aliensoul_squire20
11-05-2006, 05:46 PM
I'm getting one, I can't wait, it's so amazing.

It comes out November 14.

30gigabytes, 3 inch screen, $250.

It's got some really awsome features that I personally thought to make it worth buying over a 30gig iPod(same prices)
www.zunscene.com (http://www.zunescene.com/)
zune.net (http://www.zune.net/en-US/)

alienyouth9292
11-06-2006, 12:37 PM
looks cool.....too bad i just saved up all my money and bought an ipod nano a month ago:( :( :( :(

aliensoul_squire20
11-06-2006, 02:22 PM
ahh.

Well, what size nano?

skilletfreak101
11-06-2006, 02:36 PM
yeah i just got an ipod 30 gig a few weeks ago...darn

alienyouth9292
11-06-2006, 02:36 PM
its a 4gb

aliensoul_squire20
11-06-2006, 03:55 PM
4gig, nice.

Skilletfreak, I think the thing that stinks about the Zune is that Microsoft's not airing any commercials for it. Probably the only way people could've heard about it is:

1) they're a total tech geek and know all the different stuff that's out (don't worry, I'm not a total tech geek)
2) They somehow stumbled across it online, or saw something about it in a store (I stumbled across it online)
3) Or, someone you know tells you about it.

Well, hope you enjoy your iPods.

skilletfreak101
11-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Well, hope you enjoy your iPods.

hahaha thanks. i don't really care what i have...just as long as it plays music and has alot of space :P

dawn of light
11-08-2006, 08:49 AM
so...What is the advantage of having a Zune rather than an iPod?

aliensoul_squire20
11-08-2006, 10:02 AM
ok, the screen is bigger (taller vertically) and you hold the player sideways durng videos for widescreen, so you see more during navigation through menues and videos. You can make your Zune more personal with your own backgrounds.

The menu navigation looks a lot better, without all the going back through menus. You don't have to go back to the albums list to switch albums you look at, just hit left or right. And, you can set certain albums or playlists to shuffle or repeat.

Those are the +'s I can see. Once I get mine, I'll let you all know if it's better than the iPod, or not.

skilletfreak101
11-08-2006, 10:10 AM
ok, the screen is bigger (taller vertically) and you hold the player sideways durng videos for widescreen, so you see more during navigation through menues and videos. You can make your Zune more personal with your own backgrounds.

The menu navigation looks a lot better, without all the going back through menus. You don't have to go back to the albums list to switch albums you look at, just hit left or right. And, you can set certain albums or playlists to shuffle or repeat.

Those are the +'s I can see. Once I get mine, I'll let you all know if it's better than the iPod, or not.
wow that's pretty sweet...if i would have to buy my own mp3 player, i would probably want to get that over an ipod...but the thing is is that my ipod was a gift so i don't really care now...i'm just glad i have an mp3 player. but yeah i'm sure the zune thing is waaaay better than an ipod

aliensoul_squire20
11-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Haha. Yea, my iPod nano was a gift. But, like the idiot I've tended to be, I abused the battery.... :( I feel really bad about it too....

But, I'm still gonna use it, just in my room for listening to music in there.

The Zune's actually been questioned to be "The iPod Killer" :D. But I doubt it will kill the iPod. Mainly because Apple's got like 80% dominancy in the portable media market. And, everyone loves iPods. so, if the Zune truly is the iPod killer, it's got a long, uphill battle ahead of it.

Shoulda come into the game a little sooner Microsoft!

terrasin
11-09-2006, 03:20 AM
After reading up on the Zune, I've decided to push it off my list as I was seriously considering getting one.

The Zune has a nice design. Big, crisp screen, but like Microsoft, they always have to mess things up. This time they messed with some of the most important features such as music and video.

Music files... the Zune supports only 3 kinds. MP3, Zune-Only WMA, and Unprotected AAC. No WAV or WMA Lossless playback. Basically, you can't use files from iTunes, you can't use digital files from Walmart either. The only ways to get music on this thing would be to rip them from a CD yourself into mp3 format, or buy the songs from ZunePass which is monthly subscription based. Not pay for song.

For video... at launch there will be no video on ZunePass. As for the type of files it uses, it will use WMV. Zune software will convert MPEG-4 and H264 files to WMV but doesn't support DRMed video nor will it support DivX or XviD either.

It does have some nice features like the built in WiFi that will talk to other Zunes around the area and you can send music and pictures, but I know I really don't have a use for that. Plus, the music you send only lasts for 3 days or 3 plays and only works within 30 feet of another Zune. It does come with an FM reciever as well, which I like, but with all the compatibility problems, I highly doubt I will get one of these.

