kelce20
10-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Really disappointed on this new CD. Waited a long time for this and was shocked at the "old school sound". I don't understand why they went back to the basics when "Collide" elevated them to the next level and even recieved a Grammy nomination and a number one hit with "Savior". Just my two cents, but, the Cd is clearly titled correctly because Skillet is in coma on this one.
A big disappointment... oh well, maybe it will grow on me.
Skillet please lose the keyboard on tour somewhere and pick up the kicking guitar chords and rips like on "Collide" to save the day!:-\ I know you guys worked really hard on this CD with all the talent you guys have, but, I don't like the direction this is heading, wishing you guys the best! PS. I have about worn out my "Collide" CD because of the hard ripping sound that is current right from "My Obsession" , "Energy" etc... I think this new CD will collect dust.

404not_found
10-04-2006, 04:26 PM
Well, its not that bad but it isn't my favorite (I haven't heard the whole album yet so I'll reserve proper judgment till after I purchase it) :D Anyway, they must keep the keyboard... and bring back the synths!!!

aliensoul_squire20
10-04-2006, 04:32 PM
I'm still waiting for my copy to come in the mail. the downside of pre-ordering.

and, old sound as in, what, Hey You? Because if that's the case, then I'll probably really like it, because until Collide, Hey You was my favorite Skillet album.

terrasin
10-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Old School Sound? Comatose is more like Collide than any of the other records. It's a much more matured sound than the previous albums at all. There is a little more synth in this album than there was in Collide, but nothing like the industrial sound of AY. I fail to see the connection.

CJ

Paulishdog
10-04-2006, 05:20 PM
(regarding the first post...)

Wow... strong words. Forgive me if it makes me kind of angry.

You clearly haven't been a Skillet fan for long if you were expecting a Collide clone. Skillet does something different on every CD.

For the record, Collide did make me into a Skillet fan. It was my first CD of theirs. But I found much more depth in Alien Youth, and much more soul in Invincible. Comatose is now my facorite Skillet CD. It presents the most impressive effort from Skillet yet, and I'll be very surprised if Skillet doesn't win a Grammy for this one.

The only way I see this being "old school" is that it lacks the heartless tone of Collide.

neb0789
10-04-2006, 05:22 PM
wow, that was kinda harsh... i guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion

kelce20
10-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Simply my two cents.. been a fan for at least 5 years, seen them many times in concert and enjoyed the shows.
Alien Youth was a indication that Skillet was progressingly getting harder in their music. A indication of that when Korey picked up the guitar and moved the keyboard out of the way, well sort of.
Just me I guess... that was my review. I will listen some more and see if it catchs on or not.
After "Collide" and even after the release of " Open Wounds" (another indication of things to come in the future) I just knew that this new CD was going to be a prelude of Collide.
I guess I was wrong.
Wish them the best however! And look forward to them going on tour soon.

neb0789
10-04-2006, 06:20 PM
hey, yeah, good to know you're still giving it a chance. who knows? i didn't particularly like it at first, but it has grown on me

rkcguitar
10-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Well, to each his or her own. I personally think Skillet did an amazing job on this record. Comatose is their best yet, yes, even better than Collide cause there's diversity in it. I'm one of the people who loved Collide and all the hard rock guitars in it, but as soon as I heard Comatose I fell in love with it. Skillet continues to amazing me with the music they put out. So if you think Comatose is boring then you are an idiot and you totally don't appreciate good music when you hear it. You should be slapped, seriously, for not liking this album, lol. I'm only being sarcastic though so don't get all mad. Like I said, everybody has an opinion and you gave yours.

Unregistered
10-04-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm totally bummed by this record in every way. The heavier material is corporate cookie-cutter hard rock, the slower material is hookless ccm-y drudge. And it's all super slick, to the point where even the return of keys and guitar solos feel pasted on and drabby.

Skillet, what on earth happened?!

kelce20
10-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Good post RKC guitar.
I grew up in the 80's and probably was a fan of Skillet before any of you all were even walking.
When I say "old school" it is old school for me. The sound of this new cd reminds me of 80's music. Also notice the attire Skillet is wearing also? Clothes are the eighties.The makeup John is wearing? All from the 80's. The sound of the keyboard, yep, the 80's. This is nothing new. Except to the younger generation.
I know good music, I listen to all genre of music from Miles Davis (Jazz) to Metallica to the Eagles to Skillet. A "mixed bag" of music.
I simply do not like this CD. Like I said in past posts, I will give it a try and let it grow on me. I appreciate your honesty on your posts. Call them like you see them RKC!
John Cooper and I grew up in the same era, the 80's. I met him in person after a concert once and he and I talked about the good ole heavy metal music from the 80's. We can relate to that alot. His style of music was the same from the 80's. So, it kind of disappointed me to go back to that kind of sound. But, however, maybe it will sound kind of fresh later on.

Gryphenix
10-04-2006, 07:29 PM
I gotta say, I have to strongly disagree with the opinion of the thread starter. If Skillet had stayed in the same vein as Collide, it would have told me two things:
1. They had sold out to keep the new mainstream fanbase they got with Collide.
2. They had reached the end of the creative tunnel.
What I love about Skillet is that they can effectively play a vast amount of styles. I mean, even AY has songs that do not fit in the mold of that CD (You are My Hope, Come My Way, Will You Be There). To me, Comatose goes back to what makes Skillet what they are, a frying pan of sounds that fuses into a sound that rocks your face right off.

kelce20
10-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Good post Phenix! You hit on some points.

GuitarHero
10-04-2006, 07:34 PM
i really really liked the cd except for looking for angels the only suffestion i have is that maybe they scream a little, i liked in collide. But overall comatose rocks and i think that adding korey's vocals was the smartest thing skillet has ever done! so i guess i disagree with the thread starter and agree with gryphenix, i love how skillet continues to come out with a different sound everytime and i think on this album they finally got a good mix of the styles they have already tried.

kelce20
10-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Sometimes after you play a CD for many times... it seems to grow on you.
I will give it a shot.

