Tanel
07-27-2006, 03:41 AM
The best artist out there! Any of you listening to his music?
http://www.myspace.com/johnreuben
http://www.purevolume.com/johnreuben

NightCrawler
07-27-2006, 10:24 AM
Um, no. And for good reason ;)

pizza brain
07-27-2006, 11:48 AM
He's got some good songs :)

theelectric3
07-27-2006, 03:42 PM
i'm not into rap. but he is one funny guy. great stage presence. always makes me laugh.

and he kinda looks like my uncle... which i find amusing. :P

m_money618
07-28-2006, 09:40 PM
his best song is 'Run the nite'. it always helps me fall asleep.

Tanel
08-03-2006, 06:11 AM
Um, no. And for good reason ;)

And that would be?

Undomiel
08-03-2006, 12:32 PM
i'm gonna see him in concert this coming tuesday @ Kingdom Bound. i like his music.

as~i~lay~dying
08-06-2006, 01:07 PM
He's... funny ... but I personally think his music is kinda stupid ... not real ... I mean he raps about mountain dew! I prefer a more mature style of music ...

TheFireBreathes
08-06-2006, 07:21 PM
I think KJ-52 also rapped about mountain dew :]

Tanel
08-08-2006, 04:08 AM
He's... funny ... but I personally think his music is kinda stupid ... not real ... I mean he raps about mountain dew! I prefer a more mature style of music ...

I think you are mistaking John with KJ-52. Check out Johns latest albums lyrics and tell me they are stupid! Reu brings up topics that many christian artists don't have the guts to talk about. http://www.jesusfreakhideout.com/lyrics/new/title.asp?title_id=50

Specially "Cooperate", "What About Them?" and "Chapter 1"

insane
08-10-2006, 12:36 AM
haha yeah, havent listened to that dude before.. umm.. he's funny! lol. Im not really into rap...

Tanel
08-16-2006, 02:22 AM
Wait a sec. Terje! This is an Estonian name and your profile sais that yuo are from Estonia. Well, who are you? Are you the girl from Hiiumaa?

SvenEkz017
08-20-2006, 01:19 AM

Maturity is a matter of perspective. But I must agree, John Reu has the depth of a saskatchewan mud puddle.

Tanel
01-18-2007, 06:50 AM
Yeah he will have a new album out on Feb. 6th and he has made a new birthday video :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgIFQcKCJ1o&eurl=#

http://www.johnreuben.com/

Tanel
02-01-2007, 04:45 PM
You can listen to his new stuff on his MySpace http://www.myspace.com/johnreuben

Tanel
02-14-2007, 01:08 PM
You can watch the music video for his new single "Word of Mouth" from Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAjyce9thMk

#1Grandma
02-14-2007, 09:39 PM
I really like the concept in the video. And I love "More Money". The banjo is just weird enough to be amazing. : )

DarkestRose
02-17-2007, 01:49 PM
I saw his video for "Move" and it was really weird, in a bad movie kinda way, sort of amusing. My sister and I showed one of our stepsisters because she's a cheerleader. She thought it was pretty funny. I don't normally like rap/hip-hop though.

#1Grandma
02-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Dude! "Move" is one of my favorite music videos ever! But, we are all entitled to our own opinion I suppose. : )

DarkestRose
02-18-2007, 09:28 PM
I don’t mean that I didn’t like it. It was just sort of weirdly interesting is all.

Tanel
03-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Ohh, he just knows how to make you laugh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jJOsTe9Rlg Johns bio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87u9rr2UV3k "music video" for Trying Too Hard

AgainstTheTide
04-08-2007, 03:01 PM
i'm not really tight with his anti-republican/conservative lyrics....

DarkestRose
04-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Which lyrics are those? I probably could look them up, but I wouldn't know where to start.

AgainstTheTide
04-08-2007, 03:20 PM
from the song "follow your leader".....

