Falinguplights
09-19-2006, 06:47 PM
Yea I'm just gonna Review the Comatose, Song by Song just telling what I think here we go

Rebirthing- Definatley a hit, The Song starts off with a nice
Orchestra like thing, And then the guitars Hit, This is beautiful. One of the most Rocky Songs on the cd, very good Emotional song, Gave me chills first time I heard it, first Radio hit also.

The last night- This song is very Powerful, it starts off with a nice, Piano, then guitars hit, John sings the first two parts of the verse, and then Korey does the next two, Almost like it's two people talking, this song deals with the topic Of suicide, The chorus is almost Like God talking to the person Telling them It's the last night they will spend alone. One of My fav's of the cd

Yours to hold- This song is alright, I wasn't overly impressed with this, just because it's not like Skillet, im my opinion they should've put a harder song here, and not A ballad, but I love the guitars in this song, The acoustic feel is a nice touch.

Better than Drugs- I love this song, this song is more like the skillet On collide, The song starts off with a hard guitar riff, and halfway into the verses, This awesome drum beat comes in that caught my attention right away, One of the best things about this song Is the Lyrics, There very powerful and Some of the best I've seen by Skillet. Also theres a very nice Solo from Ben in this song, Kind of short but very good, After this nice acoustic guitar kicks and John sings with just the Acoustic singing, "feel your every heartbeat, feel you on these empty nights, your the strength of my life", This song could possibly be the best on the cd

Camatose- I really enjoy this song, The message in this song was very good, And the Piano in this song, Also this song has Korey singing in the background on the chorus which was nice to hear. my favourite part of this song could possibly be, when in the second verse Jon sings, oh How I adore you, Oh How I thirst for you, Oh how I need you. I also love how In the pre chorus John Singing Camatose, I'll never wake up without an overdose, and he sings it in a very Comatose voice. And the piano Pre chorus close to the end of the song is really cool. the only thing I wish was that Ben had've put a solo in this song

The older I get- This song Is One of the slower ones on the cd, But In my opinion Its better than "Your's to hold", The chorus is Catchy, Its kind of different for Skillet though, A good Different though mostly, I love how John sings fast in this song, there not Strapped for lyrics. overall this song Is just a very good addition to the Skillet collection.

Those nights- This song almost makes me sad, Almost, If it wasn't so good. This song has the best Piano Of the cd, in the verses. I like the woo ohh's in the chorus, and the chorus is very Catchy, This song is really hard, but not Soft, It's Just a good Rock song, One that you would hear if you turned on A radio, the only part that makes me Sad, is the lyrics, Just what there talking about, makes me think back on older times, Anyways! very good song

Falling into black- Amazing Guitars, Solos, Catchy, I think this might be the hardest song on the cd besides whispers. This is kind of a dark song, But Many people could Relate to it. This is the kind of song u can Picture Skillet doing, This is what you would've expected from Skillet, When you first heard that they were making a new cd, you'd expect it 2 be hard catchy, Poetic, and this does it all, What an amazing song. The best of the cd, Possibly, defianatly top 2.

Say goodbye- A Skillet ballad? wouldn't have pictured that after collide, A good song, Not the best on the cd, but very nice piano, could be a nice song to send to your girlfriend, If you don't wanna break up I dunno, one of the best ballads I've heard them, The part that caught me, Was "I wish we could be laughing instead of standing here asking"

Whispers- Niiiiicce. Best guitars of the album, One of the best songs of the album. Best Solo Ben has ever done in my opinion. The message of the song is very appealing. Possibly the hardest song on the cd. Also The mainstream radio hit, Should be hearing it really soon on your radio.

Looking for Angels- Very different skillet song. The message in this song is completly amazing, and I like the chorus. I dunno if I'm a huge Fan of the Talking during the song, But the message that is brought across, makes me so I dont care that he's talkin, it needs to be said I'm glad hes saying it. This is a very good song, and good way to end off the cd.

Overall I'd have to give this cd about..... 95%... It's one of the best, If not the best cd I've heard this year. I don't review cds much so Im not like pro, so It might be kinda sketchy in Places, But Thats my review of Skillet hope you enjoyed it.

SaintMediocre
09-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Funny, I was going to post my review as well. Here it is.

Rebirthing:
Skillet’s first release to Christian radio is a great song. The guitar work is solid and heavy as I like it, the use of strings is impeccably done, the lyrics are meaningful, and the solo is not only sick, but flows with the song well. The vocal harmony between John and Korey is nice, although Korey’s voice sounds a little over-produced to me. John’s vocals are great in this song, with so much power and feeling behind them, especially on “Right Now” part after the choruses.
My only complaint with Rebirthing is that after the 2nd and the final choruses, Korey’s line “I come alive somehow” is echoed with heavy distortion, making it sound a lot like a guitar. In fact, it took me a few listens to realize it wasn’t a guitar playing those notes. I think it would be better with real guitar instead of distorted vocals to avoid sounding too over-produced, which I think is one of the few weaknesses of this album.

The Last Night:
This is probably my favorite song on the album. It combines dark, chilling piano, thrashing guitars, and an incredibly catchy chorus. I wasn’t expecting to like Korey singing part of each verse, but it works well and adds a unique flavor to the song. The ending with the piano is perfect, and the meaning of the song really comes across through the music. At first I didn’t really like the long pause after the bridge or the high synth notes on the 2nd verse, but they are both growing on me. My only complaint would be that I find the lyrics for the 2nd verse a little cheesy.

Yours to Hold:
This song isn’t what I expected from Skillet, but it is very good. It has wonderful harmony and a catchy chorus. The song reminds me a lot of the band Starfield, which is a good thing in this case. I like it

Better Than Drugs:
On my first listen, I wasn’t very impressed, but this song is growing on me very quickly. The chorus is catchy, and Ben comes through with great guitar work. The verses caught me off guard, with their punk-based beat and distortion effect applied to John’s voice, but I have to say I really like it. I think it is one of the better songs on the album.

Comatose:
I simply love this song. It starts similar to Rebirthing, with a string intro followed by a drum lead-in to thrashing guitars, but then dies down for the verse. The pre-chorus (“Comatose, I’ll never wake up without an overdose of you”) is probably my favorite part of this entire album, and is the part I find singing to myself all day. Wonderful song.

Older I Get
It’s a good song, very easy to chill to. It comes across as very Nickelback like, but I still I like it. The guitar tone on this song is simply perfect. My only complaint is that the same audio clip of John singing “Waiting in my room for you” is obviously copied and pasted before each chorus. Usually, copying and pasting vocals can be done without any problem, but because John sings this line in such a unique way, it is too noticeable.

Those Nights:
No. Simply no. There is absolutely nothing good about this song, and it should never have been put on this album. Second to worst Skillet song ever, right above “Ripping me Off.”

Falling Inside the Black:
I don’t really like this song, and think it is a weak point in this album. The beginning riff is great, but then the energy it creates is stopped dead for the verse. The pre-chorus (“Don’t leave me alone…”) of the song is good, but I find the chorus uninventive and unimpressive. The guitar solo is very interesting, with almost a surf-guitar feel to it, but it is followed by a weak bridge that is more delay and reverb effects than actual music. Two major issues I have with this song are the transitions, especially those halfway through each verse, which sound very boy-band like. Also, after the 2nd chorus, the same audio clip of John saying “black” is repeated 4 times in an incredibly awkward manner that subtracts a lot from the song.

Say Goodbye:
I never expected a Skillet to write a tear-jerker, but they did on this album with “Say Goodbye.” It’s not a bad song, in fact it’s very well written and recorded. It’s just not what I expected or wanted from Skillet. I think that if this song is released to pop radio / top 40, that it could be absolutely huge. Unfortunately, I doubt that Atlantic Records will take advantage of that opportunity. My only complaint is that the key change seems a little forced. Get your lighters/cell phones out and get ready to sway when you hear this one.

Whispers:
This song is just sick. Great guitars, great vocals, great everything. It should be a smash hit on rock radio. I’ll be rocking to this song for years. The only thing I don’t like about it is how half of the first verse is repeated in the intro and verse. Once again, there is that poorly done copying and pasting of audio clips. But still this song is one of the best I’ve heard… ever…

Looking for Angels:
I didn’t expect to like this song at all, but although it isn’t very Skillet-like, it is pretty good. John’s spoken word technique works well due to the rhythm and rhyme of the lyrics, and the chorus is catchy. The song definitely makes you think, and it works well to wrap up the theme of the album. I just wish I hadn’t watched the update videos, because now I hear John and Korey’s daughter in my head when the chorus is sung. And I could swear that John sings “Frough this life” instead of “Through this life” at the beginning of each chorus.

Overall this album is very strong, and a good addition to Skillet’s discography. Take out Those Nights and rewrite some of Falling into Black and you have as close to perfection as you’ll find anywhere. My only complaint is that the recording engineer was too copy-and-paste happy, which makes some parts seem overproduced. 9.0 / 10

unshakeable15
09-19-2006, 09:13 PM
(i changed the title so anyone can add their own review here for a conglomeration of review all in one thread. If you don't like it, let me or another mod know and we can change the title back.)

go_home_red
09-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Hand sanitizer kills 99.9 percent of all bacteria.

Comatose kills 100 percent of whatever the :-X it wants.

Spiffles
09-21-2006, 06:47 PM

lol,
Thats gold

amodman
09-21-2006, 09:47 PM
How do you have it?. Seriously, this isn't a klondike bar. I'd do one helluva lot more to get it...

Starbucks5721
09-22-2006, 07:40 AM

<33333333333333333333333333333333333

DarkestRose
09-22-2006, 07:49 AM
How have some people heard all of the songs already?

dawn of light
09-22-2006, 08:04 AM
People who have pre-ordered the cd got an email with an audio of stream of the whole cd. But they could only listen to it once.

