skynes
01-15-2007, 09:35 AM
What does scripture say about Worship? How does God want to be worshipped? What does the Bible teach on forms of Worship?

(I'm putting this here and not in Mars Hill because I intend this to be about what the Bible says, not what we individually say)

weebird20
01-17-2007, 09:05 AM
Thought it might be good to look at the true meaning of worship…as our meaning today may be totally different from the original meaning of the word “worship” used in the Bible…

Since i'm not so good with Greek and Hebrew...the following definitions of the word worship are taken from http://www.christianlibrary.org/authors/Grady_Scott/meaningofworship.htm

1. The primary Hebrew word for worship.
a. Shachah - "to depress, i.e. prostrate (in homage to royalty or God): bow (self) down, crouch, fall down (flat), humbly beseech, do (make) obeisance, do reverence, make to stoop, worship."

2. Three Greek words.
a. Proskuneo - "meaning to kiss, like a dog licking his master's hand), to fawn or crouch to, homage (do reverence to, adore): worship." It occurs 59 times in the New Testament. It originally carried with it the idea of subjects falling down to kiss the ground before a king or kiss their feet.
b. Sebomai - "to reverence, hold in awe." Used 10 times in the New Testament.
c. Latreuo - "to render religious service of homage." Used 21 times in the New Testament.

3. The word in the English language.
a. Literally means to ascribe worth to something.

From searching my Bible for the passages and verses that talk about worship nowhere does it mention that worship means singing to God...i normally hear Christians talking about having a worship time in church...referring to the time they spend singing...but if you look at what the Bible says...worship seems to mean an act which brings glory to God...something which isn't for our benefit...something soley for God...when we are only thinking about Him...

So when i think about it...we all all selfish by nature...how do we achieve the act of worship?

---------------------------
Edit: (oh this is me thinking...sorry Scott...you said you didn't want what we thought about it....but i promise to post some verses later when i have more time to compare them)
---------------------------

Usually when worshiping God we are looking for a feeling that indicates that we are worshiping Him correctly...that in itself can't be proper worship cus we are looking at how WE feel...and how the time of worship to God is making US feel...it's supposed to be us giving Him all the glory and praise...

Ok im probably going all off topic now...so i'm gona stop here...but im gona look into this some more...get some verses up here next...

terrasin
01-17-2007, 10:04 PM
There is an excellent book that was never added to the Bible that discusses how to worship, and actually, most traditional churches are right on with what the book says. There are a few reasons the book wasn't added, however, it wasn't because they felt it was false. It just didn't meet the requirements they had setup at Nicea.

I'll have to ask my pastor which book that was. He said it was a very good read if you are interested in seeing how should worship. I've just not gotten around to it yet.

CJ

skynes
01-18-2007, 02:51 AM
I would be interested in knowing what that book was!

Spiffles
01-18-2007, 03:20 PM
What i really hate is when people say or act like worship is just singing songs to God.. Thats only one part of worship.

Worship is the act of submission to God in everything we do.
Pslam 95: 6-7
"Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker;
For he is our God and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care."

Bowing down, is an act of submission. It is saying, "you have control over my life, my life is yours"

theelectric3
01-18-2007, 03:34 PM
wanting scripture... does this mean i can quote all of psalms and revelation? ;) heh.

those two books speak so much on worship.... it's awesome.Psalm 22:3
"But You are holy, Enthroned in the praises of Israel [His people]."

Psalm 34: 1
"I will bless the Lord at all times;
His praise shall continually be in my mouth."

how can His praise always be in our mouths - a thankful heart (one who remembers the Lord).

Psalm 34:3
"Oh, magnify the Lord with me;
And let us exalt His name together."

magnify = increase in size, volume or significance.

increasing His significance in our life. God doesn't change, but how we view Him does when we make Him the most important in our life.

Psalm 40

i could go on and on and on in the Psalms. it is beautiful and honest.

in the book of Revelation, worship procedes action. showing the warfare element of worship.

kybz
01-20-2007, 05:21 AM
What is worship?

It is an act of sacrifice to our Lord, an outlaying of our heart and soul to Him, a total trust in Faith. Gen 22:5 - Abraham takes his son to worship through sacrifice knowing that sacrifice was going to be his son.

As Spiffles said, it is an act of reverance and honour. Psalm 95:6, Matt 2:2,8&11.

It is an act done in truth and honesty. An open heart and a willingness of the Spirit without insincerity or falsehood. John 4:6&7.

It is an act of Faith and conviction in our God, devoid of others. It is an act of belief in his word and resurrection. Acts 24:14

As for me worship is a total giving of my spirit, both in song and out of it. It is a conscious decision to open myself to the Holy Spirit, allowing Him to fill me and take over. It encompasses all that I have placed above; in sacrifice, truth, faith, belief, reverance and honour.

I hope this has shed a little understanding.

skynes
01-30-2007, 10:15 AM
There is something that arose in my mind, not sure of the source just yet but I am praying about it and seeknig scriptural support before I advance on it... I will speak this idea as a fact rather than say 'I think' because it's easier for me to get my thoughts out that way, but everything after this paragraph is what I have thought and I need to pray on more so it should be taken as such. Comments welcome.

The idea is that worship is little different from the requirements of a friend.

Time and Effort.

Building a friendship requires a dedication of time and a focus of effort. It is something that needs to be wanted, seeked after and focused upon.

For a while I wondered what to call my desire to know Truth. Not as the church calls truth, but what the Bible REALLY says. What God really says.

It's Worship. My desire is to know about God, what He wants and what He thinks. I spend time and energy learning. (I suck at applying what I learn, though I try).

So in my search for Truth, my studying and learning, I've been worshipping without intending it as worship. It is Worship because I have been giving glory to God by seeking His Will, seeking His Truth and wanting to know Him more as a result.

It's odd, yet expected, that I didn't think this until AFTER I started praying for God to show me how to worship Him and how to know Him more.

kybz
01-31-2007, 02:18 AM
Yes, exactly Skynes!

Getting to know Gods desire, delving deeper into His Word, spending time with Him -it's all an act of worship. As I noted earlier doing any of the aforementioned acts is part of the reverance and honour element of worship.

Taking the time to be His friend and let Him be yours, taking the time to find out the Truth - Gods Truth, is all an act of sacrifice on your part - again as I mention ealier.

Worship can, and is, so many different things in our lives, even in the lives of the Disciple they worshipped God in many ways, not only in song.

By simply believing we are worshipping Him...

Awesome thought isn't it? ;D

Unregistered
03-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Worship is when we as His people pour out of ourselves and allow Him to pour His spirit into us to accomplish His will on the earth...it's a laying down of ourselves and our agenda and picking up His..presenting our bodies to Him as Holy vessels for Him to show forth His glory.

Kaio4Christ
07-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Read the book of pslams, also read the life of david.. it shows what worship is.... for example, when david was dancing like a madman in the streets and one of his wives said "what are you doing? You are the king and you are dancing like a fool.." Davids response was " I don`t care what they think I am dancing in praise of my Lord." In the book of Pslams and proverbs {I think Proverbs} it explains alot of lifting your hands to the Lord, playing an instrument, singing, and dancing in Praise and worship to God. I hope this helped.

P.S: I free quoted those veruses didn`t have my bible on me when I answered this hehe..