Conservative uptight right wing republican
Last time I checked I was none of them
But that’s the brush you want to paint me with taint me with
Some aim to please but you aim and miss
ADD maybe, but I can’t tune you out
I would change the station but your signal's too loud
And you’re too proud to realize you’re a moron
Defend what you want whether it’s right or wrong
And this applies to both sides of the equation
Arrogant men in power sure are frustrating
On a pedestal you hear them ranting and raving
Proudly proclaiming what they know nothing about
I hear you talking loud but I will not allow
Tinsel Town to show me how to run my life
Sure you can sing and dance
But that don’t mean that you’re qualified to give America advice

DarkestRose
04-08-2007, 03:28 PM
I feel like it would be easier to conceptualize about his opinions if they weren't written in the form of a hip-hop song...lol. I really feel that if I understood his views about what he dislikes about the conservative movement or Republican party, I could make a definite opinion.

From this song, I can really only get that he isn't for the right-wing section of politics. I find that I agree with some views of the conservative party and disagree with others. So I would need to know where he stands on issues to feel a certain way.

But I don't like it when people diss on one political party without at least stating their reasons for it, and this song comes off (to me) as simply stating that right-wingers are morons, which really turns me off because it feels like the typical insult battles of politics instead of an opening to seriously think about political issues in an intelligent manner.

AgainstTheTide
04-08-2007, 03:57 PM
it kinda pisses me off....lol

unshakeable15
04-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Actually, i didn't see anywhere in that song where he bashes anyone except people who group Christians (or groups) into political viewpoints. ("Conservative uptight right wing republican / Last time I checked I was none of them") He doesn't fit in the stereotypical Christian political party, so he is ranting against those who place him there.

If he's aiming at anyone, it's at Hollywood, ("I hear you talking loud but I will not allow / Tinsel Town to show me how to run my life").

DarkestRose
04-08-2007, 04:35 PM
I think the quote about the right-wing did go longer than that(Conservative uptight right wing republican/Last time I checked I was none of them/But that’s the brush you want to paint me with taint me with /Some aim to please but you aim and miss /ADD maybe, but I can’t tune you out /I would change the station but your signal's too loud /And you’re too proud to realize you’re a moron /Defend what you want whether it’s right or wrong)

But then he switched to talking about Hollywood. I suppose he might be trying to state that, while he doesn't fit the right-wing-Christian stereotype, he isn't fitting into the liberal Hollywood stereotype either. I don't know.

Still wish that he'd state his opinion on either target, however because it still carries the impression of "drive-by" insulting to me. I feel like one can state that they do not fit either stereotype without needlessly insulting people in the process.

AgainstTheTide
04-08-2007, 04:38 PM
still, personal politics should stay out of christian rap.

DarkestRose
04-08-2007, 04:40 PM
I don't mind politics in Christian media: books, art, music, movies, or any other form. But I would rather hear about the issue and how the person views it from a Biblical perspective than hear them bashing any particular group of peoples.

unshakeable15
04-08-2007, 04:42 PM
I think the quote about the right-wing did go longer than that(Conservative uptight right wing republican/Last time I checked I was none of them/But thatís the brush you want to paint me with taint me with /Some aim to please but you aim and miss /ADD maybe, but I canít tune you out /I would change the station but your signal's too loud /And youíre too proud to realize youíre a moron /Defend what you want whether itís right or wrong)

But then he switched to talking about Hollywood. I suppose he might be trying to state that, while he doesn't fit the right-wing-Christian stereotype, he isn't fitting into the liberal Hollywood stereotype either. I don't know.

Still wish that he'd state his opinion on either target, however because it still carries the impression of "drive-by" insulting to me. I feel like one can state that they do not fit either stereotype without needlessly insulting people in the process.
I still don't see how he's insulting the Christian-right. Instead, he's saying he doesn't fit that. The line's after ("Some aim to please but you aim and miss" and beyond) are talking about those who stick him in the same category as the Christian-right. He's not talking about the political faction in those lines. You don't switch pronouns (i.e. I, he, she, it) from one person or group to another person or group in the middle of a rap (poem, paragraph) without saying that new groups name, which he doesn't.