DarkestRose
09-22-2006, 08:40 AM
Oh. Okay, I pre-ordered mine from Amazon.com, so that's probably why I didn't know. Thanks.

skilletfreak101
09-22-2006, 09:26 AM
Here's my review. I think the whole cd is amazing except for 2 songs. The first song I don't like is "Those Nights." Listening to songs like "Rebirthing" and "Whispers" and then hearing that song, i was pretty confused. This song is nothing like the rest of the cd. It's very poppy and very punk for other Skillet songs. I am personally kind of diapointed that they put this song on there because it really does not resemble the Skillet that I know and love. I'll never imagine seeing Skillet play this song live because it would look really really cheesy. The other song I didn't really like was "Looking For Angels." The chorus of the song is nice, but the verses, to me, are very cheesy, on how he talks rather than sings. Besides those 2 songs, I really loved the cd and I think they did an outstanding job, yet again.

nick1698
09-24-2006, 04:40 PM
This obviously is not my own review, but I thought some of you might be interested in reading this. http://wisemenpromotions.com/reviews/skillet.htm

*oops, didn't realize this was already posted in the news section

SaintMediocre
09-24-2006, 05:29 PM
How do you have it?. Seriously, this isn't a klondike bar. I'd do one helluva lot more to get it...

I pre-ordered the CD. The link brings up the entire album (in one audio file with the songs back to back) in Windows Media Player. I think it would only let you listen to the file once, closing it at the end of the track. But in the final seconds of the last song I just dragged the slider bar back to the beginning and listened again. Since I had a lot of free time, I listened to all the songs a bunch of times while doing my homework.

Unregistered
09-24-2006, 10:20 PM
i just recorded the stream and have been listening to my mp3s...

wonderful.

and "those nights" is very close to home for me....
the best friend ive ever had, who barely talks to me now,
would stay on the phone with me for 3-4 hours a night.

we would cry, laugh, pray, anything and everything to get
through those rough moments in our lives... God even used
her to deal with a suicide issue i had.

it brings back those memories, the memories of when we close.
i thank God everyday that I had a friend like her.
someday i hope i get another friend that close to me.

i love that song.

neb0789
09-25-2006, 10:05 AM
that's awesome, i didn't know you could do that.

Unregistered
09-26-2006, 03:03 PM
I got the CD today at a local bookstore, the owner put them out early (duh!!!). I really, really like the song Comatose, total rock. Yours to hold, looking for angels, and I think Those nights are all not really Skilletish. I heard them and I was like, "OK...where'd this come from?" They are good songs, but not what I'd expect from Skillet. I love how Comatose (I think it's that one) starts, they have strings and all. I started listening to it and laughed cuz I was like, "This is so awesome, I love how Skillet puts stings and rock together."

JohnnyRocker
09-27-2006, 02:46 PM
For a store to put an album out early is 100% illegal.

skilletfreak101
09-27-2006, 06:57 PM
I got the CD today at a local bookstore, the owner put them out early (duh!!!)"

what?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

Mayonnaise
09-27-2006, 07:02 PM
He has to be lying. I can only review Whispers and Rebirthing, cuz I'm saving the rest for the CD.

Rebirthing: When it first came out, heard it on the radio and loved it. I iTunesed it ASAP. One of the best songs I've heard. Very nice orchastrated start, them jammin with the guitars. The orchastra goes on for parts of the song, including the prechorus mixing with the power guitar wonderfully. The chorus is awesome, vocals and guitar.

Whispers in the Dark: And I thought Rebirthing was good! This. Song. Is. Freakin. Awesome. It starts out quiet, typical of Skillet, then goes on with very hard verses and near metal chorus. The guitar solos in some parts are just rediculous, in an awesome way. Probably the best song I've heard.

Unregistered
09-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Any reason why I pre-ordered it, got a confirmation email but not a link to listen to the album??? :(

Unregistered
09-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Sorry, I, in all honesty, didn't know it's illegal for them to sell it early. If I knew that, I probably wouldn't of bought it. I didn't think it would cause any problems, seeing as he had them out to buy early.

theTRu
09-29-2006, 09:47 AM
Hey guys,

Hope that this doesn't reek of spam or anything, but i figured it fit in this thread...

My site, TRudATmusic.com is currently featuring a double dose of Skillet on the front page, with an interview and a Walk TRu (track-by-track analysis of Comatose)...

i'd love for you all to check them out and let me know what you think...

FrontPage: http://www.trudatmusic.com
InTRuview: http://www.trudatmusic.com/inTRuview.php?i=10
Walk TRu: http://www.trudatmusic.com/walkTRu.php?w=82

peace... love... bdg...

alienyouth9292
09-29-2006, 12:46 PM
i did the same thing with the audio stream- i just started it from the beggining. to all of you "those nights" haters....- it is an awesome song

Tromos
09-29-2006, 01:03 PM
Hmmm... do I put myself out with something controversial on my first real post?

Yep. ;D

Honestly, I was somewhat disappointed by Comatose. I, too, pre-ordered it and listened through with my streaming audio. I have to say that I was so hyped after having heard Rebirthing. I thought it was the best Skillet song yet. So reminiscent of the title track from Collide (which remains my favorite Skillet song). But then I continued to listen and I felt like I was hearing Rebirthing again. And again. I love Rebirthing, but not in song after song.

I guess I just appreciate diversity in my music. The songs on Collide didn't all sound the same. Sure there was lots of heavy guitar, but having the guitar + synthesized strings in song after song on Comatose got a bit old. I felt like Skillet had made the same mistake Falling Up did when they went from Crashings to Dawn Escapes. They took one sound from the earlier album and turned it into a whole album with that sound.

All in all, Comatose is still better than most of the CDs in my collection. But I'll still reach for Collide first.

skilletfreak101
09-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Hmmm... do I put myself out with something controversial on my first real post?

Yep. ;D

Honestly, I was somewhat disappointed by Comatose. I, too, pre-ordered it and listened through with my streaming audio. I have to say that I was so hyped after having heard Rebirthing. I thought it was the best Skillet song yet. So reminiscent of the title track from Collide (which remains my favorite Skillet song). But then I continued to listen and I felt like I was hearing Rebirthing again. And again. I love Rebirthing, but not in song after song.

I guess I just appreciate diversity in my music. The songs on Collide didn't all sound the same. Sure there was lots of heavy guitar, but having the guitar + synthesized strings in song after song on Comatose got a bit old. I felt like Skillet had made the same mistake Falling Up did when they went from Crashings to Dawn Escapes. They took one sound from the earlier album and turned it into a whole album with that sound.

All in all, Comatose is still better than most of the CDs in my collection. But I'll still reach for Collide first.
i somewhat agree with you

skillet_head
10-01-2006, 11:54 PM
Due to a Christian bookstore accidently having it on the shelves too early, I received "Comatose" early for my birthday Friday! Most of the songs are great, some are taking some time to grow on me. But probably one of my faves is "Yours to hold". It's a very nice song.

Nice job once again, Skillet.

-J

planet_kosmos
10-02-2006, 12:32 AM
Nevermind, this post contradicted itself.

slu_clarkinator
10-02-2006, 02:47 PM
There are definately some great highlights on the cd (I got it in my mail today, the 2nd) in Whispers in the Dark, Rebirthing, Comatose, a lot of pretty decent stuff, and then there's Say Goodbye, which may have been pandering to the high school crowd too much. If there is a deeper meaning to the song, I would love to know it, but to me it just seems like a subpar I-wish-we-could-stay-together-but-you're-going-to-college song. While I would have liked the album to rock a little harder, this makes it eaiser to listen to it with other people around, perhaps on a roadtrip.

planet_kosmos
10-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Say Goodbye is the only song on the album which from what I've heard of it doesn't appeal to me.

riz
10-02-2006, 10:38 PM
I don't know... I didn't get that "from high school to college" feeling when I heard that song. But whatever. I still like it.

terrasin
10-03-2006, 04:42 AM
Say Goodbye (my fav song on the album), is a story about a guy and a girl who are obviously in a relationship, and the girl is moving away. But he loves her and doesn't want her to say goodbye.

If the cards are played right, this could turn into a huge breakup song that gets massive radio/video play.

CJ

DarkenedHeart
10-03-2006, 09:15 AM
amazing cd!! a friend and i went and got it as soon as the store opened this morning :)

riz
10-03-2006, 12:17 PM
I didn't care too much for the other ballads, and Looking for Angels will take some getting used to. I also am not the biggest fan of Falling Into the Black.

Okay, I think I might have to renege this statement I made. I was listening to Yours To Hold in the car, and my eyes began to water. It moved me in ways I can't explain. It might be the last words: "I'm ready when you're ready for me." Falling Into the Back and Looking For Angels are also growing on me.

Well, first impressions aren't everything.

Luke_USA
10-03-2006, 12:43 PM
I'm very impressed. Of course I already liked Whispers and Rebirthing, but there are also a lot of other good songs on this album - especially "The Last Night" and "Yours to Hold."

"Don't Say Goodbye" ...agh. Sounds great musically, but it's so devoid of any Christian message in it and is so typical of the types of songs written by Christian bands signed to a secular label. Overall I give this album a 9 out of 10.

Paulishdog
10-03-2006, 01:44 PM
I got my broken rear view mirror to bounce pretty good with Comatose. I also got some nasty glares. First time I've really had a good CD to check out my stereo system. Yeah... it rocks. Both the CD and my stereo system.

If this CD were a movie, I'd recommend seeing six times in theaters. That's how much it rocks.

neb0789
10-03-2006, 02:54 PM
If this CD were a movie, I'd recommend seeing six times in theaters. That's how much it rocks.

That means instead of listening to this cd 1,000,000 times, go ahead and listen to it 6,000,000 times!

zeroneff
10-03-2006, 03:05 PM
I have to Stick With Comatose

ImaPunk4SkilleT
10-03-2006, 03:10 PM
I love this record personally.. Alot of these songs relate to me one way or another.. and alot come close to home for me.
Skillet is a huge inspiration in my life and just to hear them sing a song that relates to me more than I know amazes me.
Skillet has done it again.. Made a great record.
and the "those nights" haters.. I love this song .. it relates to me in a way i just cant explain but it makes me cry cuz I lost a friend who was my best friend and he commited suicide. I remember all thos etimes me and him used to have.

I lvoe skillet

TheFireBreathes
10-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Here's my review. I think the whole cd is amazing except for 2 songs. The first song I don't like is "Those Nights." Listening to songs like "Rebirthing" and "Whispers" and then hearing that song, i was pretty confused. This song is nothing like the rest of the cd. It's very poppy and very punk for other Skillet songs. I am personally kind of diapointed that they put this song on there because it really does not resemble the Skillet that I know and love. I'll never imagine seeing Skillet play this song live because it would look really really cheesy. The other song I didn't really like was "Looking For Angels." The chorus of the song is nice, but the verses, to me, are very cheesy, on how he talks rather than sings. Besides those 2 songs, I really loved the cd and I think they did an outstanding job, yet again.