CJ

aliensoul_squire20
11-09-2006, 08:57 AM
They say that you can import your iTunes library to the Zune program.

terrasin
11-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Well it's not to say someone won't come up with a third party app to convert your itunes files to work on zune... probably convert the files directly to MP3, however, you won't be able to put your itunes library right on to the Zune without first converting the files, which can take quite a long time if you have a large library... longer if you have to do it one file at a time.

CJ

aliensoul_squire20
11-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Well, yea. I didn't mean directly to the Zune. I meant to the the program that is to Zune as iTunes is to iPod. Zunes website says flat out that you can move your itunes library onto the computer program for the Zune.

And, how long could it possibly take? Probably several minutes for my library, but it's not that bad.

terrasin
11-09-2006, 06:22 PM
I tried looking for it on the site and didn't see it. In any event, this one gets the "unimpressed" sticker from CJ. It looked like it was going to be a good alternitive, but in the end, it just doesn't add up to other players on the market.

CJ

planet_kosmos
11-09-2006, 07:23 PM
Yucky Zune! Anti-Microsoft! Pro Mac!

aliensoul_squire20
11-10-2006, 06:38 AM
You guys are entitled to your oppinions.

CJ, you at least backed up your argument against the Zune.

I'm going out on a limb here for the Zune, but after all I've seen, it looks really good to me.

dawn of light
11-10-2006, 12:19 PM
I have no idea how to convert files and stuff or what the different kind of files are, I'd probably just get the iPod because I use iTunes for my music.

aliensoul_squire20
11-10-2006, 03:16 PM
Ok, here's a scenario:

Say you've been using Windows Media Player for all your music, and you decide to start using iTunes. If it's your first time opening iTunes, it will ask you if you'd like your music transfered to iTunes. If you say "yes", it will automatically transfer all of your music.

It will probably be that way with the program for Zune.

skynes
11-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Zune... the hebrew word for the F-bomb.

I'm sure everyone here wants to get Zuned.

It will probably be that way with the program for Zune.

Don't make assumptions with Microsoft. They'll make the Zune utterly awkward to use then make awkwardness the new standard.

aliensoul_squire20
11-11-2006, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=skynes;313260]Zune... the hebrew word for the F-bomb.
[QUOTE]

Oh yea, I read that. That's hillarious. Someone on a tech-nerd forum was talking about that: "It's very close to the F-Word in hebrew, and is spelled (won't spell it here. I'm a good little boy ^_^). Can't wait till the Israeli release". or something like that.

only a few more days. I REALLY hated these last 2 weeks. Watiing for this is like waiting for Christmas, but I'm buying it.

aliensoul_squire20
11-11-2006, 05:29 PM
I tried looking for it on the site and didn't see it.
CJ

Just wanting to prove my point about auto-transfer from iTunes and WMP to Zune software: And Zune software can automatically import your existing files, including your music and video from iTunes® and Windows Media® Player.[1] http://www.zune.net/en-us/meetzune/software.htm

I just want to be right and prove that I'm not cccrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzz zzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. :P

terrasin
11-12-2006, 04:24 AM
I just find it funny that you could transfer itunes libraries and not songs bought from walmart. I think I would rather go with the reviewers comments and not trust Microsofts word in the matter.

CJ

aliensoul_squire20
11-13-2006, 08:19 AM
I finally saw Zune commercials on TV yesterday! WOOT!!!!!!!!!

THe first one, I didn't see it all, but the end had a guy stepping over a microphone, i think. The second one had a bunch of people at a party or something.

Can't wait till tomorrow;D

aliensoul_squire20
11-14-2006, 09:55 AM
From zunescene.com (http://www.zunescene.com/zune-review/)
Zune Scene was fortunate to get an early look at the Zune MP3 player in LA, so lets get on with the official review:
Display: The key feature on the Zune is really the LCD display. It's actually 44% larger than a video iPod screen. It's large enough to watch a music video, or movie and actually see the expressions on peoples faces. The pixel density is about double that of modern laptops, so it's more like watching a mini HDTV than a mini television. The refresh rate is also higher than a television, which means the frames move extremely fast to make the motion appear fluid rather than jaggy or digitized.

User Interface: The user interface is the second most important feature (after the display) for making the Zune stand out. The large center button can be pushed in 4 directions (left, right , up, down) or pressed straight down. Anyone who can use a web browser can operate the Zune. Pressing the button is similar to clicking a mouse button, it takes you to whatever item is selected, and just like a web browser there is always a back button available. The layout is really minimalist, we observed many people at the LA preview picking up and using the device for the first time without asking any questions or looking for instructions. The menus have a sleek animation from one screen to another that gives the Zune a modern edgy feel, and personalized background pictures stay visible during navigation.

