jesusfreak0629
01-12-2007, 07:44 AM
MLK day is coming up. Props go out to a great man/leader. I am sure most of you know Dr. MLK was a Baptist Minister as well. Would he have been half the man he was without Christ? Which brings me to my main point. It is ok to celebrate the birthdays of important men, but wasn't Jesus' birthday important? Hasn't Jesus touched more lives and changed entire nations, moreso than Dr. MLK ever did or will? And yet a man's life is celebrated this Monday, while the holiday that just passed has been turned into just that, a gift giving "Holiday". It is kinda sad when you think about the reality of it.

alorian
01-12-2007, 08:07 AM
We weren't instructed to celebrate Christmas at all though as a holiday, tradition, or anything like that, were we?

That's a statement, not a question ;)

Tromos
01-12-2007, 08:20 AM
So we should scrap the celebrations of the birthdays of people that have been inspirational because you feel Jesus didn't get enough focus at Christmas?

Hmmm... dunno about that. All political arguments and PC-speak aside, Christmas Day (not some random day during Hannukah or Kwanzaa - whenever that is) was still the one day when all banks, all government offices, almost all private offices, heck even WalMart was closed. There were parades. There were celebrations. Families got together and ate too much. More people went to church than any other day of the year (including Easter - but we won't go there).

Do you see that for MLK day? You think WalMart is gonna be closed Monday? Not a chance.

I'm not happy about the sin-first nature of the American society, but to claim that the American public gives more weight to MLK day than to Christmas Day is preposterous. Various ethnic and religious groups may object to a Jesus-focus on Christmas, but I guarantee that the vast majority of Muslim, atheist, and Californian people took the day off as a holiday.

jesusfreak0629
01-12-2007, 10:11 AM
So we should scrap the celebrations of the birthdays of people that have been inspirational because you feel Jesus didn't get enough focus at Christmas?

Hmmm... dunno about that. All political arguments and PC-speak aside, Christmas Day (not some random day during Hannukah or Kwanzaa - whenever that is) was still the one day when all banks, all government offices, almost all private offices, heck even WalMart was closed. There were parades. There were celebrations. Families got together and ate too much. More people went to church than any other day of the year (including Easter - but we won't go there).

Do you see that for MLK day? You think WalMart is gonna be closed Monday? Not a chance.

I'm not happy about the sin-first nature of the American society, but to claim that the American public gives more weight to MLK day than to Christmas Day is preposterous. Various ethnic and religious groups may object to a Jesus-focus on Christmas, but I guarantee that the vast majority of Muslim, atheist, and Californian people took the day off as a holiday.

Uhh, I think you must have misunderstood. I didn't say anything about scrapping all other holidays. The American public gives more weight to MLK day than Christmas for what it is though. If you can't see that, you have your eyes closed.

The only thing you put in your post about Christmas that even has any relevance to Jesus Christ is going to church on Christmas. And everyone here knows that just going to church is nothing special anymore, especially the way the religious society is now. All of that other stuff that you put in your post is what Christmas has become, nothing but a holiday/party get-together where people exchange gifts and rack up hundreds of dollars in debt, if not thousands.

And if I am not mistaken, quite a bit of institutions close for MLK day, such as government agencies at the state and county level, all schools, all banks (to my knowledge).

And, MLK day is celebrated for what it is; the birthday of a good man. Christmas, which started out as the birthday of the greatest of all men, has been morphed into a celebration or holiday.

alorian
01-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Christmas didn't begin as a celebration of Christ's birth. It was a cover-up by the Catholic church.

skynes
01-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Christmas didn't begin as a celebration of Christ's birth. It was a cover-up by the Catholic church.

What were they covering?

*gasp* SANTAS RED COAT!!! ITS THE BLOOD OF THE INNOCENT! Lol.

Who's MLK?

the only someone's day we have is St Patricks day. Meaning of that has been looong lost, its an excuse to go out and get drunk off your face.

DarkestRose
01-12-2007, 10:58 AM
MLK is Dr. Martin Luther King jr.

skynes
01-12-2007, 12:13 PM
MLK is Dr. Martin Luther King jr.

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up.

lamb_servant72
01-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Every town I've ever lived in has a Martin Luther King Blvd. I don't think I've ever seen a Jesus St.

theelectric3
01-12-2007, 12:46 PM
everyday we have the opportunity to celebrate the birth of Jesus. in the way we live, etc.

terrasin
01-12-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm a bit confused about this topic. Why is it such a big deal to you that we have Martin Luther King day? I didn't even know it was this week until I heard the banks were closed. It's not like it's a huge Holiday. The only reason the banks close and the mail isn't delivered is because he was a very important figure in American history.

This falls into the "not everyone believes what you believe" category. It's the same with beliefs on other government issues that we've discussed here in the past. We can sit here forever discussing what we believe and why things should be different, but the government doesn't care what you believe, they care about justice and what is best for their country without being bias to one religion or another.

CJ

alienyouth9292
01-12-2007, 02:11 PM
martin luther king was a great man, but by no means a 100% God-glorifying saint...

Tromos
01-12-2007, 05:24 PM

A bit of an over-simplification, dontcha think? ::]

The Church (since there was only one church at the time) took an existing mid-winter holiday celebrated by the peasantry and re-labeled it to celebrate the birth of Jesus. Was Jesus born on the evening of December 25, 0000? Not likely. But since they really don't know and they were attempting to swing the peasantry from the worship of the paganistic druidic deities, it was as good an excuse as any.

Regardless, it is a celebration of the birth of Jesus. It doesn't really matter when we celebrate it.

Uhh, I think you must have misunderstood. I didn't say anything about scrapping all other holidays. The American public gives more weight to MLK day than Christmas for what it is though.