BondageDuck
10-04-2006, 08:45 PM
I gotta say, I have to strongly disagree with the opinion of the thread starter. If Skillet had stayed in the same vein as Collide, it would have told me two things:
1. They had sold out to keep the new mainstream fanbase they got with Collide.
2. They had reached the end of the creative tunnel.
What I love about Skillet is that they can effectively play a vast amount of styles. I mean, even AY has songs that do not fit in the mold of that CD (You are My Hope, Come My Way, Will You Be There). To me, Comatose goes back to what makes Skillet what they are, a frying pan of sounds that fuses into a sound that rocks your face right off.

Great post! It's so true--Skillet has taken some old sounds (like from Hey You or AY) & blended it with new sounds (like from Collide) & I think this album will be a huge hit. I love that they've brought back the keyboards--I miss the days when Korey had 7 of them stacked around her & would play 2 or 3 at once! That's some real talent! And I love that she's singing background again--that was my only disappointment with Collide. The keyboards were eliminated almost entirely, she didn't sing, & it almost felt like Korey was missing from the whole album. I think this album brings a fresh new sound...just as all their other albums have. I love all of their songs that they've ever done & this album is no exception! :)

KaiserZr
10-04-2006, 11:43 PM
the new albulm made me miss "HYILYS" and "AY"...I was happy they put some keys back into their songs... the only songs I l really liked on "Collide" were the title track and "Fingernails."

shane
10-05-2006, 07:53 AM
I've been a fan since AY.. I'm pretty much in love with Comatose. Maybe it's because it's kinda how I would put out a CD if I made one - with a lot of different styles on it. Lyrically, the CD is incredible.. Looking for Angels is amazing. Musically, the CD ranges from gorgeous to sick, and I love it. Ben gets more time to play around on this CD which is always a plus for me.

So, I definitely love Comatose.. maybe even more than Collide. Time will tell.

ChildOfChrist
10-05-2006, 08:16 AM
I think the reason why anyone wouldn't love Comatose is because they want to try to "classify" Skillet as a certain type of band, and then feel disappointed when they find out they’re wrong. ‘Cause really, it's nearly impossible classify Skillet into one genre. Just look at all their different styles since they started! Skillet is a band that makes great music. Not just a great hard rock band. I loved the hard stuff on Collide, I loved the fun stuff on Invincible, and I love the artful stuff on Comatose. It all sounds good to me. But then again, I'm the kind of guy who can make a playlist of Demon Hunter and dc Talk and not skip a beat. lol...maybe that's just me. GO COMATOSE!!!

-=Max=-
10-05-2006, 09:16 AM
The songs on Comatose sound nothing at all like 80's music. It is way to technical and the overall sound is completely different. Also this album is purely amazing. I thought i wouldn't like looking for angels, but i love it. I also am in love with every other song on this album. This album shows how much skillet has grown as a band since collide. I do not know how anyone cannot like this album even more, or as much as they liked collide.

Tanel
10-05-2006, 09:24 AM
Well, this album is the best album of the year and probably even better that Collide.

Unregistered
10-05-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm totally bummed by this record in every way. The heavier material is corporate cookie-cutter hard rock, the slower material is hookless ccm-y drudge. And it's all super slick, to the point where even the return of keys and guitar solos feel pasted on and drabby.

Skillet, what on earth happened?!

I like this cd but I kinda agree with this person... Some of the songs sound like John Cooper is singing for NickelBack.... And Alien Youth is the BEST cd skillet has ever released, just so we are clear. haha

theelectric3
10-05-2006, 11:48 AM
i think the keyboard is a vital part of Skillet's unique sound. the string arragements are an added touch of what they were toying with on Collide - love it.

this CD, to me, speaks of how they have been stretched musically and improved. the guitars riffs, thick guitars, strings, keyboard, korey singing in it again, agressive and catchy beats, impacting lyrics with plenty of hooks...

no sleeping on this one. no way.

i agree that i think i like this better than Collide. i feel like they took the best parts of Collide and expanded it (and even played with it) on this CD... which i was SO happy to hear.

skilletfreak101
10-05-2006, 05:12 PM
Really disappointed on this new CD. Waited a long time for this and was shocked at the "old school sound". I don't understand why they went back to the basics when "Collide" elevated them to the next level and even recieved a Grammy nomination and a number one hit with "Savior". Just my two cents, but, the Cd is clearly titled correctly because Skillet is in coma on this one.
A big disappointment... oh well, maybe it will grow on me.
Skillet please lose the keyboard on tour somewhere and pick up the kicking guitar chords and rips like on "Collide" to save the day!:-\ I know you guys worked really hard on this CD with all the talent you guys have, but, I don't like the direction this is heading, wishing you guys the best! PS. I have about worn out my "Collide" CD because of the hard ripping sound that is current right from "My Obsession" , "Energy" etc... I think this new CD will collect dust.
yes to tell you the complete truth, i am a little disapointed in skillet's new cd as well. the song that made me pre-order the cd was "Whispers in the Dark." i listened to that song, amazed by how awesome and complex it was. but to my disapointment, it was the best song on the cd and the rest of the cd wasn't really like it. the rest of the cd is mostly poppy music with already used guitar riffs and chord progressions. don't get me wrong, i like the cd, but I was expecting waaaaaayyyy more from Skillet.

ImaPunk4SkilleT
10-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Old School Sound? Comatose is more like Collide than any of the other records. It's a much more matured sound than the previous albums at all. There is a little more synth in this album than there was in Collide, but nothing like the industrial sound of AY. I fail to see the connection.