Sharing: The award for most unique feature on the Zune goes to the Wi-Fi functionality. The official range is 30 feet but this is a conservative number, we've already done tests beyond 50 feet. Users can detect who has a Zune in range and then transfer songs, entire albums, and even photos to other Zunes. The recipient is prompted to accept or deny the incoming files. To preserve copyrights, transferred songs can only be played 3 times, then data is automatically deleted. Although the track gets deleted, it can be flagged, in which case the Zune remembers all the details of the track and can fetch it from the Zune Marketplace in a legal and permanent manner.

Feel: The Zune is not slippery. It actually has a matte finish on a special 80 durometer plastic that feels neither hard nor rubbery. A lot of the "softness" comes from the finish texture rather than the material properties. The best part about the outer shell is that it's nearly scratch proof. Dig your nails into it and see what happens. We did our best to scratch the test unit but without any success.

Appearance: The players are not shiny like most consumer electronics lining the shelves these days, and that seems to give them some personality. Although the brown Zune is quite popular with pre-orders, we couldn't get ourselves to like it. The secondary (double shot) colors are not really dominant, they are more of a detail than a color scheme. The dark chrome border around the display and black button is a huge plus for all three colors and without them Zune would be aesthetically lost. The devices look better in person than photos (kind of like most people) and the best thing about them is that they are unique. It's impossible to mistake a Zune for any other player.

Media: The Zune sports a 30GB hard drive capable of storing thousands of songs, images and videos. The hard drive cannot be used as a memory stick for storing and retrieving word documents, zip files, and other such data. This is by far the biggest drawback of the player considering most competing devices are recognized as mass storage drives by computers. FM radio is integrated into the Zune including the ability to gather track info from the airwaves and display it in real time.

Sound: The sound quality of the device is 100% dependent on the headphones used, not so much the player. The standard ear buds are exactly that, standard. They look great, and sound as good as any earbuds on the market, but to get the most out of the player consider upgrading. We actually don't recommend the Zune Premium Earphones either unless you are limited for space. If sound quality is a must, consider blowing $300 on some nice headphones with active noise canceling.

Service: Zune marketplace launches with over 2 million songs and offers 2 options for enthusiasts. Songs can be purchased for about 99 cents or a subscription for infinite downloads can be had for 14.99. Individuals with an existing collection of ripped CD tracks or illegally downloaded music may choose not to participate in the marketplace at all. The Zune will play and even share songs from other sources. Be aware, however, that songs purchased from iTunes are protected with strict DRM codes and cannot be played in the Zune or any other non-Apple device.

Value: The Zune is priced at $249 and quite simply has more features and functionality than any other player in that price range. A comparison chart is available for line by line evaluation with iPod.

Conclusion: Based on features, Zune is the premiere player available on the market today. It has already pressured other manufacturers to drop their prices in an attempt to remain competitive. Expect to see the mp3 category heat up over the next few years as the competition scrambles to add larger screens and Wi-Fi connectivity. The mp3 player is the first Zune branded device to be released, expect to see more Zune products in the future including the Zunephone and Zunegamer among others.

terrasin
11-14-2006, 01:30 PM
I don't like getting reviews from places that support products. Most of the time, I get my reviews from cnet or slashdot because they will put the facts up without bias opinion where as zunescene is only going to put up information to try and promote the product.

Cnet was pretty up front with their review on the Zune. I think they were expecting better from MS to compete with Apple.

CJ

aliensoul_squire20
11-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Okay, here's my review so-far... Since I just got my Zune, I haven't gotten to test it. I just set up the computer software.

So, all I've seen is that it automatically (literally, already done before I opened the program) transfered all my music to the zune program. So, props to that.

but, that's all I know so far, so I'll give a real review after I've used it.

aliensoul_squire20
11-15-2006, 10:20 AM
Okay, my full review on the device. (minus the zune-to-zune sharing, because I probably won't ever get to do that. no one else has one of these) I'm only gonna compare iPods and Zunes in this.

Screen:The hight of the screen (browsing and listening to music) helps to let you see more at once than an iPod would show. When choosing an album to listen to, it shows the album art. The wide-screen for picture and video viewing is sweet. The video quality is amazing, very clear and easy to see. The size of videos helps. In the now playing screen, it displays the album art above the song info, taking up the rest of the screen

Menu navigation:It's simple. The main menu has music, video, picture, radio, community, settings. basic main menu. While in the music menu, you can go side-to-side between albums, artists, playlists, songs, and genres. It's quicker and easier than iPod navigation, with less back-buttonning through menus. Plus, just hold the back button for a couple seconds, and it takes you right back to the main menu. to go from main menu to currently listening, hit back. Simply put, I picked it up and figured it out instantly.

sound quality: pretty good. It would be better with good earbuds. But the quality is good enough. The earbuds are pretty nice though, a little extra shape to help hold it in the ear than iPod earbuds.

