Vuren
11-01-2006, 09:38 PM
What would be the way you would help a non christian embrace god's love, would you wait for them to ask you about it, would you thrust your own beliefs upon them. And how would you discuss it with them.

planet_kosmos
11-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Just act like a Christian. Act christ-like in all you do and pray for them.

skynes
11-02-2006, 03:21 AM
What would be the way you would help a non christian embrace god's love, would you wait for them to ask you about it, would you thrust your own beliefs upon them. And how would you discuss it with them.

It is not your job to thrust anything or help anyone embrace anything.

Don't take too much upon yourself, leading people to God is the job of the Holy Spirit, our job is to the preach the Gospel and nothing more.

I'm a logical person, I like knowing the ins and outs of stuff. Telling me "you gotta take it on faith" is a cop-out answer to me, its a way of saying you don't know without admitting it, cause I think there IS an answer.

So my approach to evangelism is to those like myself. Who a direct approach and "take it on faith" will fail on, but a logical discussion on something will work far better.

weebird20
11-02-2006, 04:27 AM
hmmm...a good question indeedy...

if you wait on them asking you...they may never ask...but if you just unexpectedly throw it at them...would they want to listen?

i think it really depends on the type of person the non-christian is...if you know that in the past they have had bad experiences with Christians you will find it very hard to have any kind of discussion with them about Christianity or God as they will have those bad feelings resurfacing...i would go with displaying a Christ-like attitude around them...having your actions speak for you rather than trying to engage them in conversation that may harden then moreso...then as time passes...they may come to you with questions or thoughts on Christianity...sort of like preparing the ground before planting the seeds sort of thing...

Those non-Christians who are willing to discuss Christianity tend to be logical thinkers and want everything to have a nice neat answer...sometimes you could debate all day about some of the issues of Christianity and still get nowhere...i see it as if you can argue someone into something...they can be argued out of it....like Skynes said...it is not our job to convince others but to preach/present the gospel and allow the Holy spirit to do His stuff :) though some/LOTS of prayer doesn't hurt...

dawn of light
11-02-2006, 05:21 AM
I find that just becoming friends with someone makes such a huge difference. Letting them know that you care about them as a person and like who they are. People don't trust anyone who doesn't care about them. I would want people to be won to Christ through the love of God through me, not because I knew all the answers (which I don't) or had the perfect argument.

I find that after you get to know someone a little bit often they will ask about it. Maybe not directly about Christ, but I've had a lot of people comment on how I always have a big smile on my face and how cheerful I am and how friendly. I use this as an opening to talk about why I'm happy and friendly. Other times I have to bring it up.

kittygirl
11-02-2006, 09:16 AM
Just keep it simple, that's how Jesus works. Just tell the truth, that God loves them more than you even know, and that He would do, and has done everything to have you close to Him.

Vuren
11-02-2006, 05:25 PM
I see, sorry i've just been comparing the ways that people have tried to influeance me to be a christian. The first one being the paster when i was taken to a luthern church telling me in great detail how i was going to go to hell when i died if i didn't and started describing dante's Inferno(something i found to be ironic and slightly amusing, since Dante was excommunicated and that was written in response as a satire mocking the catholic church of the time). I've had people try from out right fire and brimstone, to gentle almost subconsious assertions(which are far more...efficent)

DarkestRose
11-03-2006, 12:13 AM
As Skynes said, only the Holy Spirit will reach people, that it is not really Christians who save people. God uses us to tell His Gospel Message and to show Jesus' love, but it's Him who works in people.

I really wonder about evangelism though. I think that Christians kind of have their own world right now with the Christian music, Christian T-shirts, Christian lingo, and pretty much a Christian alternative to nearly everything in the mainstream world. I don’t mind that at all and some of that stuff I think is rather cool, but I think that Christians have gotten into the habit of expecting non-Christians to come into our world instead of us reaching out them where they are at.

In life, I think it is important to reflect Jesus because Christians are supposed to reflect what Christ is like, though obviously, we are dysfunctional sinners like everybody else and not righteous or holy apart from God. Jesus reached out to the sinners and he hung around the nontraditional people and the people who needed help. I like the verse in Isaiah which states, "a bruised reed He will not break, a smoldering wick He will not put out." I think that is what Christians need to reflect.

