alienyouth9292
01-17-2007, 01:10 PM
RICHMOND, Va. (Jan. 16) - A state legislator said black people "should get over" slavery and questioned whether Jews should apologize "for killing Christ," drawing denunciations Tuesday from stunned colleagues.

Del. Frank D. Hargrove, 79, made his remarks in opposition to a measure that would apologize on the state's behalf to the descendants of slaves.

In an interview published Tuesday in The Daily Progress of Charlottesville, Hargrove said slavery ended nearly 140 years ago with the Civil War and added that "our black citizens should get over it."

The newspaper also quoted him as saying, "are we going to force the Jews to apologize for killing Christ?"

"When somebody tells me I should just get over slavery, I can only express my emotion by projecting that I am appalled, absolutely appalled," said Del. Dwight C. Jones, head of the Legislative Black Caucus.

what do yall think about this??????? ???

alienyouth9292
01-17-2007, 01:20 PM
i am white, but not a racist by any means. i believe that all men are created equally.....that the color of your skin should mean nothing. but i can't stand it when blacks cry about slavery and demand things from white people who have not engaged in slavery. yes, it was a horrible thing, but face it: it is over. that time period is over 150 years old. blacks do need to get over it, and quit using it as a "built in excuse" for current issues in their lives.....

timmyrotter
01-17-2007, 01:21 PM
AMEN, they should get over slavery, no one is still alive from pre-civil times, so it doesnt affect them directly.

kittygirl
01-17-2007, 01:35 PM
...or receiving payments for their great-great (and so on and so forth) grandparents hard labor.
Some people are actually asking for state payments for being black.

alienyouth9292
01-17-2007, 01:36 PM
lol. what jerks.....

DarkestRose
01-17-2007, 02:20 PM
I’ve heard arguments for reparations for slavery before. Some of them state that, had freed slaves been allowed to possess and keep profits for all the work they did, their present-day descendents might have a higher social and monetary wealth. They state that freed slaves did not get these profits and were stripped of what the compensation given to them during the Reconstruction. Whereas, some people are born into a wealth derived by slavery. So they think that reparations would even out the economic structure.

Now, I think this would be very hard to do because not all white people owned slaves nor profited from slavery. I don’t know if my ancestors did or not. I doubt that we would be tracing the genealogy of all the American people more than reversing discrimination and taxing people for being white. How is the government going to know if they are taxing the descends of a white slave-owner or a white abolitionist? Also, it is hard to speculate that, if slaves were paid, how much that would add up to today. It would be based upon theorizing and speculation. Also, they are better off than if their ancestors had been left in Africa. If that had been done, they would be significantly poorer. Also, what would we do for someone who is half-black and half-white? Give them half as much? Now I don't know if they are jerks. They could really believe that the excuses given the in the first paragraph. I don't know.

So I don’t know how well that would work out in the long run. Now, what is it that the African-Americans want a formal apology from the US government that if the first post is talking about? Or just a frustration that people still use past evils as an outcry about the victimization of their race?

terrasin
01-17-2007, 03:13 PM
I totally agree with what the guy said. I find that the biggest racists are the ones who constantly cry racist...

CJ

eowyn
01-17-2007, 05:28 PM
Just to mention something.. perhaps play devil's advocate. Just because slavery "offically" ended 150+ years ago, doesn't mean that mistreatement of the african american population ended. Jim Crow Laws are only a few decades removed.

Certainly, African Americans had "freedom" perse. However, how free were they truly? They had inferior education, could be hung, raped, or murdered without any mention of the atrocities by the authorities or any members of the community, were stripped of the right to vote through poll taxes and "tests".

Oh yes, to be free is great. And I am not necessarily in support of reparation payments.. because if that were the case, than I think the Native Americans, Chinese, and Japanese Americans are also in order. But, the quality of life after freedom, could hardly be considered true freedom.

What is true freedom?
Freedom to receive the same education regardless of gender or ethnicity.
Freedom to vote without needless "test" or payment.
Freedom to marry the man or woman of your choice, regardless of ethnicity without social repercussions.
Freedom to speak your mind without fear that men will come and burn your house or hurt your family.
Freedom to have your injustices persecuted in our courts of law.
Freedom to persue high ranking government and business positions.

Certainly.. our true and entire freedom is based in Christ our Lord, but I find it absolutely absurd to state that the freedom the slaves received was tantamount to simply writing off the pain that African Americans, Japanese Americans, Chinese Americans, Native Americans, and even Hispanic Americans have suffer and do suffer. Certainly the pain that they suffer now is not the severity of slavery. But, when Dr. King marched, he was marching, in my opinion, to finish the job that Abraham Lincoln left off, freeing the African American population.

alienyouth9292
01-17-2007, 06:53 PM
"okay, lets just pay back all the poor blacks for the wrongs we did them....in fact, lets have a national Free African- American Day Parade!!!!"

if America is willing to pay these money-worshipping gangsters cash for their so called "slave ancestors", we are becoming weak....

to finish, if these people want to get recognition and status so bad, they can hop on a boat back to Africa where their tribal chiefs sold them to America 150 years ago.

riz
01-17-2007, 07:19 PM
I do find it a bit extreme that some people are still using "slavery" as the motive for reparations instead of segregation, lynching, and what-have-you that happened only a few decades ago. These more recent incidents of cruelty and hatred definitely still run sore and deep.