Really I'm totally the opposite. I love hearing cd's that are different and don't just have all hard rock sounds in them. Like AFI's DecemberUnderground.. Maybe because I like all different kinds of music, but with "Those Nights" I can sure relate to it.

For the album:

Falling Into Black is so far my favorite, kinda reminds me of Energy. And I'm really digging the lyrics for Looking For Angels.

theelectric3
10-03-2006, 04:04 PM
i love the sound, production quality, strings, guitar solos and melody lines of the cd.

favorite songs thus far:
Yours to Hold, The Last Night, Falling inside the black, Whispers, Comatose, Looking for Angels (trying something different, and i appreciate that)...

so yeah.. all of it. hah! i'm so bad at picking favorites. heh.

i think they have reason to be proud of this cd. i do not believe it all sounds the same. i think this cd will do really well.

theinvaded
10-03-2006, 04:32 PM
Comatose...is really good.

I'm really relieved. I didn't like the 30 second clips I heard of the new material before its release, but I tried not to let myself come to an early conclusion before hearing it all as a whole.

Turns out, Comatose rocks. "Rebirthing" and "The Last Night" are so awesome. GO KOREY. And I love "Looking For Angels". Most of the rest of the material is pretty darn good too. Nice work Skillet.

GuitarHero
10-03-2006, 06:38 PM
i love the cd whispers is the best, but i don't like looking for angels. idk how to explain it except as sort of an emo rap? well whatever that sort of talk sing thing john did, just didn't work, in my opinion

JohnnyRocker
10-03-2006, 06:47 PM
I LOVE "Say Goodbye," it's one of my favorite songs on the album.

Sometimes overanalyzing or overthinking an album can make you not like it so much; then, one day when you're listening and not really paying attention, you'll realize how much you like one of the songs when you never really realized how good it was before.

rkcguitar
10-03-2006, 06:56 PM
I got the last copy of Comatose at the local Best Buy here, haha. At first I couldn't find it and I was like man, I'll have to wait, but I looked further and saw one copy left. Let's just say that I grabbed it real fast, lol. I love the cd, every aspect of it. The only song I don't care for is Say Goodbye. I don't know why, but it just doesn't appeal to me. My favorites are Falling Into The Black, Better Than My Drugs & Comatose. I really do think that the lyrics on this record are better than the ones on Collide. You can tell that John spent a lot of time on them. The mixture of rock songs and kind of mellowed out songs balances it out. I didn't think it would, but it does. The Older I Get, Yours To Hold & Those Nights are my favorite slow type songs. It's a great cd, not what I expected and I didn't think that I would like it as much as Collide, but I do. This record surprised me and that's a good thing! I'll give a further song by song review later. By the way, the person who talked about how Yours to Hold brought tears to their eyes well it did the same to me. That song's lyrics are amazing and I relate to it so much.

terrasin
10-03-2006, 07:10 PM
"Don't Say Goodbye" ...agh. Sounds great musically, but it's so devoid of any Christian message in it and is so typical of the types of songs written by Christian bands signed to a secular label. Overall I give this album a 9 out of 10.
Why should every song by a Christian band have to have a Jesus message in it?

CJ

rkcguitar
10-03-2006, 07:16 PM

CJ
I guess that's a requirement by religious people, haha. Actually I think a song means more if the artist just writes what they want to and what is in their heart. Don't put Jesus in there just cause you think you have to. I write songs all the time and not one of them have the name Jesus in it, but majority of them are about Jesus. A song doesn't have to have the name Jesus in it for it to be about Him. Songs are personal things that come from the heart so sometimes they're just about things people go through. Like I wrote a song just recently about this relationship that went bad and I didn't wanna have feelings anymore, lol. I just wrote what I felt at the time. Songs don't always have to come out saying Jesus this and Jesus that. Sometimes they do and that's fine, but sometimes songs aren't about that and that's fine too just as long as you stay true to your message and what you're about.

Paulishdog
10-03-2006, 07:17 PM
I agree. I'd rather have a clear secular message than a vague christian one, like Meant to Live.

rkcguitar
10-03-2006, 07:23 PM
I agree. I'd rather have a clear secular message than a vague christian one, like Meant to Live.
Totally! That song is a great example. That's why I love Switchfoot cause the lyrics are great. You know what they're talking about without them coming out and saying it.

Paulishdog
10-03-2006, 07:29 PM
I should have been a little more clear.

Don't get me wrong, I love Meant to Live. I think it has a great Christian message. However, I was using that song as an example of a song with a vague Christian message. Again, it's a great song, but the message isn't clear to the secular audience.

Let me bring this back on topic. Say Goodbye is a great song because the message is clear. And I think a lot of us can relate to it, Christians and non- alike.

rkcguitar
10-03-2006, 07:34 PM
I should have been a little more clear.

Don't get me wrong, I love Meant to Live. I think it has a great Christian message. However, I was using that song as an example of a song with a vague Christian message. Again, it's a great song, but the message isn't clear to the secular audience.

Let me bring this back on topic. Say Goodbye is a great song because the message is clear. And I think a lot of us can relate to it, Christians and non- alike.
Oh, ok. Sorry I misunderstood ya. Yea, I know what you're saying. Like a lot of people I know didn't know that Relient K is a Christian band just because their songs aren't clear about who they are. They used to be, but that's a different story all together. Don't get me started on that, lol. Anyways that's why I love Skillet because their message is clear in their songs. I think a lot of people can relate to their music.

Tromos
10-04-2006, 06:31 AM
Anyways that's why I love Skillet because their message is clear in their songs.

Strange. I always found Collide's message to be rather vague. I don't recall a single instance of "Jesus", "God", or "Lord" on the entire CD. I might have missed it though.

And I would never expect Skillet to always have Christian-focused messages. Open Wounds is an example of an amazing song that has nothing to do with God and everything to do with John.

As for Comatose - still waiting for my stoopid pre-order >:(

neb0789
10-04-2006, 09:52 AM
what does everyone think open wounds is about?

Tromos
10-04-2006, 10:01 AM
Open Wounds, as I understood it, was about John Cooper and his growing up in a house with an alcoholic father.

Why?

Because John said so:

and it just reminded me that I really had wanted to write a song on this record about my relationship with my own Dad and how I felt growing up. And even how it's gotten better and how God's really redeemed that relationship. And that's how it started, really. I didn't want it to be too dark, but I thought there are so many people going through what I went through in high school, that even if it was really dark, and you can't find the Christian message in "Open Wounds," it's not really about that. It's about 'this is how I felt and I wanted it to end.'

rkcguitar
10-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Strange. I always found Collide's message to be rather vague. I don't recall a single instance of "Jesus", "God", or "Lord" on the entire CD. I might have missed it though.

And I would never expect Skillet to always have Christian-focused messages. Open Wounds is an example of an amazing song that has nothing to do with God and everything to do with John.

The lyrics on Comatose are Skillet's best yet, at least I think so. Some songs are about God and whatnot and some songs aren't. Every song doesn't have to be about God for it to have a good message. Well some songs of Skillet's aren't very clear, but clearer than others. I really do think that's why Comatose is Skillet's best album yet and that's a lot coming from me cause I love Collide and still do, lol.

theelectric3
10-04-2006, 02:27 PM
Open Wounds, as I understood it, was about John Cooper and his growing up in a house with an alcoholic father.

Why?

Because John said so:

off topic, but the quote you give never makes the notion of his Dad being alcoholic... (i don't want this thread to derail about analyzing someone we don't know...i'm just wondering where you got that assumption.)
--

after hearing the CD more, i love every bit of it. in every way.

Luke_USA
10-04-2006, 04:31 PM

CJ

It's about who we're tyring to please with our music and worship. I just heard the interview in the other thread where John explains why they recorded the song. While he explained it well, I still have a hard time accepting this type of song being marketed by a Christian band. Is this one for the people, or is this one for the Lord? (to quote a famous DC talk song).

I guess what I'm getting at is...I don't have a problem with lyrics talking about two people breaking up - Lord knows I can relate to such experiences. It's just that, in doing so, I believe there should be an effort to put some sort of godly message in the song. Really, how many songs have been written by secular bands over the years about breaking up with someone, yet offer no real message of hope? I just think Skillet missed out an opportunity here with this song, because it otherwise sounds great.

My $.02. Your mileage may vary. :)

Luke_USA
10-04-2006, 04:34 PM
I guess that's a requirement by religious people, haha.

I don't consider myself "religious" at all, but rather a sinner that's been given a second chance by the Lord. As for the song itself, my thoughts are in the above post.

neb0789
10-04-2006, 05:53 PM
oh, thanks for the input on open wounds, i hadn't heard that. well, for say goodbye, i like it the way it is

rkcguitar
10-04-2006, 06:35 PM
oh, thanks for the input on open wounds, i hadn't heard that. well, for say goodbye, i like it the way it is
I agree. Not every song has to be about God or has to have a godly message in it.

Tromos
10-04-2006, 06:35 PM
off topic, but the quote you give never makes the notion of his Dad being alcoholic... (i don't want this thread to derail about analyzing someone we don't know...i'm just wondering where you got that assumption.)

You're right. I probably mixed up stories with Joseph Rojas' father. Maybe it was just teenage angst.

Thanks for catching that. I'd hate to spread bad info like that.

KaiserZr
10-04-2006, 11:34 PM
since everyone seems to be putting their reviews here I guess I will too. First up my favorite song on the entire cd is "Whispers" by far...if I had to give a second place then I guess that would go to "Rebirthing". I also liked "Comatose" and "Falling Inside the Black", but I couldn't get into "Looking for Angels." I liked what he had to say, but the last time I listened to a song with spoken word was.....man I can't even remember it just threw me off...but honestly this cd as a whole threw me off...I guess it is because I have allways liked their older stuff "Hey You..." to "Alien Youth", but now their sound is so different it is like I don't even know them anymore... Sadly no one in my youth group ever really liked them untill they changed their sound in Collide. I don't it just all seems weird to me... musically it well produced and when it comes to guitars it is better, but for me I never liked them because their guitarist was an excellent soloist are anything...for me it was just different and stirred something up inside me... for me nothing well ever give me the feelings as "The Thirst is Taking Over", "Scarecrow", or "Angels Fall Down"(both versions) Now I don't feel anything when I listen to them.

