zeroneff
08-24-2006, 02:49 PM
Pluto is no longer a planet but a rock in space....
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2353457

pizza brain
08-24-2006, 04:15 PM
I wanna cry :'( NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

terrasin
08-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Hehe, the funny thing is, they are adding something like 5 planets to our solar system. I've been waiting impatiently for the new names and coords so I can find them. :)

CJ

skilltroks
08-24-2006, 05:41 PM
I did a report on Pluto in the third grade.

TheFireBreathes
08-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Yeah aparantly there was this huge meeting or something on changing the definitiion of planet.

SvenEkz017
08-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Yes a group of astronomical gurus met in prague and made a bunch of redefinitions including the reclassification of the definition of planet. They added the term "dwarf planet" to the astronomical vocabulary, and Pluto got reassigned to dwarf planet status. Sad, really. I was starting to kinda like pluto.

Imagine what this will do to Astro majors in University. What if someone was doing his/her thesis on Pluto as a planet??!?! What will this mean for Society? For the universe!

Who will care?!?!

terrasin
08-25-2006, 12:07 AM
Heh, if they are doing a report or thesis on Pluto, this will actually help them because there has been nothing new to document on it in a very long time. Also, with all the news and articles coming out of this, it will make it very easy.

For those of us who are into astronomy, like myself, this is some big news that we've been expecting for a while. For the past few years this topic has been under discussion. I didn't think it would actually go through, but amazingly enough, it did. As I said though, I am interested also in the new planets being added. :)

CJ

love~addict
08-25-2006, 03:04 AM
lol...srry but im dont really care bout astronomy..but wat r they gonna do now??change all the science books??heh,,that outta b interesting but it will b kewl...with the new planets being added and wat not..lol

NightCrawler
08-25-2006, 08:21 AM
dwarf planet? I thought they made a new category for stars called 'brown dwarfs' and small planets as 'plutons'.

NightCrawler
08-25-2006, 08:37 AM
Heh, if they are doing a report or thesis on Pluto, this will actually help them because there has been nothing new to document on it in a very long time. Also, with all the news and articles coming out of this, it will make it very easy.

For those of us who are into astronomy, like myself, this is some big news that we've been expecting for a while. For the past few years this topic has been under discussion. I didn't think it would actually go through, but amazingly enough, it did. As I said though, I am interested also in the new planets being added. :)

CJ

I'm looking forward to it too. History in the making! New things to memorize! Fun facts about our universe! More things to watch for with your telescope!.... I want a telescope so badly.

blah blah I'm ignorant blah blah
I'm apparently ignorant. Sorry about my last post.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_planet

---

CORRECTION... I am just getting conflicting articles! XD
http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0817/p25s01-usgn.html -- A Christian Science site. Who are you going to trust? ROFL.... Don't pay attention to 'Christian Science' anything. The name is misleading.

disciple
08-25-2006, 11:13 AM
...uhm, doesn't make too much difference to me.

But, if they keep the name of that asteroid (now planet?) 'Xena', I'm moving out of this solar system. :D

alorian
08-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Outrageous! This ruins every dream and wish I've ever had. Pluto was my guiding force, but now it's gone. Good bye life.

lamb_servant72
08-25-2006, 01:21 PM
Xena, Pluto, Charon (Pluto's satellite), and Ceres (in the astroid belt) are dwarf planets. There are now "officially" eight planets.

zeroneff
08-25-2006, 03:56 PM
Those of you that don't like astronomy should care becuse that our solor system and space a awsume!!!!!!

404not_found
08-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Oh well, Saturn was always my favorite planet since 1st grade (I actually thought for the longest time, you could ice skate on Saturns rings... which automatically made it the coolest planet IMO :P) so as long as that doesn't get demoted, I don't really care about the rest.

Oh, question, since the Planets are named after the Greek gods (er... the Roman gods), will they change the name of Pluto since the moons are generally named after "lesser" gods or titans? The name Pluto deserves to go with a planet rather than floating rock...

And are the new planets gonna be called like, Athena, Apollo, Artemis, Eros or whatever (their roman names though of course... I get the greek/roman names mixed up a bit)? Just curious

skilletfreak101
08-26-2006, 08:03 AM
Pluto is no longer a planet but a rock in space....
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2353457
it's probably just me, but i think that that article is really stupid. all it pretty much talks about is how "the dog pluto has no competition now..." WWWOOOWWW

zeroneff
08-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Oh come on don't you see wats going on all this pluto for nothing they sant the ashes of the man who disscover pluto to pluto. reports you did on it all those test you took in school and you knew that pluto was last. the kids from last year are going to be confusse with this change.......

