alienyouth9292
10-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Panheads,....what do you think should be the next single? I know the cd hasen't even been out a month, but what do you think? My vote goes to Comatose.:)

timmyrotter
10-28-2006, 11:56 AM
Yours to hold. but i have heard rumors of Say Goodbye... so i think its more likely. i dont know what the next active rock single would be though. probably falling into black.... thats the only one that would have a chance in that format

planet_kosmos
10-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Christian or Mainstream?

Tanel
10-28-2006, 01:53 PM
i dont know what the next active rock single would be though. probably falling into black.... thats the only one that would have a chance in that format

Yeah, I would pick that one as well. But as far as christian single goes I would say "Better Than Drugs" or "Comatose"

DarkestRose
10-28-2006, 02:19 PM
I hope for "Yours to Hold" but I don't expect them to do that one for their next single.

Edit: or after thinking about it, maybe "Looking for Angels" would be cool since it's up with ONE campaign.

terrasin
10-28-2006, 09:35 PM
There won't be another split single on this album (meaning one for christian, one for secular). If there is another single, meaning if Atlantic is impressed enough with the results of the first two to release another, the next will be Say Goodbye.

CJ

Destiny
10-28-2006, 10:54 PM
Falling Inside the Black is amazing. Either that or Comatose.

DarkestRose
10-29-2006, 02:20 PM
Say Goodbye is a really good song, so that's pretty cool. I still think that Yours To Hold is a better love song, but it's just my opinion. So I hope their singles do well that that Skillet can release Say Goodbye.

Audio-Slave
10-29-2006, 03:00 PM
When I got the CD, there was a sticker on it that said "Featuring Rebithing, Whispers In The Dark, and The Older I Get". And I saw a commercial for the CD on fuse and it mentioned 2 songs besides Rebirthing and Whispers. The songs were The Older I Get and Yours To Hold. So it'll probably be one of those 2 songs.

DarkestRose
10-29-2006, 03:22 PM
But didn't CJ say that if there was another single it would be "Say Goodbye"? I would think, since he's on this stuff, it would be that song.

skilletfreak101
10-30-2006, 06:00 AM
There won't be another split single on this album (meaning one for christian, one for secular). If there is another single, meaning if Atlantic is impressed enough with the results of the first two to release another, the next will be Say Goodbye.

CJ
to me say goodbye sounds like a filler song...there's nothing really that great about it..in my opinion anyway

dawn of light
10-30-2006, 06:26 AM
Say Goodbye is a really beautiful song. It'll appeal to the romantics.

timmyrotter
10-30-2006, 09:59 AM

CJ

why wouldnt there be another split? does ardent/SRE not handle the "christian" side of it? thats why there was a split in the first place. so whats to say it doesnt happen again?

terrasin
10-30-2006, 11:26 AM
Having two singles out at once is a bad thing marketing wise. Instead of having everyone voting for one single to get it high on the charts, you have these people voting for this song and those people voting for the other and neither of them really reach as high on the charts as they could have.

It pretty much follows the same characteristics of when Collide was released. Think of how much further up the rock charts Savior could have gone had Ardent waited to release the album at the same time as Lava. Instead, there was a split crowd.

CJ

dawn of light
10-30-2006, 11:44 AM
So what you're saying is, that the songs would be kinda competing against each other? Why did they release Rebirthing and Whispers in the Dark then, instead of just one of them?

skilletfreak101
10-30-2006, 12:11 PM
So what you're saying is, that the songs would be kinda competing against each other? Why did they release Rebirthing and Whispers in the Dark then, instead of just one of them?
i personally think they should've just released one single for both rock and christian radio....i don't really understand what why they do the 2 single thing.

timmyrotter
10-30-2006, 01:53 PM
Skillet wanted Rebirthing on both formats. Atlantic told them Rebirthing would do nothing on active rock. so they released Whispers instead. which isnt doing so great anyways...

neb0789
10-30-2006, 03:05 PM
i agree with the fact that they probably should have just stuck with one single right away. as for the next single, say goodbye is a good choice, but i would have liked the last night to hit the radio.

timmyrotter
10-30-2006, 03:15 PM
i agree with the fact that they probably should have just stuck with one single right away. as for the next single, say goodbye is a good choice, but i would have liked the last night to hit the radio.