Believe it or not, even after slavery, even after the horrible moments of segregation in the 20th century, there is still racism rampant in the United States. I just was a second-hand witness to harsh and cruel words on Monday. There, sadly enough, will always be mistreatment everywhere. And the irritation I've read here about how "whites are always the victim" doesn't really help out things.

eowyn
01-17-2007, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE=alienyouth9292;323867]"okay, lets just pay back all the poor blacks for the wrongs we did them....in fact, lets have a national Free African- American Day Parade!!!!"

if America is willing to pay these money-worshipping gangsters cash for their so called "slave ancestors", we are becoming weak....

to finish, if these people want to get recognition and status so bad, they can hop on a boat back to Africa where their tribal chiefs sold them to America 150 years ago.[/QUOTE)

Jesse-

Please take a moment and consider your tone. Particularly on Mars Hill, it is especially important to avoid sarcasm and blantant overgeneralizations. We're here to dicuss this issue. I am NOT attacking your position. But, some of these generalizations are offensive.

Certainly, I think that paying reparations is a rather extreme measure that should be left to state determination; as I stated in my previous post, it would ignite a firestorm of other reparation statements, which however justified that I feel they are, are most likely unrealistic.

As far as a "Free African Americans" parade. I believe that that is celebrated on MLK day, which was in fact only several days past.

"Money worshipping gansters"? That is a media stereotype promoted by MTV, VH1 and other media outlets because it is more comfortable to continue to place African Americans in a social group such as "those gansters" than pastors, husbands, wives, nurses, doctors, school instructors, business men and women, fire fighters, officers of the law, attorneys, etc. Certainly, I believe that this stereotype is harmful because it objectifies women; however, certainly few of the African American population ascribe to said ganster feelings. Also, consider the vast number of Cacausion men AND women who listen to "gangster" or hip-hop/rap music.

I am NOT promoting reparation payments or continous tip-toeing around the general African American population for fear that we might remind them of slavery past. BUT, we must consider the generations of Americans who have been the victims of racial hatred. Consistantly, we must recognize that this is not only an American issue.

Citizens in Antigua, W.I. refuse to grow their own food because of the memories of being forced to work the plantations for the British. Therefore, they import all food from other islands, contributing the extremely high cost of food.

riz
01-17-2007, 07:27 PM
I am NOT promoting reparation payments or continous tip-toeing around the general African American population for fear that we might remind them of slavery past. BUT, we must consider the generations of Americans who have been the victims of racial hatred. Consistantly, we must recognize that this is not only an American issue.

Thank you!!

terrasin
01-17-2007, 09:48 PM
As far as a "Free African Americans" parade. I believe that that is celebrated on MLK day, which was in fact only several days past.
Ok, how about Black History Month... a whole month we dedicated to African-Americans because we were afraid of being called racist because of actions our ancestors took against them 150+ years ago.

"Money worshipping gansters"? That is a media stereotype promoted by MTV, VH1 and other media outlets because it is more comfortable to continue to place African Americans in a social group such as "those gansters" than pastors, husbands, wives, nurses, doctors, school instructors, business men and women, fire fighters, officers of the law, attorneys, etc. Certainly, I believe that this stereotype is harmful because it objectifies women; however, certainly few of the African American population ascribe to said ganster feelings. Also, consider the vast number of Cacausion men AND women who listen to "gangster" or hip-hop/rap music./[quote]
You're right, money worshiping gangsters is a little off. I prefer "whining crybabies who want to blame all their problems on something that has had no physical, spiritual, or mental effect on their generation at all". Face it, whenever an African-American hits a road block in their life, suddenly all white people are racists and we persecute them just like their ancestors. Complete hogwash.

[quote]I am NOT promoting reparation payments or continous tip-toeing around the general African American population for fear that we might remind them of slavery past. BUT, we must consider the generations of Americans who have been the victims of racial hatred. Consistantly, we must recognize that this is not only an American issue.
Yah, and the majority of those people are long gone. In fact, slavery has been no part of any living African-American from any living generation in existence today. Moreso, how about the racial hatred against whites?

Citizens in Antigua, W.I. refuse to grow their own food because of the memories of being forced to work the plantations for the British. Therefore, they import all food from other islands, contributing the extremely high cost of food.
Again, sounds to me like another episode of "we need something to whine about so we will whine about something that has had zero effect on our lives".

Lets face it, our problems are always someone else's fault. I am no racist by any means, but this is one subject I put my foot down because of the sheer ridiculousness surrounding the topic. Look at statistics, whites are no long the majority in this country. We're a divided nation between Whites, Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, and several other races. Another good example of racism at it's finest, in Fresno, Ca, my wife couldn't get a scholarship because she is white. All the scholarships were held for people of different races.