DarkestRose
08-28-2006, 09:29 PM
I think it's really lame that we're getting rid of pluto. I don't even see why the "dwarf-plant" thing gives us any real advantage in astronomy. It is going to take an inordinate amount of time to get all our textbook and everything up-to-date with all the weird things that are being done to our solar system. I think it is ridiculous.

terrasin
08-28-2006, 11:33 PM
I think it's actually a very good thing for astronomy. It means we are learning new things and making changes instead of stagnating with obsolite information that needs to be changed in order to move forward. Granted, some might not see the significance behind this, but it is a very justifyable change and one I believe that was needed for the astrological community.

CJ

404not_found
08-28-2006, 11:59 PM
I couldn't care less on way or the other. Its a floating ball I'll never come into contact with and I doubt will have any significant impact on my life. Obviously I'm not into astrology :P

skynes
08-29-2006, 01:15 AM
My Very Efficient Memory Just Stores Up Nine.......

I can see it now.

dawn of light
08-29-2006, 05:59 AM
good one Scott!

alorian
08-29-2006, 06:26 AM
Classification is subjective :)

zjf
08-29-2006, 09:10 AM
The only reason pluto isn't a planet any more is because its orbit intersects with Uranus' orbit, which under the new classification, disqualifies it.

SAVE PLUTO! </Ferris Bueller>

timmyrotter
08-29-2006, 11:23 AM
to people who are getting worked up about this: "oh we have to change our text books" well city-states change names and territories all the time. and no one cares. pluto does nothing for us. its no big deal. i think pluto did it for a publicity stunt. just like john micheal car admitting to killing Jonbenet

skynes
08-30-2006, 12:33 AM
What you mention timmyrotter is funny to me.

Evolution evidence is proved wrong continually, yet how much of it still glorifies our text books?

Ummm... all of it.

Nedarbi
08-30-2006, 11:49 PM
it's amazing how i have grown up my hole life being taught science and now in high school i think i know how our galaxy works. suddenly things change and it gives you the sense of the unknown and you see the universe as the big picture that it is. there are probably a million more things for mankind to discover in our galaxy alone. think about all the things we have discovered already and knowing how fast discoveres can evolve and change, who knows what mankind will view the galaxy as say 100 years from now.

unshakeable15
08-31-2006, 10:42 AM
I couldn't care less on way or the other. Its a floating ball I'll never come into contact with and I doubt will have any significant impact on my life. Obviously I'm not into astrology :P
i'm sure you mean astronomy. Astrology is the belief that stars control your destiny. ;)

amodman
09-01-2006, 12:35 AM
it's amazing how i have grown up my hole life being taught science and now in high school i think i know how our galaxy works. suddenly things change and it gives you the sense of the unknown and you see the universe as the big picture that it is. there are probably a million more things for mankind to discover in our galaxy alone. think about all the things we have discovered already and knowing how fast discoveres can evolve and change, who knows what mankind will view the galaxy as say 100 years from now.

Astronomical science changes annually. Trust me, an (advanced)Astronomy textbook from as little as 5 years ago would most likely have drastic differences with one written now. It's really to the point where it's a lot of theoretical science that can either be supported or debunked as our ability to examine the universe increases. The hoo ha over Pluto is funny, it's neither that big of a deal (as it's just classification) nor something unexpected. The term 'planet' has been in dire need of solid definition for some time now.

p.s. Mike, is astrology the belief that the stars control your destiny, or that your destiny is written in the stars? Hmmmm...

Actually it's neither. It's more or less a complicated "prophetic" (read, fortune telling on a worldwide scale) religion based upon the constellations, but it's blatantly flawed even while suspending disbelief in it's verity. Your zodiac sign as the constellation you are "born under," for instance, isn't even the constellation you would have been "born under." They've shifted in our sky (no longer coincide with the progression of equinoxes as they did) since when the astrologic zodiac was setup, and we've failed to compensate ;).

unshakeable15
09-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the clarification. :) It further adds to what i was pointing out, that he meant Astronomy. :)

404not_found
09-03-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm not a she... and yea I know the differnce :P I obviously wans't thinking when I typed that though.

unshakeable15
09-03-2006, 08:27 PM
What do you mean? i wrote he. :P ;)

Sorry, didn't look back and double-check.

whereami
09-04-2006, 08:55 AM
http://www.zazzle.com/product/235703365657092027
^ i want one of these so bad

EDIT: wait, new favorite: http://www.zazzle.com/product/235800874824578586?idx=9&dt=pluto&request=productSearch&term=pluto&page=1&numRecsPerpage=20&sortBy=date_created&sortOrder=desc&sortPeriod=0&zidCategoryId=0&maturity=1&zidContributorId=0&zcdProductType=0