terrasin
10-18-2006, 12:35 PM
This was a very scary read to see what roads our culture is going down. They questioned 100 teens and their parents. There are 6 pages to this. The links are at the bottom...

This is a MATURE READ.

http://nymag.com/lifestyle/sex/annual/2005/15079/index.html

CJ

DarkestRose
10-18-2006, 09:20 PM
Um...wow. I didn't finish the whole thing because it was getting kinda gross, but I got through enough pages to get the basic idea. My goodness... I don't really know what to say.

Starbucks5721
10-19-2006, 04:09 AM
Parents just have NO CLUE at all. Oh man.

This kills: “No particular reason. I’m not, like, a Christian.”
Girl, 17

And goodness gracious, the stereotypes that come right through in the answers from the parents...holy cow. It's so sad, all of it. Heh - makes me glad I am steadfast in my convictions, because DANG, if I wasnt, I think reading that would make me feel a bit insecure. Which is sad in and of itself, because what are all the other kids doing but reading it and going "oh man, everyone else really IS doing it and I'm not."

*shakes head* Tough stuff, all around.

DarkestRose
10-19-2006, 05:56 AM
Okay, I actually read the rest of the article. What is with those parents? I don't see how any parent could be feeling okay about their thirteen-year-old kid having sex. I mean, seriously. How do the parents raise their kids to react about smoking, alcohol and drugs? Makes me glad to be out of high school.

ChildOfChrist
10-19-2006, 06:56 AM
That was one of the most disgusting things I've ever read. I feel sick. For those kids and for their parents...and for the world in general. I don't get why sex is such a big thing for people!
Well...I guess that if people don't believe that premarital sex is wrong, I can see how they would just think "why not? It's fun." But from my standpoint, it's just...gross and twisted.

skynes
10-19-2006, 07:54 AM
wow... I know I'm sooo gonna draw flak now.

I laughed at it, cause I found it funny. I found the answers funny. Some of those parents were hysterical.

It really didn't surprise me, in my community alone I think only a dozen or so girls above 14 aren't pregnant or have a kid. It's practically expected of you!

How do the parents raise their kids to react about smoking, alcohol and drugs?

They don't. You see it's the schools job to teach the kids about smoking and drugs, not the parents.
</sarcasm>

<The get me off the hitlist paragraph>

No I do not agree with any of it, yes I do think it's rather vile, yes this society does suck and needs its foundations ripped up and rebuilt again upon Christ.

</life saver>

dawn of light
10-19-2006, 02:16 PM
Everybody feels guilty after, but that’s part of life.
That's really sad!

agent_c68
10-19-2006, 03:32 PM
‘Just say no’ doesn’t work in reality

Yeah, for the weak minded.

Society is giving up on morals, why do what's right when it's just easier to do what you want and darn the conciquences. I don't think that this is just a recent development, it's been developing like this since at least the 60's, at least being open about it.

we need integrety, stand your ground when you say no. If no is not an option, the run until it is.

terrasin
10-19-2006, 08:21 PM
Society doesn't care about conciquence. Get pregnant? That's ok, there is an over the counter pill that takes care of that little issue.

How people have allowed it to get this bad is beyond me. And it's getting worse, and no one seems to care. When will the breaking point come?

CJ

terrasin
10-19-2006, 08:25 PM
I just found this little tidbit. Say goodbye to the rights of the church as government now overrules the decisions the church makes.

ALBANY, N.Y. - New York's highest court ruled Thursday that social service agencies run by the Roman Catholic Church and other faiths must provide birth-control coverage to their employees, even if they consider contraception a sin.

The 6-0 decision by the Court of Appeals hinged on whether Catholic Charities and the nine other groups are essentially social service agencies, not churches.

At issue was a 2002 state law that requires employers to provide health insurance coverage for mammograms, bone density screening and other preventive services for women, including prescription contraceptives. The law exempts churches, seminaries and other institutions with a mainly religious mission.

Catholic Charities and the other groups sued the state for an exemption but lost in the lower courts.

The organizations "believe contraception to be sinful," the Court of Appeals said. "We must weigh against (their) interests in adhering to the tenets of their faith the state's substantial interest in fostering equality between the sexes, and in providing women with better health care."

The New York Catholic Conference said it may appeal to the
U.S. Supreme Court.

"We think this has never really been about contraception. We think it was to target the church and open the door for coverage of abortion," said Dennis Poust, spokesman for the Catholic conference.

Kelli Conlin, president of NARAL Pro-Choice New York, said the ruling "shows that no one is above the law, including the Catholic bishops."

