skilletosis
08-17-2006, 10:21 AM
This Sunday night on Fox News/check your local times, during prime time hours Rick Warren will be on David Asmans show. Pastor Rick was just on Dayside and he was right on. He definately had the host doing some serious thinking as well as audience members. He was answering questions on God's will and why bad things happen and had a very fresh way of answering. In fact I know the answers to these questions but he just presented them in a way that made sense.

So I'm going to order The Purpose Driven Life on cd. Because in all honesty I hate reading. In fact I think I need to go ahead and order the bible on cd also. If any of you already have a good bible on cd (you know you like the oration of it) I'd like some recomendations as they can be expensive.

unshakeable15
08-17-2006, 10:41 AM
i know there is a James Earl Jones version. But on CD, i don't know if it is. i've just seen it on cassette (and it's old so it might not be on CD).

TheFireBreathes
08-17-2006, 11:10 AM
You can also get a book on it. I think I have it.

terrasin
08-17-2006, 11:24 AM
i know there is a James Earl Jones version. But on CD, i don't know if it is. i've just seen it on cassette (and it's old so it might not be on CD).
I think I've seen it on CD, but only the OT. I would really like to get a listen to that.

As for The Purpose Driven Life... it's one of those books that was given to me and now sits in my "I need to find time to take this book outside and burn it" pile. The whole book was based on opinion of the author and has turned into just another one of those Christian fads. It's right up there with Love Languages and Jabez. Just my opinion though. ;)

(Though I regularly get slapped by Buggy when I tell her I'm going to write a book called The Purpose Driven Wife. ;))

CJ

dawn of light
08-17-2006, 11:44 AM
It's right up there with Love Languages and Jabez. Just my opinion though.

hm. I really liked Love Languages. The lingo is definitely a fad, but I think that the principles really work. (I've learned a lot about the way I recieve love and that it might not necessarily be the same way someone close to me recieves love.) Sorry off topic.

I haven't read The Purpose Driven Life yet but I've been meaning to. I've heard many good things about it.

alorian
08-17-2006, 02:03 PM
As for The Purpose Driven Life... it's one of those books that was given to me and now sits in my "I need to find time to take this book outside and burn it" pile. The whole book was based on opinion of the author and has turned into just another one of those Christian fads.

Amen. If you do read it, look up every verse he mentions and read the verses around it and this will become clear to you.

dawn of light
08-18-2006, 05:25 AM
Amen. If you do read it, look up every verse he mentions and read the verses around it and this will become clear to you.

To really study a book that's what you should do anyway. Unless you know and trust the author I don't feel that I need to look up every single verse. I've never read anything by Rick Warren so I really have no idea if his ideas are Biblical or not.

unshakeable15
08-20-2006, 12:14 PM
Just be ready to get a finger workout if you do look up each verse. He likes to use at least 5 a page.

theelectric3
08-29-2006, 05:16 PM
my sister read it and it didn't do anything for her. i heard from a friend that some churches preach from the Purpose Driven Life and not the Bible... which is messed up.

(obviously Rick Warren doesn't approve of that, but it's just sad how people will take opinion over the Word of God...)

lamb_servant72
08-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Some of my friends went through the book together. I tried to read it. I don't even remember how far I got...I just couldn't get into it.

skynes
08-30-2006, 07:03 AM
I've heard mixed reports of the book, mostly good funnily enough.

I'll try and get my hands on a copy to read for myself.