This is one more thing to add to the addition of our country failing. We are not united, we are divided. And it's things like this that keep the division between us until people learn to let go of their bias attitudes and realize that no one is "out to get them" and that we are in fact, all equal.

CJ

skynes
01-18-2007, 02:48 AM
We have the same situation in N Ireland, although it's not about blacks n whites, it's about Protestants and Catholics. But the same old story applies, Prods have been persecuting the poor Catholic Republican people for years... so the Catholics can walk into any job, any school any university. If they don't get it? Cry sectarianism... Wins every time.

For most people, racism isn't an issue any more... The only people who make it an issue are those who used to be subject to it!

Freedom to receive the same education regardless of gender or ethnicity.
Freedom to vote without needless "test" or payment.
Freedom to marry the man or woman of your choice, regardless of ethnicity without social repercussions.
Freedom to speak your mind without fear that men will come and burn your house or hurt your family.
Freedom to have your injustices persecuted in our courts of law.
Freedom to persue high ranking government and business positions.

Obviously not any Western country then...

alienyouth9292
01-18-2007, 05:06 AM
i know someone who tried out for a job and looked like they were gonna make it until a black guy came and tried out. the black guy was not as good at the job, but threatened to sue on racism if he was turned down, so the manager gave him the job instead.

this is what makes me mad......and by the way, when i said "money-worshipping gansters", i was referring to the people who would probably want money from the government. to me, it sounds like a ganster would demand cash rather than a black pastor.....

asparagus
01-18-2007, 09:09 AM
i know someone who tried out for a job and looked like they were gonna make it until a black guy came and tried out. the black guy was not as good at the job, but threatened to sue on racism if he was turned down, so the manager gave him the job instead.

this is what makes me mad......and by the way, when i said "money-worshipping gansters", i was referring to the people who would probably want money from the government. to me, it sounds like a ganster would demand cash rather than a black pastor.....

Jessie,
1. How does your friend know that they were going to get the job? 2. How do they know that the "black guy" was less qualified than them? 3. How do they know that he threatened to sue because of racism. 4. How do they know the manager's reasons for hiring this person.

We should be careful not to wrap our experiences into our current paradigm, but instead open up our paradigm to events that don't always fit so neatly inside of it.

Best wishes,
Alex

alienyouth9292
01-18-2007, 09:28 AM
.......whatever

and its j-e-s-s-e.

riz
01-18-2007, 11:54 AM
The only people who make it an issue are those who used to be subject to it!

I beg to differ.

riz
01-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Want proof, here we go. Two recent cases:

First one in Florida. A friend of mine has a friend who went into teaching and started her first day at school. Mind you, she's African American. As she enters into the classroom, one of the students calls out - loudly, upon first view - "Awwww, shoot, a (n-word)."

And then recently at my work on MLK Day, there's this table with a family and the father asks his daughter why she wasn't in school today. She tells him it is because it's MLK Day. And then he goes, real loud, for the entire restaurant to hear, "Are you kidding me? You didn't have school because of that (effing) (n-word)?"

Yeah, racism isn't a problem anymore. At least we haven't had any reports of lynching in the Cleveland area recently.

eowyn
01-18-2007, 01:58 PM
Want proof, here we go. Two recent cases:

First one in Florida. A friend of mine has a friend who went into teaching and started her first day at school. Mind you, she's African American. As she enters into the classroom, one of the students calls out - loudly, upon first view - "Awwww, shoot, a (n-word)."

And then recently at my work on MLK Day, there's this table with a family and the father asks his daughter why she wasn't in school today. She tells him it is because it's MLK Day. And then he goes, real loud, for the entire restaurant to hear, "Are you kidding me? You didn't have school because of that (effing) (n-word)?"

Yeah, racism isn't a problem anymore. At least we haven't had any reports of lynching in the Cleveland area recently.

Exactly.

My friend went to dinner at a Denny's recently with her African American father and the manager came and asked them to sit in the back of the resturante so that they didn't "bother" the other customers.

eowyn
01-18-2007, 02:00 PM
.......whatever

and its j-e-s-s-e.

Jesse-

Just a suggestion, but this is just a discussion. Whatever's are less than desirable. If you disagree, you are free to express that disagreement...

RougeLeader
01-18-2007, 02:06 PM
AMEN to that Sam

eowyn
01-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Ok, how about Black History Month... a whole month we dedicated to African-Americans because we were afraid of being called racist because of actions our ancestors took against them 150+ years ago.

I'll avoid this one, to avoid being repeative.. since I believe we've had this dicussion.

You're right, money worshiping gangsters is a little off. I prefer "whining crybabies who want to blame all their problems on something that has had no physical, spiritual, or mental effect on their generation at all". Face it, whenever an African-American hits a road block in their life, suddenly all white people are racists and we persecute them just like their ancestors. Complete hogwash.

