NightCrawler
09-22-2006, 02:24 PM
GWP!

Okay, so here's the explanation:
The Bible lists many characteristics for men to look for in a woman, and for women to strive to become.

Proverbs is riddled with them, and many people look to Proverbs 31 immediately for examples. I'll give this one first, because it is obvious. Anyway, so the project is to make this thread into a large collection of verses specifically bringing to light the wives we men have been lookin' for.

10 A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her servant girls.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 "Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. 31 Give her the reward she has earned,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

And don't forget, you can post what women are NOT to be as well! For example:

10 Then out came a woman to meet him,
dressed like a prostitute and with crafty intent.

11 (She is loud and defiant,
her feet never stay at home; 12 now in the street, now in the squares,
at every corner she lurks.)

BarlowgIRL
09-22-2006, 04:14 PM
Aww, that's awesome!

lamb_servant72
09-23-2006, 02:18 AM
Hosea 1:2...The Lord said to Hosea, "Go, take to yourself a wife of harlotry..."

NightCrawler
09-23-2006, 06:27 AM
Hosea 1:2...The Lord said to Hosea, "Go, take to yourself a wife of harlotry..."
RoFL!!!!!!!!!!

lamb_servant72
09-23-2006, 07:28 AM
I couldnt resist!;D

NightCrawler
09-23-2006, 08:18 AM
I couldnt resist!;D

I'm so glad you didn't. :evil:

skynes
09-24-2006, 02:05 AM
great one Lisa... Now where can I find one of those... *snicker*

NightCrawler
09-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Sorry to snap the thread back on track, though.

Guys admire girls' qualities that reflect God's nature. They can be found in men and women, but the Bible specifically references them. The Bible even gives example by antithesis. I would like this to be a good compilation, people.

Timothy 3:
11 Likewise their wives must be reverent, not slanderers, temperate, faithful in all things. [in reference to deacons]

weebird20
09-27-2006, 05:05 AM
*pokes Scott* :P

Proverbs 12:4
"An excellent wife is the crown of her husband, But she who causes shame is like rottenness in his bones."

1 Peter 3:3-4
"Do not let your adornment be merely outward arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God."

dawn of light
09-27-2006, 06:48 AM
Peter 3:3-4
"Do not let your adornment be merely outward arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God."
I love this verse! It's a constant reminder that my beauty comes from my heart and not what I wear.

Ephesians 5:21-33 (passage about marriage)
21 submitting to one another in the fear of God. 22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. 24 Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.
25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, 26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, 27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. 28 So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church. 30 For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones. 31 “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” 32 This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

Proverbs 18:22
He who finds a wife finds a good thing,And obtains favor from the LORD.

Proverbs 19;13
A foolish son is the ruin of his father, And the contentions of a wife are a continual dripping.

Proverbs 19:14
Houses and riches are an inheritance from fathers, But a prudent wife is from the LORD.

I don't know if these are the kind of verses you're looking for but I love them because it's a constant reminder about what a Godly woman and wife is.

NightCrawler
09-27-2006, 08:02 AM
I don't know if these are the kind of verses you're looking for but I love them because it's a constant reminder about what a Godly woman and wife is.

You are right on track. :)

lamb_servant72
09-27-2006, 03:52 PM
Proverb 11:22 Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion.

S10ryan
10-03-2006, 04:23 AM
i had never heard that verse of proverbs until i had listened to that kinda girl from DCTalk

frymeskillet
04-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Pro 2:16 They will deliver you from the strange woman, the stranger who flatters with her words,

Pro 9:13 A foolish woman is noisy; she is simple and knows nothing.

Pro 11:16 A gracious woman keeps honor, and the strong keep riches.

Pro 27:15 A never-ending dropping in a very rainy day and a quarrelsome woman are alike.

I think I've found all of the good Proverbs ones that weren't already taken. ;D

rock_out_loud7
06-27-2007, 03:09 PM
This is a great idea. I am reading them all. Thanks for posting them they are all very great!