sixgunstoglory
11-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Ok, so seeing these guys live, the y dont play seven strings. Anyone know who they tune? They can't tune to B cause the use capos. Anyone tell me? I appreciate it.

DustinRocks
11-11-2006, 10:48 PM
On the cds its just drop D and standard.

GuitarHero
11-14-2006, 05:52 PM
on collide its mostly dropped d and a step cgcfad

skilletfreak101
11-14-2006, 06:39 PM
Ok, so seeing these guys live, the y dont play seven strings. Anyone know who they tune? They can't tune to B cause the use capos. Anyone tell me? I appreciate it.
they use capos??!?!?!

Aaron Graves
11-14-2006, 07:27 PM
ok what they do....
they have one guitar tuned to drop Bb and the other guitar drop D...
and during the show there switchen between bolth of them...accept for the acustics..
then it's just standerd tuning..

Didymus
11-16-2006, 01:05 PM
can anyone tell me what equipment they use? I'm interested particularly in the guitars

terrasin
11-16-2006, 04:03 PM
GMP, which no longer exists and was too expencive when they did. :P

CJ

skilletfreak101
11-16-2006, 04:23 PM
GMP, which no longer exists and was too expencive when they did. :P

CJ
they no longer exist?!?!?!?!?!?

Shadow-Phoenix
11-16-2006, 04:39 PM
they are out of production...:'(

terrasin
11-16-2006, 10:27 PM
Their gimmick was their paint jobs. They sounded great but they weren't near worth what they charged. It was all in the paint job.

CJ

skilletfreak101
11-17-2006, 05:19 AM
that's too bad. oh well...PRS is probably better...i'll get one of those :-P

terrasin
11-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Ben recently got a full guitar endorsement from PRS Guitars and a partial from Larrivee Acoustic Guitars.

CJ

Aaron Graves
11-17-2006, 11:38 AM
i knew he played PRS...
i wasen't 100% sher but now i know..

if your wondering what effex ben uses..
it would be the POD XT...
im not sher if he uses it now ..
but i know he used it in the collide album

terrasin
11-17-2006, 07:53 PM
He doesn't use the PRS yet. They are in the process of being built. He is using the GMP till then... and probably will after he gets them as well.

I don't remember him ever using a POD XT. The POD is an amp emulator. I'm pretty sure all his amps were real.

CJ

Aaron Graves
11-18-2006, 07:01 PM
well when i was at the collide show i asked him and he told me he had a podXT alined with some other pedals...

terrasin
11-18-2006, 07:47 PM
I could be wrong, but I've never seen it. But my interest in guitars is also nill, so it could also have been an easy miss for me. ;)

CJ

skilletfreak101
11-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Ben recently got a full guitar endorsement from PRS Guitars and a partial from Larrivee Acoustic Guitars.

CJ
are you kidding me?!?!??! that's amazing!

Aaron Graves
11-19-2006, 07:03 PM
it's pretty sweet...
so i went out today in search for a GMP..
and what do you know i found one...
i had to go all the way to a denver custom guitar shop..
there nice but expensive!!

DustinRocks
11-24-2006, 01:21 PM
I prefer to play a standard such a Les Paul over GMPs. I used a GMP briefly but it cost so much. PRS are great if you go custom but the stock pick-ups are over wound and have to much distortion.

Also I heard Ben used the POD XT for effects only. Not for amp simluation.

panheadko
11-29-2006, 03:27 PM
that's too bad. oh well...PRS is probably better...i'll get one of those :-P

All I have to say is do your research. I believe PRS is more over priced than GMP's....I've played extensively on both and the GMP blows the PRS away in my opinion.....But remember it is what you like, don't conform to what people say is "good", go and test it and see if they're right or wrong. My friend recently went to buy a high end guitar thinking he was going to get a PRS but didn't think it was worth the money at all and got a Music Man Luke with the Piezo. A much better choice. Remember on the Collide Ben began to use a PRS in recording but kept going back to the GMP because he thought it just sounded better....which I have to agree with the experience I've had with both brands....I've never liked PRS, I got an ESP of the same quality for like half the price....and I actually like the way the ESP plays better. I use a GMP Elite bass and that thing is amazing, it's main bass....GMP made top notch stuff....

Ben uses a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier which I owned but recently sold to get money for my bass rig. That head is a monster...a little muddy if you don't tweak it enough. But still a great head. But Ben uses numerous pedals to tweak his tone....so if you buy the Triple Rec. don't expect to get his sound instantly.

Ben has his Pawn Shop Special tuned to Drop B but for Rebirthing which is played in Drop C#, they put a capo on the second fret. Then for older songs he has his Roxie tuned to Drop D which he tunes to standard tuning for the ballards....