CJ

agreed...
Comatose is the most mature record by them that I have heard
I lvoe this record personally.. probably one of my favorites after AY

neb0789
10-05-2006, 06:03 PM
i really like comatose, i just wish it was a little bit heavier. i know skillet changes and i just hope they go heavier again sometime in the future, i never really enjoyed listening to screaming in music until i heard john, amazing.

m_money618
10-05-2006, 06:18 PM
WOW......

everyone is entilted to their own opinion but....

wow....

everone says Skillet always changes. yes, they do change, but in some way they will always be one way they'll be the same. the message. not only do they have incredible sounds, but awesome amazing lyrics. they always reach into people hearts, no matter what they do, and that is one of they main reasons i (and others) love them.

peace out-

bballplaya4814
10-05-2006, 06:21 PM
I was prolly the first to notice, but i haven't had time to post. And please just nicely tell me if this is posted somewhere else, because it's bedtime and i don't have time to look through all the posts, but...in the lyric booklet, there are numbers at the top 1-11. Well they all have lines coming off of then and their supposed to branch of to the lyrics of that song number. Well 1-6 are correct, as well as 9. But if you look closely, you can't really see well that 7,8, and 10 are wrong, but it's clear for song number 11. If you follow the line from #11 it branches off to the lyrics of "Those Nights", song 7. Therefore 10 branches off at "Falling Inside The Black" song 8, 8 branches off at "Whispers In The Dark song 10,and 7 branches off at "Looking For Angels" song 11, So, SOMEONE GOOFED!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, in accordance to the other post on this main forum entitled "So Skillet Fizzled A Bit On This One" i agree whole-heartedly. I'm sorry Ben, Lori, and the rest of you guys but, this album is really a disappointment after Collide. I pre-ordered it, and i'm glad it was only 9.97 also, i never got the streaming audio so that was pretty gay. Anyway i hope you don't continue in this direction. That was the reason i didn't buy AY or any other Skillet CD besides Collide, and why Comatose will go into my "Pending Selling" category. Don't worry tho, i'm still a fan, and love Rebirthing, and Whispers. I even like Falling Inside the Black and some other songs too, but just the whole album is kinda a step back from Collide. Anyway, still great job on the CD, just kind of going to old school Skillet, which i don't think is the best idea. But whatever, that's just my opinion. Alright i'm done, sorry for the long post. Laterz

Jordan

neb0789
10-05-2006, 06:42 PM
you're right, that's interesting. oh well, it doesn't bother me.

packmule3
10-05-2006, 06:51 PM
I noticed when I bought the cd. i was confused but didnt think a whole lot of it since it is right on the back. I dunno.

TheFireBreathes
10-05-2006, 07:24 PM
I think everyone should realize that Not Every Skillet Cd is the Same. So it doesn't really make sense in comparing Comotose to Collide when in fact they aren't the same.

Everyone's all flipping out how the album is so different from Collide. Of course it's going to be different. Skillet changes. Look at the difference between Alien Youth and Collide. Big gap between those.

jade
10-05-2006, 07:36 PM
i really like comatose, i just wish it was a little bit heavier.

Just curious ... have you seen them live recently?

JohnnyRocker
10-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Well it's obvious that if you only like and always expect the same sort of heavy brand of rock from Collide that you're not going to like every album that comes out by an artist. Unless they keep their same sound their whole career because they're too afraid of taking a risk and making a change, no artist can ever please all their fans all the time.

As Oasis says: "You gotta roll with it" :)

Paulishdog
10-05-2006, 07:41 PM
You know, there is a thread to review the CD. I'm getting a little tired of every person who didn't like the CD starting a new thread.

TheFireBreathes
10-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Well it's obvious that if you only like and always expect the same sort of heavy brand of rock from Collide that you're not going to like every album that comes out by an artist. Unless they keep their same sound their whole career because they're too afraid of taking a risk and making a change, no artist can ever please all their fans all the time.

As Oasis says: "You gotta roll with it" :)

Because "the times they are a changin"

dawn of light
10-05-2006, 08:02 PM
The only way I see this being "old school" is that it lacks the heartless tone of Collide.

:o Are you really serious? Wow! I would never call their lyrics heartless!

"Iím asleep and all I dream of
Is waking to you
Tell me that you will listen
Your touch is what Iím missing
And the more I hide I realize Iím slowly losing you...

...Oh how I adore you
Oh how I thirst for you
Oh how I need you"

To me Skillet isn't just a great band with great music. And although musically, this cd isn't what I was hoping for, I absolutely love it. I rarely come across a band so inspiring that I can't help but praise God when I listen to their lyrics. When I pray and praise and worship God one of my top choices for music is to listen to Skillet.

As I was writing this post I just realized that you said heartless tone not heartless lyrics. So maybe I mistinterpreted you, I dunno.

Unregistered
10-05-2006, 08:06 PM
I'm sorry, I don't care who you are, Comatose is incredible! (I wish it was longer, though...)

JohnnyRocker
10-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Yours To Hold is pretty emotional as well...

Paulishdog
10-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Okay... first of all, I was talking about Collide. Not Comatose. Second, I only use the term "heartless" in relation to Skillet's other albums. I'm not sure I picked the right word though. Maybe it would have been better to say that Collide lacked a lot of depth in the tone of the music. Not the lyrics, but the music.

Trippy
10-05-2006, 09:03 PM
I think this guy is mental !

JohnnyRocker
10-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Come on now...no reason to be rude about it. :)

DarkestRose
10-05-2006, 09:25 PM
I really like the direction Skillet progressed toward. It still goes have the heavy guitars, but I like how they brought back the keys and I like the orchestration. I think that musically, the band has really improved. I agree with what John said in one interview that the CD really features the best aspects of Skillet. Also, they got Korey to sing again and her vocals are remarkably beautiful.

