Tanel
10-12-2006, 02:06 PM
I found this on Pillar forums

Hey, I think it would be great to one day see a Pillar video on MTV. Go to MTV.com and Register. After you register follow these easy steps to request Pillar:

Click "On TV"
choose "TRL"
go to "Vote"
scroll all the way to the bottom where it says "other"
manually type in Pillar as the artist, and "Everything" as the video.

Even if they don't make it on trl maybe they'll play their video on something else if there's enough votes. Get voting.

Well, all you have to do is replace Pillar with Skillet and Everything with Rebirthing.

terrasin
10-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Takes a little more than getting a couple people to vote for a song to get it on MTV. I'm really hoping Atlantic pushes the Whispers video in their direction though.

CJ

DarkestRose
10-12-2006, 09:28 PM
It would be pretty cool to see Skillet on TRL.

rkcguitar
10-12-2006, 09:31 PM
As much as I would love to see Skillet on tv like that I don't care for TRL at all. It's all about this teenager style music like Simple Plan and so on.... I would love to see Skillet on VH1 though. Skillet seems to be way more mature and developed to be on TRL. If they would happen to get on there though then I would for sure vote for them!

DarkestRose
10-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Well, I don't get TRL at my house and I'm not an MTV fan at all, but it would still be cool for the sake of Skillet getting more "out there" and reaching more of an audience. And MTV would have some good music for once.

rkcguitar
10-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Yea, that's true that Skillet would be getting their music out there, but is TRL mature enough? VH1 or even Fuse would be the more ideal place. I don't know, I just have mixed feelings about TRL and the whole MTV thing. Switchfoot has never been on TRL and they're doing good.

DarkestRose
10-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Yeah, but Switchfoot has been on MTV before. I think it would also be cool to see them on VH1 and stuff. Just as long as the band and their message is getting promoted. I can understand feeling reserved about MTV. I am not a fan of it all.

terrasin
10-13-2006, 01:55 AM
TRL = HUGE promotion. It would be awesome to get a Skillet vid on there.

CJ

DarkestRose
10-13-2006, 05:07 AM
That would be a big promotion, which is pretty much why I am for them being on TRL even though I don't like MTV. The station has had Flyleaf on though, so why not Skillet?

timmyrotter
10-13-2006, 08:41 PM
if you do vote, vote for Whispers in the DArk, that video actually has a chance

Tanel
10-14-2006, 06:17 AM
I don't watch MTV either, cause I don't listen to crap nor do I listen to nonchristian music, but it would be a huge promotion if Skillet would be on there.

neb0789
10-16-2006, 05:09 PM
does anyone have any idea how long it takes for new stuff to move up the charts and stuff? cause i really want to see skillet get far up there, seeing that this album is the most likely to do so(being backed by atlantic helps). i just thought i'd ask some people who know more about that stuff than me.

skilletfreak101
10-16-2006, 07:40 PM
as much as i hate mtv, that would be cool to see skillet get on there because they would no doubt reach out to way more people who are lost...and in my opinion anyone who watches mtv is very lost in their ways (hehe). go FUSE!

terrasin
10-16-2006, 08:31 PM
It's going to take a lot more than 25 people voting for them on MTV. Plus, the Whispers vid isn't even released yet. Not sure what the hold up is.

CJ

Audio-Slave
10-16-2006, 08:57 PM
I don't want Skillet to be on mtv. I'd like them to stay the status they are. Y'know, not too popular. They're getting enough money now anyways.

DarkestRose
10-16-2006, 10:54 PM
I don't want Skillet to be on mtv. I'd like them to stay the status they are. Y'know, not too popular. They're getting enough money now anyways.

