doormonkey
10-13-2006, 08:23 PM
Yeah, I must confess, I actually like "Those Nights". I know it's a Skillet pop punk song. But it's so catchy...
Anyone with me on this one?

m_money618
10-13-2006, 08:30 PM
it's proably my favorite song on the album.... maybe, i'm still deciding. it reminds me of my some old friends and our good times. alot of prople i've talked to don't like it.... but for me it really... i don't know... spoke to me, i guess.
the first time i heard it, i admit, i almost cried.... sadly.

-Sarah

TheFireBreathes
10-13-2006, 09:06 PM
you don't have to be scared to confess that or anything. This is the SKILLET message board. And that's a (great) Skillet song. Nothing to be ashamed of...plus, it's a good song to relate too.

pizza brain
10-13-2006, 09:09 PM
I like it but it depreses the poo ota me.

Paulishdog
10-13-2006, 09:46 PM
Reminds me of an FM Static song. But better.

lamb_servant72
10-14-2006, 03:13 AM
you don't have to be scared to confess that or anything. This is the SKILLET message board.

Thank you Brett for your encouragement. I, too, have a confession to make. I don't even have the album, yet. Please don't demote me.

planet_kosmos
10-14-2006, 03:52 AM
Thank you Brett for your encouragement. I, too, have a confession to make. I don't even have the album, yet. Please don't demote me.

Me either! ;D

Starbucks5721
10-14-2006, 04:39 AM
Oh I like it. I kindof reminds me of old-school Skillet, because it's almost so fun you can dance to it :P

Unregistered
10-14-2006, 06:22 AM
pop-punk yes but, none the less one of the most complicated guitar parts I've ever heard Ben make. In my opinion it's like a super pop-punk song none of the other pop-punk bands can pull off a song that good

drummer_punk82
10-14-2006, 06:44 AM
Oh man, when I first heard "Those Nights" I didn't know what to think. I don't think I've ever heard such a poppy/sugar coated Skillet song. It just seems so different from all the other songs on the album, almost like it doesn't fit.

HOWEVER, after a few more listens I am starting to like it. I'm hearing Skillet's signature sound in it more and more. By no means my favorite, but not as bad as I thought it was. Overall, it is a good song and I am glad they put it on the album.

dawn of light
10-14-2006, 07:02 AM

I also don't have it yet. Comatose was nowhere to be found in Winnipeg until yesterday. The shipment was really late. I'll go buy it this weekend.

terrasin
10-14-2006, 07:45 AM
I like the song, but I personally think Those Nights is the most lyrically weak song on the album. It reminds me of something I would have written in grade school:

Those nights were ours
They will live and never die
Together we’d stand forever

It actually reminds me of something you would hear in those 80's movies like The Breakfast Club or St. Elmos Fire.

CJ

planet_kosmos
10-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Those Nights in the Breakfast Club. I can't see that happening!

alienyouth9292
10-14-2006, 04:37 PM
it reminds me of a hawk nelson song with john's vocals....i love it!!

st1_Lord
10-14-2006, 05:45 PM
I don't mind it. Its not my favorite on the album, but it definitely doesn't fall into the "dislike" category. It goes in the "good song on a good album" category. Its not the outstanding song in the album (IMO) but its still good.

DarkestRose
10-14-2006, 08:54 PM
I love that song. I've liked it since the 30 second clip. It was kinda surprised at Hawk Nelson-ish it sounded, but it's cool.

planet_kosmos
10-14-2006, 09:00 PM
I didn't think it sounded like Hawk Nelson? I liked the song, the only part of the song that didn't particularly appeal to me was the oooh-oooh. If you get what part that is...

Unregistered
10-14-2006, 10:27 PM
I didn't think it sounded like Hawk Nelson? I liked the song, the only part of the song that didn't particularly appeal to me was the oooh-oooh. If you get what part that is...

The oooh-oooh part was the Hawk Nelson-ish part to me. I don't know. I've hold heard like two or three Hawk Nelson songs, but whatever.