I think the Comatose is quite awesome because there are some more heavy rock songs like "Rebirthing" and "Whispers" as well as some softer ballads like "Yours to Hold" and "Say Goodbye" and in the end the genres of the songs are quite diverse. I do not really see why people are so surprised that Comatose doesn’t sound like Collide, when Skillet has always had a different sound each album. That is something I have really liked about the band because they have a CD to fit pretty much any mood I am in.

Also, I think that the lyrics are wonderful. I love the message that Skillet has. I love how a lot of the lyrics have a theme of second chances. Over the past year or so, I have really felt God showing me that people are feeling so broken and what they really need is a taste of grace. This album really echoed that to me. My hope would be that other people would feel encouraged by the songs that really relate to a lot of the different struggles people go through. I also desire that maybe some people would feel inspired to really help others. Definitely, I think the whole "waking up" message is great.

So I think this CD is Skillet's most mature yet and very inspired. I can really see God working in people's lives through this album. So I am really excited for it.

riz
10-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Or saying something like this:

I pre-ordered it, and i'm glad it was only 9.97 also, i never got the streaming audio so that was pretty gay.

Paulishdog
10-05-2006, 10:12 PM
I think this guy is mental !

*Looks around*

Are you talking to me? Or the guy who started this thread?

Maybe I should just take back what I said about Collide. I'm not even sure what I was talking about.

boaguy
10-05-2006, 10:55 PM
I like about half of it:-X

kelce20
10-06-2006, 01:29 AM
No I am not mental.;D
Just my opinion.
By the way, I just bought Pillar's new CD also, it is ok.
I will give Skillet's new cd another try.

john316
10-06-2006, 02:58 AM
Come on now...no reason to be rude about it. :)

I agree...lets not make personal attacks.

kelce20
10-06-2006, 06:01 AM
your going to judge someone based on a message board?::]
Judge not, for how you judge, you will be judged.

go_home_red
10-06-2006, 06:37 AM
Skillet's fizzle is better than anyone else's shizzle.

samo21
10-06-2006, 06:45 AM
When I first heard comatose through the one time free listen that came with the best preorder package (w00t w00t), I was really... taken aback? I mean, rebirthing I had heard many times, so I was ready for that, but, none of the other stuff. When I first heard rebirthing I thought that was going to be similar to the rest of the cd, and I was excited, because in my opinion rebirthing is stronger than most of the songs on collide. But when I played it and i heard songs like "Those Nights", it was just really shocking. So, it took a few listens, but now, i'm crazy for comatose. Much like one of the previous posters, I'm also the type who can listen to something like Demon Hunter, Zao, Mortal treason becoming the archetype, on the same playlist with DC talk or sixpence none the richer, and have no problems. So as much as I loved the harder sounds on Collide, and I think AY was even harder than comatose, I still love the hardness Comatose has, and also the softer stuff, and the poppy sounding songs. Skillet dun good.

By the way, I'm basing this off of owning the entire skillet library, other than the AY EP thingy, Ardent Worship, and the AY dvd. Are those worth getting?

Maugrim
10-06-2006, 07:11 AM
By the way, I'm basing this off of owning the entire skillet library, other than the AY EP thingy, Ardent Worship, and the AY dvd. Are those worth getting?

I'd say they are! Ardent Worship is really passionate and both the DVD and the rare cuts CD are fun.

I haven't even been able to buy Comatose yet. Our Best Buy is lame and aren't even stocking them yet! Oh well.

skilletfreak101
10-06-2006, 07:12 AM
I think everyone should realize that Not Every Skillet Cd is the Same. So it doesn't really make sense in comparing Comotose to Collide when in fact they aren't the same.

Everyone's all flipping out how the album is so different from Collide. Of course it's going to be different. Skillet changes. Look at the difference between Alien Youth and Collide. Big gap between those.
i'm pretty sure we all understand that....what alot of us are saying is that we don't really like the changes they made on the new cd.

smileynumber13
10-06-2006, 10:14 AM
I think the reason why anyone wouldn't love Comatose is because they want to try to "classify" Skillet as a certain type of band, and then feel disappointed when they find out theyíre wrong. ĎCause really, it's nearly impossible classify Skillet into one genre. Just look at all their different styles since they started! Skillet is a band that makes great music. Not just a great hard rock band. I loved the hard stuff on Collide, I loved the fun stuff on Invincible, and I love the artful stuff on Comatose. It all sounds good to me. But then again, I'm the kind of guy who can make a playlist of Demon Hunter and dc Talk and not skip a beat. lol...maybe that's just me. GO COMATOSE!!!

Ok, first of all, that is not the only reason why someeone would not like Comatose. We all know that Skillet is in all kinds of genres.

I am going to add some thoughts of my own here... and I will not be comparing to Collide.

Personally, though I have not heard the entire cd, the ones I have are.. ok. I think a lot of this album varies by song. For instance, Whispers In The Dark is amazing. Guitars are tearing it up, it just sounds good. Rebirthing is great, has a HUGE and epic sound. And lyrically, this album is one of the best from Skillet. I have every album (except AY Special Edition or whatever it was) and I think that this new cd fits in the lineup well, to show how they have progressed.

The only complaints I have are, from what I have listened to, some of the simpler songs. Yes, the lyrics are good, but for instance, Those Nights sounds like typical punk with a few extras (and better lyrics haha). Not to say I don't like it, it just seems... below what I expected, I guess. I love the song Comatose, but the beginning gets on my nerves haha. One of my favorites so far is Don't Say Goodbye, though I find it slightly predictable.

Overall, I think the album is well balanced. Good outweighs the bad. The harmonies are beautiful on this album. And most of the other things vary by the song, as do most albums. When I hear the whole thing (when it gets here already), maybe I will get a better picture.

I don't know, I think this is a pretty fair picture on my part, I am a huge Skillet fan, since when I started actually listening to music. They got me through a lot of tough times, and helped me spread the words of God.

Ok, and to end this obscenely long thing, here's my advice. If you don't like the CD, buy the individual songs you like on iTunes. Then you don't have to worry about it.

