GuitarHero
10-29-2006, 05:59 PM
does skillet use real violins when they record their songs or do they fake it with the keyboard/synthesizer?

DarkestRose
10-29-2006, 06:42 PM
On Comatose, Skillet did have the LA Symphony Orchestra play for a few of their songs. Maybe they have it set to programming now, but it's the orchestra on their album. On their acoustic mini-tour they had some girl playing the violin too.

timmyrotter
10-29-2006, 06:47 PM
yeah before comatose, it was all synths. i think the LA symphony only played on two, and i think rebirthing was done with synths... im not sure which ones were real though

skillet_head
10-30-2006, 07:01 AM
I dunno the strings on Rebirthing sound real. But anymore, you really can't tell what is done by synth and what is done by the real thing. But yeah like they said, it was all done with synths. Lori uses a Mac live to play the orchestrated loops.

terrasin
10-30-2006, 11:32 AM
Actually, Lori uses an HP lappy, but that's neither here nor there. ;) Shes basically playing the samples that were sent to the studio for the album, so they aren't synthed at shows.

Rebirthing is one that uses real strings. You can hear them all throughout the song, not just at the beginning. They did a very good job.

CJ

GuitarHero
10-30-2006, 06:04 PM
yeah thanks i wasn't sure because i thought they used real violins but on the music video and when i saw them live lori was playing keyboard and it was making violin sounds lol

will
11-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Actually, Lori uses an HP lappy, but that's neither here nor there. ;) uhm... since when? this is from about a month ago.

timmyrotter
11-02-2006, 09:57 PM
well unless HP has recently been putting apples on thier laptops, then i would have to say that is a mac...

terrasin
11-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Maybe it's her personal lappy that is HP then? *shrugs* We were talking about it one night. In any event, it's an unimportant detail.

CJ

breakthesilence
11-03-2006, 04:12 AM
or maybe that's not lori's laptop at all...
actually i think that's what terrasin just said up there

i heart macs

will
11-03-2006, 08:37 AM
In any event, it's an unimportant detail.

Macs vs. PCs unimportant? I beg to differ... it's the most important Holy War (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_war#Holy_wars) of our times! :P

Back on topic, I think the liner notes say something about the strings... if I remember correctly it just credits the actual conductor but never credits the LA Symphony. And it wasn't the entire symphony, I remember John or Ben saying it was like 8 pieces or so.

ismhackett
11-03-2006, 12:43 PM
She used a Mac when I saw them last month at Shoutfest.

doormonkey
11-04-2006, 09:52 AM
In a similar vein, has anyone seen the live acoustic videos on youtube? Who was playing violin for those?

timmyrotter
11-04-2006, 11:21 PM
John introduced her in one, he just said her name. so maybe she is just some random girl. it would be sweet to get a couple piece orcastra to tour with skillet though

skilletfreak101
11-08-2006, 10:18 AM
it would be sweet to get a couple piece orcastra to tour with skillet though

that would be amazing.

skynes
11-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Maybe it's her personal lappy that is HP then? *shrugs* We were talking about it one night. In any event, it's an unimportant detail.

CJ

HAHAHA! I have NEVER seen you get burned so badly! LOL ;)

Congrats Will. you set a new record.

I myself am a fan of the use of strings with rock/metal. It's something I really wish was done more but just isn't.