dawn of light
07-14-2006, 06:05 AM
I'm curious what kind of church everyone goes to. Stuff like denomination, size, preaching style, what it looks like, special programs/things going on...What kinds of things does your church stand for, how is your church viewed in your city or town, etc. Anything else that you'd like to mention...Do you LOVE your church? Wish is was different? Looking for a new church?...

soleil
07-14-2006, 07:14 AM
my church is a non-denominational church that has roots in the pentecostal style. it's one of the three biggest churches in the city, to my knowledge, and can hold approx. 700 people at fully capacity. It's because of this we have 4 sunday services: two am, one afternoon for the spanish, and an evening.

One of our major outreaches besides Alpha (which I think every church on earth does), is our Easter passion play. It's a 6 night show, and sells-out every time. This year we actually had to add overflow seating because we sold EVERY ticket.

"A musical play with scenes from the life of Jesus colourfully depicted with live animals, pyro, interpretive dance, a variety of musical styles, multimedia and special lighting effects."

you can view the trailer here. (http://www.smythestreetcathedral.com/Easter/promo_page/easter_promo.html)

our other main ministry is prison ministry. For years we've had a chaplaincy office in the building, but the guy moved last fall.

skilltroks
07-14-2006, 08:10 AM
ROFL. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Hill_Bible_Church)
Any questions?

disciple
07-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Answer: I don't go to church.

kasicalover
07-14-2006, 11:19 AM
ROFL. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Hill_Bible_Church)
Any questions?

:o :o :o You go to Rob Bell's church, thats so neat.

I totally am in love with my church. My churhc was planted jsut over a year ago and has a congragation of about 30 regulars. We currently hold church services in a local movie theater, but are looking at a few different buildings right now. All of the events that are church does are held around town because because we don't have our own building, so it's amazingly fun. We do bible study at our pastors house thursday nights, and youth group is held at our youth leaders hosue on mondays. It's a pretty great being able to know every single person in the congregation well. Then whenever new people come it's easy to get to know them because you already know everyone else. I love my church family.

church (http://www.lhcag.org)

aliengurl7
07-14-2006, 11:25 AM
Answer: I don't go to church.
You heathen! JK heh, I don't either. :D

disciple
07-14-2006, 11:34 AM
You heathen! JK heh, I don't either. :D
I RT EVILE!! :D ::]

dawn of light
07-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Oh I guess I should tell you guys about my church, since I asked the question!

I absolutely LOVE my church. I view my church much the same way Kasicalover does, they're my family although my church is much larger. I have many many acquaintances from church but of course my close friends are more important.

My church (Springs Church) is interdenominational. We have a few different locations as well. The main santuary holds about 2500 people and we have two services there every Sunday and a Wednesday service. There is a slightly smaller building across the parking lot that holds about 1100 people. We have a Saturday night service there for 18-30 year olds. It's great because everything is geared toward reaching out to young people, the music, ministry, etc. There is also youth group held there on Fridays for those still in high school.

My church also has an inner city location that helps people in need. They do some homeless and prostitute ministry as well as hold a large food bank every week. We also have locations in two smaller towns close to my city so people from there don't have to drive as far.

My church is mostly run by volunteers. Of course there is the core staff but it couldn't continue to hold so many programs and church services without the volunteers. I absolutely love volunteering at my church. At one time or another I've volunteered at so many things but right now I'm into Children's Ministry. I teach Sunday school to grade 1 and 2's. I also volunteer in the nursery. We take care of the 4 month to 1 year olds during church so the parents can enjoy the service. I do that every second week.

Sometimes my church will bring in different speakers from around the world also. I love listening to different people preach. I love listening to my pastor the most though.

I believe my church is the largest in Canada although I'm not sure.
http://www.springschurch.org/
hmmm. it's funny. for such a big church I don't think the website is very good, although is does have some good info.

I feel so blessed to be a part of my church team, I wouldn't give it up for the world. Even if God called me to leave and go somewhere else, I'd do it kicking and screaming! :P

I love hearing about everyone's churches, keep em coming!

theelectric3
07-14-2006, 12:01 PM
every weds. night i attend a Bible study held in a public park building, with about 12 or so in attendance, lead by a Cowboy evangelist and his wife. :) yes, a cowboy. the people who meet there... they're family. God has used this place to heal my heart from past wounds from church experiences... i love that Bible study group.
(my sisters and i lead worship as well, which is an honor.)

sunday morning my sisters and i have started attending a Calvary Chapel that is held in theatre (where live plays are performed). it's very cool. it's tiny for a calvary chapel, but the people we have met thus far are really nice and the pastor's heart for people, the Lord and worship is flat out beautiful.

sunday nights - every so often my sisters and i will make a 1 and 1/2 hour drive down to another Calvary Chapel. the evening service started out as a college group but then evolved into an evening service. we love going there as much as we can.