Sorry this is so long, thanks for listening.

BarlowgIRL
10-06-2006, 11:34 AM
I see where he came from. I was kinda disapointed too. Even though Skillet does something new each CD they DID start to get harder. I was expecting something that would rip my face off listening to it. It's bouncier than I was expecting. I love the CD, but I would love it more if it was harder. Skillet got me liking the screaming music cause of Collide so it's kind of dissapointing. But then again, the strings freaking rock my face off!

skilletfreak101
10-06-2006, 11:42 AM
i would love the cd more if they would have gone to their original roots of GRUNGE (their first cd). but God knows that will never happen. their first cd is my all time favorite.

skillet_head
10-06-2006, 11:49 AM
I think it's a pretty good album. So it's not Collide 2, but who cares? It seems like we want our fave bands to go harder and harder, but when they don't, we get disappointed. I just don't get it.

I have to say I like most of the album. It's very passionate. The only song I say I can't really like is "Those nights". Not my fave, but the rest of the album I like.

I think Lyrically, this album blows all the past 5 out of the water! The lyrics are deep and meaningful. This is album seems like it's wrote more for the hurting than the church. And honestly I think this album is a good one to propel them out there for people to relate to their music.

One thing I think that's important from an artist's prospective is that yeah, you want to write music people will enjoy, but also you want to create something you're happy with and maybe never tried. Despite what you all may think, I think Skillet is and should be happy with the record they made.

smileynumber13
10-06-2006, 12:18 PM
I agree, skillet head, if they are happy, then that is what is important. They are doing what they love, and praising God.

The lyrics definately rock my face.

Did I mention that I love the song Comatose's piano parts?

(My cd came in the mail today, I get it when I get home!!!!!)

theelectric3
10-06-2006, 03:32 PM
I see where he came from. I was kinda disapointed too. Even though Skillet does something new each CD they DID start to get harder. I was expecting something that would rip my face off listening to it. It's bouncier than I was expecting. I love the CD, but I would love it more if it was harder. Skillet got me liking the screaming music cause of Collide so it's kind of dissapointing. But then again, the strings freaking rock my face off!

wait until you see them in concert... with these new songs. it's intense. the screaming hasn't left the building...

Trippy
10-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Ooops just look down

Trippy
10-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Or saying something like this:

who never got the streaming audio ? I ordered the tshirt package and got it bit it only works 1 time and the cd and shirt STILL hasnt gotten here yet !

so Im stuck listeng to 30 second clips on Itunes til it comes

kelce20
10-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Electric3 you look hot in that photo by the way....

Luke_USA
10-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Ok, first of all, that is not the only reason why someeone would not like Comatose. We all know that Skillet is in all kinds of genres.

So true, yes.

True story here:

I joined the military when Collide came out and then I spent the next 2 years in Germany and Iraq, so I missed all the hoopla over the album. So, when I got back to the States and started hearing "Savior" on the radio, I was totally blown away! I was frustrated, though, because (seriously) I didn't know who recorded the song and I always seemed to miss the DJ saying whose song it was. Finally, I told myself to memorize a couple of the lines when I next heard it and then put those into Google ("everything's gonna crash and break").

...my response when I saw Skillet's name come up in the search results was along the lines of "You gotta be kidding me - THAT'S Skillet?" ;D I had always liked their songs (though I hadn't ever bought their albums), yet it just proves how flexible, changing, and successful they've been with their music over the years. Comatose takes that one step further and shows just how polished the band has become.

Luke_USA
10-06-2006, 05:07 PM
wait until you see them in concert... with these new songs. it's intense. the screaming hasn't left the building...

grrr...I'm just gonna miss them in Anaheim in December! Why can't they come out to North Carolina here between now and then? :-[

alienyouth9292
10-06-2006, 05:55 PM
i know what u mean- i live in NC, and they never seem to come. but hey, its not their decision....

drummer_punk
10-07-2006, 03:35 PM
I was looking for a thread similiar to this one. Ever since Skillet got signed to a secular record label I was scared to death of two things:

1.) Losing their focus on Christ
2.) Losing their edge, selling-out

Neither of those have really happened yet. Now, I have been a diehard Skillet fan since the "Hey You" albums was released. I've seen them multiple times thru each one of their tours since "Invincible". But on "Comatose" there was one particular track, and a few others, that worry me. "Those Nights" is the poppiest song I have ever heard Skillet play. "Better Than Drugs" goes down that road too. One of the main reasons I adore Skillet is their ability to rock my face off on every single album. Well, three songs of the eleven did that on Comatose. "Rebirthing", "Comatose", and "Whispers in the Dark". Those three have the true mark of Skillet all over them. But the remaining eight don't do much for me. Maybe cuz I was so fricken excited for the album I was expecting perfection. However, I was JUST as excited for their past albums as this one and they all blew me away. I just hope Skillet can stay true to themselves and not compromise for anyone. I know big secular labels have a big say on how they think a band should sound. I worry that the influence from them could adversely effect Skillet. Maybe I'm crazy, I hope I am.

I still love Skillet and always will. For the most part, I do love the album, but it was CLEARLY completely different from their other albums. Much more poppy and mainstream. Lets hope Skillet can continue to create their pure, original rock we've all come to love.

aliensoul_squire20
10-07-2006, 08:04 PM
This is the big brother of AlienSoulSquire. I gotta say that the comment made by this guy is totally bogus and backed up by nothing. There's nothing old school or down graded about this album. They took there collide status and stepped it up seven notches. And as good as the album sounds, its even better live. The only justification i can get of "old school" is on the song Older I Get, and old school is nothing to be down about. I'm sorry to the guy who posted this thread but i don't see how you can justify you accusations about this album. You might have been expecting a harder version of Collide and because thats what you didn't get, you were upset. Personally i think that they did an amazing job with this album. Keep up the good work Skillet.