I miss the old skillet and I will allways love and support the band, but now they allmost feel like every other mainstream rock band... Just isn't the same.

Unregistered
10-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Guys, I'm sorry, but this new record is awful...the harder songs all suffer from sameness and are so slickly produced you can't even feel the drums or the keyboards, and the slower material is gag-worthy, hookless ccm-y punk-pop...

Sorry if that is so harsh, but its how I feel right now...I hope I eat my words eventually, if this record grows on me, but right now, I can't stand Comatose.

JohnnyRocker
10-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Hookless? I think this record probably has stronger hooks than any of their other ones.

DarkestRose
10-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Guys, I'm sorry, but this new record is awful...the harder songs all suffer from sameness and are so slickly produced you can't even feel the drums or the keyboards, and the slower material is gag-worthy, hookless ccm-y punk-pop...

Sorry if that is so harsh, but its how I feel right now...I hope I eat my words eventually, if this record grows on me, but right now, I can't stand Comatose.

The harder songs aren't all the same though. Lyrically, "Rebirthing" is about second chances whereas "Comatose" is about waking up and "Whispers" is about the love of God (or another relationship). Even musically, they don't sound the same and I thought the drums rocked, I could feel them at least. I also thought the hooks were stronger on this album than any of Skillet's previous albums.

Also, I think I saw almost this same exact post on another thread, nearly word-for-word. So why aren't you registered if you're gonna post over and over again? Or if you are registered, why aren't you signed in? Because, to me, it's kind of annoying for you to be dissing on the album when you're not even really signed in.

terrasin
10-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Also, I think I saw almost this same exact post on another thread, nearly word-for-word. So why aren't you registered if you're gonna post over and over again? Or if you are registered, why aren't you signed in? Because, to me, it's kind of annoying for you to be dissing on the album when you're not even really signed in.
I've learned to not pay attention to anything any people say who do it unregistered. Either they are too lazy to make themselves an identity, or they are someone who doesn't have the guts to slap their name on their opinion. Either way, it's pretty meaningless to me.

CJ

pizza brain
10-05-2006, 09:51 PM
I love Comatose! The cd is yet another change and all the difrent styles of music they play is 1/2 the reason I love skillet soo much! The cd has something I was hopping for that I thought I'd never hear them do,pop punk :) It also has some really slow raping in Looking For Angles which I love! jk :P it's talking but if he'd sped that up a little it would've been rap and I would've flipping kissed that cd repeatedly jk. but seriously the cd has a great feel and is the best Christian rock cd of the year and second isn't even close!

planet_kosmos
10-06-2006, 03:30 AM
I love Comatose! The cd is yet another change and all the difrent styles of music they play is 1/2 the reason I love skillet soo much! The cd has something I was hopping for that I thought I'd never hear them do,pop punk :) It also has some really slow raping in Looking For Angles which I love! jk :P it's talking but if he'd sped that up a little it would've been rap and I would've flipping kissed that cd repeatedly jk. but seriously the cd has a great feel and is the best Christian rock cd of the year and second isn't even close!

No! Skillet + Rap = Unskillet!

terrasin
10-06-2006, 04:58 AM
Why does everyone keep calling it rap?

Spoken word is a form of literary art or artistic performance in which lyrics, poetry, or stories are spoken rather than sung. Spoken-word is often done with a musical background, but emphasis is kept on the speaker.

One of the most common sorts of spoken word performances is performance poetry, where a poet either reads previously-published poems, or reads poems specifically written to be performed aloud. Another kind that has gained popularity in recent years is political and social commentary, done in such a way that it is, while still prose, somewhat more artistic than a typical speech. Spoken word artists are often poets and musicians. Spoken word gained notoriety in the late 1980s and early 1990s through the emergence of "poetry slams," where spoken word artists would square off in cabaret-style duels.

Thanks Wiki!

CJ

dawn of light
10-06-2006, 07:05 AM
Why does everyone keep calling it rap?
When Karl first heard Angels he jokingly said "what?? haha, he's rapping!" So I promptly gave him "the look" and said "it's not rap! it's spoken word." ;)

In general I really like this cd. Although I do have one complaint about it. I feel like it's only marketed to high school kids. Has Skillet forgotten about their older fans? (I don't usually describe myself as "older" I'm only 21, but high school was a long time ago). The Last Night, Those Nights and Say Goodbye both seem to be very "teenager" focused. Not that I don't like those songs...

Does anyone else feel that way? I know someone mentioned about Say Goodbye how it has the "out of high school going to college" feel. Why does listening to these songs make me feel too old for them even though I'm only 21?

My favourite songs on this cd are Rebirthing, Whispers, Comatose, The Last Night and Angels.

go_home_red
10-06-2006, 09:15 AM
I feel like it's only marketed to high school kids. Has Skillet forgotten about their older fans? (I don't usually describe myself as "older" I'm only 21, but high school was a long time ago). The Last Night, Those Nights and Say Goodbye both seem to be very "teenager" focused. Not that I don't like those songs...

Does anyone else feel that way? I know someone mentioned about Say Goodbye how it has the "out of high school going to college" feel. Why does listening to these songs make me feel too old for them even though I'm only 21?

I don’t think John forgot about us old folks. While the messages of “The Last Night” and “Those Nights” are relevant to the younger crowd, the perspectives of “The Older I Get” and “Say Goodbye” mean far more to me now than they would have 5-10 years ago. Of course, if I was 5-10 years younger, I don’t think I would own up to that.

TheFireBreathes
10-06-2006, 01:36 PM
When Karl first heard Angels he jokingly said "what?? haha, he's rapping!" So I promptly gave him "the look" and said "it's not rap! it's spoken word." ;)

In general I really like this cd. Although I do have one complaint about it. I feel like it's only marketed to high school kids. Has Skillet forgotten about their older fans? (I don't usually describe myself as "older" I'm only 21, but high school was a long time ago). The Last Night, Those Nights and Say Goodbye both seem to be very "teenager" focused. Not that I don't like those songs...

My favourite songs on this cd are Rebirthing, Whispers, Comatose, The Last Night and Angels.

I've heard John talk numerous times about teen suicide and how much it breaks his heart. Maybe their focus or call on this album is to reach those kids.

planet_kosmos
10-06-2006, 01:44 PM
I don’t think John forgot about us old folks. While the messages of “The Last Night” and “Those Nights” are relevant to the younger crowd, the perspectives of “The Older I Get” and “Say Goodbye” mean far more to me now than they would have 5-10 years ago. Of course, if I was 5-10 years younger, I don’t think I would own up to that.

I'm ten years younger :P . Ok, So Say Goodbye isn't my favourite (australian spelling ;D ) song in the world but I do like The Older I Get.

GuitarHero
10-06-2006, 01:55 PM
i think it is great except for the last song. skillet doesn't do that style of music

planet_kosmos
10-06-2006, 02:11 PM
i think it is great except for the last song. skillet doesn't do that style of music

The Last Song was Brilliant! But your entitled to your opinion.

riz
10-06-2006, 07:36 PM
I dunno, my two favourite songs on this album that spoke to me are The Last Night and Say Goodbye... and I just graduated college.

These songs could apply to anyone who might be hurting (even though 'parents' are mentioned in The Last Night), or to anyone in a relationship or is moving away (for Say Goodbye). It depends on how you look at the lyrics, and how you interpret them.

dawn of light
10-07-2006, 06:29 AM
Ok thanks. I was just wondering how other people felt. Brett, you're very right about that also.

I dunno, my two favourite songs on this album that spoke to me are The Last Night and Say Goodbye... and I just graduated college.

Ok cool. I love those songs too. I'll just have to stop focusing on the wrong thing and focus on how awesome the music is!

korey_cooper_jr
10-07-2006, 10:31 AM
I don't quite understand the meaning behind Yours To Hold. I understand the verses are like God talking to someone. In the pre-chorus, it says "But I know that I could be the one to hold you" and then in the chorus John switches it up and says "I was yours to hold". To me, I see how God could hold us. But for us to hold God, I just don't really get it. Is this what John's trying to say though? That God, the creator of the universe, is "ours to hold"?

Yours To Hold
-----------------
Verse 1:
I see you standing here
But you’re so far away
Starving for your attention
You don’t even know my name

You’re going through so much
But I know that I could be the one to hold you

Chorus:
Every single day
I find it hard to say
I could be yours alone
You will see someday
That all along the way
I was yours to hold
I was yours to hold

Verse 2:
I see you walking by
Your hair always hiding your face
I wonder why you’ve been hurting
I wish I had some way to say

You’re going through so much
Don’t you know that I will be the one to hold you

Bridge:
I’m stretching but you’re just out of reach
You should know
I’m ready when you’re ready for me
And I’m waiting for the right time
For the day I catch your eye
To let you know
That I’m yours to hold

Altro:
I'm stretching but you're just out of reach
I'm ready when you're ready for me

TheFireBreathes
10-07-2006, 10:55 AM

Nope, I don't remember hearing those either. Listen to Pillar's album WDWGFH. There's no Lord, Jesus, or God in there. But there is a You. Just because albums have a Christian message in them, doesn't mean they have to mention God's names. Sometimes when songs say Jesus, Lord, or God in them, it scares away non-Christians rather than bringing them in to dig deeper into the lyrics.

amodman
10-07-2006, 09:50 PM
You know the one thing that really annoys me about Comatose? IT MAKES ME WANT MORE!!!! Argh, not just Skillet in general, but the flippin awsome strings and orchestrated rock...I almost want more strings, really, lol. I larves it.

darkscion
10-08-2006, 12:50 AM
The harder songs aren't all the same though. Lyrically, "Rebirthing" is about second chances whereas "Comatose" is about waking up and "Whispers" is about the love of God (or another relationship). Even musically, they don't sound the same and I thought the drums rocked, I could feel them at least. I also thought the hooks were stronger on this album than any of Skillet's previous albums.

Sorries, I posted it in two places because I thought the first did not go through, which is why they were the same post.