But, you could argue that is more to do with human nature.. and our tendancy to want a scapegoat, whether it be our parents, our education, etc. Alot of this individuals were raised by parents who experienced discrimination, racism, etc. and thus, they feel a duty to right wrongs. Slavery is something that becomes ingrained into generations, whether or not that generation is enslaved. Slavery in a different sense continued throughout the sixties AND seventies, as far as differences in education, etc. It becomes passed down as a heritage, is what I'm trying to explain.. should they receive payments... unlikely.. is this worth discussion? Definately, because racism, even though, Caucasions are now the minority in the United States is worth discussion.

Yah, and the majority of those people are long gone. In fact, slavery has been no part of any living African-American from any living generation in existence today. Moreso, how about the racial hatred against whites?

I won't argue the disparity between what is acceptable socially pertaining to racism in the fact that African Americans call themselves *N* and oftentimes, whites are referred to as "crackers." In my mind, it is not right. But, we can't hold up our few instances of racial hatred and claim that we are on equal footing to the mistreatment of African Americans, Hispanic Americans, etc. etc. that continues on no matter population percentage.

Again, sounds to me like another episode of "we need something to whine about so we will whine about something that has had zero effect on our lives".

Antigua was a colony of the British until the late '60s. Whining? Hardly. The poverty in that country is tremendous. But, the experiences of slavery, of mistreatment, leads them, poor as they are, to import goods from other islands rather than work in the agrigarian culture (although this is not everyone). But, then how many of us Caucasions stoop to participate in the agrarian lifestyle?

Lets face it, our problems are always someone else's fault. I am no racist by any means, but this is one subject I put my foot down because of the sheer ridiculousness surrounding the topic. Look at statistics, whites are no long the majority in this country. We're a divided nation between Whites, Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, and several other races. Another good example of racism at it's finest, in Fresno, Ca, my wife couldn't get a scholarship because she is white. All the scholarships were held for people of different races.

Two thoughts here, first about Caucasions as a minority. Then, shouldn't we be more willing to, say for instance, learn another language?

What about academic scholarships? Or community merit scholarships? I find it doubtful that a school in a large city as Fresno would have such a limited scope of scholarship opportunities.

This is one more thing to add to the addition of our country failing. We are not united, we are divided. And it's things like this that keep the division between us until people learn to let go of their bias attitudes and realize that no one is "out to get them" and that we are in fact, all equal.

CJ

I don't disagree. But just because we KNOW we're equal, doesn't mean that we treat people equally. Poor/Rich. Men/Women. Black/White. Hispanic/Asian. These are all divisions which DO exist no matter how much we would try to ignore them. Wouldn't it be a more productive effort to work at resolving them. If there's not racial division, there will be mistreatment on the basis of how rich you are, where you grow up. Simply ignoring it.. and "let's all get along" doesn't really address the issue completely.

alienyouth9292
01-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Jesse-

Just a suggestion, but this is just a discussion. Whatever's are less than desirable. If you disagree, you are free to express that disagreement...

i just don't feel like going through my whole story explaing it again just because someone is against what i believe.:-\

DarkestRose
01-18-2007, 02:56 PM
I can definitely understand the African-American people being upset about the slavery their ancestors had to endure, as well as all the persecution with the Jim Crow laws and the white supremacy groups that existed back then. It seems we’ve only come so far since then, so it’s not like any of that stuff was too long ago [except slavery]. If I knew that my family was constantly getting harassed because of their race, I would probably be very indignant about it as well. So I am all for righting wrongs.

I just don’t see exactly what we’re supposed to do. I mean, it cannot be a holiday that they want because there is already Martin Luther King jr. day and Black History Month. Are they looking for a formal apology? For everybody to get together to work for social justice? As I stated, I realized that even today there is still racism, but I wonder what exactly is expected as a way to solve it?

unshakeable15
01-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Look at statistics, whites are no long the majority in this country. We're a divided nation between Whites, Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, and several other races. Another good example of racism at it's finest, in Fresno, Ca, my wife couldn't get a scholarship because she is white. All the scholarships were held for people of different races.

i jest about the scholarship thing a lot, but to be honest, i don't need it, not like a lot of the minorities do. Even though my parents are not helping me pay for college (not in any fashion whatsoever), just my upbringing and middle class family has given me opportunities that families on the lower financial spectrum have never seen. My parents were concerned about my homework and my grades because they had the time and the resources to do so. If i lived with just a mom or just a dad, and still have my four siblings, would they have time to work with me on homework that i couldn't get? Very likely not.

My job: i work at a used book store. Could i have gotten this job if i didn't enjoy books? Probably not. Would i have kept it if i didn't know how to accurately count money and keep a record of a cash register? NO (because there are many who've worked there in the past year who can't).

i have had a lot of opportunities given to me simply because i grew up in a middle class family (for most of my childhood, that is; we also had a period of lower classness as well). It's not because i'm white, but statistically, whites are the ones in power. Check out Congress: even though whites are no longer the majority, you wouldn't know it by looking at the representatives in the House or the Senate.

