terrasin
09-03-2006, 10:24 PM
It's a sad day, indeed. :(

THE Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, is dead. It is believed he was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest.

The Essendon-born wildlife enthusiast was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary when it happened.

The Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) said a call was received about 11am (AEST) today and an emergency services helicopter was flown to a boat on Batt Reef, off Port Douglas, with a doctor and emergency services paramedic on board.

Mr Irwin had a puncture wound to the left side of his chest and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Irwin's American-born wife Terri learned of her husband's death while trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania.

It is understood Irwin, 44, was killed around noon, Eastern Australian time.

A source said Irwin was already dead when his body was brought on to the island.

His body was being flown to Cairns Hospital in North Queensland for formal identification.

Irwin - known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter - is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!".

The father of two's Crocodile Hunter program was first broadcast in 1992 and has been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.

He has also starred in movies and has developed the Australia Zoo wildlife park, north of Brisbane, which was started by his parents Bob and Lyn Irwin.

Tributes have already started pouring in for the larger-than-life character.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, who used a photograph of his family at Australia Zoo for his official Christmas card last year, hailed Irwin for his work in promoting Australia.

Irwin was heavily involved in last year's "G'Day LA" campaign.

"The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciative of all the work he'd done to promote Australia overseas," a spokesman said.

Mr Irwin had close links with Prime Minister John Howard and was a guest at The Lodge during a function for US President George W Bush in 2003.

A Tourism Queensland spokeswoman said the death was shocking and paid tribute to Irwin's "enormous contribution" to his adopted state.

Louise Yates said it was impossible to quantify how much Mr Irwin had meant to the Queensland tourism industry.

"I don't think we could even estimate how much he brought us through his personality and his profile and his enthusiasm about Queensland," she said.

"It would be difficult to estimate how much he was worth. And it would be difficult to underestimate."

She said Irwin had been a larger-than-life ambassador.

"It's not just what he brought but what he took with him when he travelled, his passion."

Australia Zoo, on southeast Queensland's Sunshine Coast, employs more than 500 people and attracts thousands of visitors every day.

But Ms Yates said it would be "unfair and unjust" to put a dollar value on Irwin's worth to the state, because of how much he had given.

planet_kosmos
09-03-2006, 10:35 PM
Wow, I didn't think it was that close to where I live, Port Douglas, thats only about half an hour away from where I live, tooooo close for comfort.

Spiffles
09-04-2006, 12:11 AM
Its a sad day.. He did a lot of good work.

Pray for his wife and two kids cause they'll need it.

Lets hope his work can continue and everything he has done doesnt go to waste.

terrasin
09-04-2006, 12:39 AM
He was huge into conservation which is an automatic thumbs up from me. I've watched him since the mid 90's and have really admired what his work. He had a huge impact on the world, that's for sure.

CJ

lamb_servant72
09-04-2006, 04:57 AM
Thanks for the information, CJ. Most of his sights are busy and I haven't been able to get alot of info. I thought this was probably some internet joke when my husband told me this morning.

We need to pray for Terri and the children.

I did just get on his official site. It says that he was filming for his daughter's new show. I wish they would take that off. She will blame herself.

LeShep
09-04-2006, 10:28 AM
oh my yeah they do need to take that off, she will feel so aweful...

zeroneff
09-04-2006, 11:19 AM
http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/crochunter/steve/statement.html?clik=netmain_feat1

pizza brain
09-04-2006, 11:28 AM
This sucks :(

zeroneff
09-04-2006, 11:29 AM
Man id never thought he was going to die this way

theelectric3
09-04-2006, 01:26 PM
i read that in the paper this morning... a sad day indeed.

riz
09-04-2006, 06:03 PM
You know, it's funny. I'm sure I'd feel a bit more about this incident... but the fact that a friend of mine from high school died on Saturday really puts things into perspective; it makes you realize how strange something like this can become. I kept on getting so angry at others today when they would be eulogising Steve Irwin and everything. It wassn't their fault and all. They didn't know; they didn't know that someone more important to me had lost his life around the same time someone more famous did. But it still feels kind of unjust, as if the other person isn't as important or something.

Just had to get that off my chest. You can continue with the thread now...

skilletfreak101
09-04-2006, 06:48 PM
i was so shocked when i heard the news

john316
09-05-2006, 03:00 AM
This is really sad...I feel for his family.

I would call Steve a preservationist more then a conservationist as conservation promotes the wise use of natural resources so the land can give back...ie through hunting,fishing,timbering etc.

Steve was anti-hunting and fishing so i would call him more of a preservationist and he was an excellent entertainer.

pidget
09-05-2006, 06:16 AM
It is very sad... He was too young to die. It's sick though some websites have the video of him dying for you to watch. In my opinion, they need to take those down.

terrasin
09-05-2006, 09:56 AM
They didn't release the video of him being killed yet. It will be aired, maybe on sunday when animal planet does their formal tribute, to respect Steves wishes. The video is still in the hands of the police according to a CNN article.

