kittygirl
10-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Alright...this has been something that has been on my mind lately. I believe that just because someone gives you something, that doesn't mean you have to keep it.

I have been going through my clothes, shoes, cds, books, movies, jewelry, etc. And what I have gotten rid of, I have not used, or if I have, I've only worn/used it once.

what do you guys think about sorting through things?
Me personally...I don't believe in having alot of things anymore. Our culture puts alot of value in things, which equal status.

And God has been changing my heart concerning money, and possesions.

What are some of your thoughts about this?

pizza brain
10-09-2006, 07:25 PM
"If you dont use it and it doesn't have alot of sentimental value get ride of it" thats my philosophy on it.

terrasin
10-09-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm a pack rat. I get rid of NOTHING. :P

CJ

kittygirl
10-10-2006, 11:34 AM
hehe. I used to be...I felt convicted (not by one of those "Feed the Children" ads btw). I was like "Do I really use all this stuff? Nooo..."

Luke_USA
10-10-2006, 10:43 PM
I'm a pack rat. I get rid of NOTHING. :P

lol, that's my problem as well. It's about time for another major housecleaning. ;D

lamb_servant72
10-11-2006, 02:42 AM
I am the opposite of a packrat! (Hhmm...what would that be called?)

My grandmother and some of her children are packrats, and I have determined not to live like that! My motto: If it's not beautiful or useful, don't keep it. Also (a biggie for packrats): I will not let the beaufiful memories of the past interfere with my present.

I agree, Rachel. When I was about 17, I decided to sell my jewelry and give the money to missions. I just felt bad that I was adorning myself so expensively when there were starving children in the world.

I love reading scripture on giving. Let's start a thread on giving in Lighting the Path. I can't do it now, because, as usual, I'm late getting ready for work because I'm on PH!

planet_kosmos
10-11-2006, 03:09 AM
Ok, I will start it Lisa.

theelectric3
10-11-2006, 12:39 PM
i try to go through my stuff every few months... sometimes not that frequent... but just continually going through what i have. i always feel better after giving stuff away.

it is better to give than to receive.

unshakeable15
10-11-2006, 01:20 PM
i've been trying to live by the rule of simplicity. But it does take work. i have said for over a month that i'm gonna go through my CDs and sell the ones i don't listen to any longer (Rebecca St. James anyone...), but i have yet to do it.

kittygirl
10-11-2006, 03:43 PM
well, I had a WHOLE box of burnt cds, that's the only thing about burning cds. It's so cheap, people do it for you, or you just go 'yeah, sure, burn it for me.'
but I didn't listen to more than half of them. I *had* about 150 cds, but now I have about 100. Or less

lamb_servant72
10-11-2006, 03:54 PM
I'm a minimalist. I have eight CD's. Seven are by the same artist.;D

m_money618
10-11-2006, 04:32 PM
most of the stuff i have is really important to me, that's why i have it. my problem is i keep stuff to remind me of the past, the way things used to be, and i wish i wouldn't do that so much.

dawn of light
10-12-2006, 05:07 AM
When I moved out of my parents' place I got rid of a lot of stuff. We had lived in the same house for fourteen years so I had a lot of years to accumulate junk. So now I really don't have that much stuff except for extra clothes. I have a lot of clothes that I don't wear anymore but I want to keep them "just in case". (I should really get rid of them!) Everything else, I either use or is of sentimental value.

NightCrawler
10-12-2006, 08:37 PM
I am the opposite of a packrat! (Hhmm...what would that be called?)
A shedding snake?

theinvaded
10-12-2006, 10:23 PM
I recently moved and ditched/gave away a lot of my stuff. It's amazing how much junk I gather in such a short time...it felt great to be rid of the extra baggage and keep only what really mattered to me.