Yeah, I used to post here a lot on a different screen name. Long, long time ago though.

I still love Skillet. I spin my copies of Collide and Hey, You very often. But the new record just does not work for me. The ballads feel flat, the harder material all feels the same, and the production is just too perfect. I think Skillet is a far better "rock" band than a "pop" band, and they lean more towards the latter on a lot of this album.

But who knows. Maybe it'll suddenly click with me soon. But right now I'm very disappointed. I mean this was the last record I was really looking forward to this year, from one of my favorite bands that has been dormant for three years. So hopefully that explains why I'm kind of reacting harsher than I probably should be about Comatose...I still like Skillet, just not this new record.

terrasin
10-08-2006, 04:22 AM
I don't quite understand the meaning behind Yours To Hold. I understand the verses are like God talking to someone. In the pre-chorus, it says "But I know that I could be the one to hold you" and then in the chorus John switches it up and says "I was yours to hold". To me, I see how God could hold us. But for us to hold God, I just don't really get it. Is this what John's trying to say though? That God, the creator of the universe, is "ours to hold"?
Err, this is one of the love songs on the album. It doesn't really have a spiritual/God message in it. Moreso, it's more of a story song.

CJ

korey_cooper_jr
10-08-2006, 05:38 AM
Err, this is one of the love songs on the album. It doesn't really have a spiritual/God message in it. Moreso, it's more of a story song.

CJ

Ahhh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up for me, CJ :)

skynes
10-08-2006, 11:10 AM
To be blunt. I think Comatose stinks lyrically. I mean really really badly stinks.

Reading the past 6 pages of this thread only proves the point.

NOONE KNOWS WHAT THE SONGS ARE ABOUT!!

The reason I loved Skillet of AY days was their blunt message. Whatever they were singing about you KNEW it, Christian, non-Christian didn't matter. You heard it and you understood it.

I don't expect every single Christian song to be all worshippey - I love you Jesus stuff. but I do expect it to be clear when it is and when it is not about God.

Frankly Comatose fails there utterly.

I've read through the lyrics for the whole album multiple times and the only reason I knew Rebirthing and Whispers in the Dark where about God is because I have a Biblical understanding of the world. Anyone else won't get it. What will they think it's about?

An Emo-esque doomed relationship of a guy and a girl (or guy and guy or girl/girl, depending on the listener).

Past few posts prove it further.

Yours to Hold, a love song, misunderstood to be a Christian message when it's not.

Why so vague? What happened to the clear concise wordings?

I remember when the Skillet going secular thing was announced, some people were afraid that their lyrics and message would be heavily watered down as a result. I wasn't, cause I was sure Skillet would still be Skillet.

I've been proven wrong.

Comatose lyrics = wishy washy, watered down, gospel inspired love songs.

----------

On the other side, musically, I love it. I like the mix of orchestra and rock, always have. Comatose hits the nail on the head with a mix of styles and music playing. Performed beautifully.

I just wish the lyrics didn't drag it down so far.

terrasin
10-08-2006, 11:44 AM
To be blunt. I think Comatose stinks lyrically. I mean really really badly stinks.
*snip*
Comatose lyrics = wishy washy, watered down, gospel inspired love songs.
Funny, I never had a problem discerning the meaning of the songs. They are all pretty blatantly clear. The problem lies not with the lyrics, but the people who are trying to look for some deeper hidden meaning, much like a lot of Christians do with the Bible.

You can call it watered down, I call it brilliance. It has a draw from both crowds, those who see it from the Biblical perspective, and those who can appriciate the art through the words. I think a lot of people had expectations that weren't met. And it's quite obvious you can't please everyone. Look at all the people who complained because it wasn't as hard as they wanted or that John didn't scream enough...

CJ

dawn of light
10-09-2006, 11:17 AM
To me, the lyrics of Rebirthing, Comatose, Better Than Drugs, and Falling Inside the Black are pretty clear. They're about Jesus. They're not vague. Someone who doesn't know Jesus wouldn't necessarily know what they're about but that's the beauty of it. They won't know what the lyrics are about and hopefully they'll dig deeper to find out. When I listen to these lyrics I can't help but thinking about Jesus.

Although I did wonder if Yours to Hold was a regular love song or a song with a Christian message. It doesn't really matter though because depending on what the listener is going through it could be a love song between a man or a woman or a love song between Christ and His followers.

iloveskillet
10-09-2006, 12:12 PM
I just adore the entire thing. ;D

jawaswrath
10-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Funny, I never had a problem discerning the meaning of the songs. They are all pretty blatantly clear.

CJ

I agree completly

skynes
10-09-2006, 10:49 PM
I must believe
I must believe (x3)

Go, go, go
Go, go, go
Go, go, go

Say Jesus is doing nothing,
Say evolution took his place.
There's no God who created the world,
and no Savior for the human race.

Say God is powerless,
He laughs aloud as we cry in pain.
It's just a part of His sick, sick humor,
Forcing us to appreciate.

Chorus:
You say that God is dead
But you're rippin me off!
You can't infect my mind with your vanity.
You say that God is dead
But you're rippin me off!
You can't infect my love with your vanity.
You're rippin me off!
You're rippin me off!
You're rippin me off!
You're rippin me off!

Go, go, go
Go, go, go
Go, go, go
Go, go, go

I must believe
I must believe

They say God doesn't even exist,
We made Him up just to numb our pain.
They can't believe in a loving God,
Who doesn't believe in an atheist!

CHORUS

Go, go, go
Go, go, go
Go, go, go

We take too much, we take too much
We take too much, we take too much

--- Skillet - Rippin me off

despite the lies that you're making
your love is mine for the taking
my love is
just waiting
to turn your tears to roses

i will be the one that's gonna hold you
i will be the one that you run to
my love is
a burning, consuming fire

Chorus:
No
you'll never be alone
when darkness comes I'll light the night with stars
hear my whispers in the dark
No
you'll never be alone
when darkness comes you know I'm never far
hear my whispers in the dark

you feel so lonely and ragged
you lay here broken and naked
my love is
just waiting
to clothe you in crimson roses

i will be the one that's gonna find you
i will be the one that's gonna guide you
my love is
a burning, consuming fire
-- Skillet -- Whispers

Rippin me Off, exceedingly clear. You'd need to be totally ignorant to not see what the song is about.

and then Whispers...
Ok us as Christians will (mostly) know it's talking from God's perspective.

But what of unbelievers?

I, I'm invincible
I'm indestructible
It's my destiny

I, I'm invincible
I'm unshakeable
Through the truth in my soul

Chorus:
You know you just can't kill a man when he's dead
You know the spirit survives (invincible)
You can't stop the advance of the Kingdom to come
You know the truth is alive (invincible)

To be invincible
Is unattainable
Without sacrifice

Feel, feel the birth inside
The life that cannot die
Are you invincible

CHORUS

Invincible-Invincible

You know you can't kill a man when he¹s dead
You know you can't

CHORUS (repeat)

You know you can't kill a man when he's dead
Skillet - Invincible

Invincible... again clearer than clear.

Someone who doesn't know Jesus wouldn't necessarily know what they're about but that's the beauty of it.

No that's NOT the beauty of it! That's my very problem with it!

You don't hide the Gospel under a love song. You don't put a lamp under a basket and hide it. You make it open and loud.

Like I said, just because Skillet is a Christian band doesn't mean every single song needs to be about Jesus.
If they wanna make a love song about a guy and girl, with the girl moving away, thats fine. I don't mind.

I mind when a 'supposedly' Christ-oriented song is written vaguely and hidden under a love song.

They won't know what the lyrics are about and hopefully they'll dig deeper to find out.

They'll look at them, see a love song, and leave it at that. I really doubt anyone will look deeper at it than that other than Christians.

It doesn't really matter though because depending on what the listener is going through it could be a love song between a man or a woman or a love song between Christ and His followers.

This is Post-Modernism, taking what you want from a song or book, making it mean what you want it to mean.

Which makes it matter more and makes the situation worse.

Lol, sorry if it looks like I was picking on you Dawn, you just happened, in a single post, to say every reason why I don't like the lyrics of this album.

planet_kosmos
10-09-2006, 11:06 PM
This is Post-Modernism, taking what you want from a song or book, making it mean what you want it to mean.

Which makes it matter more and makes the situation worse.

I agree. When listneing to a song the idea behind the lyrics is to understand them the way the writer of the song intended for them to be understood, yes?

Shouldn't it be more obvious what the writer was intending?

DarkestRose
10-09-2006, 11:13 PM
You are right that "Whispers" is not as blatant of a song as most of Skillet's previous records. Though, I do believe that on their previous records, Skillet had aimed their songs toward the church. So of course the songs would be more liberal in stating "God" "Jesus" and singing about Christian themes like maintaining holiness and being radical for Christ and everything. Those are all great albums and I have been very enthused by Skillet’s passion for God which has helped kindle my own.

I think Comatose sort of echoes Collide in the sense that it is more interpretable in the lyrics. But I think the reason for this is because this album is aimed more toward hurting people. Some people from certain backgrounds may be turned off from a song that is flagrantly "religious" versus a song that just gives a positive message and sense of hope.

I do believe there could be hope that someone would find a deeper meaning in the song simply because it is likely they will hear from somewhere (friend, website, whatever) that the song is about Jesus. But even if they don’t, it is nice to think that there would be a more positive song circling in a media market where a lot of bands have a "life sucks" approach that plays off of people’s insecurities. I think Skillet is really becoming a light in a dark world, so I am really excited for that.

planet_kosmos
10-09-2006, 11:38 PM
a song that just gives a positive message and sense of hope.

Hope in what? John presumably writes about hope in Jesus. But this 'hope' these people find, that these non-christians find. What would their hope be in from these songs if they don't mention God?

skynes
10-10-2006, 12:53 AM
You are right that "Whispers" is not as blatant of a song as most of Skillet's previous records. Though, I do believe that on their previous records, Skillet had aimed their songs toward the church. So of course the songs would be more liberal in stating "God" "Jesus" and singing about Christian themes like maintaining holiness and being radical for Christ and everything. Those are all great albums and I have been very enthused by Skillet’s passion for God which has helped kindle my own.