CJ

timmyrotter
09-05-2006, 11:04 AM
i really want to see the video... i know it sounds creepy. but i do.

m_money618
09-05-2006, 07:03 PM
^ lol.... me too.

my soccer coach didn't know about his death and when i told him he started crying.

LeShep
09-06-2006, 07:39 AM
yeah its creepy.. me myself im so squeemish even on the tele watching someone die put a lump in me... and to know he really did die.. I know I would have a hard time.. I am too emotional even tho I didnt know him personally..I just hope his family can get threw it, I know they have prolly already seen it but to have ppl actually wanting to see it might make them uncomfortable.... but then again im not saying anything about the ppl who do want to watch cause it could show some pointers on what not to do... but me myself I dont go into waters like that.

Jesus freak_14
09-06-2006, 02:07 PM
I don't know if this was already mentioned in the thread but they said he pulled the manta-ray's tail or w/e its called out of his heart, so he didn't die instantly which made me really sad :( i feel for his family too. his kids are so young. :(

TheFireBreathes
09-06-2006, 02:15 PM
It's hard to believe that he's actually dead, ya know? Like when John Ritter from 8 Simple Rules died it was hard to take, even for people who didn't know him.

Maxdude360
09-07-2006, 04:25 PM
I don't know if this was already mentioned in the thread but they said he pulled the manta-ray's tail or w/e its called out of his heart, so he didn't die instantly which made me really sad :( i feel for his family too. his kids are so young. :(

ya i know he did do that, same ol steve irwin he gets hurt and instantly takes action. im gonna miss him, its like a world wide hero has just died.

riz
09-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Hero?

Sigh.

terrasin
09-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Irwin was a total hero in my eyes. Hre brought conservation and knowledge into the public eye and got people interested in what he was doing. And he was real about it. The majority of the money he made went into conservation. He didn't live in some fancy house on the Gold Coast of Australia. He lived in a smallish bungalo which I believe was inside the zoo.

CJ

Spiffles
09-10-2006, 07:31 PM
I have to agree with CJ.

He was a major factor in conservation of wildlife. He also helped out people whenever he could.
Cj has it right, he lived in the zoo, and all his money went into the zoo, and too purchasing bushland and other areas so they would be preserved. He did a LOT more then people realize. He was the same off camera as he was on. He was a true genuine bloke.

People see him as a hero because he started from small things. He didnt just get born into money or fame. He dedicated his whole life to what he was doing. He actually made a difference in this world.
People see him as a hero because they see everything he has done and the good impact his lifes work has done.
Thats what Hero's are.. People that others look up to and go "yeh that guy is cool, i respect what he has done and admire him and his work and can see that everything he has come in contact with has been better off for it."

I'm sorry your mate died Riz.. It sucks too.
It doesnt change other people from seeing Steve Irwin as their Hero though.

LeShep
09-11-2006, 05:24 PM
just wondering .. what is the family going to do now.. I mean his life was in the zoo... it would be hard to even look at one and not think of him... u know how most ppl do and move from what reminds them of a loved one that has passed away cause its too hard to cope with.
And didnt his wife do this with him too with the animals?
I hope she is strong and stays strong for their kids.
My prayers... and hopes are with her and her family.

terrasin
09-12-2006, 07:26 AM
From what I've heard, his wife will take over running the zoo and daughter will be continuing with her new show. I'm wondering is she will be the next Croc Hunter when shes older and take after her dad. :)

CJ

Grunge=Fun
09-12-2006, 01:51 PM
he had it coming. i mean how could you think that you would be untouched when you do all that crazy stuff that he did? i just thought that he'd be bitten in two or something but no he got stung in the heart by a stingray. weird...

1nonlyjen
09-17-2006, 11:01 AM
this was posted by a lady who knew friends of the croc hunter

I sit here in awe at God's grace and love.

A few days ago we heard some news about Steve Irwin giving his heart to the Lord 3 weeks before he died, and my first thought was: this is just what the public hoped for!

For quite some time Terri has visited local churches here, taking Bindi along with her. But i now have it confirmed on quite good authority that Steve did indeed become a Christian approx 3+ weeks before he died

It just blows my mind thinking about it!
Who can comprehend God's ways, His timing and His love!

I found this on the Rebecca St.James page. I don't know where they found it but "yay!" if its true. There was a lot of talk about seeing Steve Irwin up there talking to God about all those animals he loved.

terrasin
09-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Heh, everyone knows someone who knows someone on the internet. The story seems a bit far fetched, but maybe one day someone close to him will speak out about it. Certainly it would have been a big enough deal that people would have said something about it while being interviewed.

"He just became a Christian 3 weeks ago. Why did God take him so soon?" type thing.

I can't answer whether or not he was a Christian. It was obvious he believed in evolution as many of us do, but I'm sure he would get heat about it from Christian activists of a church he was associated with. In any event, whether he was or wasn't is between him and God.

CJ