The New York court said the fact that the organizations hire employees outside their faith was a critical factor and that they deserve the rights sought under the law.

Catholic Charities said that while it considers an appeal, it will continue to cover contraceptives for employees under protest.

agent_c68
10-19-2006, 09:47 PM
Society doesn't care about conciquence. Get pregnant? That's ok, there is an over the counter pill that takes care of that little issue.

How people have allowed it to get this bad is beyond me. And it's getting worse, and no one seems to care. When will the breaking point come?

CJ

It was actually in that article you started with, some of the parents said it was ok, or at least they could not say no without feeling like a hypocrite, because they did the same things when they were teenagers. This is the price for the "Free Love" movement of the 60's.

Starbucks5721
10-20-2006, 07:43 AM
I pray to God that the Catholic Church does in fact take that one to the Supreme Court. Do you have the link to where you found that article?

terrasin
10-20-2006, 08:46 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061019/ap_on_re_us/contraceptives_suit_2

CJ

I Bite
10-20-2006, 03:03 PM
That article makes me so sad....I couldn't even read all of it...Parents have GOT to pay better attention to what their kids are doing...I'm honestly almost speechles..For sooth! Makes me mad. And sad. And everything inbetween.

DarkestRose
10-21-2006, 07:09 AM
That article makes me so sad....I couldn't even read all of it...Parents have GOT to pay better attention to what their kids are doing...I'm honestly almost speechles..For sooth! Makes me mad. And sad. And everything inbetween.

What is a real bummer though is the parents who know full and well what their kids are into and choose to ignore it.

I Bite
10-21-2006, 10:18 AM
What is a real bummer though is the parents who know full and well what their kids are into and choose to ignore it.

True that.

kittygirl
10-21-2006, 11:32 AM
wow... I know I'm sooo gonna draw flak now.

I laughed at it, cause I found it funny. I found the answers funny. Some of those parents were hysterical.

It really didn't surprise me, in my community alone I think only a dozen or so girls above 14 aren't pregnant or have a kid. It's practically expected of you!

They don't. You see it's the schools job to teach the kids about smoking and drugs, not the parents.
</sarcasm>

<The get me off the hitlist paragraph>

No I do not agree with any of it, yes I do think it's rather vile, yes this society does suck and needs its foundations ripped up and rebuilt again upon Christ.

</life saver>

Seee...when people hear that you're a teenager, they almost expect you to have had a kid, sex, or kissed someone. (of which I have done none of the above)

It is sad, because there really is NO right or wrong anymore.

skynes
10-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Seee...when people hear that you're a teenager, they almost expect you to have had a kid, sex, or kissed someone. (of which I have done none of the above)

It is sad, because there really is NO right or wrong anymore.

Yeah I know... right and wrong... all subjective ideas.

Good for you for standing your ground against it!

pizza brain
10-24-2006, 07:32 PM
That article made me freakin wanna up chuck! At this rate if/when I have kids they'll be cought making out in closets in kindergarden....wait that's already happening. :(

NightCrawler
10-27-2006, 01:56 PM
Parent's can't pay so much attention that it necessarily negates immorality. Most of those parents just do not care, or if they do, they just care they they have condoms and/or are in love.

A few times, my jaw dropped at the written-out responses of the kids. Utterly... appaling. I know mature 18 and 19 year olds... some are even married. But 15???!! Hardly!

kittygirl
10-28-2006, 11:14 AM
see, my parents got married young. Right out of high school basically. But, they don't regret that. It's your maturity.
And frankly, even 10 years ago, people were more mature than now.

Maturity is doing what's smart, right, and for the right reasons. People now want what they want, when they want it, and for selfish reasons. That goes for alot of things

Tromos
10-30-2006, 07:11 AM
And frankly, even 10 years ago, people were more mature than now.

Having been there, I'd beg to differ :P

bob
11-07-2006, 02:12 PM
When will the breaking point come?

Sadly, I don't think it will ever come. It might be all downhill from now on.

DarkestRose
11-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Sadly, I don't think it will ever come. It might be all downhill from now on.

But it could get better. I would like to think that there could be some improvement in our generation.

bob
11-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Well, there's always room for improvement, and it is an uphill battle. But Philippians 4:13 says I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. and that's a strong statement. Only four percent of our generation profess to be follower's of Christ and how many of those four percent actually mean it? It's kind of difficult not to be pessimistic and/or cynical this day and age. But hey, I still am. :)

NightCrawler
11-08-2006, 05:04 PM
4%? Please, back that stat up with a source. It is probably 4% are actually meaning it.