It is not really about the money though, but the outreach. The truth is that there are a lot of people in the world who could really be receptive to the message of hope that Skillet has, especially with their songs from Collide and Comatose that deal with issues relevant to that generation, songs like "Imperfection," "The Last Night," "Comatose" and songs like that. The hope is not to make Skillet a rock legend (though that'd be kinda cool), but to be sure that people have a chance to hear their message and benefit from it.

planet_kosmos
10-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Skillet on mtv, no one would know that it was a christian band! How sad! A great opportunity for outreach. But oh no! There is no mention of God.
The hope is not to make Skillet a rock legend (though that'd be kinda cool), but to be sure that people have a chance to hear their message and benefit from it.
What message? What christian message is it possible to obtain from any of the songs on Comatose?

timmyrotter
10-16-2006, 11:20 PM
someone is upset... wow how can people be so ignorant? skillet is more outspoken about thier faith than any other crossover band i have heard. so why are you complaining about them not doing enough? they could be like the newboys and make a million worship albums to God, but what does he benifit from that? instead, bands like skillet are actually doing things to reach out to a hurting poeple. and they need thier fans to support them, and you shouldnt dog on em because they dont say god in every song.
ive heard several artists say this now, Randy torres(project 86 guitarist) said something like this "am i listening to pop music becuase im sad, or am i sad because im listenign to pop music" (something along those lines) the point being, there is so much negativity in music today, and if skillet, and bands like them brging a positive message in a dark place, saves a life, takes away pain, or even brightens someones day. hasetn something good been accomplished? there are many crossover bands doing that now. but Skillet is being even more outspoken about thier faith than most, and you are still compaining? think about it? what would be wrong for skillets music being played before millions through mtv, vhi, and fuse?

planet_kosmos
10-16-2006, 11:39 PM
I have nothing wrong with their music being played a million times on mtv or any other TV show.

instead, bands like skillet are actually doing things to reach out to a hurting poeple. and they need thier fans to support them, and you shouldnt dog on em because they dont say god in every song.

They don't have to say God in every song because quite frankly some of their songs aren't about God, Yours To Hold for example.

there is so much negativity in music today, and if skillet, and bands like them brging a positive message in a dark place, saves a life, takes away pain, or even brightens someones day. hasetn something good been accomplished? there are many crossover bands doing that now.
But what will this positive message be? Where will their hope be found? The responder has to know who the band is referring to in songs like Better than Drugs and Comatose, otherwise they will mistake it for being about a loved one for example which is wrong.

timmyrotter
10-17-2006, 12:09 AM
I have nothing wrong with their music being played a million times on mtv or any other TV show.

They don't have to say God in every song because quite frankly some of their songs aren't about God, Yours To Hold for example.

But what will this positive message be? Where will their hope be found? The responder has to know who the band is referring to in songs like Better than Drugs and Comatose, otherwise they will mistake it for being about a loved one for example which is wrong.
so what if people interperate things differently, they can apply it any way they want. that happends with all kkinds of music. i think even more so with secular bands, and christian trying to find spiritual meaning in thier songs

DarkestRose
10-17-2006, 01:14 AM
Skillet on mtv, no one would know that it was a christian band! How sad! A great opportunity for outreach. But oh no! There is no mention of God.

What message? What christian message is it possible to obtain from any of the songs on Comatose?

Do we really have to drag this on to another thread? I just got done stating that I was through arguing the same thing over and over again. There is no need to resurrect this argument. It is beating a dead horse.

DarkestRose
10-17-2006, 01:16 AM
someone is upset... wow how can people be so ignorant? skillet is more outspoken about thier faith than any other crossover band i have heard. so why are you complaining about them not doing enough? they could be like the newboys and make a million worship albums to God, but what does he benifit from that? instead, bands like skillet are actually doing things to reach out to a hurting poeple. and they need thier fans to support them, and you shouldnt dog on em because they dont say god in every song.
ive heard several artists say this now, Randy torres(project 86 guitarist) said something like this "am i listening to pop music becuase im sad, or am i sad because im listenign to pop music" (something along those lines) the point being, there is so much negativity in music today, and if skillet, and bands like them brging a positive message in a dark place, saves a life, takes away pain, or even brightens someones day. hasetn something good been accomplished? there are many crossover bands doing that now. but Skillet is being even more outspoken about thier faith than most, and you are still compaining? think about it? what would be wrong for skillets music being played before millions through mtv, vhi, and fuse?

That is pretty much how I feel.

