timmyrotter
08-17-2006, 11:17 AM
oil prices hae just fallen below 71$ per barrel. that is the lowest since April. but its still way too high.

terrasin
08-17-2006, 11:30 AM
It's funny, I found a recipt recently from gas I got back in 2002 while in Wyoming. $1.16/gal. I use to whine when it took me $25-$30 to fill my trucks gas tank and here I spend $55-$60 now each time.

I think the thing that bothers me is that the oil companies have been slowly gouging us and the US government has done nothing to stop them from doing so. We need gas and oil to live at this point in time. There is really no way around it. It takes us places, heats our homes, cooks our meals, cuts our grass... New technology is too far away and we aren't spending enough money on it to keep the process going at a good speed. In the meantime, gas companies make record profits every quarter from us because there is no way around it. In a sense, they have become the new mafia. We either pay them, or our lives become very difficult.

I seriously wonder how these people can sleep at night.

CJ

alorian
08-17-2006, 02:08 PM
They use their money to buy sleeping pills. Strong sleeping pills.

TheFireBreathes
08-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Anyone heard about the Advanced Energy Initiative?

timmyrotter
08-17-2006, 02:43 PM
yeah it seems like they raise the prices to a point where everyone is about to riot, then they ease off to appease the people. and we buy it, even though its much higher than it was a year ago, at least its cheaper than a week ago... thats Americas mindset. i even drive past a gas station that is RELATIVELY cheap and think, man thats cheap. but 2.80$ a gallon isnt cheap. i remember before i could drive, it was .99 cents a gallon for awhile.

another thing that gets me is oil futures, when people sitt there and bid prices up accorind to the news. dispute with Iran, up 2$ per barrel. next day, tensions ease down 1$ per barrel, that has been the trend. there hasnt been any supply disruption in Iran or Saudi arabia. we have Traq for goodness
sake, where is all the oil? and why isnt Bush doing anything about it. to busy fighting terror? thats a war that will never be won.

disciple
08-17-2006, 04:11 PM
They use their money to buy sleeping pills. Strong sleeping pills.
Yeah, I was gonna say :P Lunesta. ;)

terrasin
08-17-2006, 05:16 PM
One of the major problems is that we need to stop depending on foreign oil. I don't know how many times people need to say this before the government restricts importing oil products into this country. We have the oil fields in Alaska which need to be maintained, we have oil fields in the north west US that are tapped but not being pumped. We have possibably the largest shale oil field on the planet which they should be putting money into coming up with more economical ways to produce and refine it, and then there is the possibility of having the biggest oil field in the world under the rocky mountains which, they say, contains between two to four TRILLION gallons of oil... There are other options that would drastically lower the cost of oil for the country that aren't being used for one simple reason:

GREED

CJ

NightCrawler
08-18-2006, 07:49 AM
Maybe we should just let the prices get so high that we find an alternate fuel?

terrasin
08-18-2006, 09:52 AM
The problem with that is most people will pay it even if it gets to $10 a gallon because they either have to in order to get to work or that they will do what they have been doing: complaining but doing nothing to stop it.

CJ

disciple
08-18-2006, 11:54 AM
or that they will do what they have been doing: complaining but doing nothing to stop it.

CJ
Reminds me of WoW players on the messageboards. ;)

NightCrawler
08-18-2006, 02:35 PM
Rofl. ....

john316
08-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Ours dropped 10 cents this weekend.*dances*(sarcasm)...but not to worry I am sure that there soon will be a (insert stupid excuse here,ie...tropical storms,broken oil lines,or some Arab gets the flu etc.) that will make investors so nervous that they will have to run up the prices even higher then before.

love~addict
08-19-2006, 11:53 PM
lol..haha nice examples lol...i think the gas is going back up here...my mom had gone to get gas one morning and it was $2.73{i think..or 3.73..cant member which one..but}and she went back that evening and it was $2.79{or 3.79..either way u get my point}its ridiculous!!!