I think Comatose sort of echoes Collide in the sense that it is more interpretable in the lyrics. But I think the reason for this is because this album is aimed more toward hurting people. Some people from certain backgrounds may be turned off from a song that is flagrantly "religious" versus a song that just gives a positive message and sense of hope.

I do believe there could be hope that someone would find a deeper meaning in the song simply because it is likely they will hear from somewhere (friend, website, whatever) that the song is about Jesus. But even if they don’t, it is nice to think that there would be a more positive song circling in a media market where a lot of bands have a "life sucks" approach that plays off of people’s insecurities. I think Skillet is really becoming a light in a dark world, so I am really excited for that.

I'm glad Skillet has helped you in your Walk with God. I know it's helped many people here (myself included).

Some people from certain backgrounds may be turned off from a song that is flagrantly "religious" versus a song that just gives a positive message and sense of hope.

I understand what you're saying. But without hope in Christ, all you have is a false hope. One that will end you up in hell. No hope, false hope, both find their end in the lake of fire.

So of course the songs would be more liberal in stating "God" "Jesus" and singing about Christian themes like maintaining holiness and being radical for Christ and everything.

Yes, a Christian oriented album aimed at the church would be more aimed at topics such as holiness and being different from the world etc.

I think Comatose sort of echoes Collide in the sense that it is more interpretable in the lyrics.

What is there in the lyrics that points people to Christ? Where in the lyrics can they find that Skillet are speaking about God?

Yes they speak of suffering and pain, but where do they point to the answer to the pain? Where is the solution given in Christ?

Some would say - the thank yous at the end. It shows they're Christians.

Many artists today thank Jesus at award givings and thank yous, but it doesn't mean anything..

I do believe there could be hope that someone would find a deeper meaning in the song simply because it is likely they will hear from somewhere (friend, website, whatever) that the song is about Jesus. But even if they don’t, it is nice to think that there would be a more positive song circling in a media market where a lot of bands have a "life sucks" approach that plays off of people’s insecurities. I think Skillet is really becoming a light in a dark world, so I am really excited for that

You're relying on chance here a bit too much. Do you really want to leave people's salvation down to the chance that someone will tell them what a song means?

Why not just make it clear in the first place?

The Media does not NEED a positive message, the Media needs Christ.
You can have all the positive messages you want, but if you don't believe the Gospel you're still damned.

Singing that you understand people's pain and loneliness is nice. But that's all it is. It's the Gospel which is the power of God unto salvation, not understanding lyrics.

Without pointing to Christ you accomplish nothing.

DarkestRose
10-10-2006, 04:24 AM
Absolutely the only hope we have and the only thing we can boast about is Christ crucified, resurrected and alive right here, right now, fresh start (to borrow a quote from Lacey Mosley). So of course the only eternal hope that anybody is going to find is going to be in salvation in Christ. No arguments about that. And helping others find Christ is the most important thing.

I think it helps to meet people where they are at though. The truth is that the world is messed up and people are messed up. I think if we expect people to come to Christ, people have to feel accepted. I think a lot of people resent Christianity because it doesn’t look so much like Jesus as it looks like righteous and holy people who judge everybody. Really the Body of Christ is made up of dysfunctional sinners who have found hope in Christ, but they don’t see that, so they avoid Christians. I get really frustrated when Christians keep evangelism in the box of "when you die are you going to heaven or hell?" "are you saved?" etc…. I think non-Christians often feel nervous around Christians because of the fear that all they really care about is converting them. I think non-Christians really need to know that we relate to them, that we have concern for them and that we care.

I think it sort of becomes a paradox that acceptance/love/hope without Christ is nothing, but you need to be giving those things over in order to lead someone toward Christ.

dieingdaylight
10-10-2006, 04:55 AM
Im glad Skillet didnt mention God in Comatose. And I hate how kids think in order for a band to be a Christian you need to have Jesus or God or anything relateing to Christianty in there songs in order for them to be a Christian band. In my honest opion I kinda did'nt like Comatose at first but when I got the cd I think its one of there best cds. It talks about hurts and pains and sometimes God brings those into our lives for us to go to him and ask help. SO back onto Comatose. It has a message of pain than there is always a message of hope in songs. A non beliver that likes this cd will probly want to go see Skillet perform live and if you ever seen Skillet live the take time to mention why the do what the do and give the glory to God.

john316
10-10-2006, 06:02 AM
I have finally decided to throw in my .02 concerning Comatose. Overall I like it musically…yes it is different from earlier works but overall I think its very good.

I must admit I am a little confused by some of the lyrics and was maybe a little disappointed that angels were mentioned but not God but I have faith in John that he put prayer into his writings and just because the song didn’t minister to me doesn’t mean it wont touch somebody’s life. I feel that actions speak louder then words so as long as Skillet continues to reach out to people I feel all is well.

I do wonder why it seems like some artist feel like mentioning God or Jesus automatically is the kiss of death to the mainstream market because that’s not always the case. I give Mercyme’s “ I can only Imagine” and Carrie Underwood’s “Jesus take the wheel” as two examples. Now don’t get me wrong I don’t feel that a artist has to mention God in every song to be effective but I think if they give it prayer God can work things out in ways that they would never have expected.

So for what its worth there’s my take on some of this.

terrasin
10-10-2006, 06:19 AM
Skyness, the problem with your theroy is that they wouldn't be reaching nearly as many people if they continued making music like AY. The only people who would listen to it for the most part would be Christians. This has been proven time and time again within mainstream media. Bands that have lyrics like that will get no exposure where they need it.

In the case of Skillet, the absolute majority of people who went to their shows, even through the Collide tour, were Christians who were already saved. So how is that helping reach people? They would still be on the Christian section here in the USA as well where they are now in with all the other cds. There is a lot more to it, but I firmly believe they are doing the right thing and taking the right approach.

CJ

skynes
10-10-2006, 09:21 AM
dieingdaylight read my posts. You'd see that being Christians in a band and not mentioning Jesus has nothing to do with my argument.

A non beliver that likes this cd will probly want to go see Skillet perform live and if you ever seen Skillet live the take time to mention why the do what the do and give the glory to God.

There are many people who would hear this CD and be unable to go to a concert, be it lack of money or too far away or other commitments etc. That's many people who are missing out.

Skyness, the problem with your theroy is that they wouldn't be reaching nearly as many people if they continued making music like AY.

I don't mind them changing the focus or the style. But I do want clarity not ambiguity and Comatose is ambiguous.

The only people who would listen to it for the most part would be Christians. This has been proven time and time again within mainstream media. Bands that have lyrics like that will get no exposure where they need it.

So it's a case of - include Jesus and the world will ignore you.
Drop Jesus and the world will praise you?

Could you explain would you mean there cause it sounds like that, but I don't think you meant it.

In the case of Skillet, the absolute majority of people who went to their shows, even through the Collide tour, were Christians who were already saved. So how is that helping reach people?

Sorry I don't see your point... How does Christians going to their concerts affect helping people? I'd bet a lot of this Christians already knew Skillet. So it'd be more an advertising problem not a lyrical one.

They would still be on the Christian section here in the USA as well where they are now in with all the other cds. There is a lot more to it, but I firmly believe they are doing the right thing and taking the right approach.

I don't see how making a Christian message look like a non-Christian message is a good approach. It's deceptive really. Why hide it?

planet_kosmos
10-10-2006, 07:44 PM
I don't see how making a Christian message look like a non-Christian message is a good approach. It's deceptive really. Why hide it?

Exactly, God is why Skillet play, God is the focus of the music. Why use general terms such as:

Better than Drugs-
You’re better than drugs
Comatose-
I hate living without you
Dead wrong to ever doubt you
But my demons lay in waiting
Tempting me away
Oh how I adore you
Oh how I thirst for you
Oh how I need you

as opposed to:

Rippin Me Off-
They say Jesus is doing nothing
They say evolution took His place
There's no God that created the world and
No Savior for the human race

They say God is powerless
He laughs aloud as we cry in pain
It's just a part of his sick, sick humor
Forcing us to appreciate

Alien Youth-
Worldwide Jesus domination
Love conquers all
Rise like a chosen generation
There's no stopping it all
Come on freaks let's go
Come on freaks let's go
Get all the freaks and let's go
Yeah yeah

Comatose is vague, someone could listen to the whole album and come away not even thinking that the album had anything to do with God. On Comatose God is replaced with a you. Which is fine for people who know Skillet is a Christian Band and it can be very uplifting for them, but for those who don't know what this 'you' is referring to are not any closer to being saved.

DarkestRose
10-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Alien Youth was not written for the secular market though. A song that begins with "Worldwide Jesus domination" is going to turn off the secular audience, not engage them into becoming saved.

planet_kosmos
10-10-2006, 08:02 PM
A song that begins with "Worldwide Jesus domination" is going to turn off the secular audience, not engage them into becoming saved.
But how are you meant to engage them into being saved with lyrics like that? Lyrics that have no mention of God? A lot of people can't get to concerts (me being one) and won't go to the website either.

dawn of light
10-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Lol, sorry if it looks like I was picking on you Dawn, you just happened, in a single post, to say every reason why I don't like the lyrics of this album

Ok cool. No prob. I'll have to finish reading the rest of this thread later I pretty much just got past Skynes' post. I've got a ton of studying to do so I'll post the rest of my thoughts another day.

DarkestRose
10-10-2006, 10:07 PM
I think that the songs on Comatose have a more medicine to the sick approach where the lyrics definitely do not hide their faith, but they don’t spell it out either. So people tend to hear the lyrics based on where they are at in life.

Vince Lichlyter of Jonah33 said that, "I think that it's important to remember that Jesus didn't just preach 24-7. He had relationships, and I'm sure that he spent many unrecorded hours with people simply talking to them. There is no way that christians can decide how or when God can use something. It's not our job to save people. It's our job to use the talents that God has given us to the best of our ability. It's our calling to love God, and to love others as much as we spend time loving ourselves. The Great Commission says to "GO AND MAKE DISCIPLES" and you can't do that in a single song. That is done through your life and your relationships. My opinion is that the Christian music industry, in their gallant effort to make a dollar off of the name and power of Jesus Christ, has somehow brainwashed the masses as to what exactly "makes" a Christian song. There is no such thing as a Christian song. There is only music and words that God has gifted his children with that are used to draw others closer to Him. How that happens is up to the Holy Spirit. Let's drop the assumptions and allow the Holy Spirit to do the work of the Father for crying out loud."