-PanheadSoldier025

doormonkey
10-07-2006, 08:45 PM
"Those Nights" is the poppiest song I have ever heard Skillet play. "Better Than Drugs" goes down that road too.
Umm...try listening to Better Than Drugs again. Poppy? I think not. Check out those guitars, they remind me of My Obsession.

Luke_USA
10-08-2006, 02:03 PM
i know what u mean- i live in NC, and they never seem to come. but hey, its not their decision....

I know, but it just seems like I barely miss out on seeing the bands I really want to see in concert: Skillet, Third Day, Tree63, etc.

skilletfreak101
10-08-2006, 05:52 PM
"Those Nights" is the poppiest song I have ever heard Skillet play. "Better Than Drugs" goes down that road too.

are you SERIOUS?!?!! i agree with those nights, but "Better Than Drugs" is one of the harder songs of comatose.

smileynumber13
10-09-2006, 09:38 AM
Upon receiving my album in the mail, I decided I should post my final views on it. And the vote goes to:

Awesome album.

I may not like "Those Nights" a whole lot, but this albume is truly great.

I won't go in depth like before, haha, because I doubt you really want me to. But yes, based on further review and nonstop repeating of the cd, I love it.

fifi la bomba
10-09-2006, 10:24 AM
awesome flippin' cd!

'better than drugs' actually gives me a spiritual high when i scream it out in my car! Jesus is better than drugs, and i love that song!

'looking for angels' is amazing! i love the spoken verse!

'falling into the black' is phenomenal! great guitar rifts!

and the two singles (whispers in the dark and rebirthing) are excellent! aaaaahhhh! i love this cd!!!!;D

i love how skillet does something different on every cd! if they always sounded the same, what would be the point of new albums and songs? it be the same thing over and over, and that'd be ok for the first 3 cd's, but then it would stink....

smasth_the_tv
10-09-2006, 10:46 AM
WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU:o :o :o :o :o :o :o ?
SKILLET'S NEW CD IS FREAKIN BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!???
hmph......:(

smasth_the_tv
10-10-2006, 08:27 AM
awesome flippin' cd!

'better than drugs' actually gives me a spiritual high when i scream it out in my car! Jesus is better than drugs, and i love that song!

'looking for angels' is amazing! i love the spoken verse!

'falling into the black' is phenomenal! great guitar rifts!

and the two singles (whispers in the dark and rebirthing) are excellent! aaaaahhhh! i love this cd!!!!;D

i love how skillet does something different on every cd! if they always sounded the same, what would be the point of new albums and songs? it be the same thing over and over, and that'd be ok for the first 3 cd's, but then it would stink....

u were gettin that spiritual high 2?!
:azn: right on man!

fifi la bomba
10-10-2006, 09:17 AM
yes totally! that song is the bomb! and could totally be used for ministry for ex-junkies.... jsut a thought :)

drummer_punk82
10-10-2006, 05:35 PM
This is a rebuttal of the post I made above. ::] For some reason I decided to prematurely give an opinion on Comatose before I could form a true opinion of it. Skillet always tries something new and different in every album. I should expect that by now. Especially after being a fan of them for over 7 years.
After such an incredible hard, smack-your-mama-heavy music on Collide I was taken back by some of the more laid back songs from Comatose. However, I do see more and more the different type of heaviness and pure energy this new album has. I love it. Comatose is an incredibly orchestrated album that as so much to offer. Incredible lyrics like always, and awesome powerful music to back it all up. Comatose gets a two thumbs up from me. Skillet of course has my 100% support. Great album guys.;D

Ricky1
10-12-2006, 08:10 AM
I love how nobody seems to notice that the 'thread-starter' is almost apologetic in later posts. To everybody who hasn't noticed that, the opinion has changed somewhat.

Now, as for my opinion.
I think that those of you who wanted a cookie-cutter Collide clone should be dissapointed. If that's what you wanted and expected, then it's quite obvious that you didn't look far into Skillet's history. There are no two Skillet CDs that are exactly the same, not even AY and Invincible. The band has always evolved, and not always into a harder-edged category. If they lost that, they would be just another Christian band that sold out to their mainstream label.

To me, this CD is really the heart of Skillet--changing their sound to reach an audience that God hasn't touched yet. It is not a CD made to satisfy fans of Collide, Panheads maybe, but not Collide-heads.
I think that in the end the CD is really only in existence to bring people to God, and I know that it will do that; it's already done that to some of my friends. And in response to the anti-Comatosers, I really don't care if some people don't like the music, because I know that the lyrics have made a difference for Christ that Collide never did. So let's drop the debate on stylistic preferences and get down to what's important: this CD has the ability to change lives. Let's praise it for that, and use it to that end, rather than argue about it. Music is not the end of the world, but salvation through Christ is.

May God bless Skillet, and may He reach out through Comatose, whether or not it's our personal favorite.

-Eric

theinvaded
10-12-2006, 12:16 PM
I appreciate Skillet's continued effort to change things up, I agree that that is what makes Skillet Skillet.
But it takes more than changing style to be good - there should also be improvement, or at least steady quality between releases. Comatose is a change in style, and I think they do show improvement in a couple aspects - the integration of Korey's vocals, the string arrangements, the production sound of the guitars - but I also feel the band has stepped backwards and gotten worse in other ways, in some ways musically and especially lyrically.

GuitarHero
10-12-2006, 01:51 PM
i love the cd it rocks i love how they r always changing i just wish they screamed some lol

drummer_punk82
10-12-2006, 01:57 PM
Especially lyrically? ??? Wow. My humble opinion is that Comatose has some of the most powerful, strongest lyrics to date. I remember in an early interview with John Cooper he as saying how they were really concentrating on the vocals and lyrics on Comatose. It really does show. John and Korey have very strong vocals as well as lyrics, IMHO again.

theelectric3
10-12-2006, 02:01 PM
i agree with drummer_punk82. i don't think Skillet's songwriting has gotten weaker... not at all.

vocally, i like how John's voice is not as raspy and has more of a clear, strong feel to it.