NightCrawler
08-21-2006, 06:13 AM
It is 2.89(9) here this morning.

skynes
08-21-2006, 07:56 AM
One gallon of petrol (or gas if you will) here is around $7

kasicalover
08-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Gas is at $3.12 today. Chicagoland supposedly has the highest prices in the country.

terrasin
08-21-2006, 01:50 PM
One gallon of petrol (or gas if you will) here is around $7
But it's also true that the majority of people in Europe don't do the daily amount of travel that Americans do, either. I'm sure there are exceptions, as there are to everything, but this is more of a generality.

Also from what I've seen, you have more economical cars there than people have here. God forbid a soccer mom not have a Hummer or some big, gas munching SUV.

CJ

riz
08-21-2006, 03:04 PM
If you all want some cheap gasoline, come to Ohio. Our prices have plummeted down to under, that's right UNDER, $2.60. I did a double-take as I passed by 2.59 gas today on my way home...

love~addict
08-21-2006, 07:02 PM
i think gas today was 2.68...getting better but not a whole lot...wats the lowest u guys think it'll get??

skynes
08-22-2006, 12:24 AM
But it's also true that the majority of people in Europe don't do the daily amount of travel that Americans do, either. I'm sure there are exceptions, as there are to everything, but this is more of a generality.

Also from what I've seen, you have more economical cars there than people have here. God forbid a soccer mom not have a Hummer or some big, gas munching SUV.

CJ

Do you think maybe that's why the cars are designed to be more economical and why people don't travel the amount Americans do? Cause the fuel is so stupidly high priced?

Without tax a gallon of petrol here is CHEAPER than anywhere in the USA. You're talking around the $1.50 mark or under. (my best guess)

The rest of the price is all taxes, taxes and even more taxes.
Then there's the extra dollar or so added on because they need to ship the fuel from mainland UK over to Ireland (or so they say)

terrasin
08-22-2006, 03:02 AM
Do you think maybe that's why the cars are designed to be more economical and why people don't travel the amount Americans do? Cause the fuel is so stupidly high priced?

Without tax a gallon of petrol here is CHEAPER than anywhere in the USA. You're talking around the $1.50 mark or under. (my best guess)

The rest of the price is all taxes, taxes and even more taxes.
Then there's the extra dollar or so added on because they need to ship the fuel from mainland UK over to Ireland (or so they say)
Goes to show how smart americans can be. :P

I've cut back majorly on my traveling since the price went up. The only time I travel anymore is for business or shows, which is a shame cause I miss driving across the state for no reason. Maybe I should get a moped?

CJ

terrasin
08-22-2006, 03:03 AM
i think gas today was 2.68...getting better but not a whole lot...wats the lowest u guys think it'll get??
Price is going back up today.

Their reason: hurricanes which have not happened yet...

CJ

riz
08-22-2006, 01:01 PM
What!? Lame reason. Hey, let's celebrate the one-year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina by raising the gas prices once more.

Idiots.

freak_for_god22
08-22-2006, 01:37 PM
northern ny gas just went down to 2.98 per gal some places 3.01

love~addict
08-22-2006, 01:56 PM
just grand i havent left the house yet today but i guess i'll find out soon,...goodie goodie!!!not...lame reason...i agree!!

john316
08-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Price is going back up today.

Their reason: hurricanes which have not happened yet...

CJ

I would like to go on record as predicting this 5 days ago(see post #12)

skilletfreak101
08-22-2006, 05:35 PM
now that gas prices are so high, i'm not exactly excited to start driving anymore :-(

terrasin
08-22-2006, 06:28 PM
I would like to go on record as predicting this 5 days ago(see post #12)
Haha, I swear, they have a little dartboard in their office with a list of excuses pasted on it and they each take turns throwing a dart.

