alienyouth9292
11-17-2006, 07:03 PM
i recently borrowed a full set of drums from my uncle. i have been playing on them some, and i have had a blast playing them. i am willing to practice alot to get good on them, so here it goes...for all you drum-playing-panheads, what are some tips for beginners? what should i do to get good and actually play in some sort of band?:-\

BarlowgIRL
11-17-2006, 07:12 PM
it depends on how you learn. If you can work slowly work on basics. Do single beats, sixteenth notes, etc until you have those mastered. Then work on just snare music. If you're like me jump right in and try to play a random song that you love just by listening to it.

skillet_head
11-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Play a long to some of your fave cds with like a discman, ipod, etc. Listen to the drum parts and try to play the exact thing. Also another thing to get good at is playing to a metronome. It defintely helps a lot. But have fun with it as well.

terrasin
11-18-2006, 07:39 AM
Count, keep counting in your head till you can do it subconsiously. This takes a while to learn to do. Keep at it.

1-2-3-4

CJ

alienyouth9292
11-18-2006, 04:05 PM
thanks for all the advice guys!!

Jesus freak_14
11-18-2006, 04:22 PM
oh yay!! i need the same help as ^ i like this thread :)
i just started playing drums a few months ago. i don't understand how you figure out the drum beats by listening to a song... it confuses me since there's so much going on.. it's hard to just listen to the drums
and i think i play pretty fast but my drum teacher won't teach me any songs or anythihng cuz he wants me to learn everything with the metronome .. so i've been taking lessons for 3 months and have only learned 1 beat from him
i had to teach myself a few of them
so... any advice?? :):):)

BarlowgIRL
11-19-2006, 01:26 PM
ignore the guy and figure out the songs at home! That's why I stopped taking drum lessons. But only if you cannot do the slow stuff. I can't do things slowly. But if you can you defintly need to get the basics first. As to picking out the drum in a song. Ask your teacher to help you pick them out first. Then you'll eventualy be able to do it yourself and will hear nothing but the drums.

alienyouth9292
11-19-2006, 01:44 PM
once i listen to a song i'm like "Well, this should be easy!!" and i start playing. i mimic most of the beats but there is always something going on that you cannot quite pickup....i guess i need to get an overall feel for everything.

BarlowgIRL
11-19-2006, 02:01 PM
basically the more you're involved the more you'll get it. Like since I've joined band I can't walk off step to music. Even if the music is in my head I'm walking in step to it.;)

unshakeable15
11-19-2006, 10:24 PM
ignore the guy and figure out the songs at home! That's why I stopped taking drum lessons. But only if you cannot do the slow stuff. I can't do things slowly. But if you can you defintly need to get the basics first. As to picking out the drum in a song. Ask your teacher to help you pick them out first. Then you'll eventualy be able to do it yourself and will hear nothing but the drums.
To go against what she says here, i would say keep at it. It's frustrating, but you can't jump to the fast stuff straight away without missing out on learning the basics. Sure, you could learn cool fills, but the best drummers know it isn't fills that make you good, it's being able to keep time when all else is going wrong, being able to adjust, being able to do the craziest fills with with the beat instead of around it. The only way to do that is by learning the very basics and growing from there.

But, yes, learn your favorite songs on your own, just don't make that your only method of teaching.

drumchick101
11-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Ya, I would definitly say that the basics help a lot. I learned by air drumming to my favortie stuff (really old reliant K) and then a mish mosh of trying it out on the drums. Then my church let me play for a few months, and then I took some basic lessons and they helped a lot.

However, besides all of that, the biggest way to get better is simply playing. Whenever you can, just get back there and play with your heart and feel the way that you are playing. Perhaps I think that way because I'm a girl...who knows?

The best drummer really are those who can take a simple beat and use it to keep the time when the guitar is doin some solo that he/she thinks sounds great, but they are the only one who thinks that ;). If you play a simple/slow beat really well, it does more than playing a complex beat on the "ok" side. I also think that drums carry the feeling and emotion of the song (along with the bass) but that's another can of worms.

Oh....one more thing (and then I'll be done, I promise) DYNAMICS (how loud or soft you play), never forget about DYNAMICS, it's what makes a drummer a drummer.

><sarah><

DustinRocks
11-28-2006, 07:57 PM
I played briefly and I sat with a metronome for days on days jut working with hi hat, kick and snare. Then I added ride. and played with out toms or a crash for 2 months. Then eventually I could do basic beats. I later added a floor tom and a crash. I keep it simple even now I only used 2 crashes, hats, ride, floor tom kick and snare. I havent played in 3 years tho.

alienyouth9292
11-29-2006, 04:10 PM
i've realized that i am no good at multi-tasking while playing. i can't do more than one simple beat at once or i'll screw up...does anyone have the same problem?

DustinRocks
11-30-2006, 06:27 PM
Well it takes time to play. I practiced in my room for a year or more before ever playing out with a band and I still had timing issues and missed cymbals and fills. It doesnt happen automatically. Maybe taking lessons and learning the basics would help you. Its not like one day you wake up and your an awesome drummer.

Edit: don't quit becuase like i said it doesnt happen over night.

brandon_p23
12-12-2006, 03:15 PM
i recently borrowed a full set of drums from my uncle. i have been playing on them some, and i have had a blast playing them. i am willing to practice alot to get good on them, so here it goes...for all you drum-playing-panheads, what are some tips for beginners? what should i do to get good and actually play in some sort of band?:-\

Well, my advice is to try and listen to CDs that you like and not just listen to them but analyze them also. Try to picture what the drummer is doing with the rest of the band. Is he or she just playing two and four on the snare and one and three on the bass or is he or she playing a complex odd-time pattern?
Or, the most simplest thing you can do is to grab a practice book for beguinner drummers and try the rudements first. Go simple, like the paradiddle, and start slow and gradually speed up. Then, just work your way up to the more complex rudements, like the flamacue and the six-stroke roll, and again start slow and gradually build up speed.
If you want, there is a website dedicated to us drummers, from beguinners to advanced. The website is http://www.drums.com/. Watch the videos and check out the drum patterns there. It will definetly help you become a good drummer.

Aaron Graves
12-14-2006, 06:46 PM
when your listening to the drums..
pick out each drum and just keep on addin on