Undomiel
07-14-2006, 01:11 PM
i like my church. it's a Free Methodist church. really good music, drums, guitars, the whole service. the sermons are great, my pastor is great. i can't say i get along with all the kids there but other than that it's great.

terrasin
07-14-2006, 07:36 PM
I currently go to a Lutheran church in my town. It's a small church, about 75 people on any given sunday morning. It's a pretty traditional place, which is one of the reasons I prefer it over going to a non-denominational church. It's very strong in its roots and ministerial accountability. The only reason I attend is because we now have a pastor who is younger, very smart, open to new ideas, he gets all the information about something before making a decision on what he believes, and really wants to make some changes to make the church more interesting and involved.

CJ

pizza brain
07-14-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm at a community church with 2 services and about 300-400 attending every week. the youth group has like 20 some odd kids 7 in high school and the rest in jounior high. check the web site for more info http://graceindallas.org/

DustinRocks
07-14-2006, 11:21 PM
I go to Angelus Temple home of the Dream Center. Amazing church. Imovedfrom Memphis to L.A just to be there

dreamcenter.org
angelustemple.org

1nonlyjen
07-16-2006, 12:26 PM
I really like my church, its a Calvery Chapel in Chino Valley. We have roughly 7500 members including kids but thats just an estimate I heard. Its a great place for younger peaople cause my pastor is all for encouraging the younger crowd having had a rough time himself. Its pretty laid back with all the bikers, surfers and ex-hippies. There are a lot of goths there and people are cool with what your style is, theres no "how can you be a Christian if you look like that?" The ministery is really great and everyone is always very encouraging. Its non-denominational and we believe in teaching from the Word with no watering down or sugarcoating the Gospel.

drumchick101
07-18-2006, 11:15 AM
My church is called "The Father's House" because the pastor and his wife wanted a place for people to come and "get hugged." There's roughly 50 people on a Sunday morningand they have a policy of reaching out and bringing in the "messed up" people and loving/healing them (inside and out). I like that someone off the street will come in on a sunday morning and get blessed, and be so exited that they brings friends the next week. It's a "messy" church with motocycle vests, hawian shirts, suits, polo shirts, and those with only the clothes on their backs.

It's generally charismatic with it's highest value being freedom in God.

><sarah><

disciple
07-18-2006, 12:21 PM
A church with a focus on faith and not all on appearance, you say?

Never been to one. :o

Unregistered
07-18-2006, 12:34 PM
Cass, your generating hits for the website!!!

dawn of light
07-18-2006, 12:42 PM
Maybe you haven't been to the right ones then, Disciple. There are lot's of great church families out there that don't care what someone looks like.

disciple
07-18-2006, 01:04 PM
None of them are where I live. Perhaps when we move to Minnesota I can find a nice Lutheran one, maybe I'll get lucky and it'll have a cool pastor like CJ's. :P

dawn of light
07-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Well that's too bad, I hope you find a great church in Minnesota that you love. My church is a major part of my life with God and I can't imagine what I'd do without all the support and friends not to mention the amazing teaching I get there.

When are you moving to Minnesota? I live right above Minnesota, in Manitoba! (Minneapolis is about an eight hour drive for me.)

disciple
07-18-2006, 01:30 PM
I think we'd be moving up around Duluth/Twin Ports area, or maybe up by Two Harbors by my grandparents. There are LOADS of Lutheran churches up and down along that highway. :P

randompenguin
07-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Aww...hope you find one! It's such a blessing! My old church I absolutely hated, sounded like the one(s) you've been to. Our new one (don't know the denomination...Presbyterian I think?) is kinda small, but it's really cool because everybody knows everyone else, like a big community. Even if you don't know someone, you fell like you do. Our pastor is really good, because he has a really passionate delivery, but he tells jokes and stuff to illustrate points. It's not like sacrilige or anything, there's always a sort of worshipful atmosphere. My favorite things though is that everything he says is just...inspired. You can really feel the Spirit when you're there. It looks really conservative, but there's really no judgement or anything (once when the pastor was in Texas he sent us this quick video message, and he was talking in this terrible accent and he had this cowboy hat on...it was hilarious) On their sign thing it says "Alive, Real, Free" and I think that sums it up right there. :) That got kinda long, sorry. I love bragging on my church.

dawn of light
07-19-2006, 05:51 AM
Oh that's awesome, I love inspired pastors who are passionate about what they do. My pastor's favourite church descriptive word is life giving. He says that if our church isn't right for someone that's fine because he wants them to be happy but as long as they go to a life giving church. (there's nothing worse than walking into a church with the feeling that there's nothing happening there, just a dead church).

