But Mario? ...I've hated 3d Mario since Mario 64. No thank you.

animeraven34
06-16-2006, 08:44 AM
oblivion on the other hand, uber smart AI, severly upgraded combat, on the note of combat, you can use magic AND hold a sword at the same time, great story line IMO and, who can forget the graphics?
::] Elder Scrolls games have always been way to freakin' huge for their own good. Takes twenty minutes just to put in your name. Having actully played Oblivion :P, I think it's way overrated. The AI wasn't "uber smart" as you put it. The combat STILL sucked. The story line just seemed like a rip off of several other things (Diablo, LOTR, etc.). You can use magic and hold a sword, wow! They've finally caught up with the rest of the world on that. And the textures and models didn't come up on a fairly regular basis, the result being bald, polygynal landscapes and characters. Yeah, those are some good old graphics.

I'd have to agree with skynes. Most of the 360 games (and PS3 for that matter) are just the same old stuff only they look better. And most of the ones that aren't, are just borrowing trends from other genres. I'll admit that Prey doesn't look like the same old stuff, but that's the only one so far.

disciple
06-16-2006, 10:52 AM
Yeah, the only PS3 game I am interested in following is Resistance: Fall of Man. I've seen what Insomniac can do with shooters -- the Ratchet & Clank series, probably one of the few shooter series not to disappoint me -- so I am wondering what they can do with a gory, serious shooter, and not a robotic (literally, it's full of robots) comedic shooter. This change might be a bit drastic for them, however, so I remain objective.

The 360... I agree, it looks like a pumped up XboX. Prey is the only game that looks original. I've watched the videos, and I can't wait to get a chance to play it.

The Wii... it breathes originality. I just like the idea so far because you can aim manually, with the controller. I mean, how cool is that? I've been getting sick of the control sticks for aiming, as a defective controller can mean the end of your shooting days. What I mean is, I get all the bad controllers in the world whenever I try to buy a new one, so walking backwards while I'm trying to snipe or my character turning up to face the sky is a bummer. ::] There are so many possibilities on the Wii, and I don't know why the narrow-minded fanboys can't see that. ::]

amodman
06-16-2006, 12:54 PM
::] Elder Scrolls games have always been way to freakin' huge for their own good. Takes twenty minutes just to put in your name. Having actully played Oblivion :P, I think it's way overrated. The AI wasn't "uber smart" as you put it. The combat STILL sucked. The story line just seemed like a rip off of several other things (Diablo, LOTR, etc.). You can use magic and hold a sword, wow! They've finally caught up with the rest of the world on that. And the textures and models didn't come up on a fairly regular basis, the result being bald, polygynal landscapes and characters. Yeah, those are some good old graphics.

I'd have to agree with skynes. Most of the 360 games (and PS3 for that matter) are just the same old stuff only they look better. And most of the ones that aren't, are just borrowing trends from other genres. I'll admit that Prey doesn't look like the same old stuff, but that's the only one so far.

It's funny that you mention Prey, when I've never even heard of it ::]. At least, not that I recall. I don't understand why you keep ripping on Oblivion. I already know it's a niche game, I'm surprised it's doing so amazingly well. Elder Scrolls 1-3 were niche to the extreme. I came in on Morrowind and, I kid you not, have logged a minimum of 100+ hours on it. They're extrememly fun when you enjoy the open-ended fantasy gameplay.

I'm finding these "innovation" arguments a 'tad dead and dry. Yes, nintendo's controller is new and innovative. I'd like to try it out myself, but I'm tentative about embracing it as a standard replacement. In any case, though, the controller is only one way a developer can "innovate." Notice 1up's recent list of overlooked* (*key word) classic gaming innovations - http://1up.com/do/feature?cId=3151392. Stuff we consider standard fair now-a-days, but you'd be surprised the amount of interesting things you could still potentially do, software-wise, that haven't been done before. PS3 & 360 are pumped up to the extremem to allow for max capability of physics, effects, etc. just as much as graphics. I like the Wiivolution's angle, but you have to admit by presence of fact that developers have a lot more freedom to try out different things, cutting-edge software-wise, with the power of the PS3/360. I doubt the current praise over Rockstar's Table Tennis physics engine could be done on the Wiivolution. It may only be ping-pong, but that's fact.

