bob
11-07-2006, 05:56 PM
http://www.afa.net/Petitions/IssueDetail.asp?id=220

amodman
11-07-2006, 06:55 PM
http://www.afa.net/Petitions/IssueDetail.asp?id=220

My very being trembles with the pointlessness of it all.

skilletfreak101
11-07-2006, 07:24 PM
hahahaha

terrasin
11-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Funny thing is that they won't care how many emails they get. They are rich, and like other major companies, pretty much do whatever they want within legal limits (or illegal from stories I've heard of how they treat employees) reguardless of what people think. The bottom line is that people will shop there regardless of what they support just to save a few bucks. They hold a monopoly on the major consumer market anymore. The only other option would be to pay twice as much at the last local mom and pop stores.

CJ

lamb_servant72
11-07-2006, 11:48 PM
The only other option would be to pay twice as much at the last local mom and pop stores.

CJ

I know people who do that.

I wish this guy had used sources so we could verify. I tried to go to the WM site, but it's down right now.

alorian
11-08-2006, 03:22 AM
It's their business and their right to do so. They want to promote something like that, go ahead, you have that right. 'Nuff said

Starbucks5721
11-08-2006, 04:44 AM
Yeah, my whole chuch decided to quit shopping there. On one hand, I get why, but on the other, it's kindof annoying, because our town only has a WalMart. We're getting a Target soon, but I heard they are in the same deal anyways.

dawn of light
11-08-2006, 07:45 AM
My mom doesn't shop at WalMart. Not because of the gay marriage thing, but because she'd rather support smaller businesses. I rarely shop at WalMart anyway, besides it's kind of taboo for me to shop there, since I work for Safeway.

zeroneff
11-08-2006, 11:08 AM
My dad dosen't like walmart becuse every time we go we end up spending more than $200

kittygirl
11-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Excuse me, but this goes back to the famous saying "Think globally, act locally."

Petitions do not change people. (I'm sorry ATF, but starting a riot to try and get people to 'rethink their position' won't do anything)

God changes people, but the only thing we really should do is love other people, even when they're wrong. By this I don't mean turning the other cheek, but loving people for what they have now, and seeing them the way God sees them. Homosexuality makes God sad, it is wrong.

We still need to call sin sin, and love others at the same time. Love means telling people the truth in a graceful manner. Even if they don't like it

somasoul
11-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Christians can be some of the most unChristian people I've ever seen.

The rediculousness' of this petition consumes me.

skilletfreak101
11-09-2006, 07:44 AM
Christians can be some of the most unChristian people I've ever seen.

The rediculousness' of this petition consumes me.
i'm with you there. i'm a christian but i don't shove my beliefs down people's throats. when christians do that (which is ALOT of them) that's really not the love of Christ. i think we need to be reading the Bible alot more...:-P

terrasin
11-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Kind of reminds me of the Christians who spend their lives protesting everything... Harry Potter, The Da Vinci Code, Marilyn Manson... really, what's the point other than to feed their own attention desire.

CJ

kittygirl
11-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Kind of reminds me of the Christians who spend their lives protesting everything... Harry Potter, The Da Vinci Code, Marilyn Manson... really, what's the point other than to feed their own attention desire.

CJ

I agree. I think you're right.

Attention can be a monster, people want to be thought of as "open-minded", someone who is not judgemental. But at the same time, they really don't believe anything in the first place.

Nedarbi
11-11-2006, 10:42 PM
that reminds me of a women that i saw on cnn. i dont remember the exact topic but it had to do with her religious group and how they were warning people about how they were going to hell. this lady was yelling at the cnn people about how they are wicked and going to hell. shw was really angering them too. i remeber how disappointed i was just watching her. its sad how people can get the wrong impression about christianity so easily from people like that.

somasoul
11-12-2006, 03:49 AM
that reminds me of a women that i saw on cnn. i dont remember the exact topic but it had to do with her religious group and how they were warning people about how they were going to hell. this lady was yelling at the cnn people about how they are wicked and going to hell. shw was really angering them too. i remeber how disappointed i was just watching her. its sad how people can get the wrong impression about christianity so easily from people like that.