I think what is important is that the band is promoting God’s heart. They are promoting Biblical principles. They are reaching out to those who might not have been reached by the Christian market. I have faith that they are doing what they feel lead to do, but in the end, it’s only God’s place to judge if they are doing what they should be doing. Skillet has been living a great example of what Christ is like by reaching out to others and I believe it will reap great accomplishment. God gives different people different ways of ministering. There is a real difference in how one would minister to the church and how one would minister to the mainstream and that has to be recognized. God calls different people to do different things and I think it is important to understand ones own calling, respect other’s callings and not criticize people for not doing something when it just may not be where they feel God is leading them right now.

skynes
10-10-2006, 10:49 PM
I think what is important is that the band is promoting God’s heart.

Please use scripture to support what 'God's heart' is.

They are promoting Biblical principles.

Please use scripture to show what 'Biblical principles'

They are reaching out to those who might not have been reached by the Christian market.

Explain to me how a vague non-specific Gospel can reach anyone.

I have faith that they are doing what they feel lead to do

No arguments there.

but in the end, it’s only God’s place to judge if they are doing what they should be doing.

No it's not. If they are straying from Biblical standard it's up to those Christians close to them to tell them they're straying and encourage them to get back on the path.

Skillet has been living a great example of what Christ is like by reaching out to others and I believe it will reap great accomplishment.

Noone has yet said how vague lyrics can reach anyone.

God gives different people different ways of ministering.

That's true, but He is always consistant with His Word.

There is a real difference in how one would minister to the church and how one would minister to the mainstream and that has to be recognized.

Not quite.

When Jesus spoke to His disciples, He gave them the Word of God.
When Jesus spoke to the Jews, He gave them the Word of God.
When the Apostles spoke to anyone in Acts or letters, they gave them the Word of God.

God calls different people to do different things and I think it is important to understand ones own calling, respect other’s callings and not criticize people for not doing something when it just may not be where they feel God is leading them right now.

The calling of God will never ever contradict His word. So if someone is doing something (not referring to Skillet) that is against what the Bible says and calls it 'God's calling' we're commanded to show them their faults and encourage to do what is right.

I'm not criticising Skillet. I was voicing that I do not like Comatose's lyrics because they are vague. The Gospel message is not meant to be vague, it's meant to be very clear what it means to everyone who hears it.

If Comatose did not have any Christ focused songs. I wouldn't bat an eye-lid. I'm ok with that. But Comatose DOES have Christ focused lyrics but only Christians who know Skillet will know what they're talking about.

That is what I disagree with. I don't like the idea of disguising a powerful Christian song as a romantic love song.
Which unfortunately is what Comatose does in a couple of places.

E.g. Comatose, from our perspective. Is about how we need God in everything we do, from sleeping to eating. That we cannot even take a breath without Him.

The secular audience will hear it and think of a guy who really loves a girl and needs her touch, her presence, her attention, and that he can't live without her in his life.

planet_kosmos
10-10-2006, 11:40 PM
I don't like the idea of disguising a powerful Christian song as a romantic love song.

I agree, as you said before, false hope which will get them nowhere.

terrasin
10-11-2006, 06:37 AM
That is what I disagree with. I don't like the idea of disguising a powerful Christian song as a romantic love song.
They aren't disguising christian songs as love songs. They really are love songs and have nothing to do with God. :|

CJ

dawn of light
10-11-2006, 06:44 AM
I think Skynes is referring to songs like Comatose, Better than Drugs, etc not Say Goodbye or Yours to Hold.

skynes
10-11-2006, 10:16 AM
I think Skynes is referring to songs like Comatose, Better than Drugs, etc not Say Goodbye or Yours to Hold.

You'd be right. If Yours to Hold is a love song... fine, I don't care, lol. I really don't mind if a Christian band does a song/songs/albums (yes I said entire albums) that isn't about Christ.

I was referring to the Christ oriented songs on Comatose i.e. Comatose itself that resemble more a teenage angsty romance than a relationship with God.

If you're doing a song about Christ I think you should state that plainly in the lyrics. If it's a love song, then also, state that plainly.

Unregistered
10-11-2006, 10:46 AM
I just thought i'd throw my 2 cents in...not gonna register because I feel I don't come here often enough for that.

I think it's a fantastic album...BUT it's also a bit too POPPY.
PopRock is fine...but for Skillet I love the rock...and I feel like they've turned their back on the rock scene and went for a more Switchfoot like sound...which I never liked.

I do think the album has a lot of great tracks...I usually just skip the slow ones. :)
I just strongly hope the next album goes back to ROCK.

DarkestRose
10-11-2006, 11:59 AM
I don't see how one could interpret "Comatose" as a love song. I mean, it is sort of like Evanescene's song "Bring Me to Life" where it sounds like it is about God, but even if one doesn't get that, it at least has a theme of "I need to wake up" more than any sort of love-song feeling. At least to me it felt that way.

theinvaded
10-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Well, after giving it more time and many more spins, i have more thoughts on Comatose...

I think the lyrics are pretty bad in a few songs. Some of it is cheesiness, but other songs are just...lyrically bland. They don't grip or connect to me somehow, not as they did on Collide.

I like the harder songs all right. "Rebirthing" is one of the best songs Skillet's done. "Whispers In the Dark"...does not thrill me that much as it seems it does most people here, for whatever reason, maybe I just need more time with it.

The softer pop/punk songs...I can stand for maybe one chorus, then I usually skip them. I don't hear any good hooks, and the lyrics don't affect me somehow. I really have loved some of Skillet's past ballads, like "A Little More" expecially, but I don't hear the same beauty in these new ballads...

Musically, I love the feel of the guitars on this record. The solos in the bridges of the harder songs sound especially cool. And the addition of Korey's singing was brilliant, hervoice makes the two opening songs all the more awesome. Otherwise, I have to agree with a couple others here that the production on this record somehow hurt a couple other aspects of thier sound...the drums barely register in most songs, and the keyboards, though included more than on Collide, don't seem to add much to the sound at all.

So....I'm kind of mixed about this record currently. Some of it I love, and some of it I think might be a step back for the band, especially the lyrics. That's all my thoughts for now...

skynes
10-12-2006, 01:03 AM
I don't see how one could interpret "Comatose" as a love song. I mean, it is sort of like Evanescene's song "Bring Me to Life" where it sounds like it is about God, but even if one doesn't get that, it at least has a theme of "I need to wake up" more than any sort of love-song feeling. At least to me it felt that way.

Comatose:

I hate feeling like this
I’m so tired of trying to fight this
I’m asleep and all I dream of

Is waking to you
Tell me that you will listen
Your touch is what I’m missing
And the more I hide I realize I’m slowly losing you

Comatose
I’ll never wake up without an overdose of you

Chorus:
I don’t wanna live
I don’t wanna breathe
‘les I feel you next to me
you take the pain I feel
waking up to you never felt so real
I don’t wanna sleep
I don’t wanna dream
‘cause my dreams don’t comfort me
The way you make me feel
Waking up to you never felt so real

I hate living without you
Dead wrong to ever doubt you
But my demons lay in waiting
Tempting me away
Oh how I adore you
Oh how I thirst for you
Oh how I need you

Bridge: Breathing life

Waking up My eyes
Open up

Don’t leave me alone

Read nice and close. To an unbeliever who knows little/nothing about God. They will look at these lyrics and think:

Oh so he's talking about his lover, that she means so much to him that he would rather be awake with her than sleeping without her.
He doesn't want to live without her.
He adores her.

john316
10-12-2006, 02:58 AM
Earlier I forgot to mention the best thing i like about Comatose...Korey's vocals!!8) ...she has such a great voice.

weebird20
10-12-2006, 05:20 AM
hey guys i was reluctant to post here about my thoughts on Comatose...but here goes...

im very disappointed...i love the sound...really the music is awesome...but the lyrics...are just vague...listening to the songs i don't see any of them that stand out as being about Christ...i know some of you here have said that you think its very clear when they are singing a love song or singing about Christ but i just don't see it...the lyrics on this album are just too vague...the strong lyrics in past albums are what really made me love Skillet...but this time round im just not so excited about them...

alienyouth9292
10-13-2006, 05:15 AM
after 10 days, i am gonna review comatose:

Rebirthing: Awesome sound, awesome lyrics, i just listened to it way too many times!! 4.5/5

The Last Night: I love the piano in the beginning, followed by guitars. 4/5

Yours To Hold: Slow, but pure. Sounds like Nickelback (Photograph). 4.5/5

Better Than Drugs: Rock on!! The chorus is a little lame, though.... 3.75/5

Comatose: Very catchy!! Favorite rock song on the cd. 5/5

Older I Get: Sounds like "Photograph". I still like it. 4/5

Those Nights: Guitars are punky, but i don't know how you could call this punk. John's voice is anything but punky. 5/5

Falling Inside The Black: Great mix of guitar sounds. Chorus is okay. 4/5

Say Goodbye: For some reason, i love this song. The slow songs on this cd are great!! 5/5

Whispers In the Dark: Definetly a good rock radio song, complete with catchy lyrics, heavy riffs, and Skillet's sound. 4/5

Looking for Angels: Weird...odd...different. 3/5

My conclusion: All of the songs are great and speak to your heart in certain ways. The harder songs get you pumped up, and the slower songs get you brought back to Earth in a relaxing, casual way.

go_home_red
10-13-2006, 05:27 AM
My review made it into yesterday’s paper. I suppose I should thank Tim McGraw for not sending his new CD to my editor—that’s why there was enough room in the entertainment section for Skillet.

I was disappointed that I wasn’t allowed to give it 4 out of 4 stars—I was told “4 out of 4 is reserved for the album of the year,” to which I replied “this is the album of the year!” 3 ½ stars was the best I could do.

http://norfolkdailynews.com/main.asp?SectionID=5&SubSectionID=66&ArticleID=802&TM=34019.7

Feel free to respond on the paper’s website--let us know how wrong it was to not give Skillet 4 out of 4 stars. We could use a little excitement around here.

terrasin
10-13-2006, 07:00 AM
Hahahaha

"...and the stability has made for . . . well, if hand sanitizer kills 99.9 percent of all bacteria, Skillet's new album, "Comatose," kills 100 percent of whatever it wants. It's just that good."

