pizza brain
11-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Today before the offering was given at our church one of the members of the worship team was talking about praying for our offerings and how we should keep praying for it before and after you give it. This got me thinking "How many times does somethign need to be prayed for? Does the number change? If so what affects it?" and "Does praying for something several times demonstrate a lack of faith? Or does it follow Scripture?"
Here's what I've come up with so far.The number does very and what it depends on would probably be some if not all of the thigns, God's will (God setting a number etc.) , ones faith (One didn't have faith the first time one asked but did the second etc.), and God saying no (Pray all you want it isn't gonna happen.) As far as the other 2 praying more than 1 time for some thing can but doesn't always demostrate a lack of faith and it is Biblical Luke 18 verses 1-8.
What do yalls think?

planet_kosmos
11-12-2006, 11:31 PM
I say pray until something happens.

weebird20
11-13-2006, 06:22 AM
this verse popped into my head when i read your post Matt...

Ephesians 6:18, "Pray all the time. Ask God for anything in line with the Holy Spirit's wishes. Plead with Him, reminding Him of your needs, and keep praying earnestly for all Christians everywhere."

We are told to remind God of our needs...so id go with what planet_kosmo said...

Pray until something happens :P

theelectric3
11-17-2006, 03:19 PM
several verses come to mind:

"Be anxious [greatly worried] for nothing [no thing]but in everything by prayer and supplication [specific prayer for specific need] with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

we are to make our requests known (for He cares for us 1 Peter 5:7) and be thankful! don't be the child always asking for something from their parent and never thankful. always wanting this or that or the other.

having a thankful heart is big. all we need to do is look at what He has saved us from, all the times He has met our needs, and we'll find that being thankful to God is easy. He deserves it.

skilletfreak101
11-27-2006, 08:31 PM
God already knows what we need in our life before we pray about it, so why would we need to repeat ourselves? i would think that God would find it annoying when you would keep repeating the same thing to him...hehehe.

Tromos
11-28-2006, 05:41 AM
God already knows what we need in our life before we pray about it, so why would we need to repeat ourselves? i would think that God would find it annoying when you would keep repeating the same thing to him...hehehe.

And yet, Jesus instructs us to pray unceasingly for that very reason! In fact, Jesus had two separate parables that reinforced the importance of repeating your request until it is answered:

"Then he said to them, "Suppose one of you has a friend, and he goes to him at midnight and says, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, because a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him.' Then the one inside answers, 'Don't bother me. The door is already locked, and my children are with me in bed. I can't get up and give you anything.' I tell you, though he will not get up and give him the bread because he is his friend, yet because of the man's boldness he will get up and give him as much as he needs. "So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." - Luke 11:5-10

And just in case you missed the point of that one, Luke even explains the purpose of the next one:

"Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. He said: "In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared about men. And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, 'Grant me justice against my adversary.' For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, 'Even though I don't fear God or care about men, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually wear me out with her coming!'" And the Lord said, "Listen to what the unjust judge says. And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly." - Luke 18:1-8a

So the answer is simple: Continue to pray until the prayer is answered. It might take your whole life, but that's what we're told to do.

skilletfreak101
11-28-2006, 06:17 PM
i think that with that second parable, Jesus is merely saying that God will never fail to answer the prayer that you pray...when he talks about the judge who neither feared God or cared about men, the only reason he granted the widow justice was because she kept nagging on him. he granted it to her only because she was annoying...he didn't love her in the least. with that said, we shouldn't have to worry at all whether or not God will answer our prayers because He actually loves us and will answer the prayers in time, because as I said before, He knows what we need before we even ask for it. so instead of praying about the same thing over and over again (which i'm not saying is absolutely wrong, because i even find myself doing it sometimes), we should be praying about EVERYTHING (philippians 4:6). as long as we bring everything by prayer, we can never go wrong. to me it seems like when you pray about the same thing over and over again, it shows a lack of faith.

dawn of light
11-29-2006, 08:49 AM
EDIT: Sorry, this turned out a lot lengthier than I originally intended...
to me it seems like when you pray about the same thing over and over again, it shows a lack of faith.
It depends on what kind of prayer you're praying. There are different kinds of prayer in the Bible, prayer of faith, agreement, intercesssion, etc.

The prayer of faith is used for asking (in faith) for something that God has already promised to you. For example, tithes. This is one of God's promises regarding tithes.

Malachi 3:10
Bring all the tithes into the storehouse,
That there may be food in My house,
And try Me now in this,”
Says the LORD of hosts,
If I will not open for you the windows of heaven
And pour out for you such blessing
That there will not be room enough to receive it.
The prayer of faith would say "God, this is what you promised me, when I tithe. Please bless me." Or something to that effect. And any subsequent prayers would thank God for the blessing that He promised. It would show a lack of faith in God's Word to continually ask God, "please bless me when I tithe" because He's already promised us that. For something He's already promised, I think asking more than once would show a lack of faith.

There are other things we pray for that God did not specifically promise to us. Prayer is not necessarily just asking God for something.

1 Thessalonians 3:10
And we continue to pray especially and with most intense earnestness night and day that we may see you face to face and mend and make good whatever may be imperfect and lacking in your faith.
1 Thessalonians 5:17
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
Romans 12:10-13
10 Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another; 11 not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; 12 rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer; 13 distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality.
Ephesians 6:18
18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints.
James 5:16
16Confess to one another therefore your faults (your slips, your false steps, your offenses, your sins) and pray [also] for one another, that you may be healed and restored [to a spiritual tone of mind and heart]. The earnest (heartfelt, continued) prayer of a righteous man makes tremendous power available [dynamic in its working].
All these verses clearly show that God asks for our continued prayers. I'll echo what most everyone has already said. Pray until something happens. When "something" happens, pray for something else.