(Although on a side note: Flyleaf is a cross-over band which is very open about their faith as well.)

planet_kosmos
10-17-2006, 03:10 AM
Ok, I won't drag this over onto another thread.

Starbucks5721
10-17-2006, 04:05 AM
The hope is not to make Skillet a rock legend (though that'd be kinda cool), but to be sure that people have a chance to hear their message and benefit from it.

LOL I'd make 'em a rock legend. Who wouldnt want a rock legend that rocks out and praises God and brings people to Christ all at the same time?? I think people are beginning to hear them loud and clear! ^_^

Audio-Slave
10-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Do you people really think that the people at mtv will be inspired by Skillet's message?

The people on mtv are only about the money. They don't give a crap what your message is. If you look good, or are a rapper, or will be willing to stip in your video, then mtv will take you. Skillet has always been, and always will be, too good for mtv.

DarkestRose
10-20-2006, 06:29 AM
Do you people really think that the people at mtv will be inspired by Skillet's message?

The people on mtv are only about the money. They don't give a crap what your message is. If you look good, or are a rapper, or will be willing to stip in your video, then mtv will take you. Skillet has always been, and always will be, too good for mtv.

Well, bands like Switchfoot and Flyleaf have done pretty well on MTV. They have a message in their lyrics that gets people thinking. Maybe MTV or the media in general isn't so keen on "the message" but I think a lot of adolescents will be interested in what they have to say.

LeShep
10-20-2006, 06:20 PM

I think ur point is correct but on that same point those are the ones that need to be broken down and put into true lives and show true life not the slutty video type... if ones makes it the rest will follow... I know this is a bad example but look at eminem.. he got aways with alot of stuff and the rest followed.... why not let Skillet turn it around in the right direction? I would love to see Skillet and more like them on trl.. vh1 and fuse or any other channel that has respectful music.. for me and my kids too.

Audio-Slave
10-20-2006, 07:07 PM
I get what you guys are saying, but if they make it on trl (I still hope not), then the fame better not go to their heads.

unshakeable15
10-20-2006, 09:38 PM
They are well-grounded. They have been doing this (discounting Ben) for a good number of years (and Ben has still been at for a couple albums), so they have the background of having relatively few, but solid, followers and know they don't need billions of records selling or have only the red and green M&Ms in their trailer before a show.

DarkestRose
10-21-2006, 07:24 AM
they don't need billions of records selling or have only the red and green M&Ms in their trailer before a show.

Or red and green Skittles. :lick:

alienyouth9292
10-21-2006, 10:01 AM
i am all for getting skillet on mtv. if they get on there, God will do the rest....

Audio-Slave
10-26-2006, 08:16 PM
They are well-grounded. They have been doing this (discounting Ben) for a good number of years (and Ben has still been at for a couple albums), so they have the background of having relatively few, but solid, followers and know they don't need billions of records selling or have only the red and green M&Ms in their trailer before a show.
I totally agree with you.

Vuren
11-01-2006, 09:08 PM
TRL is not something would perfer to see skillet on, i remember in high school there was a missori synod church here in town that had ever other friday an open night where teenagers could go and play games(video games, fooseball, movies, watch tv) and stay out of trouble, but there was a program on it that resemebled TRL but did mostly Religous orientated Music(it's where i first introduced to 12 stones when "the way i feel" had just been put out) but, for some reason that feels more...fitting, i view mtv as nothing more then whoreing out song meanings and the vision(tm) behind a bands inspiration(besides that could you honestly see something like say comatose being followed by kalyis "milkshake" or something from fergie?

DarkestRose
11-01-2006, 09:21 PM
TRL is not something would perfer to see skillet on, i remember in high school there was a missori synod church here in town that had ever other friday an open night where teenagers could go and play games(video games, fooseball, movies, watch tv) and stay out of trouble, but there was a program on it that resemebled TRL but did mostly Religous orientated Music(it's where i first introduced to 12 stones when "the way i feel" had just been put out) but, for some reason that feels more...fitting, i view mtv as nothing more then whoreing out song meanings and the vision(tm) behind a bands inspiration(besides that could you honestly see something like say comatose being followed by kalyis "milkshake" or something from fergie?

