disciple
06-18-2006, 09:21 PM
I keep forgetting to put this thread up. I've been meaning to ask what everyone's input is on it. I'm forgetful.

I don't know what it means, probably because it's obvious. ::]

Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: "Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!"? These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.

-NIV

skynes
06-19-2006, 12:53 AM
It relating to Pharisitical laws.

No shopping on a Sunday, no TV on Sunday, day spent in prayer and reading.

Looks really fancy and holy, but Paul was saying there are some who do this for mans praise. This is false-humility. They do it for themselves and not for God. They look wise, they look holy, but they're not.

God never said - Do not shop on a Sunday.
It is some Christians who created that law and used scripture to support it.

disciple
06-19-2006, 09:26 AM
I see... I told ya, if it's obvious, I probably don't know the answer. >.<

unshakeable15
06-19-2006, 02:17 PM
No worries D, it wasn't obviously obvious. Of course, it looks obvious after hearing it, but that's just hindsight speaking.

disciple
06-19-2006, 02:53 PM
You're just trying to comfort me. Well, it's NOT WORKING!! :D

Sorry, I had to joke. I havent' told a joke in a few minutes, I was having withdrawls! :P

skynes
06-20-2006, 12:16 AM
The only reason I knew the answer, is because I know a bit more of Jewish culture and traditions than the average Christian... just a 'bit' more though.

disciple
06-20-2006, 10:08 AM
I knew that of the Jewish culture, I just didn't connect the dots because the context appeared differently to me.