again... Skillet wanted one, Atlantic Overruled that desire.

alienyouth9292
10-30-2006, 06:12 PM
why wouldn't "rebirthing" do good on the rock charts?? there is no big difference between it and "whispers"...

timmyrotter
10-30-2006, 06:54 PM
1. the "christian" lyrics...
2. its not mainstream enough, atlantic knows there stuff, they are in it for the money.
hmmm... those may be the only reasons, thought i had more

skilletfreak101
10-30-2006, 07:05 PM
1. the "christian" lyrics...
2. its not mainstream enough, atlantic knows there stuff, they are in it for the money.
hmmm... those may be the only reasons, thought i had more
well then maybe they should've just used WHISPERS as the single.

terrasin
10-30-2006, 08:41 PM
From what I understand, Rebirthing was sent to a few active rock stations and none of them would touch it. Guess it wasn't rock enough for them. I don't really think the lyrics had anything to do with that decision.

CJ

breakthesilence
11-01-2006, 09:34 AM
yeah whispers in the dark (which i'm listening to now) definitely has lyrics that stick out to me even more than rebirthing as being christian... actually, it is an awesome song to be released to mainstream... it talks about jesus' love to someone who doesn't know Him pretty well... whereas rebirthing to me talks about someone who already has decided to live for God but has slipped and wants to return to that, good for the already-christians audience. so maybe we can just trust that God had something going on there?
i had been listening to say goodbye as i was reading the posts here, i didn't realize it was that song at first i just had the thought i hope it's not this one and then i realized it was the one you were all talking about... it's not uniquely skillet, i mean, it sounds like it could be by anyone. it might do good on the charts, but i'm a fan of singles being distinct and bringing out the uniqueness of the band, not all sounding the same just so they do well (radio drives me crazy for that reason. it's about doing well on the charts not releasing stuff that is really good or unique).

timmyrotter
11-01-2006, 10:05 AM
yeah whispers in the dark (which i'm listening to now) definitely has lyrics that stick out to me even more than rebirthing as being christian... actually, it is an awesome song to be released to mainstream... it talks about jesus' love to someone who doesn't know Him pretty well... whereas rebirthing to me talks about someone who already has decided to live for God but has slipped and wants to return to that, good for the already-christians audience. so maybe we can just trust that God had something going on there?
i had been listening to say goodbye as i was reading the posts here, i didn't realize it was that song at first i just had the thought i hope it's not this one and then i realized it was the one you were all talking about... it's not uniquely skillet, i mean, it sounds like it could be by anyone. it might do good on the charts, but i'm a fan of singles being distinct and bringing out the uniqueness of the band, not all sounding the same just so they do well (radio drives me crazy for that reason. it's about doing well on the charts not releasing stuff that is really good or unique).

actually i dont think Whispers is about Jesus at all. but its more open for interpertation.

alienyouth9292
11-01-2006, 01:42 PM
here are the lyrics. make your decision(they sound Christian to me).

despite the lies that you're making
your love is mine for the taking
my love is just waiting
to turn your tears to roses

I will be the one that's gonna hold you
I will be the one that you run to
my love is
a burning, consuming fire

Chorus:
No
you'll never be alone
when darkness comes I'll light the night with stars
hear my whispers in the dark
No
you'll never be alone
when darkness comes you know I'm never far

you feel so lonely and ragged
you lay here broken and naked
my love is just waiting
to clothe you in crimson roses

I will be the one that's gonna find you
I will be the one that's gonna guide you
my love is a burning, consuming fire

timmyrotter
11-01-2006, 02:04 PM
here are the lyrics. make your decision(they sound Christian to me).

despite the lies that you're making
your love is mine for the taking
my love is just waiting
to turn your tears to roses

I will be the one that's gonna hold you
I will be the one that you run to
my love is
a burning, consuming fire

Chorus:
No
you'll never be alone
when darkness comes I'll light the night with stars
No
you'll never be alone
when darkness comes you know I'm never far

you feel so lonely and ragged
you lay here broken and naked
my love is just waiting
to clothe you in crimson roses

I will be the one that's gonna find you
I will be the one that's gonna guide you
my love is a burning, consuming fire

ha! "it sounds christian to me" why one may ask? you are a christian. to a non-christian, it could mean anything. and each to his own.