As I re-read your original post, I admit that I didn't read it carefully enough and I agree with the basic premise of your post. But I encourage you to not get too caught up in your drama about the decline of Christmas. The holiday does still happen on Christmas Day. We've still at least maintained the history of the holiday. They still show the Charlie Brown Christmas special every year and still let Linus read from the book of Luke. It's not much, but hope is a cardinal virtue and I'd like to think that not all hope is lost.

If you can't see that, you have your eyes closed.

In the spirit of Christian kinship, I'll let that one pass ;)

Isildur9473
01-13-2007, 12:36 AM
Don't you have anything better to do than nitpick the federal government since they don't glorify Jesus Christ enough?

terrasin
01-13-2007, 05:19 AM
martin luther king was a great man, but by no means a 100% God-glorifying saint...

No one is. :\

CJ

alienyouth9292
01-13-2007, 07:56 AM
No one is. :\

CJ

i know that...i just don't like it when people seem to worship him like he was a god....:-\

terrasin
01-13-2007, 10:02 AM
i know that...i just don't like it when people seem to worship him like he was a god....:-\

Worship him like a god? Where on earth did you see people worshiping him like a god? I think you're reading way too much into it.

When I have business meetings and conferences, he is often brought up because his work and his speeches were very inspirational. But in no way do we worship him like a god.

CJ

skilltroks
01-13-2007, 11:41 AM
You are making it sound like we should only think of God out of one day of the year, make a holiday just so we can praise God. God is important...we should think of him everyday of our lives.

Quadripedman
01-13-2007, 07:43 PM

Ya know, honestly, it is "CHRISTmas," not "Mas," and its THE FLIPPING BIRTHDAY OF JESUS CHRIST!!! of corse the will be a focus on Jesus!!! its like saying, "oh, were going to focus on Lary over here, instead of you on your birthday, because we think that your stupid," on your birthday. it makes no sence!

[QUOTE=jesusfreak0629;322777].

And if I am not mistaken, quite a bit of institutions close for MLK day, such as government agencies at the state and county level, all schools, all banks (to my knowledge).

QUOTE]

no, i have never in 8 years of school gotten mlk day off, and this year is the first year the my friend from another school has gotten it off

skilltroks
01-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Believe or not there are people living in USofA that are not Christian. Christmas to them...is not about Jesus. It's about getting stuff or in some cases just another day--a day off of work/school. Also, many people are uneducated about Jesus. (There is a difference between non educated and being dumb about something.)
Also, every public school in Greater GR has the day off of school to honor MLK. However, my ignorant Christian High school does not. (I have come to the conclusion that public schools are government run/ran. It costs alot to keep them open--therefore they close them during minor holidays in order to keep the cost down. Don't quote me on that.)

DarkestRose
01-14-2007, 12:45 PM
So are we thinking about having a Jesus holiday as, like a witnessing thing? Telling people about Jesus to prepare for the day in the same manner than people hear about MLK?

TheFireBreathes
01-14-2007, 03:11 PM
MLK day is coming up. Props go out to a great man/leader. I am sure most of you know Dr. MLK was a Baptist Minister as well. Would he have been half the man he was without Christ? Which brings me to my main point. It is ok to celebrate the birthdays of important men, but wasn't Jesus' birthday important? Hasn't Jesus touched more lives and changed entire nations, moreso than Dr. MLK ever did or will? And yet a man's life is celebrated this Monday, while the holiday that just passed has been turned into just that, a gift giving "Holiday". It is kinda sad when you think about the reality of it.

Gift giving symbolizes everything He gave us dying on the cross...

riz
01-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Oh my goodness. Everyone please read this:

everyday we have the opportunity to celebrate the birth of Jesus. in the way we live, etc.

There should be no debate if you take the above statement by Tracy as truth. Honestly.

And, just to let you know, Quadripedman, Christmas isn't the actual birthday of Christ; it's only a date set aside to *observe* his birth. But, as stated, before, why don't we just do this every day instead of freaking out that great man received one day so that we can remember his legacy? It's one day.

Quadripedman
01-15-2007, 01:00 PM
well, that takes the flame out of my ranting :(

kittygirl
01-15-2007, 01:06 PM
This is slightly off topic, but some priests & historians have been studying the actual date of his birth, and they're leaning toward September 29th.

DarkestRose
01-15-2007, 02:50 PM
This is slightly off topic, but some priests & historians have been studying the actual date of his birth, and they're leaning toward September 29th.

Really? I thought it might be in spring because of the grazing sheep.

kittygirl
01-15-2007, 05:04 PM
well, I'm not sure, but I think that the Middle East (where Jesus was born) stays warm longer than most of the U.S. does.

DarkestRose
01-15-2007, 05:21 PM
I was thinking maybe so. I don't know how grazing would go in September since I've never been in the Middle East to tell. The September date could be possible.

terrasin
01-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Last I heard, it was April or May because of the star positioning at the time. *shrugs* It matters not to me either way.

CJ

NightCrawler
01-16-2007, 08:05 AM
I was holding off reading this thread simply because I thought it would contain exactly what it does.

We celebrate Lincoln and Washington's birthdays, they were important historical figures. MLKjr was not a president, but he did more for civil rights than a lot of presidents. Now, apparently America wants to celebrate this.

I don't really care. My mail is late and I got a day off of school. I'll get over it.

He isn't a god, no one is treating him like one. Enjoy your day off if you got one, move on.

DarkestRose
01-16-2007, 08:22 AM
I never took MLK day too seriously. I mean, I honestly appreciate all of his civil rights work, but that is all something I would feel more for if I were studying it on my own. I'm a casual MLK fan, but I don't get super-excited or excited at all when this day comes around.