Unregistered
10-12-2006, 02:45 PM
It's a hit or miss album...many of the songs are great. But there are quite a few that are sleepy-time songs too.
Too many slow songs clogs down the album. They don't feel liek they belong on the album....no dramatics too them...just slowwwwwwww

neb0789
10-12-2006, 03:49 PM
i miss the raspyness, i hope it comes back in another album

DarkestRose
10-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Especially lyrically? ??? Wow. My humble opinion is that Comatose has some of the most powerful, strongest lyrics to date. I remember in an early interview with John Cooper he as saying how they were really concentrating on the vocals and lyrics on Comatose. It really does show. John and Korey have very strong vocals as well as lyrics, IMHO again.

I think their lyrics have definately improved and are much stronger than on their previous albums. Vocals are great too. I loved John's raspy voice, but I like how he sounds on Comatose as well. Korey's vocals are just beautiful.

rkcguitar
10-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Yea, Korey's vocals are for sure great and are a great addition to this album. I think this album is their best lyric wise, but that's just my opinion. The lyrics are a whole lot deeper than past ones.

dawn of light
10-13-2006, 06:27 AM
i miss the raspyness, i hope it comes back in another album
Me too! It makes his voice really unique, I've always loved it.

Skynes and Laura...
I understand what you're saying about the lyrics on Comatose. Personally, I love them for how they affect me. I do truly believe that they spent a lot of time and prayer on the lyrics and that they'll lead people to Christ through their music.

But I'm just curious, did you have the same kind of reaction to the lyrics on Collide? Because as I was reading your posts, I remembered that my initial reaction to Collide was exactly like yours is about Comatose. I even remember saying to one of my friends "They don't even mention Jesus or God, a non-Christian would just think this is a love song" about Under My Skin (which is my fav song on Collide).

Oh the sweet serenity
I'm beautifully addicted
You are more than I can take
I crave you undiluted
You calm the ache, I come awake
When you are everything you are
Feel the fear dissipate
You carry me away

At first I was really disappointed with the lyrics on Collide (like you two seem to be about Comatose). I kept listening to the CD and I loved it more and more as time went on. I know that those lyrics are about Christ and when I'm alone and I'm singing along to Skillet music I sing them to Jesus. One of the biggest reasons I've loved Skillet's lyrics for so long is because they always have songs that I can sing to Jesus not just about Him. As for non-Christians who buy their cd, my hope and prayer is that they'll realize and know that Skillet is singing about a greater hope and a greater love than anyone can find in another human being. It may not be the "deciding factor" about someone accepting Christ but at least it will inspire them to look for something more to life.

Matthew 7:7-8
7 ďAsk, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.

If someone is really seeking the truth, God will lead them to it. I also believe that non-Christians who come to see Skillet in a show could be very impacted and lead to Jesus.

I think Skillet's main focus on this album was to be relevant to hurting people, which I think they did a very good job of. Yes, I will admit, I would love it if they were a little more blatant about what the songs are about, but I don't think the lyrics should be deemed "uneffective" because of that.

Oh yeah, about that Post Modernism comment you (Scott) made...I think you might have misunderstood me. What I meant was that lyrics can have different meanings at the same time. I was actually thinking about "Song of Solomon" when I wrote that comment. It's about love between a man and woman and between Christ and the church at the same time. I kind of think of Yours to Hold that way too.

neb0789
10-13-2006, 06:04 PM
i must say that it takes a briliant song writing so that a song can mean many different things, depending on people's experiences in their own lives, it makes songs so much more revelant, and thats another aspect of Comatose that i love

aliensoul_squire20
10-14-2006, 08:55 AM
Just got my copy of Comatose today, so I can put my full intput into this topic.

1: This album is freakin' A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!
2: Who cares if "Those Nights" is kinda poppy? It's not so far down that road that it's awful. I think that it's a really great song, and it's relevant to what I feel right now.
3: "Better Than Drugs" does NOT follow the poppy road, it's all rock-your-face-off.
4: The begining of the intro for "Comatose" kinda creeps me out.
5: The lyrics for all the songs really wow me, and the music for some of the songs isn't what I expected, but way better
6: Skillet deffinatly didn't "fizzle". If a day ever comes when they do, I will probably cry, and i mean it. Because if the band that truely started my love for music ever comes out with a bad album, it will be the biggest let-down of all time for me.

alienyouth9292
10-14-2006, 05:29 PM
if skillet wants to reach out to non-christians, they obviously can't mention God in their songs. skillet is doing a beautiful job of having spirtual lyrics that mean alot to christians, and having spiritual lyrics that mean alot to non-christians, but maybe in different ways.....

Audio-Slave
10-16-2006, 04:27 AM
(keep in mind that I've only heard Rebirthing, Whispers, and Comatose from the new album)

Well I have to say, I like the heavy metal direction Skillet took with Collide more than their techno sound (though the techno sound is still good, I just prefer their heavy stuff). And from what I've heard, it seems that Skillet are staying in that direction, maybe? Whatever, I'm buying it, no doubt.

Destiny
10-16-2006, 09:44 AM
I'm not really crazy about the slow songs on the album but everything else is amazing.

theinvaded
10-16-2006, 11:28 AM
if skillet wants to reach out to non-christians, they obviously can't mention God in their songs. skillet is doing a beautiful job of having spirtual lyrics that mean alot to christians, and having spiritual lyrics that mean alot to non-christians, but maybe in different ways.....

For the most part, yeah. It seems that for a Christian artist to have a chance to become popular in the mainsteam, they have to disguise or viel their Christian message. Which is ironic, given so many of my non-Christian friends saying they "listen for the music and not the words...." But I'd also argue that many Christian artists are just as bland and vague...singing about the same thing over and over rather than presenting it in new ways...