My current hype-o-meter of un-released games for the 360 include Bioshock, Gears of War, Too Human, Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Ninety-Nine Nights (so what if me and my friends enjoy mindless hack and slash action sometimes? The new fantasy setting peaks my interes more than the now-standard Chinese one...), Lost Planet, Dead Rising, and more (seriously, I just don't want to get monotonous...these are my tops). And, of course, massive Elder Scrolls geek that I am I'd love to land Oblivion as well as Fight Night (omg the demo was so much fun!), Call Of Duty, & DOA4. Will I ever actually be able to afford all this as well as a 360 not to mention have time to properly play it all? Eh...I dunno, but a boy can dream can't he? ;)

As far as Ps3 is concerned, my interests are in Heavenly Sword and Assasin's Creed. Heavenly Sword looks fun, but I'm sure Too Human and Ninety-Nine Nights would fill the gap for me. Assasin's Creed, however looks extremely cool. I literally pray that one goes multi-platform. Knowing Ubisoft, it probably will, but it may be the one Ps3 exclusive I'm green eyes jealous of (not $600 jealous of, mind you). The only thing that would wrack my very gaming soul is if they actually made the updated ff7 re-make...I would cry. Blue Dragon has all my classic rpg hopes now, though, being made by Sakaguchi (FF creator) and Toriyama along with tunes Uematsu. The new FFs for Ps3...I'm not so sure about. I feel like they've been ruining the series since X-2 and have been very dissapointed with the XI-esque gameplay for XII. If XIII doesn't shape up...well, I won't care, cause I won't have a Ps3, will I? Heh.

p.s. Obviously, my next-gen Wiivolution list doesn't hold a candle on my hype-o-meter to teh 360 one, but I'd still be interested in it for the backlog of Gcn, the virtual library classics being a +. Woo, Chrono Trigger! I re-iterate my hate for 3d Mario, but the DS has been keeping my Nintendo dreams alive. New Super Mario Bros. with Yoshi's Island 2, Children of Mana, FF III re-make, Starfox DS, (*maybe) Phantom Hourglass, etc., etc. down the line.

*maybe because I am not to pleased with this all stylus controlled bullcrap I've been hearing of. Hey, I like the touch screen n' all, but I'd much rather play a new portable zelda game with buttons, using the stylus for features maybe like the boomerange drawing and such. Not, well...everything, ick.

animeraven34
06-16-2006, 01:02 PM
I didn't know that explaining why I think it's over rated to some blind fanboy was 'ripping'.

Not my fault you've never heard of Prey.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/prey/index.html?q=prey

skynes
06-17-2006, 05:16 PM
Ok... to be more specific, I'm a techie, I work on a Helpdesk.
I deal with windows and windows 2003 daily...

You will learn to hate it and hate them.

Our servers are split in two, half run Unix, half Windows 2003.

I've yet to hear a problem on the Unix ones, the Windows ones go haywire every couple of weeks..

So I admit a strong bias AGAINST Microsoft, which includes the X-Box.

zeroneff
06-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Microsoft should spend more time debuging thair software and less time making games i mean $400. dollars on a xbox 360 and the only good game is halo and call of duty 2 wich was not publishid by microsoft

amodman
06-18-2006, 10:25 PM
Microsoft should spend more time debuging thair software and less time making games i mean $400. dollars on a xbox 360 and the only good game is halo and call of duty 2 wich was not publishid by microsoft

*looks at own previous posts*

*doesn't even care anymore*

disciple
06-19-2006, 09:23 AM

*looks at own previous posts*

*doesn't even care anymore*
...I think even I am with you there.

zeroneff
06-20-2006, 09:41 PM
sorry, but mine is shoter

Isildur9473
06-20-2006, 10:17 PM
I think we all know that Sony wins the prize. How many other game consoles are stations besides the Playstation? I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a station than some video game console.

zeroneff
06-21-2006, 07:16 AM
I kinda agree playstation is one of the best out there but nintedo is getting there. Zelda TP is thair first step to #1

disciple
06-21-2006, 09:57 AM
I think we all know that Sony wins the prize. How many other game consoles are stations besides the Playstation? I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a station than some video game console.
Definitely. It's Space Station #9 FTW.

amodman
06-22-2006, 01:45 AM
Definitely. It's Space Station #9 FTW.

Deep Space 9 FTW! Gosh, get you're sci-fi references down man...

disciple
06-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Deep Space 9 FTW! Gosh, get you're sci-fi references down man...
It was an obscure joke reference to Love Potion #9. :P Don't ask me how or why I've seen it before. :P