kittygirl
11-08-2006, 04:11 PM
I'm not quite sure whether or not this belongs in Mars Hill, but this has been something on my mind lately.
What are your thoughts on if a band is on a Christian label, or a Christian radio station, but isn't a Christian band?

I listen to some artists or bands that aren't Christian, because I like them. I am not saying that you should solely listen to Christian music. But I am saying that it kind of bothers me when bands that do not (repeat) do not call themselves a christian band at all are put on a label that is,or played on a christian radio station.

Some of the songs, or the bands that are called christian are not that blatent, well written, or even good. SO...I can kind of see how people would want to listen to something that's better constructed.

Tromos
11-09-2006, 06:23 AM
So, let's take TFK for example.

TFK is on Tooth & Nail - considered a Christian label.

Set It Off from TFK has a lot of blatantly Christian messages. Phenomenon and Art of Breaking have very few and those are subtle.

TFK does not consider themselves a Christian band. They are a band whose members are Christians, but the music is not and is not intended to be Christian, as such. Positive, yes. But not necessarily Christian.

Perhaps Relient K, Switchfoot, and MXPX are other examples.

Are these the types of bands you're talking about? I want to clarify your question before we get any further.

skilletfreak101
11-09-2006, 07:50 AM
I'm not quite sure whether or not this belongs in Mars Hill, but this has been something on my mind lately.
What are your thoughts on if a band is on a Christian label, or a Christian radio station, but isn't a Christian band?

I listen to some artists or bands that aren't Christian, because I like them. I am not saying that you should solely listen to Christian music. But I am saying that it kind of bothers me when bands that do not (repeat) do not call themselves a christian band at all are put on a label that is,or played on a christian radio station.

Some of the songs, or the bands that are called christian are not that blatent, well written, or even good. SO...I can kind of see how people would want to listen to something that's better constructed.
i don't know if you've ever heard of them, but there's a band called the Agony Scene, and they started out on Solid State Records...everyone thought they were a Christian band because they played their music and videos on all the "christian" stations and what not...but it turns out they were never a christian band and i highly doubt they are even individual christians. it doesn't make sence to me why they were on solid state records when they are really don't want anything to do with christianity.

kittygirl
11-09-2006, 12:55 PM
I am talking about the Agony Scene, actually. I recall reading an article about them in HM magazine, and it bothered me, to tell the truth. "I think it's ridiculous that anybody would even consider not listening. That's a blind, foolish thing that even, you know. Jesus never even taught-to just not listen to anybody because they believe differently."

Okay, first of all, I don't even think he really knows what he believes, and secondly, I feel as if people are becoming amazingly passive in what they believe. In the industry, I was refering to artists (say Natasha Bedingfield) being on the radio, even though they aren't Christians themselves, and aren't even on a Christian label.

I can't explain why that bothers me