Great review, mate. :)

CJ

Unregistered
10-13-2006, 03:09 PM
I love the new record.it's amazing.i have been telling everyone about it.i love you guys.keep rocking for God.

neb0789
10-13-2006, 05:31 PM
nice review!

Lauren
10-13-2006, 07:12 PM
This CD hit me in a hard way cause it's just so close to home for me. It's raw and real, and while sounding like a Skillet CD, they have managed to put their growth into this CD in an amazing way. I can tell that they've grown in many ways, as a band, as people, as Christians, and they understand the sad shape the world is in emotionally. It relates to my generation and the generation coming after me. I was in awe when I played it through once, twice, three times, and on. Each time I find new things to be awed by...that's a feat. Most CD's don't make it through my iPod more than once or twice before I'm back to my regular shuffle. I couldn't take this from my ears and found myself singing it again and again. I've never been so happy to be a panhead before. They continue to amaze me.

Unregistered
10-13-2006, 10:42 PM
To be honest, I am so happy that Skillet consistently changes their sound and while they always are rock at their core, they explore different sounds on each album. I've been a Panhead since the first album when John looked like a monkey with the long hair (his words actually).

Comatose is an exceptional album, I especially enjoy because I think John has brought back some of his catchy pop melody writing that was very much missed on "Collide."

"Rebirthing" is a great tune and certainly an apt hard rock single, and certainly a wonderful CD opener. It's great to hear Korey's voice again. Ben's guitar tone has improved considerably since "Collide", which is very nice to hear. My only complaint i that I wish they used real strings instead of the keyboard crap, but that is a minor complaint.

"Yours to Hold", "The Older I Get", "Those Nights" and "Say Goodbye" are certainly the pop songs on the record and I think that any of them could and should receive mainstream radio and video airplay. "Those Nights" is a particularly hooky song, and I think that it captures the feelings of a teenager. John's layered vocals on "Yours to Hold" are particularly impressive- the guy who did mixing did a phenomenal job.

I feel as if "Falling In The Black" is the weakest tune on the album, especially because it is both lyrically and musically the stereotypical rock song. I don't feel that the lyrics have the real life experience that the others do.

At first, I was unsure about "Looking for Angels", but the conviction behind what John is saying is enough for it to be great.

Good work Skillet...thanks for continuing to put out quality music.

Unregistered
10-14-2006, 01:50 AM
I pre-ordered the CD. The link brings up the entire album (in one audio file with the songs back to back) in Windows Media Player. I think it would only let you listen to the file once, closing it at the end of the track. But in the final seconds of the last song I just dragged the slider bar back to the beginning and listened again. Since I had a lot of free time, I listened to all the songs a bunch of times while doing my homework.

lol thats funny

Unregistered
10-14-2006, 06:18 AM
Ok, here we go!!! The review of "Comatose" and just what I think of it. I'm going to start with 'this CD is excellent!!!'. I like it alot the songs on it are:

"Rebirthing"- This is a good song, Love the lyrics. But it also has an amazing Keyboard part. This song has a really good solo too. It's more industrial (for you alien youth fans).

"Last Night"- This song is talking to anyone who feels lonely but, it's main target lyrically is for people who have had problems with cutting or thoughts of suicide. Overall, an amazing keyboard part, and excellent feel on the guitar part I love this song.

"Yours to Hold"- This song is also talking to people who are lonely or depressed. I love the message in this song. I really love the guitar part though, it's a lot like Lifehouse( in my opinion) but it's genius with John Cooper's amazing vocals.

"Better Than Drugs"- This is by far the best song I've ever heard, ever... I love this song it's main chorus being "your better than drugs..." I used to do drugs so I know where the song is coming from. It's a little bit harder than most of the CD.

"Comatose"- ahh... the title track. This song is really cool the vocals are insane, in a good way. I like it alot. The guitar part is sweet!!! Another amazing keyboard part. I love this song

"The Older I Get"- This is a great song. I really like the soft electric picking part. Lyrically it's an amazing song one of the best songs on the CD. It's actually talking about relationship problems. If you've had any of those lately this song should get to you.

"Those Nights"- Wow, amazing guitars... great piano... I love the drum part too. The lyrics are alright but, they remind me of a happier time with my ex. enough of that though this song is a really good song I think it has a punky feel to it.

"Into the Black"- This is a hard song. Something I would of expected after Collide. I really like it too. Lyrically (the message) it's an amazing song, the same feel as "fingernails" from collide. It has one of the best guitar parts on the CD!!

"Don't Say Goodbye"- This is such a good song. It's an amazingly sad song though. It has a genius piano part, my favorite on the whole CD. It's a very good song. It actually softened my heart to my ex... whom I was very mad at.

"Whispers"- This song is by far the best guitar part on the CD. I love the solo, it's the greatest solo I've ever heard Ben do. The song lyrically has a genius message to it. this song is excellent

"Looking for Angels"- I love the message to this song. I really do like the talking part!!! It also has a genius chorus. It's not neccessarily a music based song though. Most of the time there is very little music (volume wise) besides the chorus.

overall, I would advise this CD to anyone who has ears. I love this CD. I give it a 10, I love it. I think it's possibly skillet's best besides Ardent Worship. If you liked alien youth then you'll love this CD. It's not much like Collide except, lyrically

dawn of light
10-16-2006, 01:12 PM
From a review on Christianitytoday.com:

Something in Skillet's phrasing suggests that they're still writing with a high school audience in mind—open and honest, but lacking the mature insight or poetry you might hope from a seasoned band like this.
I KNEW I couldn't be the only one who felt this way. (talking about Say Goodbye, Yours to Hold, and Those Nights.)

planet_kosmos
10-16-2006, 01:34 PM
I didn't like the lyrics of those songs particularly either Rachel.

alienyouth9292
10-16-2006, 03:48 PM
I didn't like the lyrics of those songs particularly either Rachel.

on "those nights", just because he is talking about his teenager years doesn't aim towards a high school audience. that is called remembering....>:(

aliensoul_squire20
10-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Ok, on my favorite-to-least-favorite list (favorite being #1), Comatose pushes "Hey You" out of the #2 slot.

If there were 12 songs, two more hard songs, and if "Those Nights" wasn't pop-ish, this would probably be my favorite album.

"The Last Night" is absolutely amazing. The different points of view between John's vocals and Korey's vocals is just awsome.

"Better Than Drugs" is my favorite from this album. I've never tried drugs or alcohol, and this song will help me even more in resisting those things.

"Looking For Angels" was probably the biggest shock for me on this album. But it's amazing, great message. I especially like the part that says "We want it, we want... we want a reason to live. We need it, we need... we need more than this" Those are powerful lyrics for me.

over-all, I give Comatose a 9.5 outta 10.

drummer_punk82
10-19-2006, 03:32 PM
My humble review is as follows:

"Rebirthing"- The flagship title of the album many might say. Everytime I listen to this one I can't help but sing along. "Breathe for the first time now, I come alive somehow". Doesn't it feel that way each time we fall and the Lord picks us back up again? I relate to this song very much. After tough days it is a great relief to listen to. The orchestration is awesome as well, so powerful, so huge.

"Last Night"- Another one of my favorites. From the start this one rocks my face off. So heavy and strong. Reminds me of how I try and help my friends out when they are going through tough times. Definitely a song I can relate to.

"Yours To Hold"- Used to be a song I'd skip over every time, but no longer. Just like most of the songs on the album, it needs to be listened to a few times to be truly appreciated. I like how the song builds as it goes on then leaves so faintly.

"Better Than Drugs"- I would LOVE to cover this song. Surely this will be one everyone in the crowd will be singing to as Skillet rocks the stage. This song really "moves". From the drum cadence in the verses to the huge, head-banging riffage in between. In this day and age drugs are so prevalent it is good to hear a mainstream Christian artist telling us what is in fact better than drugs, Jesus Christ.

"Comatose"- Oh boy. My favorite song on the entire album. Not quite sure where to begin. The music itself is incredibly done. I love the orchestration again. I'd have to say though, John's vocals in the chorus are amazing. You cannot help but sing along. Can't wait to see Skillet play this one live. "I'll never wake up without an overdose, OF YOU!!!"

"The Older I Get"- This one surprised me at first. Seemed a little too mainstream for Skillet but it grew on me fast. I would highly recommend everyone to read the lyrics to this song. They are very powerful. I didn't really notice so much until I read the lyrics myself.

"Those Nights"- Yeah. This one, at first, really turned me off to the album. It sounded so incredibly poppy I didn't know what to think. Made me think Skillet was trying to sell out a bit. HOWEVER, just like so many other times on the album, it needs to be listened to a few times through. Now, it is another one of Skillet's pure rock songs. Not real serious, just one made to rock.

"Falling Inside The Black"- This one fricken rocks. I love John's style of singing the choruses. Really fast and aggressive. Korey's back up singing is impeccable as well. "Can you hear me??" This song goes through my head for hours. I love it. Another that rocks my face off.

"Goodbye"- Kind of a sad song in my opinion. I love it though, very thoughtful and, like every song on the album, incredibly powerful. The chorus is incredible, can't help but sing along. Reminds of the those times where you knew you had to say goodbye but was still the last thing on your mind.

"Whispers In The Dark"- Probably the heaviest song on the album, Whispers has incredible guitar work. Ben has always been sweet on the guitar, but Comatose is beginning to show his true skill, especially on this song. The intro and verses have awesome guitar riffage as well as the solo of course. I love how Lori added some double bass in between verses, particularly at the end though. I just wish they dragged the ending out longer. ;D

"Looking For Angels"- This song has one of the best choruses I've heard from Skillet. Definitely the unique song on the album, this one really stands out. John speaks the lyrics to the verses and at first it is really weird and a little cheesy actually. Listening to the song a few times through though, the words are very powerful and modern day. Backed up by the fricken sweet chorus, this song rocks too.

OVERALL- One of the best Skillet albums to date. I can't stop listening to it in fact. I would advise EVERYONE, no matter what type of music you enjoy to check out Comatose. Comatose contains some of the most powerful lyrics and incredibly orchestrated music I've ever heard. Five stars all the way.