Does anyone know much about

Dualism
Materialism
Idealism
Functionalism
or similar?

DarkestRose
11-30-2006, 11:32 PM
Idealism is the idea that things are only mental in nature, meaning that we can only know what is in our minds. So our reality is only composed of all our thoughts, feelings, perceptions, wills and ideas.

I believe materialism is the idea that reality is only what is tangible and made up of matter. So there is one physical reality and that's it. It's sort of the opposite of idealism.

I don't know much about dualism, but I think it is supposed to be idea of two forced in the world against each other (e.g. good vs. evil). It's probably more complex than that, but that's about as much as I get it.

I never heard of functionalism before.

I guess all these things have in common is how one perceives what is reality. Kind of a philosophical kind of thing.

NightCrawler
12-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Idealism is the idea that things are only mental in nature, meaning that we can only know what is in our minds. So our reality is only composed of all our thoughts, feelings, perceptions, wills and ideas.
One supporter claimed that what it means to exist is 'to be perceived.'

Fundamental requirement of such a belief is that God perceives everything that exists at all times.

I believe materialism is the idea that reality is only what is tangible and made up of matter. So there is one physical reality and that's it. It's sort of the opposite of idealism.
Yes, and that the mind itself is completely ONLY matter. Such that all brain events and processes are actually material. (thoughts may or may not take up space, or the chemicals which channel them do, etc.)

I don't know much about dualism, but I think it is supposed to be idea of two forced in the world against each other (e.g. good vs. evil). It's probably more complex than that, but that's about as much as I get it.
Well, in the realm of the Philosophy of the Mind, dualism is to mean that mind is non-material, and the body is material. That is, we have two parts to our being.

I never heard of functionalism before.
Anything that performs the activities of [this] is essentially the same as [that]. We have brains, computers have harddrives and motherboards, cars have chipsets and such, etc. Each one is technically the 'brain' of each, respectively.

Heard someone call the engine the "heart of the car"?

I guess all these things have in common is how one perceives what is reality. Kind of a philosophical kind of thing.
Very heavily on reality, and especially on the function/nature/purpose of the mind.

NightCrawler
12-01-2006, 05:57 PM
The purpose of this thread is to stimulate some discussion about why one ought to believe Materialism or Dualism, etc. over others.