rkcguitar
09-25-2006, 01:45 PM
There are 30 second song clips of Comatose up on Circuit City's website. Here's the link:
http://entertainment.circuitcity.com/Music/Album.aspx?p_id=P+++194866&a_id=R+++858130&PersonID=P%20%20%20194866&prodid=ATL94537.2

timmyrotter
09-25-2006, 02:46 PM
hopefully there ones are up to stay. :) nice find.

bballplaya4814
09-25-2006, 02:54 PM
eww i don't like it....:(
why did they go all.......soft?

404not_found
09-25-2006, 03:32 PM

:'(

The more I hear of these songs the less I like em... except Rebirthing, The Last Night, and Whispers... but other than that they all sound the same and what I loved about Skillet when I first heard them seems to be missing here :'( Not much creativity, no passion in his voice, no funky music, no screaming no nothing... its just blah...

I'm not even gonna comment on Angels... I deffentately can't stand that song...

(edit: Oh yea, Comatose sounds pretty good too :D)

Maugrim
09-25-2006, 04:11 PM
The only song that I don't like is "Those Nights". I'm sorry, but I do not want to associate Skillet with punk music, and in fact they've been my favorite band for quite some time because they have never sounded like the horrible punk bands on the radio today that are so "trendy" and bland. The rest of the tracks are good and I can get used to a softer Skillet again. After all, they have had a pop/rock influence before like with "Hey You" and "Invincible" which are great albums, but the punk sound is where I draw the line.

Please don't conform, Skillet! Keep it rock!

doormonkey
09-25-2006, 05:25 PM
Huh. Too bad CC's website sucks...no luck getting the clips to play.

Gryphenix
09-25-2006, 06:34 PM
*Gasp* No scraming?!? It's the end of the world. >:( If you can't tell, I am being severely sarcastic. Screaming is not the end all vocal part that makes a cd great or passionate. I have heard the cd all the way through, via my streaming audio, and so far am nothing but impressed. If you ask me, lyrically, this cd is better than Collide, and musically, it is the best sounding album Skillet has put out, at least from a purely technical standpoint. And as far as the no passion comment, you obviously did not listen closely to any of the songs. I'm really not trying to be rude here, but people need to stop thinking that the only music that is good is the music they expect to hear.

DarkestRose
09-25-2006, 06:58 PM
*Gasp* No scraming?!? It's the end of the world. >:( If you can't tell, I am being severely sarcastic. Screaming is not the end all vocal part that makes a cd great or passionate. I have heard the cd all the way through, via my streaming audio, and so far am nothing but impressed. If you ask me, lyrically, this cd is better than Collide, and musically, it is the best sounding album Skillet has put out, at least from a purely technical standpoint. And as far as the no passion comment, you obviously did not listen closely to any of the songs. I'm really not trying to be rude here, but people need to stop thinking that the only music that is good is the music they expect to hear.

I agree with this post. I think that this album is really great and passionate. I also have to say that "Those Nights" and "Angels" are some of my favorite songs. I know that the album is softer than the other, but I don't think that is neccesarily bad at all. I like it a lot.

rkcguitar
09-25-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm a big fan of Skillet's in your face hard rock, but obviously this record is more toned down. Not what I expected, but I support Skillet in whatever they do. So I will support this record and it'll grow on me. I haven't even heard the whole thing yet so who knows, maybe I'll fall in love right away. This record sounds like it's more of a mixture of both hard rock and soft, toned down rock. Skillet is a great band and most of all they have a great message about Christ so next Tuesday I will be at Best Buy buying this one.

neb0789
09-25-2006, 08:07 PM
i agree with you brandon, i love the hard stuff. and i love whispers, rebirthing, and the last night, hopefully i'll grow on the rest of the album too.

rkcguitar
09-25-2006, 08:36 PM
i agree with you brandon, i love the hard stuff. and i love whispers, rebirthing, and the last night, hopefully i'll grow on the rest of the album too.
Yea, I love Rebirthing and Whispers cause they still have that hard rock element in there, but I'm not sure about the rest I've heard. I do like Comatose also, that song has the best lyrics I've heard. Lets just hope that Skillet's next cd will return more to the hard rock side of them. I just hate it when bands tone down their sound just to be more mainstream. Relient K did it with their 3rd album "Two Lefts Don't Make a Right...but Three Do" and fans didn't like it so that's why they came out with "Mmhmm" the following year. Again though, I don't know cause I haven't heard the album. Once the album is out I will post a review of it.