Duluth? Neat, that's not too far away from me. My boyfriend's sister lives in Thunder Bay, Ontario which is just four hours away from Duluth. We were planning on going to Duluth when we went to Thunder Bay but it didn't happen. Are you Lutheran? Is that why you're looking for a Lutheran church? Or do you just like those kind of churches?

Crazy4U
07-19-2006, 07:49 AM
i go to a church called "Mt.Olivet" it dosen't have any rules. um...its really cool. i have alot of friends there and than i also have enemys there! lol! so anywayz. i like my church its awesome my pastor JR is so cool!!! he is really funny and he loves kids. he's always joking around and stuff! anywayz. so yah. its cool!

disciple
07-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Duluth? Neat, that's not too far away from me. My boyfriend's sister lives in Thunder Bay, Ontario which is just four hours away from Duluth. We were planning on going to Duluth when we went to Thunder Bay but it didn't happen. Are you Lutheran? Is that why you're looking for a Lutheran church? Or do you just like those kind of churches?
Yeah, Two Harbors is about 30 minutes North of Duluth, about 21 miles, I think, it's on the road down if you're driving on the highway next to the lake. It's a beautiful place, really, the lake is just gorgeous.

Nope, I have no denomination, but there seem to be only Catholic and Lutheran, maybe one or two of denominations I wasn't comfortable with, but I'd heard good things about Lutheran from CJ, so I thought it'd be a good place to start.

DustinRocks
07-19-2006, 01:34 PM
The main thing I love about my Church. It shows faith in action. We have over 250 ministries reaching everyone from homeless to middle class to even celebreties. Everyone is fed in one way or another spiritually or physically. We do outreach at least 100 times a week to the inner city. Plus every year we expand. The church really has the heart for inner city L.A.

On another note It is very modern but the word always has a salvation message it never slows down. You can not get bored in service. Our Pastor is just so excited about reaching people for Christ. The music and our productions may seem Hollywood but thats where we are.

drumchick101
07-19-2006, 08:53 PM
Nope, I have no denomination, but there seem to be only Catholic and Lutheran, maybe one or two of denominations I wasn't comfortable with, but I'd heard good things about Lutheran from CJ, so I thought it'd be a good place to start.

To me, it's not about denomination, it's about heart. But I know what you mean.

><sarah><

alorian
07-19-2006, 09:04 PM
I don't go to church... often. My church consists of a majority of my friends meeting in various places at various times :P
I DO "attend" one "church" every once in a while... great while, because my dad plays one the worship team there, but I don't go often at all. I disagree with some major tenants of theirs.

disciple
07-19-2006, 09:42 PM
To me, it's not about denomination, it's about heart. But I know what you mean.

><sarah><
If you think I meant, "I'm trying to find a church up there with a denomination that doesn't disagree with my faith," then you'd be correct. :P

dawn of light
07-21-2006, 09:44 AM
I love how my church is "inter-denominational". Some non-denominational churches really push people to give up their denomination but our church doesn't. You can still be Catholic, Lutheran, Protestant, etc. and go to our church. At the same time if you grew up un-churched (like I did, I don't come from a Christian family) I still feel welcome there. I don't feel like I have to become a certain denomination to be a part of the church.

Sarah, you're completely right. It's all about heart.

drumchick101
07-21-2006, 10:58 AM
If you think I meant, "I'm trying to find a church up there with a denomination that doesn't disagree with my faith," then you'd be correct. :P

Ya, and that's much easier said than done.

><sarah><

disciple
07-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Ya, and that's much easier said than done.

><sarah><
Well, when we move up there... plenty of churches, and plenty of Sundays to go. ;)

kasicalover
07-21-2006, 02:42 PM
My church recently started looking for a building and we're pretty sure we've found the building that God wants us in. I'm extremely excited. We won't have get up early to set up a sound system every sunday, and we won't have to cram a congregation into my pastors basement for bible study anymore.