Sounds like that Phelps-Roper chick.

http://www.phelpschartered.com/images/ShirleyPhelpsRoper.jpg

Vuren
11-12-2006, 03:51 AM

was it some lady named phelps from westboro chruch in kansas?

you know...the one who says IED's are god's choice of weaponary...

bah you beat me to it!

but yes she's quite crazy, they even went into the funeral service for a solider in baltimore at his former high school...i think that's just crazy!

somasoul
11-12-2006, 08:08 AM
but yes she's quite crazy, they even went into the funeral service for a solider in baltimore at his former high school...i think that's just crazy!

That was just a few weeks ago. I live in Baltimore and a lot of people I know wanted to go down and protest the protestors. I think that's the worst thing to do. We need to just ignore these people. How and why they get so much press is crazy to me. There are only like two or three dozen of them and they are all related. How come such a small group gets such attention is beyond me.

terrasin
11-12-2006, 11:07 AM
That was just a few weeks ago. I live in Baltimore and a lot of people I know wanted to go down and protest the protestors. I think that's the worst thing to do. We need to just ignore these people. How and why they get so much press is crazy to me. There are only like two or three dozen of them and they are all related. How come such a small group gets such attention is beyond me.
It's simple. They just do the most despicable things imaginable, like protesting the funeral of a soldier. It makes people angry and makes people ask why they would do such a thing. Instant press. :\

CJ

Nedarbi
11-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Sounds like that Phelps-Roper chick.

http://www.phelpschartered.com/images/ShirleyPhelpsRoper.jpg

yes thats the lady!

man she made me angry. even her face looks evil. lol

NightCrawler
11-12-2006, 04:42 PM
I am boycotting WalMart

NightCrawler
11-12-2006, 04:49 PM
(it is a much simpler response ... just enlighten your friends and tell them to do similarly, if they boycott ...woot. If they don't, whatever)

Tromos
11-13-2006, 08:13 AM
How come such a small group gets such attention is beyond me.

Because our press feeds on hate.

riz
11-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Yeah, that's definitely going to work, that petition, those phone calls, all those hundreds of voices of displeasure. Right.

All it will do is breed more hatred, animosity, enmity, disunity, bigotry, and irritation. All Christian values, as you can see.

DarkestRose
11-15-2006, 09:38 AM
All it will do is breed more hatred, animosity, enmity, disunity, bigotry, and irritation. All Christian values, as you can see.

That is how I see this whole protesting thing. My opinion is that Christians should just reach out in love, compassion, tolerance, forgiveness, mercy and grace to the homosexual population instead of constantly demonstrating that they don't like them. It's okay if we don't agree with them or approve of what they are doing, but all of these petitions, boycotts and whatever-ness doesn't do anything except make the Christian Church look bad.

Isildur9473
11-15-2006, 09:34 PM
Those people only get as much attention as people with common sense pay to them. There will always be radicals, but why give them any credit? Too bad our society will never reach the point where we can let these movements stay in rural Idaho or some other dump like that. Then they could stay in their isolated villages and talk about how wrong everyone else is, and we wouldn't be confronted with stuff like this.

animeraven34
11-16-2006, 08:24 AM
First of all, I gotta get something off my chest. I'm sick of people complaining about the Phelps. I LIVE in the same freakin' city as the Phelps! Their "Church" is just a few blocks away, I see them out picketing almost everyday. You don't even know half the crap they pull. They're constantly going up and down one of the heaviest traveled roads in Topeka with brightly colored signs saying stuff like "Butt = Fag God", "Thank God for 9/11!", and (the one I hate seeing the most) a sign with two stick figures depicting two men having sex. Almost makes you wonder what it says about someone who's supposed to be "protesting" homosexuals when they're carrying a sign depicting homosexual acts... And, by the way, they make 11 and 12 year old children carry these signs too. Next time you start to complain about the Phelps, remember those of us here in Topeka who have to live with them almost daily.