]{.{}.

skilletfreak101
11-29-2006, 07:36 PM
All I have to say is do your research. I believe PRS is more over priced than GMP's....I've played extensively on both and the GMP blows the PRS away in my opinion.....But remember it is what you like, don't conform to what people say is "good", go and test it and see if they're right or wrong. My friend recently went to buy a high end guitar thinking he was going to get a PRS but didn't think it was worth the money at all and got a Music Man Luke with the Piezo. A much better choice. Remember on the Collide Ben began to use a PRS in recording but kept going back to the GMP because he thought it just sounded better....which I have to agree with the experience I've had with both brands....I've never liked PRS, I got an ESP of the same quality for like half the price....and I actually like the way the ESP plays better. I use a GMP Elite bass and that thing is amazing, it's main bass....GMP made top notch stuff....

Ben uses a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier which I owned but recently sold to get money for my bass rig. That head is a monster...a little muddy if you don't tweak it enough. But still a great head. But Ben uses numerous pedals to tweak his tone....so if you buy the Triple Rec. don't expect to get his sound instantly.

Ben has his Pawn Shop Special tuned to Drop B but for Rebirthing which is played in Drop C#, they put a capo on the second fret. Then for older songs he has his Roxie tuned to Drop D which he tunes to standard tuning for the ballards....

]{.{}.
yeah man i've tried tons of PRS's and i love them to death...but i've never tried a GMP so you're right, they might be better. noticed that i said that PRS was "probably better." i really want to try a GMP but i can't find one anywhere

DustinRocks
11-30-2006, 06:24 PM
The thing to remember with buying a guitar is definitely remembering that tone comes as much if not more from the amp than the guitar if you want the Skillet sound it not so much the guitar as it is the amp.

You have a PRS but it you run through a Crate amp or even a nice tube fender your not gonna even get close to the saturation Skillet has. You'd need to run a Hi-Gain amp such as a Mesa Boogie Dual or Tripple Rect., Peavey XXX, Peavey 5150, Marshall Mode 4, Maybe even a JCM2000 DSL with a 4x12 (prefferably a mesa or peavey 6505.)those cabs tend to have more bottom end than say a vintage marshall or some cheap cab like a behringer.

There tone is so much more than a guitar. Put a Duncan 59 on any guitar and you'll get very close to the sound if you run the right amp.

Trust me GMPs are over rated........

skilletfreak101
11-30-2006, 08:19 PM
well i don't really care about getting skillet's tone...i just think PRS's are amazing

DustinRocks
11-30-2006, 10:45 PM
They play good but I'm not a fan

I'm just a fender/gibson guy

Who happens to play hagstrom due to endorsements

skilletfreak101
12-02-2006, 11:36 AM
yeah i'm all for fender...i've got 2 fender strats...they are amazing guitars

DustinRocks
12-03-2006, 03:44 PM
did you change the pick ups out on those guys?

breakthesilence
12-03-2006, 04:27 PM
i don't like the tone on strats... is good for punk and maybe ska but that's about it. mine sounded like a banjo with the amp i had. now i have a gibson sg & it's lovely.
we dug up some old tube amps at my school once and the sound was... oh man it was amazing. indescribable.
tone is in the strings a bit too. my tone is dying cause i need to change the strings. and different strings give you different tone.

DustinRocks
12-03-2006, 06:24 PM
the things is with strats you gotta change the pick ups to get ahevay sound. I added a Duncan an it makes some Gibsons sound tame.

skilletfreak101
12-03-2006, 06:48 PM
did you change the pick ups out on those guys?
no i didn't. i'm probably just weird, but i like the tone i get from my strat when i play heavier stuff. my band i guess you could say is kinda "grungy." we're an all fender-playing band and we play rock n' roll with single coils :-P. and i also play alot of blues and stuff and strats get amazing blues tone.

Aaron Graves
12-04-2006, 04:29 PM
fenders arnt all that great..
i got a costum strat but it still doesen't compare to my schecter ...
and by the way PRS are not bad guitars..
the necks on those guitars make it easier for fast action..
and if ya got a problem with the sound just go get some costum duncan pickups..

DustinRocks
12-04-2006, 08:47 PM
dude my strat owns any schecter and my schecter is an amazing C-1 custom. you just havent played a good fender.

skilletfreak101
12-05-2006, 09:26 AM
haha fender owns shecter!!

breakthesilence
12-05-2006, 01:30 PM
the things is with strats you gotta change the pick ups to get ahevay sound. I added a Duncan an it makes some Gibsons sound tame.

true true... i don't really like the feel of strats either though so it works. my sg is great. but i tried a les paul once and i didn't like it at all.

there is a schecter i really want but i probably will never get it...

my guitar's name is evelyn sue.

alienyouth9292
12-05-2006, 05:50 PM
true true... i don't really like the feel of strats either though so it works. my sg is great. but i tried a les paul once and i didn't like it at all.

there is a schecter i really want but i probably will never get it...

my guitar's name is evelyn sue.

my dad has a les paul and he loves it. i do too. it feels great!8)

DustinRocks
12-05-2006, 07:15 PM
I love Les Pauls. Fat Strat and Les Pauls are my loves.

skilletfreak101
12-06-2006, 12:24 PM
in my personal opinion i think SG's are better. les pauls are too heavy :-P.