Jesus freak_14
07-22-2006, 01:16 PM
Hmmm... my church sounds just like that. We have our church service in a high school auditorium, but now they're turning the auditorium into classrooms and we have to be out of there before school starts again. So we've been looking for a building but haven't had any luck. But yeah, that sounds very familiar, everyone having to set up a sound system every morning. :)

1nonlyjen
07-23-2006, 02:18 PM
yet another reason why I love my pastor: he spoke this morning about the importance of builing your life on the firm foundation of Christ, he quoted the Casting Crown song American Dream. I love that he listens to and doesn't judge contemperary christian music. So many "christians" judge music or don't allow certian kinds in their church.

dawn of light
07-24-2006, 05:54 AM
Kasicalover and Jesus Freak 14...Our church is the same way!! We used to rent a country club for Sunday and Wednesday services. Now we have our own building(s) but the main one doubles as our churches private Christian elementary school. Every Sunday (except summer) at the end of the services we have to stack the chairs, roll up the carpets, pull out the dividing curtains and bam! it becomes the schools gyms. The sunday school classrooms double for the school classrooms. But hey...the building is pretty big so it's good that we get so much use out of it (7 days a week!)

drumchick101
07-24-2006, 10:05 AM
yet another reason why I love my pastor: he spoke this morning about the importance of builing your life on the firm foundation of Christ, he quoted the Casting Crown song American Dream. I love that he listens to and doesn't judge contemperary christian music. So many "christians" judge music or don't allow certian kinds in their church.

My pastor's a very simple guy and although he hates metal and any type of harder rock he doesn't judge it, he just hates to even almost listen to it, ever. However, we were remoldeling our church because they had just bought this new building anf it needed a lot of work. So my youth leader was working on the ceailing in my pastor's office and since my pastor usually has music playing in his office, my youth leader decided to use the cd player to listen to demon hunter while he was working. After he was done, he forgot to change the music so when my pastor waslked in the next morning he nearly fell over (note: my pastor's not really old, he's only in his mid fourties).

I guess you would have to know him for it to be funny, but I thought that was great (all in good humor, of course ;)).

><sarah><

bob
08-08-2006, 09:33 AM
My Church's building isn't important. The only thing that's important is the congregation, the building doesn't make the church, the people do. My church has great people, that's why I love it so much.

dawn of light
08-09-2006, 08:10 AM
Oh I agree bob. Sometimes my pastor will say "the church is the people, the building is the barn". It doesn't matter where we go, it's the church family that makes it important.

skilltroks
08-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Another reason my pastor is cool: He listen to the British band 'Blur'. Anyway, I went to the hip-hop service at Lawndale Community Church in S. Lawndale, IL. S. Lawndale is very African American therefore the service suits their culture. It was a experience, and pretty cool to know that no matter how you praise/worship (in a postive way) we all serve one God.

kasicalover
08-19-2006, 10:30 AM
My Church's building isn't important. The only thing that's important is the congregation, the building doesn't make the church, the people do. My church has great people, that's why I love it so much.

I agree that the people make the church, but you also sometimes need a building. If you come from a church that has a building you probably take for granted the fact that you can start sunday service whenever you feel like it, or youth group, worship teams, bible studies, hangouts, outreaches, fundraisers. We dont' have the freedom or ability to create certain ministries because we have no place to hold things other than in our homes. The people are the strongest and most meaningful part of church, but it's still nice to have a place to make things happen.

bob
08-20-2006, 02:30 AM
The people are the strongest and most meaningful part of church, but it's still nice to have a place to make things happen.

Well naturally. But I just feel that sometimes too much emphasis is put onto the building.

dawn of light
08-21-2006, 06:39 AM
Well naturally. But I just feel that sometimes too much emphasis is put onto the building.

Can we have an example?

Luvnoswin2sayno
09-12-2006, 07:14 PM
My church is full of warm and loving people. the senior pastor is like 30, and is very moving. we have no FULL TIME youth pastor, we have Natalie who is an associates pastor, who is pretty much the full time youth pastor. the youth group got smaller after the class of 2006 left.

BarlowgIRL
09-12-2006, 07:24 PM
I despise my church, love a handful of people(adults who care about me), and want to get involved more but my whole life have been pushed away which is why I despise it. And we're gonna have a Christmas musical but the leads don't sing, the choir does. ANd I can't convince the lady that in order to call it a musical the actors have to sing too! She won't let me go out for the cow either! She says I have to have a speaking role cause I'm so good. SO she's making me be Mary but I don't wanna be engaged to an ugly twelve year old....

Oh yeah, We're kinda small...

rkcguitar
09-12-2006, 09:42 PM
My church is awesome. I would explain it, but we have a website so it'll do a better job than me, lol.
www.highpraises.org

alorian
09-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Yay for a dash of legalism and a sprinkle of irresponsible tongues! :D

I don't consider myself belonging to a church actually.