CEO: And todays reason for a raise in the gas price...
*throws dart*
CEO: Terror level raised in Alexander Island, Antartica

CJ

love~addict
08-22-2006, 08:03 PM
haha..omgosh thats funny...lol

Spiffles
08-22-2006, 09:09 PM
Walking works for me when gas/petrol cost to much for me.
Since then ive realized just how lazy our culture is these days since cars have bene easily obtainable.
Walking not only makes it cheaper to live by saving petrol costs, it makes us fitter and healthier, and it also helps reduce petrol polution. yeh, 1 car off the road isnt a big difference, but every little bit helps and if everyone else in society had the same attitude it would make a difference...
That being said, vehicles are ingrainded into our societys infrasturcture, and we cant just not drive 24/7 and i understand that, so looking at other ways to power them is also a good thing. Lets hope we come up with some good alteratives before we screw up our world a lot more thenw e already have.

disciple
08-22-2006, 09:35 PM
Haha, I swear, they have a little dartboard in their office with a list of excuses pasted on it and they each take turns throwing a dart.

CEO: And todays reason for a raise in the gas price...
*throws dart*
CEO: Terror level raised in Alexander Island, Antartica

CJ
LOL...

CEO: And tomorrow's...
*throws dart*
CEO: Excessive rain in Northern Europe!

terrasin
08-22-2006, 09:50 PM
Since then ive realized just how lazy our culture is these days since cars have bene easily obtainable.
Walking not only makes it cheaper to live by saving petrol costs, it makes us fitter and healthier, and it also helps reduce petrol polution. yeh, 1 car off the road isnt a big difference, but every little bit helps and if everyone else in society had the same attitude it would make a difference...
That being said, vehicles are ingrainded into our societys infrasturcture, and we cant just not drive 24/7 and i understand that, so looking at other ways to power them is also a good thing. Lets hope we come up with some good alteratives before we screw up our world a lot more thenw e already have.
I think it's a very valid point. We've become so dependant on what we have: electricity, cars, phones, computers, pizza shops, etc. that we've forgotten how to live without these things.

At the same time, our times have changed. The things that we've become dependant upon are also things that make life easier, such as traveling across large distances can now be done in a matter of days which before took weeks.

I do agree we should be doing things to help ourselves in all ways, money wise, enviromentally, and most important, health wise.

CJ

john316
08-23-2006, 04:23 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/jmi1960/pearls4.jpg

SvenEkz017
08-23-2006, 05:05 PM
There's got to be a more logical reason. I mean seriously, it can't just be a bunch of already obscenely rich guys at the top of a bunch of skinflint organizations trying to fleece you more and more at the pump just for the sake of money, can it?

love~addict
08-23-2006, 06:07 PM

hehehe..thats funny...hahaha;D ;D
well amazingily the gas did rise today here...ALERT THE MEDIA!!lol

disciple
08-23-2006, 08:18 PM
Sven, that's just it, I'm sorry. I mean, really, no logic. That's the real world. :\

ROFL... so true...

SvenEkz017
09-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Sven, that's just it, I'm sorry. I mean, really, no logic. That's the real world. :\

I was being sarcastic. I live in Alberta, where our entire economy revolves around Oil. We have our share of jerk-like CEO's up here.

riz
09-01-2006, 08:44 PM
$2.29

I thought I was hallucinating.

Nope. Good thing I was running low on gas. ;D

terrasin
09-01-2006, 11:52 PM
2.29?? Wow :| I'm driving to Ohio tomorrow with a tanker.

CJ

john316
09-02-2006, 02:40 AM
2.29?? Wow :| I'm driving to Ohio tomorrow with a tanker.

CJ

Pick me up along the way and I'll split the cost with ya!

NightCrawler
09-11-2006, 11:16 AM
It's 2.44(9) here.

timmyrotter
09-11-2006, 11:28 AM
it has dropped to 2.65 here at the cheapest, but thats 2 hours outside of portland, on the coast. its still 2.80-2.95 in Portland

timmyrotter
01-22-2007, 10:03 PM
dig this baby up because things are getting a little crazy. Oil prices have slipped to around 50$ a barrel. a near 2 year low, the midwest is starting to see prices under 2.00 a gallon for gas. West coast is the highest currently, we are still about 2.60 a gallon. why is this? 50$ a barrel used to translate to around 1.50 for a gallon of gas. i know it takes time to filter through, but do you think we will actually ever see the prices passed on to us? i dont, this really sucks, especially for us west coasters. i understand that the midwest is usually cheaper, but not that much! im not saying you should raise your prices, we just need ours lowered :)!

riz
01-23-2007, 04:06 PM
the midwest is starting to see prices under 2.00 a gallon for gas.