DustinRocks
12-06-2006, 06:00 PM
th weight makes a huge differance in tone. Even GMPS weigh a ton... like worse than any Paul

Aaron Graves
12-07-2006, 05:46 AM
what do you mean i don't got a good fender..
my fender cost me over $6,000..

skilletfreak101
12-07-2006, 06:18 AM
what do you mean i don't got a good fender..
my fender cost me over $6,000..
$6,000??!?!?!?? what the heck model did you get? mine was $1,000 and that was alot for me

DustinRocks
12-07-2006, 08:50 AM
The price doesnt determine a guitar i bought my american strat used. and work on it myself. its incredibly fast. payying more than 2,000 for a guitar is almost silly. My band has been robbed at least twice.

DustinRocks
12-07-2006, 08:52 AM
If you playing 6,000 dollar strat lets her ya play. I'm curious. You must be shredder.

skilletfreak101
12-07-2006, 03:40 PM
yeah i agree, expensive price doesn't always make a guitar better

Aaron Graves
12-09-2006, 08:29 AM
yeah it does..
my guitar is an all costum guitar..
i tell fender what i want on it and they put it together.
and yeah i am a crazy guitarist..
i've been playin since i was 4 yars old..
so belive me when i say i know what im talkin about..lol

DustinRocks
12-09-2006, 10:02 AM
post a myspace clip or somethin... I'm curious

purevolume.com/onewayworship
myspace.com/pressplaymusic06

Aaron Graves
12-10-2006, 07:37 PM
i'll send you the link once my band gets our new CD online..

terrasin
12-11-2006, 04:53 AM
You don't have any demos of just you playing and messing around? I'm interested to hear as well.

CJ

Aaron Graves
12-11-2006, 06:47 AM
yeah i do but it's all pretty old..
i'll put somthin together for ya guys..

Grunge=Fun
12-11-2006, 09:34 AM
fenders arnt all that great..
i got a costum strat but it still doesen't compare to my schecter ...
and by the way PRS are not bad guitars..
the necks on those guitars make it easier for fast action..
and if ya got a problem with the sound just go get some costum duncan pickups..

What do you mean Fenders arent all that great? I have one and I think its amazing! I can agree that if your trying to shred they arent good at all but for blues and just pure rock they are amazing. I have mine with a humbucker at the bridge and it brings just enough heavy tone for my band. I just use Standard and dropped D tunings with it and if I went any lower it would probably sound like crap but I think they are amazing.

Aaron Graves
12-11-2006, 09:49 AM
i'll admit for jazz and blues i would use it over a schecter.
but for anything else i would use my schecter..
but have any of you guys heard of Zion guitars?
they are the most amazing guitars you could ever play.
i can't even explain how great they are.

check them out!!

www.zionguitars.com

Grunge=Fun
12-11-2006, 11:13 AM
DANG PHIL KEAGGY uses zion guitars

Aaron Graves
12-11-2006, 05:43 PM
yeah..
like i said...
those guitars are amazing!!

DustinRocks
12-11-2006, 09:44 PM
For playing rock I love Les Pauls. Thats just how it is for me.

skilletfreak101
12-12-2006, 05:28 AM
pretty much everything else i play that's not classical..i'll use my strat. sooner or later im going to start saving for a PRS for my band though

Aaron Graves
12-12-2006, 03:45 PM
if i where you i would stay with schecter or zion..
but thats just my opion

Unregistered
01-01-2007, 10:54 AM
anybody know what bridge pickup Ben has in his Pawn Shop Special? When the GMP site was still up I distinctly remember them either having a Ducan Custom 5 or a Custom Custom, or maybe 2 different models had both. Cuz really, the bassy/low mids his pickup has makes his recto do unworldly things. I've never heard anyone get that bone crushing low end on "whispers" before.

Aaron Graves
01-03-2007, 07:34 PM
yeah you where right.
it's the duncan custom 5

skilletfreak101
01-04-2007, 09:41 AM
i'll admit for jazz and blues i would use it over a schecter.
but for anything else i would use my schecter..
but have any of you guys heard of Zion guitars?
they are the most amazing guitars you could ever play.
i can't even explain how great they are.

check them out!!

www.zionguitars.com
are you kidding me...i'd use a schecter for jazz...hahaha just kidding

Aaron Graves
01-04-2007, 06:16 PM
well if your usin a C1 elite..
yeah that would work for jazz..
it also depends on your set up too.