BarlowgIRL
11-01-2006, 04:48 PM
So I signed up to go to the "Circle of Silence" in Mexico. There are no evangelical churches in this area, all are Catholics that worship Mary and have no understanding of the Bible or Jesus. The trip is Easter break and I have to come up with a thousand dollars to go. My family has no way of supporting me so I am relying on God. I'm writing support letters and trusting that God will get me all the funds I need. Please pray that I will get all the money adn that my group will be safe on the trip. Oh, adn since the people we will be meeting up with don't speak English adn I KNOW that I don't speak a word of Spanish, please pray that we will not be affected by the language barrier. And maybe I'll learn some Spanish so I can speak three languages...;D

pizza brain
11-01-2006, 07:56 PM
I will pray for you :) If you wnat I can teach you some spanish?

Vuren
11-01-2006, 11:01 PM
i'm confused...excuse my ignorance, but if they are catholic wouldn't they be taught out of the bible?

weebird20
11-02-2006, 03:35 AM
will certainly be praying for you BarlowgIRL...

just on a side note though...i have a some Catholic friends...one in particular is very strong in his faith...they don't worship Mary...they just realise that she was the mother of Jesus and feel that she should be repected as such...and they do actually know their Bibles pretty well...and understand who Jesus was and the huge sacrifice that He made by dying for us...sometimes i think they understand better than most Protestant believers do...we have had discussions on our faiths before and it seems that we are looking at the same God but in a slightly different way...they focus a bit more on the death and the huge sacrifice it was...we are a lot more similar than you may think...

this will be a great new experience for you...don't worry about how you think they may practice their faith...they may surprise you greatly :)

i hope you get everything organised with money and your group and have a wonderful time there!

lamb_servant72
11-02-2006, 03:45 AM
I'm praying for you!

planet_kosmos
11-02-2006, 11:47 AM
will certainly be praying for you BarlowgIRL...

just on a side note though...i have a some Catholic friends...one in particular is very strong in his faith...they don't worship Mary...they just realise that she was the mother of Jesus and feel that she should be repected as such...and they do actually know their Bibles pretty well...and understand who Jesus was and the huge sacrifice that He made by dying for us...sometimes i think they understand better than most Protestant believers do...we have had discussions on our faiths before and it seems that we are looking at the same God but in a slightly different way...they focus a bit more on the death and the huge sacrifice it was...we are a lot more similar than you may think...

I have a catholic friend...I had to explain to him that Jesus is holy. He also still thinks that the pope is the mediator between us and God.

Starbucks5721
11-03-2006, 07:23 AM
Haha, I AM Catholic, and I can definitely reassure you that we DO NOT worship Mary. Nor do we worship the Saints. We worship God.

The best way I can explain it is that we pray through Mary and the Saints to Jesus. We can ask for their help, their prayers, their intercessions. But it is not the same as worshipping them like we would God.

Tromos
11-03-2006, 08:02 AM
I have a catholic friend...I had to explain to him that Jesus is holy. He also still thinks that the pope is the mediator between us and God.

Then your Catholic friend is not well-versed in Catholic theology. Or has been misled.

The depth of misunderstanding about Roman Catholicism by Protestants always astounds me. All Protestant churches have their roots in the Roman Catholic church. Even the spin-off pseudo-Christian churches (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Seventh Day Adventists, Jehovah's Witnesses) have their roots in the Roman Catholic Church.

There is, without a doubt, a deeper respect of Mary in the Catholic church than in any Protestant church that I have encountered (which may say more for my lack of experience than for the doctrines of the churches). But Catholic doctrine teaches that there is One God in Three Persons (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit). Mary was the human vessel through which God the Son (Jesus) entered this world and became one of us. Catholic doctrine teaches that Jesus was 100% God and 100% man. This is a divine mystery accepted through faith. He had all the power of God and endured all the trials of a man, yet he never sinned.

The Catholic church encourages intercessory prayers through Mary and the saints, much as you would ask your pastor or a friend to pray for you. Neither Mary nor the saints possess any ability to convey the holy gift of Grace upon us by their own power. That's a little vague on the Mary side, but pretty solid on the saint side.

