Vuren
11-01-2006, 11:10 PM
I will be honest I've not been a christian for over a decade(things happened when i wsa about 6 that made me start to doubt and at the age for 9 i know longer belived) but, i was wondering if maybe you guys could offer an insight to me. When i'd walk down the street in downtown lincoln on a friday night i'd have people walk up to me and tell me that i'm going to hell because i wear all black and at the time had a mohawk and that i needed to confess my sins and follow the word of Jesus Christ my savior. Well up until this last week when a friend of a friend started to talk with me i hadn't payed much attention, she asked why i refused to go to church, Well after giving it much thought i had responded with that i didn't belive and gave some of the reasons from my personal expierances, but also that when ever someone had tried to convert me they came up with a holier then thou attitude.

Now my question is, why do some christians(unfortantly most of the ones i've had expierances with) automatically assume that your a devil worshipper if you don't believe in christ and that when they try and talk to you the assume the role of a superior, part of my reluctance is because of people that have been a holier then thou christian and i didn't want that as a part of my life. I do read the bible because i do believe it can teach you things to make you a better person(forgiveness, to turn the other cheek, etc...).

skynes
11-02-2006, 03:26 AM
Christians are people, just like everyone else... therefore some of them are total jerks.

I'm sorry you've ran into a lot of the nastier ones.

Jesus and Christianity is not about 'holier than thou', the Bible teaches the opposite, that Christians are just as bad as everyone else, the difference is who we serve.

I serve Christ, I gave my life to Him. I choose not to serve myself and my own desires anymore, cause my desires are everything God hates: lying, stealing, hatung, adultery etc.

So why do some Christians act like jerks? Cause they're human sinners and they're struggling with pride.

I highly doubt anyone here will give you grief for wearing black and having a mohawk.

lamb_servant72
11-02-2006, 03:42 AM
I doubt it, too, Scott. If they do, they are in the wrong place, John does the same thing!

I think it's pride, too. I feel sorry for those who are caught up in that.

I also think some of them haven't been through real battles. It's easy to say we believe when everything is great.

dawn of light
11-02-2006, 05:14 AM
Christians are people, just like everyone else... therefore some of them are total jerks.
I laughed when I saw this, it's a good way to put it. Sadly it's true though. Christians should be noticed for how loving and accepting they are, not how judgemental they can be.

Vuren, I've noticed that a lot of people who turn away from God and church (young or old) do it because someone hurt them really bad. They're so hurt by a Christian or someone in church and somehow they internalize that and hold on to it. A lot of people will blame God and think He allowed it to happen or that he wanted it to happen. I don't know if something like this happened to you or not but I just want you to know that if something did happen or someone did hurt you (physically or emotionally) it wasn't your fault and it wasn't God's fault. God loves you and would not want anything hurtful to happen to you.

kittygirl
11-02-2006, 11:55 AM
You know, I've had people say things like that to me before too. I am Arabic, so my hair and eyelashes are dark, therefore, if I wear black, it looks dark all over.

The thing is, I had let what other people who were claiming to be Christians say who I was. The fact is, being a Christian means one thing:being His kid. It is not a matter of 'conversion' or of trying to make Jesus cool. He's not a product, He's a person.

I guess when I 'became' a Christian was about 2 years ago, when I was in a very dark place. The thing that sounds crazy to alot of people is that God showed up, and told me who I was, how He saw me, and that He loved me more than I knew, and still don't know. There's nothing wrong with you.

Your faith just means faith that God is who He said He is. Believing that God isn't a liar. Let (and I'm talking to myself here too, don't get the impression that I have all the answers)Jesus be the person who says who you are.

Once again, there's nothing wrong with you.

theelectric3
11-04-2006, 04:02 PM
Now my question is, why do some christians(unfortantly most of the ones i've had expierances with) automatically assume that your a devil worshipper if you don't believe in christ and that when they try and talk to you the assume the role of a superior, part of my reluctance is because of people that have been a holier then thou christian and i didn't want that as a part of my life. I do read the bible because i do believe it can teach you things to make you a better person(forgiveness, to turn the other cheek, etc...).

because we, as christians, need to remember that we are not the Savior. we did not pay the ultimate price even though we were sinless. therefore, we do not have a right to judge someone on appearance. God sees the heart.

we are saved by the grace of God (grace is favor that we do not deserve). too many times i think christians see something in someone that reminds us of our own weaknesses and short comings... and instead of turning these to God and loving the person - we lash out. why? because we do not want to be reminded that we are not as "good" as we thought. we are still very needy...

there is strength found in total dependance on Christ.

i am sorry you have experienced this. i know it is all too common... all i can say is that i am sorry. really sorry.

God is not scared or threatened by the color black... or tatoos, or a mohawk, or anything else. He loves you for you, inspite of you - all of you. :)

skilletfreak101
11-05-2006, 06:36 PM
the big difference between christians and non-christians is that christians have Jesus in them and have the power to talk to be one on one with God. but that still doesn't make christians any better than non-christians because those non-christians can just as easily convert as the christians did. anybody is entitled to be saved because Jesus gave the gift to us...none of us deserve it and none of us are better than anyone else...we're all the same. and when christians judge other people, then that's really stupid (i myself have done it...so i am stupid too)...God is the only one who has the power to judge people because He knows everything and is perfect

Vuren
11-05-2006, 09:11 PM
well i agree but i know many non christians are great people and do great things, they work community service they work on helping the common man.

DarkestRose
11-05-2006, 09:21 PM
I’m sorry that you’ve had some offensive run-ins with sanctimonious Christians. That is one of my pet peeves, but I don’t have too many run-ins with them now and haven’t in the past.

All Christians are dysfunctional sinners like everyone else in the world. We need Christ to sanctify us from our arrogance and pride. We need Christ’s forgiveness, mercy and grace to become righteous and holy. Our hope is to become purified; to become a godly, Christ-like, Spirit-filled person. Unfortunately, sometimes Christians use God as an excuse for judging and condemning other Christians and non-Christians. They really shouldn’t. Lacey Mosley from Flyleaf often has things written on her body/clothes and one excerpt was, “The only boast we have is Christ crucified, resurrected, alive right here, right now, fresh start.”

I have never liked when other Christians affront people because they are punk/metalhead, Goth or hippie or whatever other subculture that isn’t “cookie cutter Christian.” I hate it and am annoyed by it in the strongest sense. Some Christians are narrow-minded and self-righteous in their approach to people who look different from them. The only thing to really do is pray for them and, in His perfect time, God will grant them the paradigm change they need.

I know that the way pharisaic Christians act is not the way Jesus would have. Jesus loved the people who were the underdogs, the outcasts, the people the church loved to pick admonish.