John seemed pretty set on not repeating the cheesiness found in some of his past lyrics - didn't he say "Energy" was his least favorite song from Collide? And yet..."Better than Drugs", could be the cheesiest thing he's ever written. A couple other songs are borderline cheesy too. And the softer songs...feel so bland and vague to me. I loved "A Little More", yet these new love songs don't share the same beauty somehow...perhaps its more that the music doesn't interest me nearly as much...

planet_kosmos
10-16-2006, 01:56 PM
Postmodernism, it can mean something to each individual person, when the songs i.e Comatose and Better Than Drugs are referring to God, the responder can mistake the 'you' for a loved one and find hope in them which is false hope.

alienyouth9292
10-16-2006, 03:18 PM
it is very hard to do what skillet is doing. i think that we should suport them all the way.

alienyouth9292
10-16-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm not really crazy about the slow songs on the album but everything else is amazing.

i think that the slow songs on this cd rock. they showcase jon's great voice...;D

TheFireBreathes
10-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Postmodernism, it can mean something to each individual person, when the songs i.e Comatose and Better Than Drugs are referring to God, the responder can mistake the 'you' for a loved one and find hope in them which is false hope.

Maybe we shouldn't worry about the how we think people are gonna react to the lyrics, but instead just trust in God.

alienyouth9292
10-16-2006, 03:41 PM
totaly agree with you, brett. as christians, we should allow GOD to take the music and minister to people in His own way.

drummer_punk82
10-16-2006, 03:42 PM
All I can say to everyone who doesn't like the album is to listen to it at least 3-5 times through. For me, Comatose was my LEAST favorite Skillet album until I started to figure it out. It is such a different album in that it's depth is greatly hidden and eluding. Listening to songs like "Those Nights" and even "Better Than Drugs" could give the impression Skillet has lost some of their lyrical edge. But over a few listens, I suddenly started hearing what the band was really trying to say, what they were really feeling. It is quite powerful and huge actually. Don't form a rock-solid opinion on Comatose until you've heard it several times through. I almost did and it was almost a big mistake.

planet_kosmos
10-16-2006, 11:47 PM
Maybe we shouldn't worry about the how we think people are gonna react to the lyrics, but instead just trust in God.

I'm praying.

timmyrotter
10-17-2006, 12:18 AM
you poeple! why? why do you insist upon becoming all qrapped up in this matter? Skillet isnt forasaking their christian imag in any way! get over it! it seems like we have this same discussion ever 6 months! it was bad enough when collide came out. now its happening again. you act like skillet is trapped in some sin. when in fact its quite opposite.
even if skillet did forsake thier christian roots, not denounce thier faith jsut put this so called "veil" over thier image, shouldnt you as fans stand behind them?

so when someone goes out to witness, do you shun him because he is chillin with hoes and fornicators? did Jesus himself not do that?

DarkestRose
10-17-2006, 01:12 AM
I am so sick of arguing the "Skillet did not sell out" position. I believe and stand fully in my position which has already been stated. I know some other people disagree with it and that's fine. I suppose it's fine to settle in "to each his own" as far as this debate goes since not many people are changing their minds.

Unregistered
10-17-2006, 04:54 PM
There's no point in arguing about whether or not you like it. As a Skillet fan from day one, I personally dislike this record with intensity. I could list my reasons. I could write a lengthy essay on the flaws with the record, from the lyrics to the music.

It simply won't change anybody's mind. You will like it if you wish, and nobody's words will change your mind. Yet at the same time if somebody dislikes the record, you aren't going to be able to change his mind with your "facts" about what the record does or does not sound like.

I would not have purchased Comatose if it was not a Skillet cd. I am, however, glad that their hearts are in a good place. They want to reach people. Whatever else is going on in regards to the album, their priority is people and reaching them for Christ. God will use many ways to reach people, even "bad" art. Which is subjective. Even when I review this record for a certain site, I will not insult or deride the band even as I give the record a negative review. Because they are real people with good hearts. I can't in conscience give the record a positive review, but I can review it without being a jerk.

theelectric3
10-22-2006, 04:31 PM

simple and true.

Audio-Slave
10-24-2006, 08:12 PM
Comatose gives me more of a feeling of a Christian worship album while Collide gives me more of a feeling of a heavy metal album. Either way, I love them both. Either Comatose or Collide is my favorite Skillet album. It's hard for me to choose.

tootall
10-25-2006, 05:17 AM
I slightly prefer the harder sound of Collide. But, Comatose is a great buy.

Buy A+
Pauses and tempo changes A+
Korey singing A+ (I came in with Collide, mostly what I know)
Band image B (I would have given Collide image a D)
John's hair D (puffy mohawk something another) LOL

Not a fizzle at all in my opinion. I love the name of Jesus, and miss that, but anyone interested will look deeper. Salt!

alienyouth9292
10-25-2006, 12:48 PM
I slightly prefer the harder sound of Collide. But, Comatose is a great buy.

Buy A+
Pauses and tempo changes A+
Korey singing A+ (I came in with Collide, mostly what I know)
Band image B (I would have given Collide image a D)
John's hair D (puffy mohawk something another) LOL

Not a fizzle at all in my opinion. I love the name of Jesus, and miss that, but anyone interested will look deeper. Salt!

why would you give skillet's "collide" band image a D????

tootall
10-26-2006, 05:58 AM
Sorry for the vague statement. I was just typing off the cuff. To be more specific, I was comparing how they appeared in concert during Collide vs. what I see on the back of the CD for Comatose. Won't go into details, just I had a quick impression of some relief for seeing the band on the back of the CD. But the picture in the CD for Collide was nothing like what you saw in concert. blah blah blah. I was mainly just having fun taking a pot shot at John's hair. :) It was meant in humor. You know humor, the rubber sword. It is meant to make a point, but not draw blood. LOL