asparagus
06-27-2006, 05:48 PM
I read what I thought for the most part was a very nice article tonight. So I'll share it. Enjoy. Jesus is not a Republican (http://chronicle.com/free/v52/i42/42b00601.htm)

Reeper
07-07-2006, 05:00 AM
::]

Wow I don't even know where to start. I just... how can... I can't believe... wow that's all I have to say is wow.

Peace

NightCrawler
07-08-2006, 08:38 PM
Well, it comes from a liberal perspective, are you a conservative? That is probably why it doesn't fully make sense.

Typically, liberals (or at least liberal democrats) take an approach that involves the intervention of goverment to take care of the needs of the poor. You may notice that the author takes a similar stance.

I, personally, hold to much more libertarian ideals. Such as the people (or in my case, the Church) caring for the poor -- and NOT the goverment.

Reeper
07-10-2006, 06:53 AM
I am conservative, and my comments weren't to the effect that I didn't understand what he was saying, they were addressing the shear buffoonery in the ideas presented. Anyway...

Peace

NightCrawler
07-10-2006, 08:03 AM
Mind elaborating? Find some place to start, random works fine. (it actually makes a discussion)

doormonkey
07-10-2006, 05:07 PM
On one single point in there I see something I agree with-the poor. How I see it: If we, the church, are not willing to actually pitch in and help the poor ourselves, as we are called to, then we **** well better not moan about paying for the government to do it.

On education: sorry, but I fail to see how trying to make schools accountable to actually teach something is a bad thing. Anyone knows we've been throwing money at the problem long enough, and the only results we've had are that public schools get worse and worse. Either fix the system (ie, accountability and rewards for schools that do well), or give people an option to escape the system (vouchers). Of course, a large part of our failing public school system is the fault of parents, but I won't get into that here...that is for another thread.