alienyouth9292
11-01-2006, 04:56 PM
ha! "it sounds christian to me" why one may ask? you are a christian. to a non-christian, it could mean anything. and each to his own.

notice i said "to me". you are right though....a non-christian could take it a whole diferent way.

timmyrotter
11-01-2006, 05:02 PM
notice i said "to me". you are right though....a non-christian could take it a whole diferent way.
could take it a different way yes. but you are missing my point. how do you know how john intended it? maybe it doesnt have spiritual meaning to the one who wrote it. until he says what its about, we can only speculate. but people cant go to every song assuming that it has christian meaning. like country songs, a lot of em talk about Jesus, God, church etc. doesnt mean they are christians, or they have christian meaning.

my point being, you cant state "whispers is about _____" as fact. while the writer of the song has never said what its about.

Luke_USA
11-01-2006, 06:08 PM
could take it a different way yes. but you are missing my point. how do you know how john intended it? maybe it doesnt have spiritual meaning to the one who wrote it. until he says what its about, we can only speculate.

my point being, you cant state "whispers is about _____" as fact. while the writer of the song has never said what its about.

Actually, he has. ;) Check out the HM Magazine podcast link put up last week in the News section.

DarkestRose
11-01-2006, 06:27 PM
Actually, he has. ;) Check out the HM Magazine podcast link put up last week in the News section.

Does that podcast actually interview him? Because I get up to them reviewing the Comatose album, but then it fazes out and I can't tell if my computer is doing it and there is more or what.

breakthesilence
11-02-2006, 05:16 PM
could take it a different way yes. but you are missing my point. how do you know how john intended it? maybe it doesnt have spiritual meaning to the one who wrote it. until he says what its about, we can only speculate. but people cant go to every song assuming that it has christian meaning. like country songs, a lot of em talk about Jesus, God, church etc. doesnt mean they are christians, or they have christian meaning.

of course there are a lot of things it can be interpreted as. before i became a christian i didn't get much out of earth invasion--i had no clue it referred to christian stuff--but after i became a christian and listened to it again i was like wow i don't know how i never got this before...

knowing john & his style of writing as well as attributes of jesus, even without hearing him say so directly, i am as sure as i can be that this (what i had originally posted--jesus' love) is what he intended.

but songs have both the original meaning of the author and a meaning to the listener. there are some "non-christian" songs that i listen to and apply a christian connotation to.

so once again, valid points all around. :)

alienyouth9292
11-09-2006, 05:33 PM
of course there are a lot of things it can be interpreted as. before i became a christian i didn't get much out of earth invasion--i had no clue it referred to christian stuff--but after i became a christian and listened to it again i was like wow i don't know how i never got this before...

knowing john & his style of writing as well as attributes of jesus, even without hearing him say so directly, i am as sure as i can be that this (what i had originally posted--jesus' love) is what he intended.

but songs have both the original meaning of the author and a meaning to the listener. there are some "non-christian" songs that i listen to and apply a christian connotation to.

so once again, valid points all around. :)

i was listenin to secular rock this week, and some of the songs seemed like they could have been easily dubbed "christian rock" because of their lyrics.

For ex. they said : "I need you....i need you....i can't live without you...."

In this example, the band could be referring to GOD or a girl. It all depends on the listener. I thought about GOD, but others probably thought of a girl. In summary, Skillet is just trying to get a good song out on the radio so that God can open up someone's heart to realize the true meaning of the song.

Unregistered
11-11-2006, 04:01 PM
All these would be awesome singles:

Yours To Hold- catchy, professional
Better Than Drugs- trippin awesome
Comatose- easily the most-rounded of the album
Falling Inside The Black- this song would soar on mainstream radio, powerful & poignant

neb0789
11-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Does that podcast actually interview him? Because I get up to them reviewing the Comatose album, but then it fazes out and I can't tell if my computer is doing it and there is more or what.

the same thing happened to me

alienyouth9292
11-12-2006, 04:10 PM
the same thing happened to me

same here too....>:(

pizza brain
11-12-2006, 06:49 PM
http://jesusfreakhideout.com/interviews/Skillet2006.aspHe talks about song meaning alittle in this interview.

riz
11-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Say Goodbye would be a good radio single.

neb0789
11-13-2006, 06:41 PM
yeah, i know i'm gonna be listening to that one when i graduate this year

Q MGR
11-14-2006, 03:15 PM
I saw this thread so I thought I'd reach out. The next single for Christian rock and chr is going to be The Last Night. The next single for mainstream is "Older I Get" which will go to mulitple formats not just Active Rock.

timmyrotter
11-14-2006, 04:34 PM
well actually i am almost positive its going to be Say Goodbye...