Again, i'm not saying i have more opportunities because i'm white, and my neighbor has fewer because he's black. i have more because i come from a middle class family. My family is middle class because of the opportunities we've had in the past to move up in life (from my grandparents to my great-grandparents).

Blacks haven't had that long to being their upward mobility. Until the Civil Rights Movement, it was unheard of to see a black man in any position of power. During WWII, they were sectioned off into their own regiments because the white soldiers didn't want to mix with them or have a black commander in charge of their unit. This discrepancy is the reason behind the void between blacks (in general) and whites (in general).

newday_7
01-18-2007, 09:09 PM
I think that everybody has become over sensetive these days, we've all become so spoiled that we don't realize how good we have it now. I've heard racists jokes and comments from every type of person about their own race and about so many others. Aswell alot of people living today were never even affected by any of this. I mean my grandpa's dad beat him when he was a kid, does that mean i should be going to any of his family that might be still alive and ask for payment because he was cruel to my ancestor? No of course not. We're so busy worrying about the past and focussing on all the bad things that happen beacsue or race, everybody just takes all the good things for granted and complains about all the bad stuff. Yes horrible things happen in this world and they always will until Jesus returns. Cause we're full of sin.

dawn of light
01-18-2007, 09:18 PM
i have had a lot of opportunities given to me simply because i grew up in a middle class family (for most of my childhood, that is; we also had a period of lower classness as well).
You know you pointed out some really good things that I've never thought of before.

I would complain about the scholarship thing too. As a white person in Winnipeg, there are probably less than 1/4 as many scholarships available as there are to Aboriginals. A girl I know with a 4.3 GPA can't get a scholarship while her Metis (half native) boyfriend gets thousands of dollars every year with a 3.0 GPA.

My parents aren't helping me at all with university either. And I don't live with them so I'm paying for rent and food as well as my education. But my mom also taught me how to read when I was 5, be independant, and take care of myself. So many native people in Winnipeg didn't have those opportunities while they were growing up. (I'm comparing natives in Canada to blacks in the US because they find themselves in much the same situation.)

I just found out today that World Vision gave money to the inner city children in Winnipeg. (Which are 95% native by the way). Some inner city children in our city, live like kids in a third world country. What Aboriginals and Native Americans really need to do is reshape their whole perspective and culture. This is no small feat, it's not going to happen in a matter of a few decades.

A person's childhood shapes their character. To be the first in a generation to break out of an old way of life and culture is almost impossible. A lot of the problems in Aboriginal (and black) culture is because they don't know any different, they've never been taught how to live a different way of life. It's not about who is being a "crybaby" or wanting to live off social services, it's because, as a society, they don't know how to change their circumstances.

smasth_the_tv
02-08-2007, 10:21 AM
i'm sooooo with u there man! DUDE! AND I'M BLACK! i think it's soo sad how that's all today's black youth has to complain about! we've never experianced slavery and yet we complain! i think it's sick how black kids will make it into any college alot faster than a white person can because if they dont its a "racial crime"! that's so wack! we are givin a free education and yet we waste that and drop out of skool and get the worse grades ever!our ansectors had the worse skool experiance ever and they've got the BEST grades and they're the smartest! we live with excuses and not explainations.:-\ sad. just sad.

smasth_the_tv
02-08-2007, 10:36 AM
i understand why blacks can be mad but seriously dude, get over it! and yeah, this is comin for a fellow black person. to add some humor to it, i denounced my black-ness.
here's a story i've GOT to tell:
ok....my friends and i are sittin' there in skool just doin' nothin and some chick comes up to me and asks me why im the only black person in the all white group. i looked at her wierd and told her that i was'nt black. ::] she was like: "dude yes you are!" i rolled up my sleeves and shoed her my arm and told her that i was'nt black. then i looked at my arm and was like: "dude, im not blac-....OH MY-...":o :o i turned and looked at my friends and was like: "dudes! how long have you known that i was black?!?!:o :o " my friends were like: "OOH MY GOD! DUDE YOUR BLACK?!" i was like: "DUDE! I CANNT GO HOME LOOKING LIKE THIS! WHAT WILL MY MOM THINK?! WHAT WILL I WEAR TOMORROW?! I CANNT COME INTO SKOOL WEARING MY SKILLET SHIRTS! I'LL GET BEAT UP!"
the chick just looks at me wierd and walks away.:-\ ???
the funny thing about it is the sterotypes. just cuz im black does'nt mean i have to act it! im the only one in my family that listens to metal, and any music that has yelling and screaming. im the only one that skateboards, and 99.9% of the clothes in my closet are in the color black or grey or white. it's the fact that black people are more prejudice than anyone and they want to call someone else racsist!
man, whatever!

