somasoul
10-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Mother Of Murdered Boy Charged
Thursday, October 05, 2006
WBAL Radio and The Associated Press

Shortly after her son was killed, Shonda Harris talked to WBAL-TV about her decision to let convicted child sex offender Melvin Jones take care of her son.

Baltimore police today arrested the mother of a boy who was murdered this summer, allegedly by a convicted sex offender.

Prosecutors said 41-year-old Shanda Harris was charged with one count of reckless endangerment and four counts of criminal neglect.

The body of her son, 11-year-old Irvin Harris, was found on a municipal golf course near his home on July 31, three days after he disappeared. Police charged 52-year-old Melvin Jones Junior, a twice convicted sex offender, with the murder.

After a child welfare investigation, authorities charged Harris with failing to take the appropriate steps to keep Jones away from her children. Police believe Harris has known about Jones' prior convictions since 2002 .

Over the summer this small boy was killed by a registered sex offender. The mother, who knew of the man's record, let the man babysit her children.

Now she is being charged with reckless endangerment.

I couldn't disagree more.

terrasin
10-06-2006, 12:06 AM
I don't know, I'm kind of 50/50 on this issue.

Normally, I don't like the idea that the government has the ability to tell you how you can do things like raise your children. I find it very sad that you can't even spank them without some activist from some group trying to get you put away for disciplining your own child and I am completely against any activist group, including Child Protective Services having the ability to be able to take your child for such. Or even like a few months ago, because of a miscommunication, a child got left at one of those Chucky Cheese places when the mother thought that her kid was going to stay with his cousins. In the 80's, it was like "Ok, mistake was made, we're glad you're safe, and we're over it." However, this is not the 80's. She had her child taken away from her and is now staying with said cousins while there is a court date to decide what will be done because CPS believes this is a case of neglect. Not cool at all.

Now there are exceptions, such as if a child is truly being physically abused. However, I don't believe at all that disciplining is abuse.

In this case though, the mother knew about this person was a sex offender, yet she still left her child with him? The article doesn't really tell enough about the relationship between the mom and the offender, or what he was charged with in his previous conviction, but why would she leave her child alone with a sex offender, no matter how much she thought she knew about him?

CJ

DarkestRose
10-06-2006, 01:02 AM
Yeah. I really wonder what the mother was doing if she knew he was a sex offender. I mean, did she think he was recovered now but turns out she was wrong? Or did she really know and not think anything of it? I would think that if a mother knew someone was a sex offender, he wouldn't be who she would turn to for baby-sitting. I mean, if he was a close family friend or something, I might understand a little more. But the article has a lot of holes where information would help understand the situation more clearly.

But I agree with Terrasin that stuff like the Chuck E. Cheese incident is ridiculous and shouldn't happen. So I'm not totally sure where to stand since I don't fully understand the situation.