Physical aspects:To the contrary of what i thought, it's lighter than a 30gb iPod, and it's not bulky like I thought it would be. The material it's made from is easy to grip and, like the review I posted earlier says, it's very scratch-resistant. The way you hold it is really comfortable. I thought that holding it for videos and pictures would be akward, but it's more natural feeling than holding it upright.

Over-all, I love this thing more than iPod. I give it a 9.5 out of 10. The only downside to the Zune compared to iPod is that there's no clock, calanders, or games. But, it'll probably be added with later upgrades.

skynes
11-15-2006, 10:34 AM
But, it'll probably be added with later upgrades.

As I said earlier...

Don't make assumptions with Microsoft.

Check if the new Zuneified songs will work on anything else now.

aliensoul_squire20
11-15-2006, 03:59 PM
what do you mean if they'll work with anything else? All my music is still on iTunes, and it's on zune also.

skilletfreak101
11-15-2006, 06:33 PM
Plus, just hold the back button for a couple seconds, and it takes you right back to the main menu..

you can do that with an ipod.

Isildur9473
11-15-2006, 09:47 PM
A kid at school had a Zune today. We compared it to my 60 gig iPod video, and it totally beats my iPod into the ground. It looks so sleek, and the videos look a million times better. I'm going to buy one.

terrasin
11-15-2006, 10:12 PM
GREG!!!!!!!! :D

Welcome Back!

CJ

planet_kosmos
11-16-2006, 12:40 AM
Wow! Greg! Long time no panhead boarding!

aliensoul_squire20
11-16-2006, 08:23 AM
you can do that with an ipod.

really? wow, I never knew that...... hmmmmmmmmm........ I'm gonna check on that.

aliensoul_squire20
11-16-2006, 08:25 AM
A kid at school had a Zune today. We compared it to my 60 gig iPod video, and it totally beats my iPod into the ground. It looks so sleek, and the videos look a million times better. I'm going to buy one.

Yay! Another person who wants a Zune.

Y'all don't know this, but I'm secretly recrtuiting people into a Zune-based cult that will sacrifice iPods.:evil: Remember: Secretly. So don't tell yourselves;)

Tromos
11-16-2006, 08:45 AM
Y'all don't know this, but I'm secretly recrtuiting people into a Zune-based cult that will sacrifice iPods.:evil: Remember: Secretly. So don't tell yourselves;)

Are you at least getting kickbacks from King Bill?

aliensoul_squire20
11-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Bill doesn't know about this. It's a surprise to him from me. ;D

terrasin
11-20-2006, 12:27 PM
Well, after some research, I've come to some conclusions. I don't buy mp3's from anywhere but the occasional itunes mp3. All of mine are burnt from cd, so I don't need to worry about that. I won't be using this for video, so thats another thing I don't care about really. The only format of music I use is mp3, so no worries there. So we will be getting a brown Zune I guess.

CJ

whereami
11-20-2006, 01:18 PM
hmm, zunes eh? i tried one out and from what i saw their pretty sweet, the navigation is awesome, the screen is fantastic, works beautifully. but ive also heard that the software is a nightmare and its really really strict about DRM stuff. which i hate, DRM is ruining digital music. but whatever, to each his own. its still a fairly good player. a worthy ipod opponent (although i would recommend the Zen Vision:M myself)

aliensoul_squire20
11-20-2006, 05:13 PM
CJ, you use MP3 , huh? I don't like MP3 format..... too much space..... I didn't realize that until I couldn't fit anywhere near as much music on my nano as I should hold. But, I guess it's not as bad as WMA lossless *cringes*. I prefer AAC. unfortunatly, I can't rip music onto the zune software in AAC format :( . And the Brown Zune is awsome. The black and brown zunes are interestingly colored, the black kinda has a blue-ish tint on the edges where light shines through, and the borwn has a kind of green-yellowish tint on the edges. I think that makes them look even more awsome.

As for the software, it's pretty good. Not quite as easy to adjust to as iTunes, but the thing I like about it a LOT is that you don't need a membership to get album art ^_^. That made me happy, because I like album art.

terrasin
11-21-2006, 10:04 AM
I prefer the mp3 format. Granted, it takes up a little more space, but not much more for the better quality. Plus, no DRM to deal with. :)

CJ

skilletfreak101
11-21-2006, 12:47 PM
I prefer the mp3 format. Granted, it takes up a little more space, but not much more for the better quality. Plus, no DRM to deal with. :)

CJ
mp3 does have better quality in my opinion