Starting? We had prices skirting below $2.00 in October. It's been pretty steady in the $1.90 - $2.00 range this whole month. I've seen a few stations at $1.86 actually.

I don't mind.

forceflow17
01-23-2007, 04:12 PM
I got gas in Oklohoma today for $1.84
Out of my mind happy

Spiffles
01-23-2007, 04:26 PM
I have been seeing a petrol price drop since the oil price droped down under. It is getting close to $1 a litre now in metro places. Prices from what I have noticed have droped like 1 cents a litre or so. (sorry to all you Americans I dunno the translation to whatever system you guys use..)

timmyrotter
01-23-2007, 04:35 PM
we use gallons which is 3.8 of your liters. America should use metrics, its like the non-conformist EMO country of the world. lol

so spiffles your gas/petrol way expensive.

Spiffles
01-23-2007, 04:47 PM
we use gallons which is 3.8 of your liters. America should use metrics, its like the non-conformist EMO country of the world. lol

so spiffles your gas/petrol way expensive.

yeh I guess...

I remeber when petrol was 60 cents a litre..

What the petrol companys have done (and will probably continue doing) is they gradually put petrol up. Then they dont drop it the same amount it went up when the oil price drops.. then the petrol goes up again more then it droped.. etc etc untill petrol prices are really expensive, but we as consumers get used to what petrol is...

What I mean is, like a couple years ago, $1 a litre we all thought was a major rip off (and it was), but now, we think it is a really really good price because we have been conditioned to the petrol price.
Petrol companys are cunning little buggers.

timmyrotter
01-23-2007, 04:51 PM
same here, they keep edging the price higher and high as we accept it.

alorian
01-23-2007, 07:10 PM
We pretty much have to eh?

Spiffles
01-24-2007, 05:11 PM
http://au.news.yahoo.com/070125/23/126st.html

does the petrol companies do this in the United States also??

(for those too lazy to actually read the article. petrol prices were raised 12 cents a litre because it is Australia day tommorrow)

jade
01-24-2007, 09:40 PM
Yeah, our prices always get raised around major holidays, especially when it comes to high travel seasons like summer and Christmas.

But I don't think we will ever really see any kind of price cut passed down to us. Too much turmoil, politics, and profits in the way. As what has already basically been said, they spike the price, we get accustomed to it, then they drop the price a bit and hold it steady for a short time only to spike it up even more. Gone are the days of $1.19 for a gallon of gas.

Vuren
02-03-2007, 12:10 AM
If you all want some cheap gasoline, come to Ohio. Our prices have plummeted down to under, that's right UNDER, $2.60. I did a double-take as I passed by 2.59 gas today on my way home...

bah just 2.59? i'll take my 2.119 a gallon(that's the expensive pump in town but i was riding fumes and it's next to work(also the highway out of town)

also why won't good ole bush43 do anything about it? because half his staff(ncluding him and **** <blank> cheney are former oil men and have stakes in those companies!

edit: apperently i can't post the name of the vice president...stupid first name!

timmyrotter
02-03-2007, 10:27 AM
he likely will before his presidency is up, to give him a good name when he leaves.

riz
02-03-2007, 11:17 AM
bah just 2.59? i'll take my 2.119 a gallon(that's the expensive pump in town but i was riding fumes and it's next to work(also the highway out of town)

You do realise you replied to a post I made in August, right?