DarkestRose
04-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Who is he aiming at in the line "you're too proud to realize you're a moron" though? That was the line that actually confused me.

unshakeable15
04-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Conservative uptight right wing republican
Last time I checked I was none of them
But thatís the brush you want to paint me with taint me with
This is where he directs his rant, people who paint him as listed in the first line.

Some aim to please but you aim and miss
ADD maybe, but I canít tune you out
I would change the station but your signal's too loud
And youíre too proud to realize youíre a moron
Defend what you want whether itís right or wrong
And this applies to both sides of the equation
Still talking about the same people.

Arrogant men in power sure are frustrating
On a pedestal you hear them ranting and raving
Proudly proclaiming what they know nothing about
Here he switches his aim to people who rant and rave from their positions of power...

I hear you talking loud but I will not allow
Tinsel Town to show me how to run my life
Sure you can sing and dance
But that donít mean that youíre qualified to give America advice
Specifically, people in Hollywood.

AgainstTheTide
04-09-2007, 09:57 AM
but i'm in a "Conservative uptight right wing republican" family, so that makes me pretty upset.....i don't care who he is directing the comment to. i'll make sure i don't listen to that eminem-wannabe anymore.....:(

HogeyTheBear
04-09-2007, 10:08 AM
BAH-HUMBUG!!! His lyric offend me because he didnt name names!

Really though mate I would not liste nto his "music" anyway, its not my type.

AgainstTheTide
04-09-2007, 04:09 PM
what???

DarkestRose
04-09-2007, 04:38 PM
what???

Don't worry about it. As a rule, taunting messages from unregistered people are unimportnat.

AgainstTheTide
04-09-2007, 06:00 PM
thanks

Tanel
04-12-2007, 01:39 PM
i'll make sure i don't listen to that eminem-wannabe anymore.....:(

Let me get this strait. You are saying that you are offended by the fact that he doesn't agree with you. And yet you yourself hit him hard by calling him an "eminem-wannabe"!? And overall the song you are talking about sounds nothing like Eminem and his new album is a totally different direction.

DarkestRose
04-12-2007, 01:42 PM
I don't think he was really offended. My perception was that he was picking on AgainstTheTide for feeling offended. I think the poster just wanted to cause a fight.

HogeyTheBear
04-12-2007, 01:45 PM
I don't think he was really offended. My perception was that he was picking on AgainstTheTide for feeling offended. I think the poster just wanted to cause a fight.

I think I'll be clear here. No picking a fight was intended. If my sense of humor was too coarse, fine.

Tanel
04-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Actually I quoted AgainstTheTide and directed my post to him.

DarkestRose
04-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Oh, I see. My bad.

Tanel
04-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Ok so you want to know what John Reuben says about this? Just read on!

# JFH: Tell a little about the song "Follow Your Leader."

John Reuben: "Follow Your Leader" was inspired by the media and people who get their information from media of any kind. Whether it be Christian media or liberal media, and doing what it said or buying into its "propaganda," I guess. I think it came around the time of the election and I was just really blown away with how people didn't think for themselves a lot of times, or they didn't take the time to really put themselves in other people's shoes. They just kind of picked a side and followed their leader. And I mean that literally on both sides. So I think it was just the arrogance and being a little frustrated at the power of persuasion that the people can have who are in that position and not being responsible with that position.

quote token from http://www.jesusfreakhideout.com/interviews/JohnReuben2.asp

alorian
04-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Do not tell me what I can and cannot do when I rock.

BAH-HUMBUG!!! His lyric offend me because he didnt name names!

Sir Hogey-bear's posts are quite good in my opinion, I like em :P

DarkestRose
04-12-2007, 08:47 PM
And I would probably agree with that analysis. People in positions of power are in a better position to widely express their opinion, and do have the potentital to abuse that power.

Politics can be a pretty biased though, which is why I won't associate myself as conservative/liberal or whatever. I don't think I fit into one side neatly. And I don't like the sort of group mentality that political sides can come to.

Except for the last verses concerning Hollywood, however, I didn't get any of this from his song.