All that being said, there are extremists in every group. There are extreme Muslims that want to kill all non-Muslims, but these people do not accurately represent the attitudes, beliefs, and practices of most Muslims. There are also extreme Catholics. Among them are a group of Catholics that have been pestering Rome for years to have Mary designated as "co-Redemptrix". That is, they believe that Mary should also receive worship and that we cannot be saved without acknowledging Mary as playing her appropriate role in our salvation. This faction has played a large role in popularizing such places as Medjugorje. The Pope in Rome, particularly the late Pope John Paul II, repeatedly rejected this doctrine as unfounded, un-Biblical, and heretical.

The Roman Catholic Church is, unarguably, the oldest Christian denomination in the world since, prior to 1517 it was the only Christian denomination in the world. Things changed rather drastically after a certain Augustinian monk decided to get creative with his decorating abilities on the front door of the Cathedral in Wittenburg, Germany in late 1517.

The Roman Catholic church holds a number of things as doctrine with which most Protestant denominations (particularly the Reformed ones) disagree. Among them are that Mary was born without sin, never committed a sin, and died a virgin. Also that forgiveness of some sins does not occur without confession of those sins to a priest, that some sins are inherently worse than others, the existence of Purgatory and Limbo, the authority of the Pope in certain situations, the total and complete transformation of the bread and wine into actual flesh and blood when consecrated, and infant baptism, to name a few. I'm sure these would all be interesting topics for debate (though not here). But the initial statement about "Catholics that worship Mary and have no understanding of the Bible or Jesus" is a misinterpretation of the actual situation.

Sorry this was so long-winded.

BarlowgIRL
11-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Haha, I AM Catholic, and I can definitely reassure you that we DO NOT worship Mary. Nor do we worship the Saints. We worship God.

oh yeah. Guys, don't think I'm ignorant about Catholicism, I was informed that down there it is almost cultish and that they have a twisted form of it. And talking to people who ahve been tehre before they say that they want someone to explain the Bible cause they haven't been taught.

Why thank you pizza! I would LOVE to learn some spanish!;)

Tromos
11-04-2006, 06:19 AM
Well, if a Mary-focused Catholic cult was going to exist anywhere, Guadalajara would be a logical place for it.

BarlowgIRL
03-27-2007, 07:48 PM
I'm leaving Thursday morning! Wahoo! I can't wait to go and have so much fun! Pray that we get there safely and that I don't get sick from too many tacos!;D

theelectric3
04-12-2007, 05:10 PM
how did it go?

BarlowgIRL
04-15-2007, 04:18 PM
It kicked so much butt! In the mornings we'd go door-to-door, then in the afternoon wed hand out invitaions for people to come to the cinema and watch us do mimes, see movies, listen to speakers....Here's us playing with kids when we were done handing out the invitations
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h24/tearsfallingdown/Mexico%20Spring%20Break%2007/Uswiththekids.jpg
It was Holy Week so they were doing stuff in the plaza. I hunted down one of the cow demon things that were suposed to represent Judas so I could take a picture with it.;D
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h24/tearsfallingdown/Mexico%20Spring%20Break%2007/COWDEMON.jpg
This is me and my friend at the missionary from our church's house
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h24/tearsfallingdown/Mexico%20Spring%20Break%2007/Mirandaandmeinthebackyard.jpg
While we were there we cleared out a lot with machetes and then burned the brush. The church is going to build a building there so they can have that as their church instead of Cliff's, the missionary, house.
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h24/tearsfallingdown/Mexico%20Spring%20Break%2007/IMAG0140.jpg
And this is the cathedral in Pajacuran, where we were staying
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h24/tearsfallingdown/Mexico%20Spring%20Break%2007/PajacuranCathedral.jpg
And this is the island that Miranda thought was cute....
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h24/tearsfallingdown/Mexico%20Spring%20Break%2007/Mirandascutelittleisland.jpg

And if there's anything you'd like to know let me know