I Bite
02-03-2007, 08:34 PM

I wish I could walk everywhere, and when I'm in downtown Anchorage with my dad, I do. However, when I'm not with my dad, town is like 7 miles away. ANd while that is not impossible, if I need to be at a job interview or something, I'm not gonna go in there all sweaty and smelling bad...But I do agree with you...

Vuren
02-04-2007, 01:50 AM
You do realise you replied to a post I made in August, right?

even in august we were at 2.29 most places and on the highway/interstate by passes it was 2.35

timmyrotter
02-04-2007, 11:02 PM
walking wouldnt be a good alternative for me. 18 miles from school, 80 from church. prices here have finally dropped to around 2.30$

timmyrotter
02-21-2007, 01:46 PM
prices are on the rise again! they are blaming it on the cold in the mid-west, east. people using their furnaces. they come up with the lamest excuses! im sick America!

skilletfreak101
02-22-2007, 01:19 PM
prices are on the rise again! they are blaming it on the cold in the mid-west, east. people using their furnaces. they come up with the lamest excuses! im sick America!
yep...prices on the rise again...just in time to get my license and start paying for my own gas! darn.

riz
02-22-2007, 08:17 PM
they are blaming it on the cold in the mid-west,

This is an interesting excuse considering that the cold weather happened at the beginning of this month in the Midwest, and we've had above-normal temps this entire week.

timmyrotter
03-08-2007, 09:59 AM
so, my prices are up to 2.75 at some stations. the cheapest is around 2.50 but those stations are rising rapidly. this is making me so mad, price perr barrel of oil is around 60.00$ last summer prices were close to 80.00$ per barrel and my peak gas price was 3.10$ anyways my point is, that the oil companies arent making all the money now, but the distributors are cashing in more too! how much can we take?

bob
03-08-2007, 10:45 AM
how much can we take?

Considering gas in Europe is around €1.50/liter . . . I think we could take more. Yes, I know that most European countries have lots of taxes on their gasoline.

unshakeable15
03-08-2007, 05:24 PM
i have you beat Timmy. Lowest i've seen lately was $2.83, but it's probably up closer to $2.90, or will be within the next couple of days.

Unfortunately, i need to refill my tank soon. :(

riz
03-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Considering gas in Europe is around 1.50/liter . . . I think we could take more. Yes, I know that most European countries have lots of taxes on their gasoline.

First time I had ever read foreign gas prices, I chuckled to myself and thought, "That's not much at all, why are they complaining?" Then I realized that it was ₤1 per LITER. And when you convert that, it's quite a bit more than, say, $2.50 for each gallon.

I don't complain too much anymore, even if oil companies and gas stations could easily still reap profits with a nation-wide average of $2.20 a gallon. (That price is just an approximation or guesstimate.)

timmyrotter
04-27-2007, 04:11 PM
AH!!! okay so i went to LA this week, gas was 3.20-3.30 a gallon. it was painful to see, when i left it was 2.90 at my house, now a week later it is up to 3.10-3.30. its not even near peak season. gas will prolly be up around 4$ a gallon this summer. its crazy!!! i hate it!

I Bite
04-27-2007, 08:21 PM
in alaska its usually a good .50 cents up...so i'm curious if it is true right now too.

The average price up here is 2.74

what are yours? [down in the states, i mean]

riz
04-28-2007, 06:29 AM
I am happy that I fueled up my car at $2.77 Thursday morning, because 3 hours later at the same station, the price jumped up to $3/gallon.

It used to be Wednesday when the shift up or down in the gas price at the stations happened. Now it's a toss-up; you'll never know the price because it changes every stinking day.

How does that make any sense?

bob
04-29-2007, 08:51 PM
I love how much the 10% ethanol additive helped with prices.
</sarcasm>

timmyrotter
04-29-2007, 09:36 PM
haha. up to 3.20 average around here. i have 2 ethanol plants coming in 40 miles from me... i bet that will impact my prices...

I Bite
05-18-2007, 01:01 PM
I saw on the internet in San Fransisco, it was $4.33
thats horrible
Up here its $3.20 mostly, but yesterday I saw #2.90
:/