As for the whole Wal-Mart thing, who gives a crap?! First I heard of it, my fiancee's parents came home and the first thing out of her mother's mouth was "We need to stop shopping at Wal-Mart because they support gay marriage." I just rolled my eyes and left. I knew they weren't going to stick to their guns, and sure enough, a couple days later they went shopping at Sam's Club. People are going to keep shopping there, no matter what Wal-Mart supports. Anyway, I think Christians overreact...to everything. "Boycott Wal-Mart for supporting gay marriage!" "Boycott Disney!" "Boycott movie studios that make films with sexual content, violence, and cursing!" Seriously, I think Christians in general need to shut up and take a few steps back to get a good, long look at themselves. Then maybe they'd realize that, hey, people don't respond to well when you claim to be all about love then turn around and threaten them.

I'd be perfectly fine with ignoring these moronic radicals, but as there is a lack of common sense, relatively few actually do ignore them.

NightCrawler
11-16-2006, 09:04 AM
That is how I see this whole protesting thing. My opinion is that Christians should just reach out in love, compassion, tolerance, forgiveness, mercy and grace to the homosexual population instead of constantly demonstrating that they don't like them. It's okay if we don't agree with them or approve of what they are doing, but all of these petitions, boycotts and whatever-ness doesn't do anything except make the Christian Church look bad.
Forgiveness? Yes. Mercy? Yes. Love and compassion? Yes. Tolerance? NO.

Protest quietly. You won't look crazy, and heck... you'll be more effective.

DarkestRose
11-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Tolerance doesn't mean to one agrees with or approves with something, in this case homosexuality. It just acceptance of the person despite differences. I'm really kind of sick of "tolerance" being a Christian curse word.

animeraven34
11-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Forgiveness? Yes. Mercy? Yes. Love and compassion? Yes. Tolerance? NO.

Protest quietly. You won't look crazy, and heck... you'll be more effective.
"They're different! No tolerance! Different bad!"

I hope you realize everything else you listed goes or SHOULD go hand in hand with tolerance.

unshakeable15
11-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Let's try this.

"Tolerance" is a buzz word that has lost most of its meaning. What is the definition Jennifer and Jonthathan are using (i'm guessing it's not going to be the same definition). That definition does not need to be out of the dictionary; it would be better if you didn't check webster.com, in fact. Give us the use you meant it (or read it) in the above post.

DarkestRose
11-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Well, I already stated my definition in an above post. My feeling is that is simply accepting a person for who they are even if one does not agree with their viewpoints or approve of what they are doing.

I do not approve of the homosexual lifestyle, nor do I agree the viewpoints of those who endorse it. Homosexuality is a sexual sin. I still believe that I can adamantly accept someone who is a homosexual for who they are and show them tolerance without endorsing their lifestyle.

skilletfreak101
11-16-2006, 06:58 PM
i think we should all realize that we are all just as bad and sinful as homosexuals. none of us are better than eachother because all sin is equal in God's eyes. it's by His grace and love that we're saved

NightCrawler
11-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Let's try this.

"Tolerance" is a buzz word that has lost most of its meaning. What is the definition Jennifer and Jonthathan are using (i'm guessing it's not going to be the same definition). That definition does not need to be out of the dictionary; it would be better if you didn't check webster.com, in fact. Give us the use you meant it (or read it) in the above post.

To tolerate is to allow something to enter in and be okay with it.

See also 'alcohol tolerance,' 'poison tolerance,' 'tolerant behaviour,' etc.

The first two are damaging to the body's system, 'tolerance' in this sense means that they can allow more of a poisonous substance without having a seizure or heavy negative effects.

Now, back to the tolerance of sin. For example, do I tolerate lies? No, I don't -- whether it is lying to me, my friends or anyone really. But I will be kind to a liar, albeit very disappointed in him.

Now, go a step even further. Say a group of liars are proud of their behaviour. Then some organization or store decides to openly support that group. What would I do? Well, I wouldn't do business with them. Because I don't tolerate lies.

DarkestRose
11-25-2006, 04:11 PM
And you don't have to do business with them.

My thoughts are simply that Wal-Mart is not the first store to carry books that are written with a pro-gay slant. Borders does. Barnes and Noble does. I would guess that most, if not all, secular book stores do.

