Tanel
11-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Does anybody know what this song is talking about? I was asked that question on one Skillet community (in Orkut, a social network or some) that I own, so could someone please help me out?

neb0789
11-13-2006, 06:37 PM
gosh, i remember hearing it somewhere, i'll let you know if i remember

Crusader
11-13-2006, 07:13 PM
isnt it about like faliure and how he can never get to what he wants to?

zeroneff
11-14-2006, 05:06 AM
To me it's about how you need God in order to be successful

GuitarHero
11-14-2006, 05:50 PM
idk but that is one sweet song!

DarkestRose
11-15-2006, 06:01 AM
I believe the song is about try to do things (good deeds, being a better person, etc.) in our own works, but because we are all frail, at some point in time we are going to fall and we are going to fail. The song uses the imagery of one clawing so hard to climb up to this level of success, but they are still falling, with torn and bleeding fingernails, from the strain of trying to say up. The reason we all do this is because of pride, even though when we do things on our own we end up left feeling lonely, empty, afraid and stuck in failure. I think the point is that we just need to humble ourselves and call out to God in order to be filled, in order to change, in order to receive forgiveness and mercy and grace.

That's how I took it anyway.

theelectric3
12-01-2006, 12:55 PM
personal interpretation:

comparing yourself to what God says about you... in light of failures and not feeling good enough. feeling like a failure when looking over mistakes...

I'm so lost, lost and confused
I threw it all away
How can I be beautiful
When I am so afraid
--

I watched it all slip through my hands
My brokenness revealed
I'm so proud, I'm so proud
I'm crying to be filled
I'm killing, destroying the plague
That's killing me away
I've got to live, I've got to love
Like I am unafraid

but then in light of it, we can chose to kill what is killing. to decide by an act of our will to live out what we know is true... even when we are afraid.

perhaps this song is just the struggle of the two? the flesh (our vain attempts) and relying on Christ for strength, help and healing....

that's how i look at this song.

BarlowgIRL
12-01-2006, 06:17 PM
I remember a thread on this.... It's how we try to do things on our own but we can't. I'm sure if you search it here you'll find the thread with the direct John quote.

breakthesilence
12-01-2006, 07:30 PM
personal interpretation:

comparing yourself to what God says about you... in light of failures and not feeling good enough. feeling like a failure when looking over mistakes...

I'm so lost, lost and confused
I threw it all away
How can I be beautiful
When I am so afraid
--

I watched it all slip through my hands
My brokenness revealed
I'm so proud, I'm so proud
I'm crying to be filled
I'm killing, destroying the plague
That's killing me away
I've got to live, I've got to love
Like I am unafraid

but then in light of it, we can chose to kill what is killing. to decide by an act of our will to live out what we know is true... even when we are afraid.

perhaps this song is just the struggle of the two? the flesh (our vain attempts) and relying on Christ for strength, help and healing....

that's how i look at this song.

oh wow yeah that totally reminds me of something God has been teachin me lately... it is about how we can't do it on our own. God helps us. but... we make the choice that we are going to depend on God and not let the things that are killing us do so any longer. too many times i have just sat back and let the thoughts of worthlessness cycle through my head. but i need to choose to fight them by God's power and not let them take over me. i have to choose and act. Gideon.

aliensoul_squire20
12-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Yea, pretty much what i was gonna say was said by Electric3.

I remember reading that Skillet tried to get Fingernails on Spider-Man 2 (movie, or just soundtrack.... dont remember). After I saw the movie, i thought "Wow, Fingernails really woulda worked for this movie, because Spidey's struggling to be the perfect super-hero and do everything that is required ina normal life at the same time. Curse those people for turing Skillet down!" Yea, I know, run-on sentance.

DarkestRose
12-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Really? Spider-Man? I LOVE Spider-Man!