nick1698
09-25-2006, 08:44 PM
I was a little worried when I first heard the 30 second sound clips, but once I listened to the streaming audio from my pre-order, I realized that those clips simply do not do the songs justice, and many do not even include the main chorus. The CD is really, really good. Don't judge it based off of 30 second clips; I did, and realized how wrong I was once I heard "Comatose" in its entirety.

riz
09-25-2006, 08:45 PM
I actually thought "Two Lefts..." was probably Relient K's best CD.

*shrugs*

rkcguitar
09-25-2006, 08:57 PM
I actually thought "Two Lefts..." was probably Relient K's best CD.

*shrugs*
Well I didn't say that it was a bad cd. I just said that they went from their pop/punk style of their 2nd album and made it softer. I actually think Mmhmm is Relient K's best cd musicially, but lyrically I think Anatomy of the Tongue in Cheek is their best. If they took those lyrics and applied it to their music they have now then they will be awesome. They would be better than they are. We shall find out in February about that one.

404not_found
09-25-2006, 11:37 PM

Ok first, screaming is not that big of a deal IMO... personally I don't care for it but I liked what was in collide. It worked. Lyrically, I think you're wrong, but this is just going to be personal preference and not worth argueing over. Musically... same thing. I do like the songs I mentioned before but other than that there is nothing special about the music at all. As for the passion thing... personally, I don't feel it... not like in Skillets other releases.

And last: "but people need to stop thinking that the only music that is good is the music they expect to hear" Honestly, Skillet was never in my personal preference for best musical style. They're the only rock band that I listen to... I could go on and break it down what I like about each of their previous albums, why I think they're my personal favorite band yet would prefer to listen to something else. And I could describe exactly what I don't like about this one... though I probably didn't write it out nearly as well as I should have obviously... and I wont till I've heard the entire CD (which I am going to buy btw just cause I STILL think SKillet is an awesome band and deserves all the support it can get... and the album will probably grow on me anyway) So anyway, if I did think the only music I think is good is music I expect to hear, I wouldn't be on this site.

And I have got to say this: Why is any negative opinions concidered hersey here on these boards? I was just giveing an honest opinion and I wasn't rude about it... you want me to just come here *OH SKILLET! THIS IS THE UBER BEST CD IN THE WORLD GO SKILLET I LOVE THIS ALBUM!* Sorry, ok I'll lie to make you all happy.

Sorry I don't mean to be rude but people need to stop thinking that the only right opinion is a good opinion and any honest disappointments are an automatic attack on the band and everyone else who likes it.

rkcguitar
09-26-2006, 12:18 PM
Ok first, screaming is not that big of a deal IMO... personally I don't care for it but I liked what was in collide. It worked. Lyrically, I think you're wrong, but this is just going to be personal preference and not worth argueing over. Musically... same thing. I do like the songs I mentioned before but other than that there is nothing special about the music at all. As for the passion thing... personally, I don't feel it... not like in Skillets other releases.

And last: "but people need to stop thinking that the only music that is good is the music they expect to hear" Honestly, Skillet was never in my personal preference for best musical style. They're the only rock band that I listen to... I could go on and break it down what I like about each of their previous albums, why I think they're my personal favorite band yet would prefer to listen to something else. And I could describe exactly what I don't like about this one... though I probably didn't write it out nearly as well as I should have obviously... and I wont till I've heard the entire CD (which I am going to buy btw just cause I STILL think SKillet is an awesome band and deserves all the support it can get... and the album will probably grow on me anyway) So anyway, if I did think the only music I think is good is music I expect to hear, I wouldn't be on this site.

And I have got to say this: Why is any negative opinions concidered hersey here on these boards? I was just giveing an honest opinion and I wasn't rude about it... you want me to just come here *OH SKILLET! THIS IS THE UBER BEST CD IN THE WORLD GO SKILLET I LOVE THIS ALBUM!* Sorry, ok I'll lie to make you all happy.

