NightCrawler
08-21-2006, 06:07 AM
How many dimensions do you think we have? I can count at least 5, and I want to present a way to look at it. Why? Because I think it is fun to give a graphical demonstration of what I am saying.

First dimension, a line:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/jonathanvajda/Board/5_dim/1d.gif

Second dimension, a geometrical plane:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/jonathanvajda/Board/5_dim/2d.gif

3rd dimension, a cube:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/jonathanvajda/Board/5_dim/still_cube.gif

Then this is where it gets fun. Time, the 4th dimension and layer to our existance, represented as a cube that rotates:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/jonathanvajda/Board/5_dim/rotcube.gif

But then what is the 5th dimension? Something that is unbound to time, the spiritual layer that is transposed over all matter, represented as a rotating cube with different colours:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/jonathanvajda/Board/5_dim/cube.gif

NightCrawler
08-21-2006, 06:09 AM
I hope you like my dimension model.

skynes
08-21-2006, 07:55 AM
There are 6 known dimenions:

Length
Breadth
Height
Time

Energy

Matter

I heavily guess that there is a 7th dimension... why?

Cause God does things in 7's.

NightCrawler
08-21-2006, 12:09 PM
How is matter different from the first 3?

dawn of light
08-21-2006, 12:27 PM
The first, second, and third dimensions show space whereas matter is substance. The third dimension being a hollow cube and matter being a solid one?? (I dunno, correct me if I'm wrong, that was just my uneducated hypothesis).

weebird20
08-21-2006, 01:47 PM
hmmm...dimensions of the universe...i thought about what Scott said on how God likes to do things in sevens and did a little google search and found this http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~brandon1/resources/dim3.htm it sounds quite interesting as he mentions knowledge as being one of the dimensions...and he also came to the conclusion that there are 7 dimensions...

PS. that site has quite a few pages on the subject of dimensions though i haven't had a chance to look through them all myself.

TheFireBreathes
08-21-2006, 01:48 PM
What about 11 demensions? Lisa, I think she told me scientists have discovered up to 11.

lamb_servant72
08-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Yes, I mentioned that somewhere. A scientist told me that about 20 years ago. I googled "eleven dimensions" and alot of material popped up. Here's one of many. According to this article, there are even more than eleven. http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Eleven-Dimensions-of-Space/Time---Part-IV&id=132338

disciple
08-21-2006, 06:41 PM
I don't think you can "discover" dimensions without traveling between them ;) it's more of "scientists hypothesize" because it's theoretical physics and whatnot.

skynes
08-22-2006, 12:21 AM
How is matter different from the first 3?

Height is not a physical tangible thing.

i.e. You cannot touch height and feel its texture.
What you CAN do is see the height of matter and measure matter by the dimension of height.

lamb_servant72
08-22-2006, 03:02 AM
I remember the scientist using a paperdoll to try to give me a visual on that one.

If I recall, he was trying to show how Heaven is all around us, but we can't see it. He was asking us to imagine that the paperdoll (us, and I realize a paperdoll is only 2 dimensions, but he was trying to make a point comparing that with something having more dimensions) could pass through the solid table it was standing on, but not see it or know it was there, because we can only see the things we share the same (or fewer) dimensions with.

Nedarbi
09-04-2006, 08:13 PM
man i see now why i am in high school. this stuff is way beyond me.lol:o

skynes
09-05-2006, 01:42 AM
I'm not some PhD grad or anything. Just a big nerd with a love for dimensional and temporal theories.

I think they're a great game/book storyline foundation which isn't used often enough.

Nedarbi
09-10-2006, 09:33 PM
i think god intended for a certain amount of mystery to our existence in the universe. as humans we are always faced with the larger picture of our purpose here. over the years we have definetly begun to understand alot of it. such as the existance of the universe, galaxies and such. but personally i dont think we will ever reach that far out and will only have a vauge understanding of it. i guess it's all part of gods design for us. but as said these kinds of things are definetly interesting and intrigueing. i think that these mysteries are part of what drive our humanity.

skynes
09-11-2006, 12:56 AM
i think god intended for a certain amount of mystery to our existence in the universe. as humans we are always faced with the larger picture of our purpose here. over the years we have definetly begun to understand alot of it. such as the existance of the universe, galaxies and such. but personally i dont think we will ever reach that far out and will only have a vauge understanding of it. i guess it's all part of gods design for us. but as said these kinds of things are definetly interesting and intrigueing. i think that these mysteries are part of what drive our humanity.