DustinRocks
09-19-2006, 04:28 PM
I despise my church, love a handful of people(adults who care about me), and want to get involved more but my whole life have been pushed away which is why I despise it. And we're gonna have a Christmas musical but the leads don't sing, the choir does. ANd I can't convince the lady that in order to call it a musical the actors have to sing too! She won't let me go out for the cow either! She says I have to have a speaking role cause I'm so good. SO she's making me be Mary but I don't wanna be engaged to an ugly twelve year old....

Oh yeah, We're kinda small...

Just advice but neverspeakagainst a person in leadership. If you were suppossed to be n charge God would ut you there. He's God he can do that.

dawn of light
10-30-2006, 12:02 PM
I come to respect my Pastor more all the time. We have a pastor's conference every year at our church and bring in different people to speak. This year we had Tommy Barnett, Willie George, and Reinhard Bonke. In the past we've had John Burns, Casey Treat, Joseph Garlington, Jack Whitesell and others. Many of these great pastors will even come to the conference even if they're not asked to speak that year.

There is a verse our pastor quotes a lot "give honour to whom honour is due". So this year he took 15 minutes to honour Jack Whitesell on his 80th birthday in front of everyone because of the influence he's had on our pastor and on our church. He talked about what a great man Jack Whitesell is and how much advice he's given, etc.

I really respect that fact that our pastor is humble enough to give so much credit to other people. And I respect him because he's so dedicated to helping other pastors and taking advice from other pastors. He really cares about other churches and wants to help them win more people for Christ. I'm so glad that instead of making it "competition" like (who can have the biggest church??) he recognizes that we're all part of the body of Christ and people are called to different churches. He wants other churches to grow just as much as he wants our church to grow. I love how I can learn from him from his example as well as his words.

kittygirl
10-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Just advice but neverspeakagainst a person in leadership. If you were suppossed to be n charge God would ut you there. He's God he can do that.

(not everyone who's in leadership God has called to be a leader. Some people just think that's their calling, because they want to be in charge, so she could be right.)

Anyways...my church, my church is crazy. But it's balanced. I have never been to a church before where they just talked about Jesus, and made Him their focus. Alot of others, they talk about Jesus like He's not a person, when He really is. And He loves us more than we even know.

www.grandriverchurch.org

skilletfreak101
10-30-2006, 02:03 PM
my church is a non-demoniational church. we are actually merging with another church and next sunday will be the first service as one. it's going to be paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacked!!

breakthesilence
11-01-2006, 10:03 AM
i LOVE my church.
actually i just started going to it lol. but i've been looking for a new home church for awhile now since my dad won't let me go to the one i had been going to but i never considered it relaly my home church anyhow. so my friend had to stop at her church to borrow a keyboard and she was showing me around and i just felt God speaking to me that i should go there on sunday. so i did. and it was AMAZING!!!!!!! i absolutely loved it. the worship was absolutely amazing, it was so intense and so awesome!!! it was long too, which was great. and then the message, wow it was even more awesome. i have never heard a message that good, that relevant. the guy, who is from britain & has an accent which made it even more interesting, who was talking (they don't have a pastor, they have elders & deacons like the new testament churches which is super cool) was talking about being IN LOVE with jesus, not JUST loving Him like so many people tend to do and even think is how we are supposed to live. needless to say, God changed my life (again!!) on Sunday. it was absolutely amazing. and i just felt like i really belonged there. i've never felt like i've belonged anywhere. it was awesome. so i go there now. and haha this is a part that makes me laugh-it's skillet's church. but yeah now i can see why it is they are such an awesome band and have such a passion for God!! but yeah. i absolutely love my church cause i know that's where God wants me to be.

BarlowgIRL
11-01-2006, 04:32 PM

I didn't speak against. She's one of the adults that are my friends so I told her that a musical has singing and this is just a drama(crappy at that, didn't tell her that one)with a choir. She said that it's for the kids so it doesn't count. And She put me as the cow! YAY! ANd also if I know more than she does in an area it's not a crime to further her knowledge so she can do it better next time.

newday_7
11-04-2006, 10:20 PM
i love ym church, yes we have a bunch of problems, but it's like my other home, and i love so much of the people there. It's nice heh we have a website as well http://www.edmonton1stchurch.com/

alien_youth2005
11-13-2006, 06:29 PM
Mine is a small to medium sized non-denemonational church.

as~i~lay~dying
11-13-2006, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't say I love my church ... but the people are very nice, although quite closed minded which is frusterating. It is non-denominational and about 110 people.