BondageDuck
10-15-2006, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I really like it too. It reminds me of me & my best friend in middle school. :)

skilletfreak101
10-15-2006, 06:44 PM
as i've said before...i'm very disapointed in skillet for putting out a cheesy poppy-punk song...i like the meaning of the song, it has a really good meaning but the music drives me so mad that i just forget about the meaning of it.

TheFireBreathes
10-15-2006, 07:05 PM
I like it when songs have the "oooh oooh" sound in them. I don't really know why, it just gives it more. Run Kid Run and Relient K have those too.

DarkestRose
10-15-2006, 07:46 PM
The unregistered post is mine by the way. I thought I was logged on, but apparently not.

Maugrim
10-15-2006, 08:30 PM
When people start comparing Skillet to Relient K and Hawk Nelson, that's when I know something is not right.

DarkestRose
10-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Well, Relient K and Hawk Nelson have some catchy songs. I don't think it is bad that there is one song that sounds like them. I don't really get all the anti-pop-punk sentiment.

neb0789
10-16-2006, 09:31 AM
i don't mind those nights at all, i think its a good song. i'm alright with pop/punk stuff, but i don't want skillet head too far in that direction either

skilletfreak101
10-16-2006, 10:27 AM
When people start comparing Skillet to Relient K and Hawk Nelson, that's when I know something is not right.
AMEN!!!!!!

Spiffles
10-17-2006, 11:11 PM

I dont have it either, so dont feel bad.

I am not sure when i can even get it yet. I checked today with Koorong (Aussies biggest christian stuff supplier) and they still have it on order waiting for it to arive.
OH well, i am happy to wit for it.. I'd rather wait then download it. Waiting always makes it better when you get it. Sort of like opening a present before Christmas instead of waiting and opening it on Christmas day under the tree.
(yes, i'm conparing Skillet to Christmas presents, lol!!)

planet_kosmos
10-17-2006, 11:23 PM
Koorong are always really slow to get new stuff in.

Paulishdog
10-18-2006, 05:15 AM

Can you please distinguish your opinion from what is right and wrong? Some of us panheads really like the direction Skillet has taken with Comatose.

DarkestRose
10-18-2006, 06:07 AM
Can you please distinguish your opinion from what is right and wrong? Some of us panheads really like the direction Skillet has taken with Comatose.

Some people like it and some people don't. When the album first came out, I was pretty defensive against people who didn't like "Those Nights" but now I figure it's just one song and just their opinion. It's not really worth arguing over the genre and lyrics and whatever.

ChildOfChrist
10-18-2006, 06:54 AM
I love that song! So catchy. And deffinately not lyrically weak. I love it when bands write about their personaly lives, where they've been and how they've become what they are. This is a little glimpse into John's life, and that automatically makes it lyrically strong. And I wondered if the lyrics were supposed to sound almost young and junior highish. So free and young. Almost innocent.

Those nights were ours

Didn't you ever feel that way when you were younger? You'd feel like you'd stand forever and never fail with your best buddy at your side. I think John captured that emotion real well.

DarkestRose
10-18-2006, 07:29 AM
I love that song! So catchy. And deffinately not lyrically weak. I love it when bands write about their personaly lives, where they've been and how they've become what they are. This is a little glimpse into John's life, and that automatically makes it lyrically strong. And I wondered if the lyrics were supposed to sound almost young and junior highish. So free and young. Almost innocent.

Those nights were ours

Didn't you ever feel that way when you were younger? You'd feel like you'd stand forever and never fail with your best buddy at your side. I think John captured that emotion real well.

Yeah. That was exactly what I was feeling with the lryics and I thought the music sort of captured those emotions because the catchiness makes it sounds fun and happy and carefree. The underlying meaning of the song was really what endeared me to it so much.

planet_kosmos
10-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Hmmm...maybe I've had and am having a deprived childhood.

Paulishdog
10-18-2006, 03:42 PM
It's not really worth arguing over...

Not my intention. I was responding to the "something is wrong." portion of Maugrim's post.