I don't.
I believe that if it exists - It can be known.
If it can't be known, then it doesn't exist.

Spiffles
09-11-2006, 01:33 AM
I don't.
I believe that if it exists - It can be known.
If it can't be known, then it doesn't exist.

Nedarbi was talking about understanding.
I think "known" (as you said) and "understand" are two different things.
It is very possible to "know" something but not "understand" it.

I know about eternity for example, but besides the "forever" bit, i certainly dont understand it. Or things like this thread, and dimensions.. I know there are dimensions, but dont understand it at all.

skynes
09-11-2006, 07:59 AM
Nedarbi was talking about understanding.
I think "known" (as you said) and "understand" are two different things.
It is very possible to "know" something but not "understand" it.

I know about eternity for example, but besides the "forever" bit, i certainly dont understand it. Or things like this thread, and dimensions.. I know there are dimensions, but dont understand it at all.

I was addressing the point of: It's God's design for things to be out of our reach.

unshakeable15
09-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Do you fully understand the Trinity and how it works and what exactly it means to be three entities, yet one all at the same time?

'Cause i sure as heck don't.

All i know are the allusions we have to describe this concept of God as three Beings all encompassed as One (like comparing him to H2O, solid, liquid and gas embodied in one molecule; or how my father is a father, a husband and a brother all in one). They do a good job describing it, but it doesn't explain it.

skynes
09-20-2006, 02:03 AM
Here's what I've thought up. Emphasis on the word thought, I have no solid evidence for this.

What is a God?

Due to the paganism thats infiltrated out culture throughout time we have a Greeky view of what a God is. i.e. it's a person, physical body, thoughts, emotions, etc. But they are just one entity.

What if a God is actually a multiple existing entity? The triune-ness of God is actually what a God is!

The definition of God: A triune being.

What's that to do with the thread anyway? I was talking about understanding things in our world, not the nature of God.

lamb_servant72
09-21-2006, 12:48 AM
That would certainly explain how so many religions have a triune God/god.

lamb_servant72
09-21-2006, 12:53 AM
... how my father is a father, a husband and a brother all in one). They do a good job describing it, but it doesn't explain it.

I like how this explains how one person could be all three, but then again, that person could not be all three things to someone. My father couldn't be my brother or husband. Wait, are you talking about soap operas, Mike?;D Yet, God is my Father, Savior, and Holy Spirit.

skynes
09-21-2006, 01:51 AM
The Father/Brother/Husband works more in support that there is NO Trinity, that each aspect of God is just a role. Not 3 individual persons with their own will, desires and ideas.

Oneness Pentacostalisms follow that...

unshakeable15
09-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Well, yes, if you think of it too deeply, but it's like any analogy, it breaks down the more thought put into it. :P

skynes
04-05-2007, 04:37 AM
Grraaaaavedig.

I was given this website, which explains up to 10 Dimensions. I found it absolutely fascinating. I know some here will too. Everyone else will scratch their heads...

http://www.tenthdimension.com/medialinks.php

So I was wrong on the 5th and 6th dimension. It's not Energy and Matter, it's the infinite possibilities of time.

NightCrawler
04-05-2007, 07:31 AM
Wow.

I am having either a) a hard time understanding all of it or b) hard time believing its possibility/probability

skynes
04-05-2007, 08:33 AM
The bit I find improbably/hard to believe is after the requirement of the Big Bang...

Seems kinda silly to try and use a theoretical unproven concept as a foundation for another theoretical concept huh?

bob
04-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Seems kinda silly to try and use a theoretical unproven concept as a foundation for another theoretical concept huh?

Is that how all theoretics seem to work though? I liked how the video put everything into simple terms.

skynes
04-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Is that how all theoretics seem to work though? I liked how the video put everything into simple terms.

Not as far as I know. He's taking the big bang to be a proven fact and using it to support another theory.

bob
04-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Not as far as I know. He's taking the big bang to be a proven fact and using it to support another theory.

