saulg
10-29-2006, 12:39 PM
here is the direct link to download the new Windows Vista RC1

http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/rc1/en/download.htm

i'm downloading it now... a friend just installed a few days ago and it looks awasome, i really like this new operative system so i will install it here, i hope it runs on my machine.

So guys... ANY OF YOU HAVE TRIED WV YET??

terrasin
10-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Ehhhh.... I've learned not to touch new OSs till at least a year has gone by. :P

CJ

whereami
10-30-2006, 04:45 PM
vista >_< gross, windows is going down the drain in my opinion. they have nothing new to offer so they copy a few features from OSX and make it shiny and call it a new OS. nothing special. its got more anoyances than features imo. (plus i can make my xp just as shiny as vista any day, its called WindowBlinds)

i currently dual boot XP and Ubuntu (a linux OS for those who dont know), suits me just fine. i dont plan on getting vista. if i get a new comp it will be a mac. yay! then i could still run ubuntu aswell.

i thought they had RC2 or 3 out now, mebe not whatever.

amodman
10-30-2006, 06:00 PM
vista >_< gross, windows is going down the drain in my opinion. they have nothing new to offer so they copy a few features from OSX and make it shiny and call it a new OS. nothing special. its got more anoyances than features imo. (plus i can make my xp just as shiny as vista any day, its called WindowBlinds and it makes my pc beautiful)

i currently dual boot XP and Ubuntu (a linux OS for those who dont know), suits me just fine. i dont plan on getting vista. if i get a new comp it will be a mac. yay! then i could still run ubuntu aswell.

Blah blah blah blah blah. No offense, but if you're gonna say somehting about the OS, try to say something other than the standard "MS is teh sux and copied OSX!!!!!" Right...whatever. I don't care, at all. And windows blinds sucks. It eats memory like a mother (that doesn't have to make sense...).

terrasin
10-30-2006, 08:45 PM
I will stick with XP for about a year after Vista is released till the kinks are out. I tried using OSX, I didn't like it. I don't really see any benefit to getting a Mac over a PC if I'm not even planning to use OSX on it. The parts to upgrade a Mac are more expencive, and if I'm running Linux or Windows on it, it will only cost more for the same thing I could have bought a lot cheaper for PC.

CJ

zeroneff
10-31-2006, 04:59 AM
I got it 3 weeks ago and my pc died
Sure I looks cool but it's relly another xp

amodman
10-31-2006, 10:23 AM
I got it 3 weeks ago and my pc died
Sure I looks cool but it's relly another xp

ACtually it's the first complete re-design of Windows programming for a very long time. Most of the other OSs were just updates. Not that thtat matters if you're complaining about how a beta OS is having issues...I'm not touching Vista either, not until it's at least officially released, probably much later. Though my job will probably require me to become pretty familiar pretty fast once students start bringing in Vistas to get fixed.

agent_c68
10-31-2006, 11:16 AM
I am probably going to wait a while to try Vista, because, as said earlier, I'd like some bugs worked out first and because I've just started using XP Professional x64 Edition, which has been good to me.

terrasin
10-31-2006, 11:40 AM
I find it amusing when people get Betas and expect them to be bug free and working properly. The point of a Beta is to report bugs to the company so they can be fixed, not to score a "free copy" of the program. :P

CJ

whereami
10-31-2006, 02:25 PM
well besides the bugs, i just dont feel like theres any new compelling reason to pay tons more money for a computer that can support the upgrade to. what makes it better than xp and worth all that money?

its come to the point where you can get free-open source software that works smoother and has more features than it's microsoft counterpart.

(and just as a sidenote, WindowBlinds uses close to zero mem, i dont notice any difference at all when its on)

zeroneff
10-31-2006, 03:05 PM
well sence my computer died I just going to drop it and put XP

Tromos
10-31-2006, 04:55 PM
The point of a Beta is to report bugs... so they can be fixed

Silly me. I thought that was included in the concept of "responsible software engineering".

Ah, how my naivete bites me again. ::]

terrasin
10-31-2006, 08:02 PM
well besides the bugs, i just dont feel like theres any new compelling reason to pay tons more money for a computer that can support the upgrade to. what makes it better than xp and worth all that money?
To some extent, it will be worth it. Right now, to have 64bit support you need a special version of XP. This is one thing that will come standard with Vista. Plus, there are going to be several more new things Vista will support that XP doesn't mainly because of the fast technology advances. XP has been out for nearly 5 years now. Lots have changed.

Silly me. I thought that was included in the concept of "responsible software engineering".
It doesn't matter if it's a new OS, a game, or a program. All software has a period of beta testing to work out bugs. You can be one of the best programmers on the planet and there still will be bugs, holes, and exploits in your code. You don't know till it's tested. It's really only a foolish programmer that would be so high on himself that would release something without having it tested. That's one of the reasons that people get mad when something doesn't work properly because it didn't have enough time to be tested properly to get the bugs out. Companies like Blizzard know this and don't release any of their games without long periods of tests, which is why their games rarely need patched.

CJ

zeroneff
11-01-2006, 04:24 AM
Who is having has like 2 drives and cant save or burn stuff?

saulg
11-01-2006, 07:54 AM
i like vista.. it consume resourse like $#$@# but is cool... i've been using it for a couple of days and is working fine for me. The only thing i cant make it work is firefox, the rest of my software is working good, maybe i'm just lucky! hahaha

saulg
11-01-2006, 07:54 AM
i like vista.. it consume resourse like $#$@# but is cool... i've been using it for a couple of days and is working fine for me. The only thing i cant make it work is firefox, the rest of my software is working good, maybe i'm just lucky! hahaha

breakthesilence
11-02-2006, 05:45 PM
vista >_< gross, windows is going down the drain in my opinion. they have nothing new to offer so they copy a few features from OSX and make it shiny and call it a new OS. nothing special. its got more anoyances than features imo. (plus i can make my xp just as shiny as vista any day, its called WindowBlinds)

yeah windows vista kinda scares me a lot... i have linspire but i think i am cursed because pretty much every problem one might possibly have with it, i have. and i can't go on a windows computer for more than 5 minutes without it crashing or something. it's terrible.

but i was thinking of trying out ubuntu, how is that working out for you?

i want a mac soooo bad....

Unregistered
11-02-2006, 07:52 PM
i was thinking of trying out ubuntu, how is that working out for you?

i love it so much! if youve never used linux before it takes alot of getting used to because alot of things are different and it usually takes alot of extra tweeking and fiddling to make it do what you want. once you get some experience with it though you can start to realize how much freedom you have with it and how much more powerful and customizable it is than other OSs

whereami
11-02-2006, 07:52 PM
i was thinking of trying out ubuntu, how is that working out for you?

i love it so much! if youve never used linux before it takes alot of getting used to because alot of things are different and it usually takes alot of extra tweeking and fiddling to make it do what you want. once you get some experience with it though you can start to realize how much freedom you have with it and how much more powerful and customizable it is than other OSs.
(plus ubuntu has really good support and documentation, any problem you run into, theres people that can help you with it)

terrasin
11-03-2006, 12:30 AM
I've heard a lot of good things about Ubuntu. I've been thinking of giving it a try. My only issue is that I have hardware with no Linux support. :\

CJ

breakthesilence
11-03-2006, 04:21 AM
yeah the printer at my house never worked because it didn't have linux support and it wasn't even on the manufacturer's website so i could never print anything... it was a pain... (windows died on that computer so then we just put linspire on it but no windows cause it didn't have the install disk either)