soleil
10-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Without going into details, I'd like to say that Comatose is one of the most impactful cd's I've ever heard, and for good reason.

a slightly graphic story

I grew up in extreme poverty (my house was literally a garage renovated into a house), and as such, became a member of the system. I've been through foster homes, homelessness and so much more. I've seen a lot of hurt in my life, coming from every facet of life - abuse, correctional facilities, and friends attempting suicide by cutting. I've pretty well done and seen it all in my life, so at this point nothing is taboo - nothing is a secret.

The only constant thing I had through my life was music. I can personally brag a 1000+cd collection over the span of 8 years. In my younger years, I was an avid follower of marilyn manson and kurt cobain of nirvana. the angst fueled the bitterness I had from my abusive past, and helped me survive when I was alone. One band I also enjoyed in my collection was Skillet. In all my suicide-ridden music, they were there - a guiding light.

In the past few years, I've grown up, matured, and got my head together. But in the same timeframe, I've also noticed something different. I may no longer be commiting crimes, but I'm helping the people who do commit them grow as people coming out of jail.

Where does comatose fit in? Well if you heard it, you would immediately know why this would be an impact on me. It's really opening my eyes in agreement to the problems around us all. Several of the songs directly relate to people I know first hand, and myself as well. I give props to skillet because of this cd.

And now you've heard a crazy story. I just wish I could give the band my thanks.

neb0789
10-09-2006, 08:13 PM
hey man, thanks for the story.

as for me, why comatose is changing my life... comatose is encouraging me to be all that i can be. you know, not just going along with the croud, but trying to set an example and living like jesus and spread the word about him.

i go to a school where alcohol is a major problem(i know it isn't just here, it's a problem across the nation), i know of only a few people that don't get wasted on weekends. there are a growing number of people who use drugs and i don't want to know how much sex is going on. it is really sad.

i really want to change the way things are going, but what are you supposed to tell people that don't know the difference between right and wrong, people that just don't care, people that have parents just as bad as them? i'll keep praying about this for now.

so feel free to give advice, i'm sure there are others in a situation like this wondering what to do.

god bless you all, and lets start something positive in this world, spread word about comatose, but don't stop there...

BondageDuck
10-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Wow, what a fantastic story. Thanks for sharing, I'm sure Skillet would be ecstatic to hear what an impact they've made on you! :)

drummer_punk82
10-10-2006, 05:44 PM
Awesome man, I am so glad you found something like "Comatose". Music can be an incredibly powerful thing.

skilletfreak101
10-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Without going into details, I'd like to say that Comatose is one of the most impactful cd's I've ever heard, and for good reason.

a slightly graphic story

I grew up in extreme poverty (my house was literally a garage renovated into a house), and as such, became a member of the system. I've been through foster homes, homelessness and so much more. I've seen a lot of hurt in my life, coming from every facet of life - abuse, correctional facilities, and friends attempting suicide by cutting. I've pretty well done and seen it all in my life, so at this point nothing is taboo - nothing is a secret.

The only constant thing I had through my life was music. I can personally brag a 1000+cd collection over the span of 8 years. In my younger years, I was an avid follower of marilyn manson and kurt cobain of nirvana. the angst fueled the bitterness I had from my abusive past, and helped me survive when I was alone. One band I also enjoyed in my collection was Skillet. In all my suicide-ridden music, they were there - a guiding light.

In the past few years, I've grown up, matured, and got my head together. But in the same timeframe, I've also noticed something different. I may no longer be commiting crimes, but I'm helping the people who do commit them grow as people coming out of jail.

Where does comatose fit in? Well if you heard it, you would immediately know why this would be an impact on me. It's really opening my eyes in agreement to the problems around us all. Several of the songs directly relate to people I know first hand, and myself as well. I give props to skillet because of this cd.

And now you've heard a crazy story. I just wish I could give the band my thanks.
wow dude thanks so much for sharing that. i know that skillet would love to hear your testimony. you should definately go to one of their shows sometime and then talk to them after a show.

DarkestRose
10-12-2006, 12:18 AM
That is such a great testimony. So I am very excited to hear that the band was able to influence you in such a positive way. I agree with the above poster that Skillet would be really encouraged to hear your story.