Scientists use evolution all the time for the basis of other theories.

skynes
04-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Scientists use evolution all the time for the basis of other theories.

Such as?

NightCrawler
04-05-2007, 11:28 AM
The bit I find improbably/hard to believe is after the requirement of the Big Bang...

Why would that matter?

AgainstTheTide
04-07-2007, 06:44 AM
i'm confused...lol

skynes
04-07-2007, 07:02 AM
Why would that matter?

The whole 8th and 9th dimsions hang on the fact that the big Bang happened a particular way. He's suggesting that if it exploded bigger or smaller or any number of infinite combinations, it will produce a totally different universe with its own set of infinite outcomes.

However, if the universe never had a big bang and there was only one way it started (God), then the 8th and 9th dimensions cannot exist.

You could argue that God could have created differently, maybe saying "Let there be light" or "Let light exist" or "YOU! Light! Get your hind end in here". At a stretch that may also account for differences. But I don't think so.

bob
04-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Well, it is just a theory. Doesn't necessarily mean its correct. But I agree that their version of the 8th and 9th demensions were a little sketchy.

NightCrawler
04-07-2007, 09:26 AM
The whole 8th and 9th dimsions hang on the fact that the big Bang happened a particular way. He's suggesting that if it exploded bigger or smaller or any number of infinite combinations, it will produce a totally different universe with its own set of infinite outcomes.

However, if the universe never had a big bang and there was only one way it started (God), then the 8th and 9th dimensions cannot exist.

You could argue that God could have created differently, maybe saying "Let there be light" or "Let light exist" or "YOU! Light! Get your hind end in here". At a stretch that may also account for differences. But I don't think so.
Heh... have you heard some of the hardcore determinist arguments? What he says, regardless of the big-bang would still be relevant in the eyes of a determinist.

To put it simply, if a Mount St. Helen simply went out of existence 2 thousand years ago, our climate, topography and other weather patterns on the east coast would be different (not dramatically different, not like a lush forest --> desert, but more like lush forest --> smaller forest). [FYI, mount St. Helen is on the west coast of north america.

So, if the bang was bigger or smaller, or if God didn't make one star or made the sun bigger, whatever... the result would be a distinctly different universe, which was part of the author's points. Possible timelines, possible universes.

skynes
04-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Heh... have you heard some of the hardcore determinist arguments? What he says, regardless of the big-bang would still be relevant in the eyes of a determinist.

To put it simply, if a Mount St. Helen simply went out of existence 2 thousand years ago, our climate, topography and other weather patterns on the east coast would be different (not dramatically different, not like a lush forest --> desert, but more like lush forest --> smaller forest). [FYI, mount St. Helen is on the west coast of north america.

So, if the bang was bigger or smaller, or if God didn't make one star or made the sun bigger, whatever... the result would be a distinctly different universe, which was part of the author's points. Possible timelines, possible universes.

8th dimension. All possible end results from one single origin.

9th dimension. All possible origins.

Sound about right?

I've no idea what a hardcore determinist is...

bob
04-07-2007, 01:19 PM
I was discussing this with my Dad earlier and he thinks that there is nothing after the fifth demension because possibilities are all possibilities.

skynes
04-07-2007, 02:03 PM
To me, should the 10 dimensions exist, it only further shows God's awesomeness. To have accounted for and planned for an infinite number of possible outcomes, I believe, gives God more glory than simply predestining things to happen.

For God to bend one dimension of time into another to answer a prayer is a much more 'power show off' than simply doing it.

NightCrawler
04-09-2007, 06:34 AM
8th dimension. All possible end results from one single origin.

9th dimension. All possible origins.

Sound about right?

Huh. That wasn't how I interpreted it. I was thinking all possible origins = beginnings. Not so much all possible sources of beginning, but rather the beginnings themselves. Big bang vs bigger bang; not Big Bang vs always-existing universe vs Creator God.

I could be wrong.

I've no idea what a hardcore determinist is...
Hard(core) determinist:
You have as much freewill as the wind. It is all completely determined. Any sense of control is just an illusion, a byproduct of your consciousness.