Q MGR
11-14-2006, 06:45 PM
If that is a single it will come later in 07.

Aaron Graves
11-14-2006, 07:39 PM
they where bolth done in diffrent studios...
so they woulden't realy know until they got all the songs put =on the album..ya know

timmyrotter
11-14-2006, 08:33 PM
what are you talking about aaron?

Say goodbye will probably be released once rebirthing drops. i think it would do good on mainstream as well.

dawn of light
11-15-2006, 06:22 AM
I saw this thread so I thought I'd reach out. The next single for Christian rock and chr is going to be The Last Night. The next single for mainstream is "Older I Get" which will go to mulitple formats not just Active Rock.
You sound pretty sure of yourself...where are your sources?

Q MGR
11-15-2006, 12:17 PM
from management

riz
11-15-2006, 02:24 PM
If you are really who you say you are, answer me this: wouldn't it just be simpler and better to release ONE single for both secular and Christian stations instead of trying to build a barrier between both and having two different songs receive airtime?

Say Goodbye is such a better radio single than The Older I Get - which I find to be one of the weakest songs on the album, but hey, I'm not part of the management or have any sway in the matter on what would work better with the public. . .

terrasin
11-15-2006, 03:01 PM
I can vouch for him, though I strongly disagree with the way this is going. This is turning into another case of Collide all over again where there is going to be division between the Christian and Mainstream markets. It's not a very smart marketing or promotional idea and will only hurt promotion rather than help.

CJ

Q MGR
11-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Let me try to answer both of the previous posts. It's a bit complicated. "The Last Night" was the pick for both markets initially but mainstream rock did not want to play it as they were used to playing artists like Mudvanye, Godsmack, Korn, etc. at the Active Format so we split the singles. We still believe that "The Last Night" can be a mainstream hit but it will have to be after we've already had success at mainstream radio and they've accepted Skillet. With that in mind we want to keep rolling out the hits on the Christian side, and with a song that can get played at multiple christian formats. On as song like "Say Goodbye" though we do feel it is a hit single it is a love song and Christian radio doesn't usually embrace love songs unless the artist is a core artist at that particular format. Thus the reason we come with "The Last Night" at Rock and CHR Christian

Our hope is to come back with "The Older I Get" as the next Christian single as it is heating up on the mainstream side where they will then be happening in both markets at the same time. Remember it takes so much longer on the mainstream side to see movement on a single. That is why it took over two years for Switchfoot to really break.

Does this help make sense of it all?

Tanel
11-16-2006, 12:13 PM
At least for me it does, thanks!

timmyrotter
11-16-2006, 10:18 PM
yeah makes sense. if a song isnt gonna fly on mainstream stations, then i dont see why you would wanna release it. i dont think skillet really has a song besides Say goodbye or maybe Yours to Hold, that would get on mainstream Chr or HAC top 10 for people in christian markets to hear it as well. not Meant to Live caliber, or Over my Head. so i dont see why a split in secular and christian would lose too much momentum. besides when Skillet releases a song to christian formats anymore, it WILL be a hit, its such a small market. (at least christian rock)

but i do have to disagree with this "management" guy on this. i think Say Goodbye, or Yours to hold, maybe even Last Night, could succeed on mainstream. if Atlantic actually put some money into promoting Skillet. IMO i think that they are missing out on some untapped skillet talent.

i do have a question for you Truehunting. if Skillet doesnt get a mainstream hit, will Atlanic/lava not renew thier contract?

alienyouth9292
11-17-2006, 06:50 PM
i hate to say it, but with comatose, i expected bigger and better results so far. rebirthing has done great in christian rock, but whispers has proved to be a failure. i highly doubt that any other comatose song will do much on rock radio....just my thoughts.....