Sorry I don't mean to be rude but people need to stop thinking that the only right opinion is a good opinion and any honest disappointments are an automatic attack on the band and everyone else who likes it.
Writing an essay there, haha. Nah, I'm just kidding. I understand what you mean though.

jade
09-26-2006, 03:00 PM

I honestly think it all comes down to perception. I have actually been under the impression that people have been somewhat critical of Comatose because the band continues to evolve both musically and lyrically. But despite differing opinions, the over all consensus is that, yeah, I still love and support this band.

Skillet attracts a wide audience of fans that reaches in to all genres of music so peopleís perception of the music is going to be vastly different ... as seen in the reviews. Someone's most hated song and equally someone's most loved song.

While I haven't been listening to every sound bite available, nor did I pre-order to hear the audio stream, I have a feeling this album is going to be one that takes time to grown on people ... each in different ways.

zeroneff
09-26-2006, 04:19 PM
John copper and RAp?

Gryphenix
09-26-2006, 05:59 PM
My point is not to dis poor opinions of music that I like. I just get very riled up right now when I see criticism of artists in the Christian realm trying to evolve. It seems to me that, at least in the last few years, some artists such as Skillet have been trying to break the mold of what Christian music has to be. Yet when they do this, people wonder why they do not sound the same as they used to. One line I hate in reviews is "you need to get back to your roots" addressing the bands. Why should Christian artists stay the same. Why can't they invade the popular world scene? It just annoys me to see this. So, when I hear someone talk about a lack of passion, or disappointment becasue of a change in sound, I get annoyed. I am not defending Skillet simply because I love their music and their hearts. I defend them because I am tired of Christian artists being criticized for being experimental in their music.

will
09-26-2006, 08:18 PM
John copper and RAp?
rap? you sure you listened to the right clips?

dawn of light
09-26-2006, 08:28 PM
I think I'll really love this album. I'm not gonna lie, I was expecting and hoping for something more hard rock with just the right amount of screaming like Collide had. But I seriously have a WIDE variety of musical tastes all the way from Keith Urban to The Used to Skillet to Shakira, so I know that this album will grow on me even if it wasn't what I was hoping for. I remember when I first saw the "studio videos" and John was explaining that they were trying to make his voice sound smoother...I'm disappointed a little about that! His raspy voice is one of the reasons I love their music so much. Anyway this album is gonna rock!

neb0789
09-26-2006, 09:41 PM
i agree, his raspy voice is amazing!

404not_found
09-26-2006, 10:19 PM
My point is not to dis poor opinions of music that I like. I just get very riled up right now when I see criticism of artists in the Christian realm trying to evolve. It seems to me that, at least in the last few years, some artists such as Skillet have been trying to break the mold of what Christian music has to be.

[...]

I defend them because I am tired of Christian artists being criticized for being experimental in their music.

EDIT: Ok so my initial response got a bit hotty so I deleted it :D

Just know I'm not criticizing the band trying to experiment... they've been a experimental band all along (though I'd have to say, of all their albums, this one seems the least risky) and I think thats great that they don't stay the same. I just don't think this one was very daring but its my opinion so I'll leave it at that.

I wish other Christian bands would be as dareing as Skillet and not just release 5 albums that sound exactly the same, lyrically or musically.

I'm very happy for Skillet cause, even though I don't dig this album very much, it has a very "mainstream" sound that I think is gonna draw in alot of fans and put Skillet on the map where they belong cause they are a very good band and deserve to be successful. And they're hearts seem in the right place and I really respect that. Nothing fake or plastic about them. And I hope they are able to reach lots of people and plant seeds and they may come to know Jesus.

This is still my least favorite album of thiers though (as of now anyway... it may grow on me) :P

DarkestRose
09-26-2006, 11:24 PM
rap? you sure you listened to the right clips?

I think the poster might have meant "Angels"? That's just a stab in the dark though, so correct me if I'm wrong.

DarkestRose
09-26-2006, 11:53 PM
I honestly think it all comes down to perception. I have actually been under the impression that people have been somewhat critical of Comatose because the band continues to evolve both musically and lyrically. But despite differing opinions, the over all consensus is that, yeah, I still love and support this band.