Vuren
02-08-2007, 09:45 PM
I can definitely understand the African-American people being upset about the slavery their ancestors had to endure, as well as all the persecution with the Jim Crow laws and the white supremacy groups that existed back then. It seems we’ve only come so far since then, so it’s not like any of that stuff was too long ago [except slavery]. If I knew that my family was constantly getting harassed because of their race, I would probably be very indignant about it as well. So I am all for righting wrongs.

I just don’t see exactly what we’re supposed to do. I mean, it cannot be a holiday that they want because there is already Martin Luther King jr. day and Black History Month. Are they looking for a formal apology? For everybody to get together to work for social justice? As I stated, I realized that even today there is still racism, but I wonder what exactly is expected as a way to solve it?

right...so if the blacks can complain about being made slaves i liked to complain about how the north stole the lively hood of most georgia...and i'd like a formal appolgoy and lots of pay off money...i mean "reperations". Also I'd like a formal appology from lincoln for being a racist!

Vuren
02-08-2007, 09:49 PM
i understand why blacks can be mad but seriously dude, get over it! and yeah, this is comin for a fellow black person. to add some humor to it, i denounced my black-ness.
here's a story i've GOT to tell:
ok....my friends and i are sittin' there in skool just doin' nothin and some chick comes up to me and asks me why im the only black person in the all white group. i looked at her wierd and told her that i was'nt black. ::] she was like: "dude yes you are!" i rolled up my sleeves and shoed her my arm and told her that i was'nt black. then i looked at my arm and was like: "dude, im not blac-....OH MY-...":o :o i turned and looked at my friends and was like: "dudes! how long have you known that i was black?!?!:o :o " my friends were like: "OOH MY GOD! DUDE YOUR BLACK?!" i was like: "DUDE! I CANNT GO HOME LOOKING LIKE THIS! WHAT WILL MY MOM THINK?! WHAT WILL I WEAR TOMORROW?! I CANNT COME INTO SKOOL WEARING MY SKILLET SHIRTS! I'LL GET BEAT UP!"
the chick just looks at me wierd and walks away.:-\ ???
the funny thing about it is the sterotypes. just cuz im black does'nt mean i have to act it! im the only one in my family that listens to metal, and any music that has yelling and screaming. im the only one that skateboards, and 99.9% of the clothes in my closet are in the color black or grey or white. it's the fact that black people are more prejudice than anyone and they want to call someone else racsist!
man, whatever!

sadly steorotypes have truth behind them more often then naught. but the stereotype of the gangster is repeated because a majority of the black teens want to live up to the life styles of thier "hero's" ie. 2 pac, snoop dogg, and 50 cent. I knew a black kid in school was called an oreo because he strived to get out of that BS. so even those who want to get out of it get hooked in by peers.

smasth_the_tv
02-12-2007, 08:43 AM
true so true. it it really bugs the crap out of me cuz i have to hear it everyday!!!!:-X

DarkestRose
02-12-2007, 03:14 PM
right...so if the blacks can complain about being made slaves i liked to complain about how the north stole the lively hood of most georgia...and i'd like a formal appolgoy and lots of pay off money...i mean "reperations". Also I'd like a formal appology from lincoln for being a racist!

I think you’ve misunderstood what I said, so I will rephrase it. I already stated that I was not for reparations in a previous post. My point was that, many of the African-Americans who are upset about racial inequality stemming back from slavery, don’t really give people much to go by in the way of making amends. I’m someone who would want to empathize with them and keep harmony between everybody, but they don’t seem as honest about a “formal apology” or whatever it they say they want. They seem to just want to complain, which is frustrating.

somasoul
02-18-2007, 08:25 AM
I've kinda held back getting into this debate. I'm mean, I can only stir up a poo-storm here.

Anyway, In the mornings I listen to black radio on WOLB in Baltimore. The things black people say would absolutly ruin a white man. If you listen to what Al Sharpton or Larry Young or the callers to that show say if a white man were to say it it would be the end of his career. All you have to do is replace the "Black" for "White". They complain about whites, asians, middle easterners, hispanics and..........other blacks.

I've been listening for over a year and while the callers and hosts come down on whites more than anyone else they complain that the hispanics are taking their jobs. That Asians and middle-easterns stare at them in stores afraid of shop-lifting. They even go so far as to say that "African" Blacks are really black, just like rich/republican/successful blacks aren't really black. Apparently, to many blacks, you are only black if you listen to hip hop, live in an urban area, and make under $30,000 a year (Unless your wealth was generated by sports or becoming a hip hop star).

Anyway, this country has got a problem with racism and the majority of it is in the black community. Black people are the most racist group of people in this country. Heck, they even judge eachother based on how black they are labeling themselves "light skinned" or "dark skinned".

skynes
02-18-2007, 08:45 AM
As Chris Rock says:

"Who's the most racist people in the world? BLACK people? Why? Cause we hate black people too."