DarkestRose
10-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Not my intention. I was responding to the "something is wrong." portion of Maugrim's post.

Okay. I see that. :)

Maugrim
10-19-2006, 07:44 AM

It all comes down to musical preferences. I have never liked punk, pop/punk or whatever...I just find it to be generic, shallow, and stale. In fact, when I discovered Skillet back in 2001, I remembered how happy I was to finally find a band that did not have that sound. And I guess hearing them experiment with this genre makes me a bit nervous.

doormonkey
10-19-2006, 08:14 AM
Eh, I wouldn't worry too much...I don't foresee Skillet doing anything more than dabbling in that genre.

unshakeable15
10-19-2006, 03:56 PM
"Those Nights" is in my "eehhhh, ok" list of songs. i think it's because it reminds me of "Ocean Avenue" (the song, not the album), making it fun to listen to, but nothing i would expect (or want, really) from Skillet. But i'll live.

zeroneff
10-19-2006, 07:27 PM
I like it took Its on my top 3 list

Audio-Slave
10-24-2006, 08:05 PM
I love it! It's the poppiest song on the record, but I think it's really good! I wish people would stop complaining about it. So what, Skillet made a pop song. Listen to Invincible. The whole album is basically pop.

alienyouth9292
10-25-2006, 12:54 PM
the song is very catchy and so true for me. i still do some of the things that the song mentions: ex. talking with friends all nite, listening to the radio, having sleepovers....

unshakeable15
10-25-2006, 01:31 PM
I love it! It's the poppiest song on the record, but I think it's really good! I wish people would stop complaining about it. So what, Skillet made a pop song. Listen to Invincible. The whole album is basically pop.
It's not because it's got a poppy sound to it, that's not what bugs me. It just feels like a high school song to me (and being in college for 4 years now, high school is dead to me).

If you like it, Great! But it's not my cup o' tea.

Bassplayer
10-25-2006, 01:38 PM
i like it. it's not my all time favorite, but it's still a good song.

dawn of light
10-27-2006, 06:34 AM
I feel the same way as you about it, Mike. High school was a long time ago.

skilletfreak101
10-27-2006, 04:46 PM
it's not just because it's poppy, but it's also because it's pop-punky and cheap. and when it reminds us of hawk nelson, that's just not a good sign at all. invinvible wasn't at all pop-punk.

Audio-Slave
10-29-2006, 03:03 PM
It's not because it's got a poppy sound to it, that's not what bugs me. It just feels like a high school song to me (and being in college for 4 years now, high school is dead to me).

If you like it, Great! But it's not my cup o' tea.

Kay. *thumbsup*

panheadko
10-31-2006, 10:44 AM
For a guy who hates pop punk in general.....seriously, like alot.....yet can look past it, enjoy it due to the fact it was written intellegently and is oh so catchy....it's a good song....I mean the first time I heard it....I was like "What the heck? Silly Skillet, why would you do this to me?!" but it obviously grew on me really fast. Definitely not my favorite on the album....but I seriously like every song on Comatose.....seriously one of the best albums to come out in a long time.

neb0789
10-31-2006, 03:07 PM
totally agree with you there panheadko!

dawn of light
11-01-2006, 06:00 AM
My fiance likes "Those Nights". He says it reminds him of us because sometimes we stay up all night at my place talking even though we know that he should go home and go to bed because we have to work the next day.

breakthesilence
11-01-2006, 09:20 AM
this song... it's kind of eh to me but i like it just cause it's skillet... but in a way to me it doesn't really seem like skillet. actually, a lot of the songwriting on this album doesn't seem very skillet-like. john is a genius songwriter but except for a couple of songs i didn't really see that come through this album. maybe that's just me. it seems very much like a "mainstream breakthrough" album... where everyone loves it but it kinda misses what really makes the band great/unique.
what gets me about this song is it triggers the memory of about a thousand other songs about the exact same thing... (obviously christian music is all about jesus but well i hope you know what i mean by that there)
that said, i'm listening to the album for about the sixth or seventh time at least since getting it yesterday. i think i'm driving my roommate crazy.