To personify that, there was this camp counselor from a church camp I attended. She was so sincere and passionate about Christ that it just shined out of her. People could come to her feeling confused and messed up and she didn’t judge them. She didn’t condemn people for messing up. She wasn’t quite about God though to be politically correct or whatever. She spoke about God and spiritual matters a lot, but she never did it to be religious. She spoke because it was honestly on her heart and she was someone who wanted people to know that the grace and the love that God had for them, that God had shown her. Hers was and still is a sincerity and a passion that I’ve hungered for because people knew she was real. She encouraged people and convicted people and challenged people and provoked people to think deeply.

I also like creative forms of evangelism. For example I like a lot of the music that sells on both Christian and secular markets (Skillet, Flyleaf, Switchfoot, etc…) because the music is spiritually influenced by the Christian faith and also touches on issues that everybody can relate to. I have a passion for writing and my hope is to infuse my faith into my writing in the same manner. That is more of an indirect evangelism though.

Most important I think is simply being passionate for God, passionate for others, praying and letting God handle the rest.

[Maybe I'm a little late posting since Vuren already posted back, but it takes me awhile to think through things because I like to have thorough, organized answers.]

Revan's_Thorn
11-03-2006, 01:12 AM
Another way would just let them beleive what they choose to and not opress there choice in how they view religion. If you so have to force something appon one tham atleast give them facts and truths. Not to offend anyone but use your life experiances to prove your own religon as fact and not a book or tails that give you bits of the over all view. Find a common ground with them and politly discuss your views verses theirs and allow equil conversation between one person and the other.

lamb_servant72
11-03-2006, 02:56 AM
Always let the Holy Spirit lead. He knows what people need. Alot of times when people have basic needs being met, wether it be love, healing, food, etc., then they are often hungry to know where it is coming from.

Vuren
11-03-2006, 10:18 AM
No not at all DarkestRose, never too late.

kittygirl
11-03-2006, 11:01 AM
hmmm...a good question indeedy...

if you wait on them asking you...they may never ask...but if you just unexpectedly throw it at them...would they want to listen?

i think it really depends on the type of person the non-christian is...if you know that in the past they have had bad experiences with Christians you will find it very hard to have any kind of discussion with them about Christianity or God as they will have those bad feelings resurfacing...i would go with displaying a Christ-like attitude around them...having your actions speak for you rather than trying to engage them in conversation that may harden then moreso...then as time passes...they may come to you with questions or thoughts on Christianity...sort of like preparing the ground before planting the seeds sort of thing...

Those non-Christians who are willing to discuss Christianity tend to be logical thinkers and want everything to have a nice neat answer...sometimes you could debate all day about some of the issues of Christianity and still get nowhere...i see it as if you can argue someone into something...they can be argued out of it....like Skynes said...it is not our job to convince others but to preach/present the gospel and allow the Holy spirit to do His stuff :) though some/LOTS of prayer doesn't hurt...

I agree with what you just said. First off, alot of people will see that you are NOT a hypocryte by being humble. When people say that they have it all together, and they get stressed out, others will say "See, you don't have it all together."

In many ways, people see your actions as proof of what you believe. "Belief without action is dead."~James 2:17
Being a Christian doesn't mean someone who prays, reads their bible, memorizes bible verses, or goes to church. It is someone who accepts God's gift. It is between them and God, not "Oh, so & so brought me to Christ."

God found you, not the other way around. When God saved me, not "I got saved."

DarkestRose
11-03-2006, 02:59 PM
No not at all DarkestRose, never too late.

Aw ::hugs:: :D

terrasin
11-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Read link in my siggy.

I personally find it's the best way to "reach" people.

CJ

planet_kosmos
11-04-2006, 03:45 PM
I've read it 3 times CJ. ;)

DarkestRose
11-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Read link in my siggy.

I personally find it's the best way to "reach" people.

CJ

I love that article too.