"You can't have a wide screen TV, why? Cause you'll get robbed. The guy next door will rob you then come over the next day and say 'I hear ya got robbed'"

It was a stand up comedy yeah... But it shows the point.

dawn of light
02-18-2007, 06:38 PM
Why is anybody proud of their skin colour? It's not like they had a choice when they were born. It's pure chance that your parents happened to have those particular DNA strands which gave you your colour.

People need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Black, white, yellow, brown, moccha, red, maybe even polka dot. Who cares? We're humans. Humanity. It's a common thread between us all. Who cares what colour their skin is? Why should they be proud of it? Be proud of your history, yes, but don't be proud of your skin colour.

I wish I could say I was proud to be human, but I'm not. Not when we're so superficial as to judge people based on the colours of their skin.

Maybe that's something we should strive for? Not pride in our colour, but pride in our species? Maybe once people open their eyes and stop seeing colours and start seeing people, then, just maybe, I'll be proud to be human.

This was posted as a myspace bulletin in response to a few "white pride" rants.

Maybe I'm being a little idealistic, but I honestly don't know what the big deal is about a person's skin colour, race, or ethnicity.

"Colour is only skin deep." It's true, it has nothing to do with a person's soul and who they really are deep inside. Genetically, every human on the planet is more alike than different. We're all human.

alorian
02-18-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm as idealistic as Rachel, if not more :P

DarkestRose
02-19-2007, 04:47 PM
I agree w/ Rachel too.

smasth_the_tv
02-26-2007, 07:53 AM
i think we give black people too much. they (why am i speaking like im talkin about another race? it my race!^_^ LOL)ok ignore that....but anyways! they-ok scrath that- we are given too much and we're told that we should get things because of what happened to our ancestors. we were'nt even treated all that bad if you think about it. if we did what we were told to do then we got privliges! and if you really think about it why the heck do we have Kawanza? all it really is, is another holiday for balck people to take over! we already have a whole month! why do we need Christmas?!

alienyouth9292
02-26-2007, 02:31 PM
i think we give black people too much. they (why am i speaking like im talkin about another race? it my race!^_^ LOL)ok ignore that....but anyways! they-ok scrath that- we are given too much and we're told that we should get things because of what happened to our ancestors. we were'nt even treated all that bad if you think about it. if we did what we were told to do then we got privliges! and if you really think about it why the heck do we have Kawanza? all it really is, is another holiday for balck people to take over! we already have a whole month! why do we need Christmas?!

are you sure you're black?????? lol

unshakeable15
02-26-2007, 05:33 PM
we were'nt even treated all that bad if you think about it. if we did what we were told to do then we got privliges!
All i'm going to take issue with (because the rest is opinion, so i can't take issue with it) is your statement above.

There were slave owners who were generous and kindly toward their slaves, but that was not the norm. The common practice, and the way slave owners were told to act, was with a harsh hand. The only way many kept slaves in line was through punishment. Blacks were thought of as less than human, which is why it's ok for them to be enslaved. So if you need to crack the whip (literally), then do so! Get them to work harder! And if they work harder on their own without the whip, good! That's what they should be doing anyway.

Again, this is not the mindset of all slave owners, but it was the vast majority who lived under this pretense. So, saying "it wasn't all that bad" is like the Israelites saying that about Egypt because they didn't want to take on the Canaanites! (And we know how that turned out, right? Add 40 years to the desert wandering, killing off an entire generation.)

Bassplayer
02-27-2007, 11:52 AM
you know, i think the blacks have been paid back enough. although we didn't treat them as equals until a few decades ago, we are now treating them as more than equals. they can get a job just because they are a "minority" (which by the way is total bullcrap.) we don't need to pay them back for their slavery b/c they have been sucking us dry through wel-fare. i'm not saying this about all blacks, because i know some blacks who have actually worked hard and are respectable people. but a large part expect the US government to take care of them and instead of getting a job, they live off of wel-fare. now there are whites, asians, and hispanics who also do this. i'm not against wel-fare by any means, but i think that it is being abused. wel-fare was designed to be used to help someone go back to school and get their education so that they can get a job, no so that they can sit around and be lazy.

if they was payment for slavery, then i want payment for being part American Indian. I want 200 acres to replace the land that was taken from my people. i also want money for being Irish, b/c they've been persecuted too. if i got payment for everything that was done wrong to one of my ancestors, i'd be freakin' rich. it's completely absurd to even talk about paying them back. blacks are no longer a minority. i'm so sick of them crying "racist" at every chance they get. and i can't believe the way that they talk about other races. us white will get shot for talking that way. and look at how rich the people are who are pushing for payment and apologies. they're freakin' insanely rich!! why don't they just pay everyone back?

now i don't have any problems with blacks, asians, hispanics, chinese, japanese, or any others. as long as they don't illeagally break into my country, suck my money through welfare, and then just sit on their butts while i work to pay them. i work for me and my family, not some lazy bum who thinks that we owe him. put the past behind you, move on and stop harping on what you can't change. what's gone is gone, not move on.

unshakeable15
02-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Way to use stereotypes as the basis of your argument. *rolls eyes*

Just so you (plural, as in the generic "you") know, saying "not everyone is like this" before or after dissemination on a topic using a stereotype does not dispel your use of that stereotype. Saying "Americans should be more caring about other people and people groups, not so selfish, not that all Americans are this way" does not reduce the impact of the stereotype whatsoever.

