TheFireBreathes
11-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Would you be considered a hypocrite if you didnt believe some things in the bible but still had God in your heart? I don't feel like explaining really just wondering..

planet_kosmos
11-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Thats a little too vague for me...Sorry.

Undomiel
11-03-2006, 05:14 PM
i'm not sure....pray about it.

skynes
11-04-2006, 01:21 AM
Would you be considered a hypocrite if you didnt believe some things in the bible but still had God in your heart? I don't feel like explaining really just wondering..

It's a bit of a difficult situation really... I wouldn't necessarily call that person a 'hypocrite'.
A Hypocrite is someone pretending to be what they're not.
If this person is saved, then they can't pretend to be a Christian, cause they are one!

I suppose you should ask the question: Why does this person not believe the Word of God?

If they claim to have faith in God and trust in God, then by default shouldn't they also trust the book that God calls His Word? God laid things out in scripture for our own benefit, if people and society follow the Word of God to the letter, that will be a prosperous life/society.

If they start cutting things out of it to suit themselves, are they really trusting in God? Can you really say the God they believe in is the God revealed in scripture? Or have they made themselves a false god to worship based on what they do and don't like in there?

skilletfreak101
11-04-2006, 09:17 AM
it pretty much depends on where your heart is at. if you disagree with something in the Bible simply because you don't want to deal with it or it's too hard to live up to, then that's pretty stupid. but if something truly puzzles you but you are really a sincere christian, God has no problem with you questioning His Word...because He wants to reveal things in your life and make things more real.

breakthesilence
11-06-2006, 07:57 AM
well said guys...
there's nothing wrong with being uncertain about something the bible says, but instead of deciding not to believe it because it seems too impossible/ridiculous or doesn't seem to line up with what other people say, i would challenge christians to try to find the answer, through prayer and asking other christians, maybe even research it. the bible is, after all, God's word. when you start to pick and chose what you want to believe, you are creating your own god. but if you are constantly striving for the truth, then you are following God.

skynes
11-06-2006, 10:36 PM
I'm uncertain about many things, but I talking on plain unbelief.

e.g. Capital punishment is murder... why? Cause every life is sacred...
But it says in Numbers and Deuteronomy that murderers are to die ...
I don't believe that, it's a writing of man, not God

bob
11-07-2006, 01:55 PM

Then one could argue that God was talking to the Israelites, not us. God is truth, he can't sin, therefore he can't lie. The bible was inspired by God, therefore it must be believed as infallible. Of course, with so many translations out there, some are twisted or misinterpreted.

skilletfreak101
11-07-2006, 02:03 PM

i thought the whole Bible was written by man.

breakthesilence
11-07-2006, 02:44 PM
the Bible was physically written by people but it is what they call inspired by God. the Holy Spirit moved people to write and so their words are from God. so in effect, God wrote the Bible.

lamb_servant72
11-08-2006, 12:15 AM
Brett, when I come across something that confuses me, I ask the Holy Spirit to teach me what it means. There have been times I've gotten so confused and frustrated I wanted to throw my Bible up against a wall. There are some things that I guess are meat that I'm not ready to chew. (Hebrews 5:12)

God doesn't fit into our box.

See, here's something that would be confusing to me. If murderers are to die, why did Elijah never die? He slew 450 prophets of Baal before the whole house of Israel. He never died. He was caught up to Heaven in a chariot.

skynes
11-08-2006, 03:25 AM
See, here's something that would be confusing to me. If murderers are to die, why did Elijah never die? He slew 450 prophets of Baal before the whole house of Israel. He never died. He was caught up to Heaven in a chariot.

Elijah was enacting God's judgement, that false prophets are to die. He didn't murder them.

Biblical Murder: To take a life out of pre-thought malice and hatred.

Tromos
11-08-2006, 04:12 AM
So "murder" is in the intent, not the action?

Hey Lisa, you seem to be the language guru. Any insight on the Hebrew word used for the 5th commandment?

skynes
11-08-2006, 10:38 AM
So "murder" is in the intent, not the action?

Hey Lisa, you seem to be the language guru. Any insight on the Hebrew word used for the 5th commandment?

No in Exodus it is an action, with intent of hatred behind it.

Though Jesus cranked up the requirements on it by saying that if you hate someone, you have committed murder in your heart.

i.e. Capital punishment is not murder. An accidental death is not murder.

the Hebrew word is 'Rasah' which means 'to murder'or 'to kill'

From what I can see it is only used three times in the OT.

Once in Exodus in the 10 commandments.

Once in 1 Kings 19 in reference to Ahab killing Naboth for his vineyard

Once in Hosea 4:2 in reference to the children of Israel's sins.

NightCrawler
11-08-2006, 05:36 PM
The righteous will live by faith -- what does that mean to you? Are we not justified -- stamped with an 'innocent' mark -- by faith? Even if Elijah wasn't pursuing God's judgment on false prophets, God's grace saves him through the righteousness by faith.

skynes
11-09-2006, 03:04 AM
I'd say Elijah was enacting judgement. Though God didn't tell him there and then what to do, He already had it laid out in His law that false prophets are to die.

Tromos
11-09-2006, 05:29 AM
Are we not justified -- stamped with an 'innocent' mark -- by faith?

Ooooo. Do we get to turn this into the Calvinist "Once-saved-always-saved" vs. Catholic/Lutheran "Repent-and-re-dedicate-yourself-daily" discussion? ;D

NightCrawler
11-09-2006, 06:04 AM
No.

DarkestRose
11-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Ooooo. Do we get to turn this into the Calvinist "Once-saved-always-saved" vs. Catholic/Lutheran "Repent-and-re-dedicate-yourself-daily" discussion? ;D

There might be a thread for that somewhere else if you feel like looking.

kittygirl
11-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Can we just talk about God rather than denominations?
This is bigger than that, it doesn't matter.

Okay, once saved always saved doesn't work. That doesn't mean that God loves you any less, but if you start making excuses about sin, that you are not saved. That is a lie.

Secondly, having to 'rededicate' yourself daily doesn't matter, because if you keep having to do that, you really don't believe God when He said He would save you.

This is about God ultimately

skynes
11-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Can we just talk about God rather than denominations?
This is bigger than that, it doesn't matter.

Okay, once saved always saved doesn't work. That doesn't mean that God loves you any less, but if you start making excuses about sin, that you are not saved. That is a lie.

Secondly, having to 'rededicate' yourself daily doesn't matter, because if you keep having to do that, you really don't believe God when He said He would save you.

This is about God ultimately

It's far far more than denomination unfortunately. The Free Will/Predestination starts at the foundation of the gospel and works it way up.

It effects aspects of Christianity like:

- Authority of scripture
- Origin of sin
- Preaching of the Gospel
- Our duty today

literally everything...