Panhead Josiah
08-29-2006, 12:08 PM
someone please clear me up on something... where did skillets name come from... when people make fun of skillets name i have a hard time defending them. what do i do?

dawn of light
08-29-2006, 12:15 PM
I read somewhere that it was because all of the original members of the band had a wide variety of musical talents and they thought that they'd "throw it all into the skillet and see what they cook up". That's where they got the name Skillet from. I read this a long time ago so I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's where they got it.

lamb_servant72
08-29-2006, 12:47 PM
That's what I read, too. I believe it was their pastor that actually said the quote.

JohnnyRocker
08-29-2006, 01:10 PM
Yes, that is correct, unfortunately... haha

timmyrotter
08-29-2006, 01:10 PM
i heard similar, i variety of sounds put together, evident mostly in its 3 middle albums.

Panhead Josiah
08-29-2006, 02:01 PM
hmmm.... ok but that dosn't defend a christian band that well. the people i talk to think it should be a christian meaning.... o well :(

theelectric3
08-29-2006, 05:07 PM
well... the body of Christ is diverse... all kinds of backgrounds "thrown together" (if you will).

and a christian band doesn't necessarily have to have a 'christian' name... there is no written rule that says so.

Panhead Josiah
08-29-2006, 05:13 PM
ya but its easier to defend them if they have a Christian name. don't get me wrong... its still cool

BarlowgIRL
08-29-2006, 05:33 PM
I find that the people who think that a Christian band should have nothing but Jesus' name in all the lyics hate Skillet anyway cause Korey wears black nailpolish.
So I would say that those people won't like Skillet no matter what you say.personal expirience...

Panhead Josiah
08-29-2006, 05:39 PM
hey i love Jesus and ware black.......... like allot

BarlowgIRL
08-29-2006, 05:53 PM
Yeah ditto. As the lady was saying that Skillet was Satanic cause they wear black nail polish and black clothes I looked down at my outfit and realized that I was dressed the same. And I have been informed that I wear too much eyeliner also so, yeah, I felt VERY comfortable..

DustinRocks
08-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Rick Miller cameup with the band Skillet. He introduced Jon Ken and Trey and in a sense put the band together Ken was in Fingerpaint(post punk) and Jon was doing nenon Fish (terrible) and trey well not sure. So he took three differant dudes through them together in a "skillet". I went to churhc with Rock Jon and Ken for a while.

timmyrotter
08-30-2006, 06:59 AM
HOLD UP! are you saying Skillet's name should be christian? i think POD said it best, something like, if there is a christian plumber, and he... wow i cant remember. but the point is that Christ died for people, not bands. i know they have relationships with Jesus, and even if they didnt id like them. you have to relize that they are under a secular label. and so far they have been in the world and not of it. lay off.

DustinRocks
08-30-2006, 08:16 AM
Don't jumpJosiahs butt hemay just be young and kinda ignorant or perhaps a new Christian. Some people need things put into perspective. For exampleif a Christian owns a bakery it doesn't have to be called "Christ Cookies". Giving something a Christian name doesn't make it Christian. one more Example "Church of Christian Science" and mormons call themselves Christians but neither group is. See my point Josiah?

Panhead Josiah
08-30-2006, 08:37 AM
hey i totally understand. all I'm saying is that they are easier to defend (when people get on them) if they have a Christian name. but i understood from the beginning that you don't have to have a Christian name. (Christiana for allot of years)

DustinRocks
08-30-2006, 08:42 AM
just tryin to help you out. I disagree. Most Christian bands have such lame names its harder to defend them to a secular audience.

timmyrotter
08-30-2006, 09:35 AM
skillet is an awesome, unique, nuetral name. why defend it? maybe they dont wnat to be defended as a christian band. most christians are ignorant, and when a "christian band" goes mainstream they stop liking the band, cause they feel they were abandoned. try to be understanding, they dont have to always sing about God, or even talk about him at thier concerts. its bound to happen. but you have to realize that Skillet are christians, so leave it at that, its not your place to judge. i think what they are doing is right! they are out in the secular market, with messages that are uplifting, which mainstream needs more of. bands that have also done this. POD, Switchfoot, Relient K, Sanctus real.
you have to trust them, and support them!

dawn of light
08-30-2006, 09:51 AM
I agree that it's awesome that Skillet is influencing more people and going more mainstream. I'm so glad that they're staying strong and they're not compromising just so more people like them. Unfortunately, a lot of bands get kinda sketchy when they decide to go mainstream (like POD).

BarlowgIRL
08-30-2006, 03:43 PM
I do believe that he was saying that other people want them to have a Christian name, I don't think he's the one who wants it to be Christian.

Spiffles
08-30-2006, 04:25 PM
HOLD UP! are you saying Skillet's name should be christian? i think POD said it best, something like, if there is a christian plumber, and he... wow i cant remember. but the point is that Christ died for people, not bands. i know they have relationships with Jesus, and even if they didnt id like them. you have to relize that they are under a secular label. and so far they have been in the world and not of it. lay off.

*blinks*

Read that quote the guy made mate.

He is NOT saying he thinks that, but others he talks to think that...

As for the "lay off" comment you made.
Try reading everything before jumping down someones throat.
He doesnt need to "lay off" you need to learn to read.

This is the sort of crap that turns people off Christians..

[quote] most christians are ignorant

Thast a wide sweeping statement that isnt true. Some Christians may be, not "most"..
But continue to bag out Christians if you wish.. All it does is demean Jesus

john316
08-30-2006, 05:02 PM
Ok guys...lets cool down. I dont think we need comments like "lay off" or "learn to read" to make our points...lets be civil.

Panhead Josiah is a new member and i would hate to have lock his thread because we cant communicate like adults

Panhead Josiah
08-30-2006, 05:33 PM
I do believe that he was saying that other people want them to have a Christian name, I don't think he's the one who wants it to be Christian.

ya thats me

zeroneff
08-30-2006, 06:10 PM
Skillet began in 1996 as a side project with John Cooper, Trey McClurkin, and Ken Steorts. All three members came from differing music backgrounds with different styles and influences, so they weren't quite sure what the end product would sound like... it was kinda like throwing a bunch of different ingredients in a skillet and seeing what came out.
thats what the FAQ say's on the top of your scren

dawn of light
08-31-2006, 05:55 AM
Panhead Josiah, you could also try explaining to your friends that it's what's in the heart that counts not the appearances. I'm sure you already know that, but maybe your friends are confused about what true Christianity is about. In fact I can't really think of many Christian artists that have a blatantly Christian name. Oh well, good luck explaining to them, hopefully they'll be won over by Skillet's awesome music!

Panhead Josiah
08-31-2006, 07:31 AM
ya thats true thaey play awsome music no mater what their name is.

BarlowgIRL
09-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Skillet began in 1996 as a side project with John Cooper, Trey McClurkin, and Ken Steorts. All three members came from differing music backgrounds with different styles and influences, so they weren't quite sure what the end product would sound like... it was kinda like throwing a bunch of different ingredients in a skillet and seeing what came out.
thats what the FAQ say's on the top of your scren
Wow, you must have missed the first three posts after the first...