My thinking goes that the time spent organizing a boycott of Wal-Mart would be better spent reaching out to people of homosexual orientation and loving them like Jesus would.

LeShep
11-25-2006, 05:36 PM
wow and to think I was just ticked-off cause the cd selection....or lack of.

DarkestRose
11-26-2006, 06:09 PM
wow and to think I was just ticked-off cause the cd selection....or lack of.

haha. My Wal-Mart doesn't even have Skillet. :(

LeShep
11-26-2006, 07:23 PM
I know and I keep asking for them to get em and they take down their name and the cd title and how many copies I want.... I always say 10-12 cause family will sure buy it if they have it.... but still never see it :P darn walmart!!

the ones in eastern Kentucky really have a puny section of Christain rock... some even told me to just tell them its rock, but still not seeing them :(

terrasin
11-27-2006, 02:34 AM
I ended up moving the Skillet nametag thingy from the christian to the mainstream section. They had 1 copy of comatose and one ay last time I was in.

CJ

NightCrawler
11-27-2006, 10:44 AM
And you don't have to do business with them.

My thoughts are simply that Wal-Mart is not the first store to carry books that are written with a pro-gay slant. Borders does. Barnes and Noble does. I would guess that most, if not all, secular book stores do.

My thinking goes that the time spent organizing a boycott of Wal-Mart would be better spent reaching out to people of homosexual orientation and loving them like Jesus would.
If it was about books, it would be much simpler. But WalMart makes it worse.

But they are now favoring businesses who support GLBT (gay lesbian bisexual and transgendered) groups over businesses that do not. Therefore if a business wants to be competetive, it must also support gays to get business with WalMart. Goodbye any businesses that do not support them.

In addition, 5% of all online sales go to the Washington DC Community Center for Gay, Lesbian Bisexual and Transgender People

DarkestRose
11-27-2006, 01:40 PM
And I can understand why such a stance would create Christian opposition to the company. Since Christians make up a good portion of their market, I can’t help but feel that they [Wal-Mart] were really asking for it. But anyway…

I see the Wal-Mart boycott as more of a diversion. It gets Christians focused on retaining morality, which is a good thing. Sexual purity and the sanctimony of marriage are issues worth fighting over. Preserving these things is something to get fired up about. But it does not seem to accomplish much besides reiterating that Christians are against homosexuality and don’t want to support it. There is nothing wrong with that stance, I feel the same way.

My belief is that evangelism, spreading the Gospel, should be Christian’s first priority. I think we were truly Christ-like and we shared the Gospel as much as we commit to protests/boycotts, we would reach more people for God. If we reached out the homosexual population with the same fervor that we protest anything supporting homosexuality, we might see some more change.

I truly believe that the Christians involved in the boycott have nothing more than good intentions. I just question how much it really means in light of eternity. It seems eternity would be better off if homosexuals were reached instead of protested. This doesn’t communicate the love of Christ and the grace of God. So I see this is something that’s good, but a diversion from what’s really important.

NightCrawler
11-27-2006, 07:55 PM
The key is two-fold activity.
Lose no ground.
Take ground.

Stand to morality.
Evangelize.

Lose one, you lose the other. Vice versa.

alorian
11-29-2006, 02:41 PM
Walmart..

I might go there today and buy some frozen foods. Foods I can microwave if I get hungry. Our Super Walmart has a Subway in it, so I might go there too haha.

DarkestRose
11-30-2006, 11:39 PM
I don't really see the Wal-Mart thing as losing ground. I don't think hearts will become less fertile or souls become less willing to hear about Jesus. I think its more important to focus on the people than the business. Reaching out isn't ignoring a stand at morality. I think standing and reaching out are one inextricable action.

Tromos
12-01-2006, 04:24 AM
Not to spoil the fun of the argument or anything, but my understanding is that WalMart has recanted their position.

Here's the WalMart statement:

http://www.walmartfacts.com/articles/4617.aspx

And here's the AFA response:

http://www.afa.net/Petitions/Issuedetail.asp?id=223

Nothing to see here folks. Everyone just go along your way...

DarkestRose
12-01-2006, 01:53 PM
It's all cool. I was getting kinda bored of the argument.