Skillet attracts a wide audience of fans that reaches in to all genres of music so peopleís perception of the music is going to be vastly different ... as seen in the reviews. Someone's most hated song and equally someone's most loved song.

While I haven't been listening to every sound bite available, nor did I pre-order to hear the audio stream, I have a feeling this album is going to be one that takes time to grown on people ... each in different ways.

Yeah. I think the "different ways" aspect really influential. In the end though, I everyone has their own opinion and we're still all for the same band. I think some people just need more time to get used to the album.

What I love about this album is the passion in the lyrics. It just pulls on the message that people are broken and need someone who cares. Whether it's just the need to come alive to the world again like in "Rebirthing" and "Comatose" or just the more candid of the 'issues' songs like "Angels". In the end though, the lyrics convey the sense of the power of change right at the fingertips. While I can admit that "Those Nights" does sound pop-punk-ish and that is one of my least favorite genres, I do like the song. Even though I know that it is about John, I still canít help thinking that other people could probably feel the same way and that it would be cool to be that friend that helps someone through tough times.

I can see where some people are disappointed from a musical standpoint. Hard rock and metal are my favorite genres and it would have been cool to hear more of the harder songs on the album, along with stuff like screaming (which is just fun). I can understand other people being disappointed that it wasnít a hard as the other albums.

At the same time, I personally do not believe the band is conforming, at least not in a deliberate sense of the term of soften their music purposely for the intent of selling more records. Though it is true that they do sound like a lot of other bands out there, if that is what conforming meant.

zeroneff
09-27-2006, 04:28 AM
I think the poster might have meant "Angels"? That's just a stab in the dark though, so correct me if I'm wrong.
Yup its was that one

zeroneff
09-27-2006, 04:32 AM
Ok I found the Walmart one they are better than CC http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5184536

riz
09-27-2006, 04:48 AM
I thought we had discussed this in another thread, but John isn't rapping in that particular song.

terrasin
09-27-2006, 09:10 AM
The style is called "Spoken Word"

CJ

zeroneff
09-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Oh.............

yamaha_250cc
09-27-2006, 05:22 PM
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU PUNKS ARE TALKING ABOUT! THIS CD ROCKS MY FACE OFF! even if it is different sounding...it rocks! yeah.

zeroneff
09-27-2006, 06:23 PM
Sure it rocks but this was so unexpected from skillet

doormonkey
09-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Not so sure about the verses...but the chorus for Angels sure sounds cool!

boaguy
09-27-2006, 11:39 PM
What happened? :o

planet_kosmos
09-27-2006, 11:45 PM
Ok I found the Walmart one they are better than CC http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5184536

That page has gone down for 'maintenance'. Don't worry it's back up again.

yamaha_250cc
09-28-2006, 06:07 AM
Sure it rocks but this was so unexpected from skillet

that's the beauty of it. it's not what the fans expected, they're branching out, trying new things. and when they do that it means a more expanded group of ppl will be reached by there music. that means more ppl reached for God and His glory.

rkcguitar
09-28-2006, 11:50 AM
Now that I hear those clips I'm starting to like it even more. I think this album is gonna be the best this year. I can't wait til Tuesday!

404not_found
09-28-2006, 01:48 PM
I was listening to their stuff on myspace some more and I take back the thing I said about "no passion"... I just thought most of those clips were a little boring but listening to like "the older I get" (even though I don't like the song much), you can still tell they poured their heart and soul into it.

neb0789
09-28-2006, 03:12 PM
hey man, thats cool that you have guts to take back what you said, i wish a little more of that would happen around here :-)

neb0789
09-28-2006, 08:05 PM
30 seconds just isn't enough, tuesday needs to hurry up and get here

rkcguitar
09-28-2006, 08:34 PM
30 seconds just isn't enough, tuesday needs to hurry up and get here
30 seconds isn't enough at all, lol. The days are going by so slowly it seems.

planet_kosmos
09-29-2006, 04:07 AM
30 seconds isn't enough at all, lol. The days are going by so slowly it seems.

It will be ages before it ships all the way over here. But its about time I learnt some patience.