Let's try to post using facts and data, or at the very least, not using stereotypes (again, this is directed generally, not individually).

dawn of light
02-27-2007, 01:54 PM
then i want payment for being part American Indian. I want 200 acres to replace the land that was taken from my people.
If you lived in Canada, you'd get it.

alienyouth9292
02-27-2007, 03:43 PM
you know, i think the blacks have been paid back enough. although we didn't treat them as equals until a few decades ago, we are now treating them as more than equals. they can get a job just because they are a "minority" (which by the way is total bullcrap.) we don't need to pay them back for their slavery b/c they have been sucking us dry through wel-fare. i'm not saying this about all blacks, because i know some blacks who have actually worked hard and are respectable people. but a large part expect the US government to take care of them and instead of getting a job, they live off of wel-fare. now there are whites, asians, and hispanics who also do this. i'm not against wel-fare by any means, but i think that it is being abused. wel-fare was designed to be used to help someone go back to school and get their education so that they can get a job, no so that they can sit around and be lazy.

if they was payment for slavery, then i want payment for being part American Indian. I want 200 acres to replace the land that was taken from my people. i also want money for being Irish, b/c they've been persecuted too. if i got payment for everything that was done wrong to one of my ancestors, i'd be freakin' rich. it's completely absurd to even talk about paying them back. blacks are no longer a minority. i'm so sick of them crying "racist" at every chance they get. and i can't believe the way that they talk about other races. us white will get shot for talking that way. and look at how rich the people are who are pushing for payment and apologies. they're freakin' insanely rich!! why don't they just pay everyone back?

now i don't have any problems with blacks, asians, hispanics, chinese, japanese, or any others. as long as they don't illeagally break into my country, suck my money through welfare, and then just sit on their butts while i work to pay them. i work for me and my family, not some lazy bum who thinks that we owe him. put the past behind you, move on and stop harping on what you can't change. what's gone is gone, not move on.

thats what i was trying to say all along....nice way to sum it up!:)

btw, don't even get me started on illegal immigrants.....lol

V-Ball Queen 32
02-27-2007, 04:05 PM
It isn't the our responsibility to pay for what we (150+ years ago, not us personally) did to African American slaves. No one is still alive on either side of the issue, so we can't expect to take the blame of thousands of deceased. I wouldn't give my neighbor's grandchildren $50 a month for allowance because my dad used to call their grandparents names. The children wouldn't understand why they're being treated so well, except that their Mommy's parents were teased as children.
They might want the unfairness to be recognized; that's why we dedicate the entire month of February and have Martin Luther King day in their honor. Just a block away from where I go to church in Duluth, MN, there's a memorial for four men of color who were lynched. They aren't forgotten by any means.
We have apologized and shown our regret, but we can't do any more without us being taken advantage of; exactly what they're mad about. I'm just wondering: Do African Americans want justice (which we've served as best we can), or revenge? (The latter will just give us the same excuse as you 150 years from now, so I apologize to your great-great grandchildren in advance.)

smasth_the_tv
02-28-2007, 07:09 AM
are you sure you're black?????? lol

hey, that's what my mom says and my birth certificate says but i really have no clue where the hecl they got that from!???? ;) just cuz/ im a little darker than that normal white person.???

unshakeable15
03-03-2007, 10:06 PM
It isn't the our responsibility to pay for what we (150+ years ago, not us personally) did to African American slaves. No one is still alive on either side of the issue, so we can't expect to take the blame of thousands of deceased. I wouldn't give my neighbor's grandchildren $50 a month for allowance because my dad used to call their grandparents names. The children wouldn't understand why they're being treated so well, except that their Mommy's parents were teased as children.

They might want the unfairness to be recognized; that's why we dedicate the entire month of February and have Martin Luther King day in their honor. Just a block away from where I go to church in Duluth, MN, there's a memorial for four men of color who were lynched. They aren't forgotten by any means.

We have apologized and shown our regret, but we can't do any more without us being taken advantage of; exactly what they're mad about. I'm just wondering: Do African Americans want justice (which we've served as best we can), or revenge? (The latter will just give us the same excuse as you 150 years from now, so I apologize to your great-great grandchildren in advance.)
In some ways, this is one of the better posts i've read for the past couple of pages. Not only do you say "This does not work" but you give an alternative. Instead of simply griping about, well, people griping, you give another plan of action, or rather, another way of looking at things. Thank you.

alienyouth9292
03-04-2007, 09:07 AM
In some ways, this is one of the better posts i've read for the past couple of pages. Not only do you say "This does not work" but you give an alternative. Instead of simply griping about, well, people griping, you give another plan of action, or rather, another way of looking at things. Thank you.

yea, that summed it up....