I understand what you are saying. Yet, I really do not want Skillet to stay on the religious stations because it ends up that we just create a little Christian bubble in the world where Christian bands entertain Christian kids and we expect everyone else to come into that bubble. I like the idea of not just Skillet, but lots of Christian bands coming into the mainstream music market, showing up on MTV, VH1 and all those stations. I think their message is relevent to the world and I want it to at least have a chance out there. Yeah, there is a lot of lame music on the mainstream market, but those artists are liked because they are "cool" to some people. I think that if bands with beliefs and passion came out, people would care because people want substance. You know? Those are just my thoughts on the matter.

Vuren
11-01-2006, 09:27 PM
so what if people interperate things differently, they can apply it any way they want. that happends with all kkinds of music. i think even more so with secular bands, and christian trying to find spiritual meaning in thier songs

Agreed, personally, i'm not a christian(nor am i an athiest i have no clue what i am, i do believe in a higher power, i'm just not sure if it's the christian one, the jewish one, the muslim one, etc...) but i've listened to christian music because there are messages for others, the reason i got into skillet was because of a friend of mine who had noticed things that will haunt me for the rest of my life, and had me listen to "The Last Night". But anyways back to what i was posting for, just because they don't mention god doesn't make their work any less important, if i remember right from an interview they had with a emagazine they said that Comatose(album) was supposed to offer hope for others and hope in of itself is something that should be worked for, what good is it living if their is no hope. People will always take their own meaning out of song. And just because something is christian doesn't make it right(the fifth crusade for example).

Vuren
11-01-2006, 09:31 PM
I understand what you are saying. Yet, I really do not want Skillet to stay on the religious stations because it ends up that we just create a little Christian bubble in the world where Christian bands entertain Christian kids and we expect everyone else to come into that bubble. I like the idea of not just Skillet, but lots of Christian bands coming into the mainstream music market, showing up on MTV, VH1 and all those stations. I think their message is relevent to the world and I want it to at least have a chance out there. Yeah, there is a lot of lame music on the mainstream market, but those artists are liked because they are "cool" to some people. I think that if bands with beliefs and passion came out, people would care because people want substance. You know? Those are just my thoughts on the matter.

honestly i have to respectfully disagree. People don't want substance, well...correction some people do want substance but they are in the vast minority, what people want is things that glorify something they can never do(ie gangs, sex, drugs, war, death, murder) i would not mind Skillet being on mtv, but i would not want them to be on TRL, Fuse is something i would support if fuse is the same as it was 2-3 years ago. If i remember correctly fuse had a show where they'd talk to a band and then play the song that they just talked about, i feel that would be a more fitting place for Skillet because they would have a chance to explain the meaning(as much as i would perfer bands to keep the meanings of the song to themselves) because that gives the ability to have an more in depth and mature look at the song then...hey we play 30 seconds of the song before and after we go to playing 3 minutes of glorifed T and A.

DarkestRose
11-03-2006, 12:32 AM
honestly i have to respectfully disagree. People don't want substance, well...correction some people do want substance but they are in the vast minority, what people want is things that glorify something they can never do(ie gangs, sex, drugs, war, death, murder) i would not mind Skillet being on mtv, but i would not want them to be on TRL, Fuse is something i would support if fuse is the same as it was 2-3 years ago. If i remember correctly fuse had a show where they'd talk to a band and then play the song that they just talked about, i feel that would be a more fitting place for Skillet because they would have a chance to explain the meaning(as much as i would perfer bands to keep the meanings of the song to themselves) because that gives the ability to have an more in depth and mature look at the song then...hey we play 30 seconds of the song before and after we go to playing 3 minutes of glorifed T and A.

I suppose...I don't know, I still have the hope of Skillet reaching an audience of as many people has they possibly can and if that means TRL, then so be it. I'm still not sure if people wanting substance is a minority though. I may just be naively idealistic, but I just really believe that people want more from life than just this and that when people glorify sex, drugs or whatever that is just a symptom of a greater want. But that is more my opinion than cold hard fact.