timmyrotter
11-18-2006, 04:11 PM
i dont know where you get off calling Whispers a "failure" but ive been fallowing the numbers, and Whispers is climbing on the active rock cahrts. and just got on the Billboard Hot Mainstream rock tracks chart at #39. which is only skillets 2nd track to get on a billboard chart. savior made it to #26 on that chart

alienyouth9292
11-18-2006, 06:37 PM
i dont know where you get off calling Whispers a "failure" but ive been fallowing the numbers, and Whispers is climbing on the active rock cahrts. and just got on the Billboard Hot Mainstream rock tracks chart at #39. which is only skillets 2nd track to get on a billboard chart. savior made it to #26 on that chart

:'( :'( :'( :'(

sorry, i didn't notice that. i thought that it was still hanging on the active rock charts by a thread.....guess i gotta have better resources timmy:-[

Q MGR
11-18-2006, 06:55 PM
It's hard to know this early on. Atlantic has Skillet x'd as a priority artist. It doesn't guarantee you success but it means the label is going to do everything possible to break the record. Comatose is almost 50% up from where Collide was in the week to week sales picture so Atlantic is extremely pleased with the progress right now. If you take into account that we don't have a huge mainstream radio hit just yet things are looking very up for Skillet. And you are correct Whispers isnt a failure. It will probably get a little bit further but wasn't meant to be the BIG crossover song. It was supposed to get Skillet through the 4th quarter and help set up Older I Get.

Recently Older I Get, Yours to Hold, and Say Goodbye were all tested by a mainstream radio company. All three of them tested off the chart with Older leading the way. That is very encouraging!!

Thanks for all your hard work in spreading the news about Skillet and for that matter all the panheads!

neb0789
12-03-2006, 03:56 PM
hey, that's awesome! thanks for the info!

Slash
12-09-2006, 01:45 AM
that does all make alot of sence, but there's one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet..."Those Nights". i think "Those Nights" is every bit as good as "The Older I Get". but, that's just my opinion

riz
12-10-2006, 09:49 PM
(Still thinks "Say Goodbye" should win for this role.)

timmyrotter
12-10-2006, 10:02 PM
say goodbye will be a likely third single... better for around graduation time. Those Nights is a Skillet bu-bu. lets hope we dont experiment with anymore punk rock.

alienyouth9292
12-11-2006, 01:11 PM
when is "the older i get" gonna be released on mainstream?

timmyrotter
12-11-2006, 01:21 PM
i'd say january some time.

JohnnyRocker
12-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Next Christian Single: The Last Night
Next Mainstream (ALL formats) Single: The Older I Get

timmyrotter
12-11-2006, 02:01 PM
all formats? we got skillet in Country and R&B?

Tanel
12-11-2006, 02:06 PM
:D All rock formats! Even though I bet you understood that.

Quadripedman
12-11-2006, 03:09 PM
i would have to say falling in the black or looking for angels. my favorites as of now (well, actually...i dont have a fav, they all rock!!;D )

timmyrotter
12-11-2006, 10:21 PM
:D All rock formats! Even though I bet you understood that.
i was being sarcastic... but i think he means, alternative, and HAC, possibly CHR

Q MGR
12-12-2006, 07:26 AM
Older I Get ships to Active and Modern rock in January and goes for adds the first week of February.

The Last Night will probably be later in February but we'll have to wait and see as Rebirthing just entered the top 10 this week and is climbing!

Tanel
12-12-2006, 02:19 PM
But on rock they are falling already.

timmyrotter
12-12-2006, 04:22 PM
OMG!!! rebirthing held on to #1 for like 6-7 weeks, thats defintetly something. besides, christian rock reaches such a little audience, its no big deal anyways. the only way it really helps a band is if they are new, or indie, to cross over to CHR.

Spiffles
12-12-2006, 06:02 PM
i'd like to see Say Goodbye as a single.. I reckon its the perfect single and has success written all over it, in my oppinion anyways.

Tanel
12-13-2006, 10:14 AM
OMG!!! rebirthing held on to #1 for like 6-7 weeks, thats defintetly something. besides, christian rock reaches such a little audience, its no big deal anyways. the only way it really helps a band is if they are new, or indie, to cross over to CHR.

Dude, I know that it reached #1 and all. And I also know that CHR is way bigger than rock. But I just mentioned that on there they are now falling.

timmyrotter
12-14-2006, 08:58 AM
Q MGR. what other formats will it being going to, and when?